MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I share your impulse to wonder why LE would hesitate to deploy this awesome tool. But I bet it will prove tricky to apply, or at least until LE and the legal system gets its arms around it. Remember the polygraph. In some ways, DNA face estimations would be less good than a witness sketch - DNA won't tell you how fat, old, hairy, tatooed, pierced or scared up a perp is - and we know that witness sketches are often of limited help, and sometimes mislead.

Yes, it could be a bit tricky with respect to certain traits, as they'd have to say that someone is "likely" this or like that. (For instance, someone with African ancestry is likely going to have dark skin color, whereas someone with Scandinavian ancestry is likely going to have quite pale skin color. But those things aren't set in stone.)

But there are some things that I'm pretty sure they can tell for certain with advanced DNA testing. Eye color, for instance. Simply being able to rule in (or even out) those with certain eye color would be very helpful. And eye color isn't something people can change unless they use tinted contact lens.

So, *if* the information in that article is accurate and if LE believes that the killer is still a threat (not deceased or in jail), I'm dumbfounded as to why they haven't done this testing sooner. Someone who kills so viciously in broad daylight is a major public safety threat, even if he targeted Vanessa.

Article quoting police today saying that they believe the killer 'likely has some familiarity with the broad geographic area'.

Article quoting police today saying that they believe the killer 'likely has some familiarity with the broad geographic area'.

Here is a link for that information if peoplle are interested:
<snip>
"After last week’s announcement that the suspect in the Princeton jogger murder may drive a dark colored SUV, police are now saying the killer likely knows the area.
State police spokesman David Procopio told WBZ-TV Monday the person who killed Vanessa Marcotte “most likely has some familiarity with the broad geographic area.”
<snip>
"Procopio said tips have been steady since the new information was released last week, but haven’t matched the volume at the beginning of the investigation."
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/11/...r-murder-familiar-with-broad-geographic-area/

Posting some screen shots of the trees near where the body was found that are from Bob Ward's Facebook talk. I think they look like new burns and then there is the other burnt tree in the background. I do think the trees suggest the site was prearranged (i.e. the killer set up those trees beforehand) or that at least the killer chose that spot beforehand. If the crime wasn't random, I believe he'd probably watched her run from BSR before. I also think it's possible he'd watched the house at various points. It's a heavily wooded area and it was summer. Easy to stay hidden.

As for the killer, the risk of the crime suggests a thrill seeker, possibly someone with alcohol or substance issues and arrests for (at the very least) smaller crimes - for fighting, speeding, etc. I also believe such a risk taker would have posted "clues" on social media accounts. By now he's feeling confident police have nothing and he thinks he's smarter than they are. Speculation only!
Respectfully snipped pics ;

Thanks for the screen shots. I have seen the area but I don't have a link. If you have a link to where the screen shots came from that would be helpful.
Thanks so much!

Respectfully snipped pics ;

Thanks for the screen shots. I have seen the area but I don't have a link. If you have a link to where the screen shots came from that would be helpful.
Thanks so much!
I'm not speaking for Jef, because he may have a different source, but those photos were posted on Bob Wards facebook page, a day or two after the crime.
Due to the amount of negative comments he received for posting them, he took them down, along with a lot of the comments, on Aug 12th, and he posted doing so.

https://www.facebook.com/BobWardNews/

I'm not speaking for Jef, because he may have a different source, but those photos were posted on Bob Wards facebook page, a day or two after the crime.
Due to the amount of negative comments he received for posting them, he took them down, along with a lot of the comments, on Aug 12th, and he posted doing so.

https://www.facebook.com/BobWardNews/
Just saw this. Haven't read any other comments. Yes it is on Ward"s fb page. Still us as of this morning. Did not see comments you are referring to.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Posting some screen shots of the trees near where the body was found that are from Bob Ward's Facebook talk. I think they look like new burns and then there is the other burnt tree in the background
. I do think the trees suggest the site was prearranged (i.e. the killer set up those trees beforehand) or that at least the killer chose that spot beforehand. If the crime wasn't random, I believe he'd probably watched her run from BSR before. I also think it's possible he'd watched the house at various points. It's a heavily wooded area and it was summer. Easy to stay hidden.

As for the killer, the risk of the crime suggests a thrill seeker, possibly someone with alcohol or substance issues and arrests for (at the very least) smaller crimes - for fighting, speeding, etc. I also believe such a risk taker would have posted "clues" on social media accounts. By now he's feeling confident police have nothing and he thinks he's smarter than they are. Speculation only!

attachment.php
I do think the trees suggest the site was prearranged (i.e. the killer set up those trees beforehand) or that at least the killer chose that spot beforehand. If the crime wasn't random, I believe he'd probably watched her run from BSR before. I also think it's possible he'd watched the house at various points. It's a heavily wooded area and it was summer. Easy to stay hidden.

Yes, nice work, JEF. I have studied the area from other videos and possess a few SSs of the same burned areas. The set-up does appear to be an already prepared CS. That would classify it as a crime of opportunity, in that, the Unsub waited until she was taking her jog to snag her into his designed snare. An opportunist who has done this before perhaps. There is no evidence that she was a target or that she knew her killer.

Yes, VM was strong, athletic and possessed stamina but she was short of stature placing her at a sheer disadvantage to a much taller, powerful male with an ace up of his sleeve with the element of surprise. This person was wounded perhaps as he was attempting to control with strangulation of a rope. Someone saw him wounded or acting slightly different or suspicious following this murder.

He likely lived in the area or lived there in his past due to the remote location. The point is that the Unsub knew that lip on the side of the road that extended into a car path a half mile from her mother's home. This assault has been planned for as many as three weeks, possibly longer, due to VMs frequency in visits to Princeton.

Unsub brought everything needed with him, possibly at set-up such as the ropes ties for bondage. For the burning, I am hoping she was not conscious as a long stemmed BIC lighter or two would get the job done of burning her body parts.

If he was burning the tips of her fingers to remove prints or his DNA, her hair to disfigure her and the soles of her feet then he was making sure she wasn't walking away. The torture to this young lady is a high level of heinousness from a depraved heart. Perhaps he did not know her and it was a true crime of a predator in a dark SUV locating the perfect petite victim in the middle of no where. All MOO and OMHO

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/pol...search-for-vanessa-marcottes-killer/469260792 11/21

""We are thinking quality, not quantity, at this point, and detectives are working diligently on every piece of information," a spokesperson told FOX25."

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/11/...r-murder-familiar-with-broad-geographic-area/ 11/21

&#8220;Our hope is that those (tips) that have come might reinforce or advance other information we already had,&#8221;

http://www.wcvb.com/article/investi...ps-in-marcotte-homicide-investigation/8348928 11/21

"Investigators are still asking anyone who may have information to call 508-453-7589 and speak to investigators."

I keep thinking it's a random predator/serial killer that was out trolling for victims, happened to spot her running and she's beautiful, it's desolate and he attacks her. I spoke to my dad about this and he reminded me that if the perp's MO was to go out looking for joggers, Princeton is about the last place someone would go as it's very remote and they would be waiting a long, long time to come across a jogger. That made sense to me. My dad thinks this guy knew her somehow or at least had seen her before. I am desperate for this guy to be caught. Praying they have some solid leads.

I keep thinking it's a random predator/serial killer that was out trolling for victims, happened to spot her running and she's beautiful, it's desolate and he attacks her. I spoke to my dad about this and he reminded me that if the perp's MO was to go out looking for joggers, Princeton is about the last place someone would go as it's very remote and they would be waiting a long, long time to come across a jogger. That made sense to me. My dad thinks this guy knew her somehow or at least had seen her before. I am desperate for this guy to be caught. Praying they have some solid leads.

Thank you, Michigan. Sounds like this is tough for you to deal with, so sharing your thoughts means that much more. Please feel free to ask or discuss whatever aspect you wish in PM's or here. The mods, especially, and so many of the sleuthers here have experience, knowledge and information that may help you, as we all wait for Justice for Vanessa.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know of an inventory of public cameras in Princeton, if any? I know its a small town but there appears to be a business towards the end of the road. Obviously this is at the top of LE's list initially, but I do not recall reading of any known camera inventory.

Does anyone know of an inventory of public cameras in Princeton, if any? I know its a small town but there appears to be a business towards the end of the road. Obviously this is at the top of LE's list initially, but I do not recall reading of any known camera inventory.
Welcome.
To the best of my knowledge, there is only one public camera in Princeton, and that is a weather camera on the summit of Mount Wachusett.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. My thoughts are with Vanessa's family today and with all law enforcement officers working to solve this crime.

Ok - not surprising, thanks.

As much as no one wants a police state, it certainly would help investigations like these if street lights were equipped with a Go-Pro like camera. I've been following this since it happened. Its just so random and senseless. Fingers crossed more info flows.

In my opinion your dad is absolutely right, Princeton is not where you would go trolling for a victim, I have said this all along. I think the perp absolutely new Vanessa and I think she knew him. But that still leaves a lot of various scenarios.

But to me the idea this was random, or she was a random victim is almost impossible.

What business? There is a church on the road. That's it though.

As a local I'd be surprised to learn anywhere but maybe the bank has security cameras. I don't think any cameras would have picked up the perp.

my opinion and thought that this killer could be related to this one and also the one that killed ally brugar maybe?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ive-missing-weeks-officials-article-1.2886428

[FONT=&quot]Based off Papini's interviews with investigators, police are searching for a dark colored SUV and two women they consider "dangerous" and armed with a hand gun, the sheriff said.

police are also searching for a dark colored SUV in this case, plus armed with hand gun is describing the killer of ally bruegar who was shot and killed.

hope they get the killer if she got the license plate of the car it be lot easier.[/FONT]

In my opinion your dad is absolutely right, Princeton is not where you would go trolling for a victim, I have said this all along. I think the perp absolutely new Vanessa and I think she knew him. But that still leaves a lot of various scenarios.

But to me the idea this was random, or she was a random victim is almost impossible.

I am starting to agree with you (and my dad) but wondering - maybe creeps like this drive around with the supplies to commit a crime like this and they are always ready and just wait until they see someone they want to attack. I have mentioned that I am from close to the area but I'm not super familiar with Princeton (other than the mountain). Question: is this road in any way a road that people might travel on to get from point A to point B? Could he have been driving to another town or even a close by state and been on this road, happened upon her randomly and just taken the opportunity to commit the crime? Or is the road really totally off the beaten path? If so, could he have seen her before she turned onto that road and followed her from a more busy road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa