Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in the interests of a fair trial I think, past offences are not admissible as being prejudicial to the accused

They are sometimes admissible under long established exceptions. It tends to depend on whether the judge thinks probative value outweighs any prejudice.

So for example, evidence that CB broke into holiday apartments might be seen by a German Judge as probative that he broke into 5a. Still better if it could be shown he did break ins at OC before.

But by itself, mere evidence that CB did break ins, it not probative he broke into 5a.

That's where the media usually goes off the rails.

e.g CB gets accused in the MM case, therefore he is suddenly 'linked" (by the media) to the IG case. Of course investigators will look at it, but the mere propensity of itself, does not make it more likely he abducted IG.

I think the recent Bully case shows how quickly all the conspiracists go down the rabbit hole these days, stoked by traditional and non-traditional media.
There was the natural desire to hope for the best. But it was like being a fly on the wall in a drama such was the coverage. The necessity to 'participate' and the constant updates required for wall to wall media coverage and the social media interest all became the story in which Nicola and her family became bit players.

MM's case was the precursor of all that. Some of us didn't even have home computers; social media was in its infancy and mobile phones not as prevalent as they now are.

I remember following the case in 2007 on a few UK forums, especially the Mirror Forums (which got closed down because of the case) and Digital Spy. It seemed almost everyone had a crazy conspiracy to offer - freemasons, the Catholic church, Israel, you name it, there was an angle.

There was all sorts of stuff about shadows in photographs, secret messages in GM's online diary posts, tunnels in churches, sea caves, and there was almost a cult that developed around the cadaver dogs.

Some posters even went out to pdl on holiday to 'investigate'.

I remember following the case in 2007 on a few UK forums, especially the Mirror Forums (which got closed down because of the case) and Digital Spy. It seemed almost everyone had a crazy conspiracy to offer - freemasons, the Catholic church, Israel, you name it, there was an angle.

There was all sorts of stuff about shadows in photographs, secret messages in GM's online diary posts, tunnels in churches, sea caves, and there was almost a cult that developed around the cadaver dogs.

End of an era in a way I think. One year later there was the financial crash, and nowt's been the same since (Imo)

I think the recent Bully case shows how quickly all the conspiracists go down the rabbit hole these days, stoked by traditional and non-traditional media.
Its been plain disgusting to be honest and I can see a lot of trouble after the inquest when they are proven wrong.

You'll find all that nonsense still going on via Twitter .

End of an era in a way I think. One year later there was the financial crash, and nowt's been the same since (Imo)
I also happened to move house that summer and everything in the world felt different twelve months later, as you say the credit crunch, austerity etc.

There was so much other craziness caused by the case - a hollywood movie (Gone Girl?) had its release postponed by months, Eastenders had a whole storyline axed which led to scheduling delays, I feel like something happened at a sporting event as well but I can't remember what it was.

They are sometimes admissible under long established exceptions. It tends to depend on whether the judge thinks probative value outweighs any prejudice.

So for example, evidence that CB broke into holiday apartments might be seen by a German Judge as probative that he broke into 5a. Still better if it could be shown he did break ins at OC before.

But by itself, mere evidence that CB did break ins, it not probative he broke into 5a.

That's where the media usually goes off the rails.

e.g CB gets accused in the MM case, therefore he is suddenly 'linked" (by the media) to the IG case. Of course investigators will look at it, but the mere propensity of itself, does not make it more likely he abducted IG.
I don't think the police start looking outside the box when they have a suspect in view. The first thing they think about is investigating other crimes with a similar profile. I think during that process regarding CB, they discovered the eclectic nature of his crimes which broke the rules of profiling a bit.

DM would never have received justice without the police trawl for evidence in MM case. Your criticism of the media is apt using that as an example. No- one knew that the MM investigation was involved. Allowing the investigation to be completed, charges laid, trial to take place, judgement passed, guilty party jailed and appeal process completed. It all ran like clockwork.

That would never happen again as far a CB was concerned when the process which would eventually lead to his introduction to the MM case was instituted in April 2019 (I'm saying nothing further on that lol)
The only benefit was that the publicity generated as a result alerted HB who went public in her attempt to have her case reopened. But because of the MM legacy, what should have been her day in court has been postponed for the time being.

Odd thing to say on a site so closely associated with the JonBenet case. Imo. Nothing like what happened in that case over the years has ever happened in the MM case.
I'm not qualified to make comparison because I've not studied JB's case in any depth whatsoever. What I know about the MM case quite often shocks me to the core and still has the power to keep the shocks coming.

I'm not qualified to make comparison because I've not studied JB's case in any depth whatsoever. What I know about the MM case quite often shocks me to the core and still has the power to keep the shocks coming.
If there's ever a trial we might have seen nothing yet. It would be sensational.

One red top paper is carrying a story about how investigators believe an Algarve Village where CB lived could hold vital clues, it's repeated in the Mail.More media junk .

If there's ever a trial we might have seen nothing yet. It would be sensational.
it could be something simple like girl abducted and killed it's all the noise inbetween that is the shocker.

One red top paper is carrying a story about how investigators believe an Algarve Village where CB lived could hold vital clues, it's repeated in the Mail.More media junk .
Villa Bianca in Foral, again?! The same property CB spent time at in 2007 with NF when it was used as a refuge for troubled children?! New searches there?! LOL Media regurgitation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500