Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Ilovepierre,
Slightly offtopic. Don't know if this has been brought up before, but,
When I fly, I like to watch the "flight map" that appears on a channel in the monitor mounted in front of me (in the back of the backrest). Do you know where that information comes from? Is it "onboard"? Is it actual live data from one of the com boxes?

TIA

Date
April 10, 2014 - 11:04AM

MH370 search: pinger locator still the best option for missing Malaysian Airline jet

Perth: Searchers looking for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane have discovered new signals consistent with those emitted by so-called black boxes in the Indian Ocean, but they do not want to send a submersible down yet to look for the plane. For now, they will continue to use the towed pinger locator to get a better fix on the location. Here's why:

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/mh370-s...airline-jet-20140410-zqsvy.html#ixzz2yRkjtzMe

I'm just watching a little bit and it sounds like they are making dramatic progress on finding this thing! :loveyou:

It looks like Echo is joining Ocean Shield in the smaller search area now, from viewing marine traffic online, thus leaving the larger search areas still occupied by Chinese and other ships. I think this is a really good move!

To Ilovepierre,
Slightly offtopic. Don't know if this has been brought up before, but,
When I fly, I like to watch the "flight map" that appears on a channel in the monitor mounted in front of me (in the back of the backrest). Do you know where that information comes from? Is it "onboard"? Is it actual live data from one of the com boxes?

TIA

AFAIK, it's live data from the plane. It also records the plane's speed and altitude as you're flying.
I think it's the same data that is used on flightaware.com and/or flighradar24.com.

IIRC, the voice recorder only holds the last two hours and the flight recorder has everything up to the end. Can someone confirm that for me?

IIRC, the voice recorder only holds the last two hours and the flight recorder has everything up to the end. Can someone confirm that for me?

Cockpit Voice Recorder records for 2 hours in a continuous loop

the Flight Data Recorder records 17 to 25 hours worth of data in a continuous loop

EXPERTS inside the Malaysian Airlines Flight MH 370 Joint Agency Coordination Centre believe there are just two possible explanations for the lack of debris on the ocean surface from the downed jet.

The wide-bodied Boeing 777 was either flown under control into the ocean, largely intact and sank to the bottom in one piece or its wreckage was scattered by a cyclone that passed through the search area soon after the search began.

In late March there were fears that Cyclone Gillian, which set off a cyclone warning in the southern corridor, could hamper search and rescue operations.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...rom-flight-mh370/story-fnizu68q-1226879692901

AFAIK, it's live data from the plane. It also records the plane's speed and altitude as you're flying.
I think it's the same data that is used on flightaware.com and/or flighradar24.com.

Thanks.
Does it use the ACARS? the BCARS? the transponder? or any one of these things that may have been deliberately turned off during MH370?

EXPERTS inside the Malaysian Airlines Flight MH 370 Joint Agency Coordination Centre believe there are just two possible explanations for the lack of debris on the ocean surface from the downed jet.

The wide-bodied Boeing 777 was either flown under control into the ocean, largely intact and sank to the bottom in one piece or its wreckage was scattered by a cyclone that passed through the search area soon after the search began.

In late March there were fears that Cyclone Gillian, which set off a cyclone warning in the southern corridor, could hamper search and rescue operations.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...rom-flight-mh370/story-fnizu68q-1226879692901

BBM
I can't say I haven't thought that...it's been on my mind even more so lately

Thanks.
Does it use the ACARS? the BCARS? the transponder? any of one of these things that may have been deliberately turned off during MH370?

The ones on WestJet (the airline of my choice) gets their data from a GPS company called GeoNova. I don't think it's connected to ACARS or the transponder. I think it's just a basic GPS system that's installed on planes. If ACARS/transponder was turned off, I don't know if the in-flight map would turn off as well.

Not sure if all airlines have such a system though. I would assume there's a fee to have it installed.

Yes it does!
Kind of strange that Malaysia Airlines only turns ACARS off on flights to China...which this flight was...

So turning that off cannot be seen as a sinister act, I suppose.

ETA: why does it take so long for important information to come out of Malaysia?

the Flight Data Recorder records 17 to 25 hours worth of data in a continuous loop

Hopefully the blackbox is intact as the flight data recorder could reveal what the airplane was doing. The voice recorder should indicate what was going on prior to it disappearance and after it happened.

BBM ~ What "contiunous loop" mean? It overwrites after 17-25 hours? So, if there is no activity for 30+ days, does it record non-activity? TIA.

BBM ~ I would take that reason. That would be amazing. :please:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member