Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading EUR-lex and a guide to Article 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights. Some sections that I found interesting and potentially applicable to our case:

"This Directive applies from the time persons are made aware by the competent authorities of a Member State that they are suspected or accused of having committed a criminal offence until the conclusion of the proceedings, which is understood to mean the final determination of the question whether the suspect or accused person has committed the criminal offence, including, where applicable, sentencing and the resolution of any appeal."

from the above, it appears that CB does not need to be 'charged' per se for this Directive to apply in his case; jmo. with the appeal for witnesses by the BKA, CB has been made aware that he is suspected of having murdered MM.

EUR-Lex - 32012L0013 - EN - EUR-Lex

Since he is already in jail, there is no need to arrest him and therefore no need to give him right of access to the materials of the case.
But it appears from the above that since he has been made aware by the public prosecutor of what he is suspected as well as the exact day of the suspected offence, etc, his lawyer could legally and with this I mean within the protection of the legal context of the ongoing criminal proceedings, provide the watertight alibi of his client. jmo

also, HCW himself had used the word the "accused" in an interview to the BBC in 2020:

"If you knew the evidence we had you would come to the same conclusion as I do but I can't give you details because we don't want the accused to know what we have on him - these are tactical considerations."

Madeleine McCann: Public 'would reach same conclusion' on suspect

Moreover, reading a bit more the "Guide on Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights", it appears to me that CB could consider himself legally and officially as charged on suspicion of murdering MM. That FF has not gone to the court yet could mean that the rights of CB have not been prejudiced, since CB could indeed claim the protection of Article 6 of the Convention. jmo

16. The concept of “charge” has to be understood within the meaning of the Convention. The Court takes a “substantive”, rather than a “formal”, conception of the “charge” contemplated by Article 6 (Deweer v. Belgium, § 44). Charge may thus be defined as “the official notification given to an individual by the competent authority of an allegation that he has committed a criminal offence”, a definition that also corresponds to the test whether “the situation of the [suspect] has been substantially affected” (ibid., §§ 42 and 46; Eckle v. Germany, § 73, and also Ibrahim and Others v. the United Kingdom [GC], § 249; Simeonovi v. Bulgaria [GC], § 110).

17. The Court held that a person arrested on suspicion of having committed a criminal offence (Heaney and McGuinness v. Ireland, § 42; Brusco v. France, §§ 47-50), a suspect questioned about his involvement in acts constituting a criminal offence (Aleksandr Zaichenko v. Russia, §§ 41-43; Yankov and Others v. Bulgaria, § 23; Schmid-Laffer v. Switzerland, §§ 30-31) and a person who has been questioned in respect of his or her suspected involvement in an offence (Stirmanov v. Russia, § 39), irrespective of the fact that he or she was formally treated as a witness (Kalēja v. Latvia, §§ 36-41) as well as a person who has been formally charged with a criminal offence under procedure set out in domestic law (Pélissier and Sassi v. France [GC], § 66; Pedersen and Baadsgaard v. Denmark [GC], § 44) could all be regarded as being “charged with a criminal offence” and claim the protection of Article 6 of the Convention.

https://www.echr.coe.int/documents/guide_art_6_criminal_eng.pdf

and from reading more this guide, it appears to me that HCW has been very careful with his wording and that surely CB and FF could have talked to the BKA within the legal protection of the ongoing criminal proceedings.

Eta: that FF considers his client to have been formally charged and therefore claim the protection of article 6 could also potentially be seen by the allegations that there were British lawyers combing the British newspapers and tabloids to see if CB's rights had been violated. What has come out of that?

Last edited:
From what I quoted in my above post, it appears to me that FF is using legalistic tricks to force HCW to finish the investigation. But there are no excuses. The suspect is already charged with the murder of MM and the investigations continue without yet the need to interview (again) the accused. Of course CB can exercise his rights to silence but this happens not because he has not been charged but because he has nothing substantial to add that would change the route of the investigations ... jmo

from the above, it appears that CB does not need to be 'charged' per se for this Directive to apply in his case; jmo. with the appeal for witnesses by the BKA, CB has been made aware that he is suspected of having murdered MM.

By using the medium of the press rather than direct to the suspect or through his lawyer ?, is there any indication that FF was told prior to the appeal ?

By using the medium of the press rather than direct to the suspect or through his lawyer ?, is there any indication that FF was told prior to the appeal ?
I don't see any way that such a public appeal for information from the BKA, which first passed from a judge, would not have made CB aware of this. FF was only made his lawyer later in the process. The parents of MM were also informed before the public appeal for information. From my understanding, the public appeal is a legal document.

ETA: FF has not said that CB has not been 'charged', only that CB has not been asked to be interrogated. Interesting snippets from an interview to Der Spiegel in June 2020, a couple of weeks after the public appeal:

'There has not yet been an official offer of interrogation. As a precaution, we have informed the public prosecutor's office that Christian will only comment on the allegations, if at all, through us. He is currently making use of his right to remain silent. This does not mean he has anything to hide."

Madeleine McCann suspect Christian Brueckner being 'bullied' in jail over case, his lawyer claims | Daily Mail Online

There are definitely things we don't know happening between BKA and FF.

ETA: And don't forget that he was summoned as a witness in 2013 for the disappearance of MM. So there is precedent.

Last edited:
Seems like a clash between the media who reveals the next "bombshell". To me it seems very unlikely, that reporters do achieve more info, than prosecutors from at least three countries.

"For our documentary "Sat.1 investigative", journalist Jutta Rabe has researched shocking material in Germany, Portugal and England over the past few months, which heavily incriminates Christian B.," explains Sat.1 editor-in-chief Juliane Eßling."

Sat.1 plant Doku über Fall Maddie McCann

But Great Britain mentioned again. That's interesting to me.

Seems like a clash between the media who reveals the next "bombshell". To me it seems very unlikely, that reporters do achieve more info, than prosecutors from at least three countries.

"For our documentary "Sat.1 investigative", journalist Jutta Rabe has researched shocking material in Germany, Portugal and England over the past few months, which heavily incriminates Christian B.," explains Sat.1 editor-in-chief Juliane Eßling."

Maybe we should just have a reality TV trial with MWT as the judge :p

Reported in the Olive Press too
EXCLUSIVE: New Madeleine clues linking German paedophile handed to police from hard-hitting TV documentary - Olive Press News Spain

Can you quote some sections? I cannot access it
Numerous friends/associates will reveal evidence of just how close CB was to OC when Madeleine disappeared (within 2.5km) and why they believe BKA are 100% correct.
The investigators will clear up the rumours about the alibi & its origins. They will also debunk the stories about the phone being used by a third party. It's also claimed the call from the as yet unknown pre-paid mobile wasn't cheap at 50 cents per minute.

Last edited:
The problem is that all of these "exclusive" reports could put some pressure upon the prosecutors. That could be counterproductive IMO.

Numerous friends/associates will reveal evidence of just how close CB was to OC when Madeleine disappeared (within 2.5km) and why they believe BKA are 100% correct.
The investigators will clear up the rumours about the alibi & its origins. They will also debunk the stories about the phone being used by a third party. It's also claimed the call from the as yet unknown pre-paid mobile wasn't cheap at 50 cents per minute.
The v interesting part is the cost of the phone call at 15 euros back in 2007! It must have been an important phone call

Two different press investigations seemingly interviewing in the same country's, then it seems one producing an alibi the other pouring scorn on it, whats the game afoot here ?

Sounds like they have the azimuth data from the phone log if they can place the caller within 2.5km of the OC.

At what distance was his abode from 5a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173