GUILTY MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #8 *Arrest*

The way I understand it. He has 2 kids, and one from his wifes previous relationship/marriage. all living together.

I thought one of the MassLive articles stated one child was in PR. I need to go back and look. :)

jmo

You don't need to go back and look, Dot. I saw several sources (incl. Boston Globe) reporting the same thing -- two kids here and one in PR. Rocky may have read a source saying what he posted. To further throw a wrench in things, I also saw one source that reported a third scenario -- one child with current wife and two who live in PR. I don't put stock in this one, as if I recall, the neighbor that was interviewed said he has a "couple of kids" -- so it seems more likely there are two or three here, not one.

Prob. not relevant to case, but I'd still like to know the situation.

The internet is a mixed blessing. I can state with confidence that there is a lot of copying of others' work in the media -- which means that poor reporting of facts by one outlet often results in inaccurate info spreading.

I'm confused- did Ortiz only deliver to post offices or did he also deliver to homes and businesses?

From the article in post #9 in this thread...
"He typically worked from 4-11 a.m. and sometimes on weekends. Colon-Ortiz was not on scheduled working hours at the time Marcotte is believed to have been killed, but according to prosecutors, his phone was pinged in that area on the day of the crime."

In some article, I got the impression he did the SmartPost deliveries to post offices, but regardless, he wasn't working that particular Sunday.
ETA: otoh, the smartpost thing may have just been speculation within one of the threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having trouble moving between threads and quotes on Tapatalk and trying to catch up from yesterday afternoon.

Excellent review searunner! [emoji106]

Searunner stated, "*Why did he move from PR? Hope we learn more. Given his age and the viciousness of this crime, I have zero doubt that he has committed crimes against women before. Having no record just means he's gotten away with his crimes. He was only in the US for about two-three months (we don’t know when in May he moved here) before he committed this crime. That seems incredulous to me. His impulse control is apparently nil. "

I strongly agree that he has done this before, and the more posts I read and research online I think he's definitely connected to rapes in Puerto Rico. Do we know when he left PR and what area of PR he lived in or where his other child lives in PR. The composite of the Santurce Rapist (just outside San Juan) keeps haunting me with its resemblance to Ortiz.
-JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This article says that Colon-Ortiz was born in Bayamon, PR but doesn't say if he always lived there. http://www.fox25boston.com/news/no-...defends-suspect-in-marcottes-murder/513813890

I tried to search public online PR court records through "Portal de la Rama Judicial" http://www.ramajudicial.pr/consultas/casos.html but there are sooo many hits for the name Angel Colon Ortiz. It's such a common name on the island. I wholeheartedly agree with others that this was not his first time committing such a crime. It's chilling to me how he posed as someone needing help much like Ted Bundy approached women and asked for help.

I also thinks he knows a lot more english than he lets on.
"public school instruction in Puerto Rico is conducted entirely in Spanish. English is taught as a second language and is a compulsory subject at all levels."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Puerto_Rico

If Angelo is responsible for those attempted abductions (and like others, I believe there is a very strong possibility he is), his brother could have been his accomplice. Or if he wasn't, then Angelo could have met someone sick like himself through his brother pretty quickly.

That's a good point. It made me think back to G. Ribot (Princeton postal worker) who told reporters about her creepy interactions with Ortiz. She stated Ortiz was sometimes accompanied by a partner, whom Ortiz would share sexual comments and innuendoes. My questions- who was his Spanish speaking delivery partner and what did he look like? Could this person have been involved in the other attempted abductions?

"Ribot said Colon-Ortiz would usually be on a Bluetooth headset or with a partner and talking in Spanish and that he'd make sexual comments, sometimes about Ribot or the postmaster.

"I guess he figured no one understood Spanish," Ribot said.

She did. It's her first language.

"He made some comments about how me and the postmaster looked, sexual comments," Ribot said. "
http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/04/princeton_postal_worker_recall.html

JMO

This article says that Colon-Ortiz was born in Bayamon, PR but doesn't say if he always lived there. http://www.fox25boston.com/news/no-...defends-suspect-in-marcottes-murder/513813890

I also thinks he knows a lot more english than he lets on.
"public school instruction in Puerto Rico is conducted entirely in Spanish. English is taught as a second language and is a compulsory subject at all levels."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Puerto_Rico

I absolutely agree with you! I teach in a MA city and school district that is predominately Hispanic as a traveling special education teacher working with students ages 3-21 years. The majority of my students are of Puerto Rican heritage, and several of my academic track students who arrived from PR in the last 3 years all had some formal English classes in PR.
JMO

There is so much information and "mis-information" on the net and it's hard to weed out the actual facts, but this is an interesting article (in Spanish) that says that neighbors and people who know Angel Colon Ortiz believe he is Dominican and is using documents that are fake/not his. They also say his spanish accent is not "boricua" ("Boricua" is what native PR islanders call themselves). https://papaosord.blogspot.com/2017/04/creen-es-dominicano-sospechoso-de.html

There is so much information and "mis-information" on the net and it's hard to weed out the actual facts, but this is an interesting articles (in Spanish) that says that people neighbors and people who know Angel Colon Ortiz believe he is Dominican and is using documents that are fake/not his. They also say his spanish accent is not "boricua" ("Boricua" is what native PR islanders call themselves). https://papaosord.blogspot.com/2017/04/creen-es-dominicano-sospechoso-de.html

Interesting point and great research! In my own experience with students and families in my district, I have met several families who came to PR from the Dominican Republic and then later traveled to the mainland US. It seems to be a more common occurrence than I previously thought.
JMO

You don't need to go back and look, Dot. I saw several sources (incl. Boston Globe) reporting the same thing -- two kids here and one in PR. Rocky may have read a source saying what he posted. To further throw a wrench in things, I also saw one source that reported a third scenario -- one child with current wife and two who live in PR. I don't put stock in this one, as if I recall, the neighbor that was interviewed said he has a "couple of kids" -- so it seems more likely there are two or three here, not one.

Prob. not relevant to case, but I'd still like to know the situation.

The internet is a mixed blessing. I can state with confidence that there is a lot of copying of others' work in the media -- which means that poor reporting of facts by one outlet often results in inaccurate info spreading.
I am looking for the article that states he was living in Worcester with his 2 kids and another from his wifes past relationship/marriage.
Just when you think it can't get more contradictory, it does.
Under the second pic, it states he lives with 3 kids. Then if you scroll down right under the map, It states 3 kids, followed by the sentence right under that, stating 2 kids.
I missed the story that said he had one in PR.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/04/what_we_do_and_dont_know_about.html

Interesting point and great research! In my own experience with students and families in my district, I have met several families who came to PR from the Dominican Republic and then later traveled to the mainland US. It seems to be a more common occurrence than I previously thought.
JMO

Many online spanish news sites are also carrying the story that Colon-Ortiz is actually Dominican. The articles are in spanish.

http://www.orgullodominicano.com/ar...minicano-el-que-mat-a-una-ejecutiva-de-google

http://elsoldesantiago.com/creen-dominicano-sospechoso-asesinar-ejecutiva-google-corredora-boston/

I’m just catching up from yesterday - really great post from Searunner and thanks Rocky for the outline of the knowns vs unknowns. I agree with almost all your points except for how long he was with her. My guess is that she didn’t reach his vehicle until ~1:30 - and I think he probably turned her cell phone off at 2:11, after it was all over, so only around 45 minutes. MOO

Regarding if VM was the specific target, I’m slowly changing my way of thinking. I initially thought she was targeted directly but I’m not sure he would have had the opportunity to interact with VM enough to know her schedule. I’ve been dwelling on the fact the CO had only been in the US for 3 months before this attack and he started working soon after moving here. He did not have a chance to get familiar with the area.

SO - where was he comfortable? What was he familiar with?

As others have suggested I totally think this was not his first attack and I am strongly considering that he was behind the Northborough attack as well. Here’s what I’m thinking:
-May 2016: CO moves to Worcester, gets a job working for Fed-Ex contractor within 2 weeks, works 4am-11am, weekdays, some weekends; this does not leave much time for him to explore the community

**Assuming - MOO – that he is a repeat predator and has done this before in PR, he probably immediately starts to look for places where he can easily attack women

-June 2016: Big assumption here - if, as hypothesized, he works out of the Northborough FedEx warehouse, he would first feel familiar with the area around his workplace. He scopes out the roads, nearby parks, and attacks a jogger in the vicinity of his work; she escapes; he’s forced to find a new location

-August 2016: He’s been driving the Princeton route for approximately ~3 months; has noticed women walking/jogging on BSR; it’s rural, fairly secluded, and there is a good pull-off near the cart path; he decides this is the area of his next attack

On the day of VMs attack, maybe he was tied up with family obligations in the am (church?) and wasn’t able to leave Princeton until ~12:00, putting him on BSR at 12:30/12:45ish. I don’t think he could have been there for very long or else there would probably be additional witness testimony. He opens his trunk, talks or pretends to talk on his cell, and waits.

MOO

Really terrific post. I see merit in both theories, as I said in my post. Agree that he probably wasn't there much before 12:45 -- at least not with his hood up -- for the reason you stated, but wanted to throw it out as a possibility.

I noticed you said "pretends to talk" on the phone -- agree that could be the case and I've not see that mentioned. He's stupid, but it's hard to believe anyone could be so stupid to make a call from what could soon be an abduction or rape scene.

Yes, Rocky's list was very nice -- thanks, Rocky.

Really terrific post. I see merit in both theories, as I said in my post. Agree that he probably wasn't there much before 12:45 -- at least not with his hood up -- for the reason you stated, but wanted to throw it out as a possibility.

I noticed you said "pretends to talk" on the phone -- agree that could be the case and I've not see that mentioned. He's stupid, but it's hard to believe anyone could be so stupid to make a call from what could soon be an abduction or rape scene.

They have his phone pinging off the tower, so at some point, he must have made a call.
I agree he couldn't have been there much before 12.45. I am still surprised a call wasn't made to the PD, or that they didn't ride by in that 1 1/2 hr time frame.

There is so much information and "mis-information" on the net and it's hard to weed out the actual facts, but this is an interesting article (in Spanish) that says that neighbors and people who know Angel Colon Ortiz believe he is Dominican and is using documents that are fake/not his. They also say his spanish accent is not "boricua" ("Boricua" is what native PR islanders call themselves). https://papaosord.blogspot.com/2017/04/creen-es-dominicano-sospechoso-de.html

Great work! I mentioned earlier today that his citizenship still needs to be vetted. The Statie I spoke with may have been right about this happening a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks so much for posting. I'm going to check these out now -- can use Google to translate if in Spanish. I won't be surprised if what you said is being reported turns out to be the case. Something is rotten -- or seems so -- in the state of Denmark, so to speak. I think his status and his possible connection to the two attempted abductions are why murders charged aren't expected for about another month.

Throwing something out to the group:

Re: LE using the word "broad" last Nov when they released the statement that they believe a male having access to a dark-colored SUV who had broad knowledge of the area was involved in this crime. Paraphrasing.

I suspected back then that there was significance to the word "broad," as did a couple others. But nobody, I believe, expressed then or more recently the thought that the main reason the word broad was chosen is because LE suspected back then that Vanessa's killer was also responsible for the two attempted abductions.

What does everyone think? Is this the main reason LE chose that word? I say, yes.

I agree, stupid in many ways.
Let me add arrogant.
1) Parked his car along that road for as long as he did.
2) Made at least one phone call from the scene.
3) Drove around in the same SUV, knowing people were looking for it.
4) Volunteered to give the cops his DNA.
5) Made no attempt to hide the body.
Anyone else besides me think this guy did this so many times before that he was feeling rather confident he could get away with it and would never be caught? (maybe excluding the murder part, maybe not)
Anyone else besides me think he thought he was smarter than the Cops?

Throwing something out to the group:

Re: LE using the word "broad" last Nov when they released the statement that they believe a male having access to a dark-colored SUV who had broad knowledge of the area was involved in this crime. Paraphrasing.

I suspected back then that there was significance to the word "broad," as did a couple others. But nobody, I believe, expressed then or more recently the thought that the main reason the word broad was chosen is because LE suspected back then that Vanessa's killer was also responsible for the two attempted abductions.

What does everyone think? Is this the main reason LE chose that word? I say, yes.
You may be right, but, I think they added the word "broad" in November, because they had canvassed the entire neighborhood, and no longer thought that he lived near the crime scene.
At the very beginning, they didn't use that word, in fact, many profile experts said he was very familiar with that area because it was his "comfort zone"

They have his phone pinging off the tower, so at some point, he must have made a call.
I agree he couldn't have been there much before 12.45. I am still surprised a call wasn't made to the PD, or that they didn't ride by in that 1 1/2 hr time frame.

I totally agree that it's really surprising that the cops didn't ride by in that 1.5 hr time frame and investigate. I have seen the map of Princeton numerous times and there are hardly any roads!

Yes, saw the news about the ping. I had thought maybe he didn't turn it off right away upon entering Princeton or even getting close to his chosen spot, but it blows my mind to think he'd make a call right from that spot.

However, many of us speculated all along that one key to solving this would be to get a hold of records of cell phone calls made in the general area between the hours in question and go through them...ever if a laborious process...with the belief that it was very possible that he could have slipped up since much of this crime seemed sloppy.

Can I nominate ACO to have his name next to the dictionary entry for "stupid" ( among other much worse things)? And regardless of whether he's here legally or not, I find it beyond egregious that he comes to this country (PR might be a territory, but it's a different culture, which matters), gets a decent job, and starts immediately stalking women to abduct and rape. (I don't know whether he planned to kill Vanessa -- I lean toward that he killed her only because she fought back so hard, but maybe killing her was part of the plan all along.)

Thanks so much for posting. I'm going to check these out now -- can use Google to translate if in Spanish. I won't be surprised if what you said is being reported turns out to be the case. Something is rotten -- or seems so -- in the state of Denmark, so to speak. I think his status and his possible connection to the two attempted abductions are why murders charged aren't expected for about another month.

It seems like the articles (in Spanish) are variations of one original, like our AP wire. Each one I've translated is mostly the same format but more info (no Boricua accent) than we are seeing here in our media. God bless the talented people working at Google--- Google Translate has helped me write notes to parents and translate incoming education plans (written all in Spanish) from Puerto Rico LOL!
JMO

I totally agree that it's really surprising that the cops didn't ride by in that 1.5 hr time frame! I have seen the map of Princeton numerous times and there are hardly any roads.

Yes, saw the news about the ping. I had though maybe he didn't turn it off right away upon say entering Princeton or even getting close to his chosen spot, but it blows my mind to think he'd make a call right from the spot.

However, many of us speculated all along that one key to solving this would be ti get a hold of phone record in the general area between the hours in question and go through them...ever if a laboriously process,,,with the belief that it was very possible that he could have slipped up since much of this crime seemed sloppy.

ACO should have hid name next to the dictionary entry for "stupid" -- among other things. And regardless of whether he's here legally or not (I tend to believe not), I find it very egregious that he comes to this country, get a decent job, and starts immediately stalking women to abduct and rape. (I don't know whether he planned to kill Vanessa -- I lean toward no, that he killed her only because she fought back so hard, but maybe killing her was part of the plan all along.)
I'm not convinced he planned on killing her either, but it's only going to take one question for me to determine that he did.
Does he smoke?

I'm not convinced he planned on killing her either, but it's only going to take one question for me to determine that he did.
Does he smoke?

That's some food for thought. I wonder if any cigarette butts were found at the scene- would also explain his quick attempt to burn the poor victim since he may have had a lighter on hand.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven