Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 white rectangular objects have been spotted by The Royal New Zealand Air Force in the new search area for missing flight MH370, 1680km west of Perth.

New Zealand Air Vice-Marshal Kevin Short says the objects were within five metres of each other but “It’s hard to identify because all you’re seeing is this one-metre rectangular piece of material.”

“There seems to be patches of these objects and that’s not unexpected, looking at how long the aircraft’s been missing.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/1...ntified-from-the-new-mh370-search-area-2014-3

11 white rectangular objects have been spotted by The Royal New Zealand Air Force in the new search area for missing flight MH370, 1680km west of Perth.

New Zealand Air Vice-Marshal Kevin Short says the objects were within five metres of each other but “It’s hard to identify because all you’re seeing is this one-metre rectangular piece of material.”

“There seems to be patches of these objects and that’s not unexpected, looking at how long the aircraft’s been missing.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/1...ntified-from-the-new-mh370-search-area-2014-3

That actually sounds promising...or at least hopeful. :please:

I'm sure this has been answered, but if a passport is stolen and the person replaces it, which I assume usually happens, is the name still on the list? It's one thing if the passport is flagged as a danger, but if the authorities actually have go go figure out if it's the stolen one or real one, I can see why many countries don't have the resources.

I do not know the definitive answer, however, aren't passports numbered, and wouldn't the stolen one's number be on the Interpol list? When the person replaces that passport a new number is issued? What is curious though is if someone who alters stolen passports, as must have happened with the photograph and date of birth on the Austrian man's passport, could they not also alter the number?

:waitasec:

MOO

Well said. Thank you.

I'm actually curious why Australia is taking such a big role. I'm not against it or anything and I don't care if we are funding a large part of it. I think it's good. But I'm still curious why. Is it because we are the closest country? Is it because there were 6 Aussies on board? Is it strategic for our international relations? Is it because one of the themes in our countries history is 'lending a hand'? I could see gov't wanting to uphold that image. Is it good experience for all the departments and the crew involved? All or none of the above?

I'm actually curious why Australia is taking such a big role. I'm not against it or anything and I don't care if we are funding a large part of it. I think it's good. But I'm still curious why. Is it because we are the closest country? Is it because there were 6 Aussies on board? Is it strategic for our international relations? Is it because one of the themes in our countries history is 'lending a hand'? I could see gov't wanting to uphold that image. Is it good experience for all the departments and the crew involved? All or none of the above?

I think it's all of the above. And I'm very grateful to them for doing it. :seeya:

U.S. investigators say they aren't getting a full flow of information from the Malaysians—prompting some to complain to headquarters in Washington that they feel relegated to the margins, according to several people familiar with the matter. Malaysian investigators, meanwhile, are wary of information leaks they believe are occurring more regularly among their counterparts from Washington.

Twin probes into how and why the plane went down rest largely in the hands of Malaysian police and air-safety officials, and Americans working in Kuala Lumpur are convinced their side is "mainly getting bits and pieces, rather than a full download from the Malaysians," said one U.S. official briefed on the investigation. Members of the on-site U.S. contingent are "vetting all the information they do get, to ensure accuracy," the official added.

In Malaysia, the government has tight control over the media and leaks of information aren't common. By contrast, some people on the Malaysian side perceive Washington to be full of leaks, particularly in the first few days after the plane vanished March 8.

Last week, Malaysia handed over its most important physical evidence to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation—pilot Zaharie Ahmad Shah's home flight simulator and computer—for analysis. But before the FBI analysis was complete or the Malaysian government had a chance to make an announcement, a flurry of media reports from Washington revealed that the bureau hadn't found anything to explain Flight 370's disappearance.

"Washington seems to be a leaky boat," said one person familiar with the Malaysian investigation. "It erodes trust." Nevertheless, this person said concern about the Americans' role isn't seriously impeding the investigation. "We have been surprised at how many people we have been able to rope into this," this person said.

Still, according to people familiar with the matter, U.S. aviation officials are operating largely out of the U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur and shuttling to meetings with Malaysian officials—instead of being based full-time in Malaysian offices alongside local investigators, as would often be the case. The U.S. team includes a handful of investigators from the FAA and National Transportation Safety Board.

The embassy declined to comment on the level of cooperation between the two countries.

Boeing, without the full involvement of Malaysian investigators, has run some computer models of the last phase of the flight, highlighting another point of tension in the probe, two people familiar with the matter said. These so-called engineering simulations seek to lay out the most likely movements of the plane before and after it is presumed to have run out of fuel. Such work typically would be more closely coordinated with leaders of the overall investigations, according to these people.

Boeing on Friday re-emphasized that it continues to serve as a technical adviser to the NTSB.

The current tensions between U.S. and Malaysian investigators have roots in issues that appeared three weeks ago, people familiar the matter said, soon after the flight dropped off civilian radar March 8 en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

From the beginning, according to a U.S. government official and others, Boeing was upset that it took about three hours—much longer than would be typical—for Malaysian authorities to inform company representatives the jet hadn't been heard from.

Boeing's team remains "quite frustrated and doesn't trust the process," according to one person familiar with the company's views.

FAA and NTSB officials didn't play a prominent role in briefing Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak just before his somber announcement Monday that Flight 370 "ended in the southern Indian Ocean." The analysis was based primarily on work done by satellite-operator Inmarsat ISAT.LN +0.07% PLC and the U.K.'s Air Accidents Investigation Branch, the NTSB's British counterpart. Officials in Kuala Lumpur and the AAIB have a long-standing relationship on safety matters.

"The Malaysians have a much closer association with the AAIB" than with the NTSB, according to one person familiar with Malaysia Airlines' operations. "There is simply a greater comfort level there."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303779504579467820263341390.html

I'm sure this has been answered, but if a passport is stolen and the person replaces it, which I assume usually happens, is the name still on the list? It's one thing if the passport is flagged as a danger, but if the authorities actually have go go figure out if it's the stolen one or real one, I can see why many countries don't have the resources.

The passport number for a replacement passport will be different from the passport that was lost or stolen.

As an aviation disaster freak, since childhood, being told by many around me , for years, that I am perverse in that fascination all my life -- could not help it, nor did I want to. As the world has learned it is pretty amazing, fascinating stuff.
That being said, I “caught” the story from hour one that Friday night. From the beginning, I found it “atypical” that the initial story was THE Airline was reporting IT had lost it flight 370. That is not how it works
Offices of major airlines, they are major airline, are not monitoring specific flights. Typically the breaking news would MAL airlines reports that ATC has lost contact with its flight 370 from x to x departing at, had x passengers aboard- that’s how it has worked, for decades.
For several days the graphics were that little segment 44 minutes and “poof”. Human behavior does not attempt to deceive unless there is something to hide.
The notion that it took 72 hours for them to say, opps we accidently discovered that the commercial flight u turned and flew over our entire nation and we did nothing sorry. That is absurd. I am not smart enough to know who is in conflict with one another over there.
But trust me, ( after 9-11)Canada, if its radar folks noticed an unknown jet liner incurring American airspace, (same would be true reverse) they would knock on the door. Hey guys just want to let you know we are tracking a unidentified commercial aircraft incurring in your airspace- are you getting it, just wanted to let you know. A neighbor seeing someone!
It’s the secrets!
Media has resulted with MAL being perceived as a third world carrier. They are not. They are losing money, BUT a highly sophisticated operation, 5 stars globally, with an impressive safety history.
There are only 8 other carriers, worldwide, that operate the queen of skies – Airbus A 380. She IS the queen now! She is two stories!!
Check her out UNREAL!
https://www.google.com/search?biw=836&bih=482&tbm=isch&q=airbus+a+380+interior&revid=1542759140

Airbus A380 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The actual list price was US$ 390 million in early 2013. However this varies according to version and number ordered and is often lower

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_cost_price_for_airbus_A380_2013

Welcome back, CARIIS!

I LOVE your enthusiasm!

:loveyou:

Speaking of checking passports:

Most of the 14 countries with passengers on the plane haven't disclosed how they conducted the background checks or what guidelines they followed in clearing passengers. Chinese officials didn't respond to requests for comment how it conducted its background checks on the 153 Chinese citizens on board. Malaysia, too, hasn't provided details other than to say it focused on possible terrorism, sabotage and personal or psychological issues.

Indonesia said it relied on international guidelines in clearing all of its seven passengers, but didn't say who wrote the guidelines. "We don't use our own standard," said police spokesman Agus Rikwanto. "We use the standard used internationally that is used in investigating any suspicious individual. The results are they are cleared."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303779504579467820263341390.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member