Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all. Very bizarre situation. This may be a stupid question, but certainly the transponder is not the only way the plane is seen on radar. If that were the case, any one who was flying a plane they did not want seen, such as "enemies" would only need turn it off, and viola, no detection. They must be seen on radar somewhere whether the transponder is on or not. For example, how would the United States detect enemies coming in to our country to attack us, if this was the only way to see them on radar? I hope my question is clear, tried to make it understandable. Thanks, all, and thank you Websleuths for giving us this forum. This is one very strange situation. Katt

:Welcome1:

Thanks for joining the discussion!!

At this point I don't see how anyone can believe that this was all just a tremendous pile of coincidences piled one on top of the other on top of the other. We know that there were at least 13 minutes of lucidity between the turning off of the two communications systems, and we know that the plane was flying at proper altitude when the 2nd one, the transponder was shut down. There's no way to blame rapid and unexpected decompression for that.

Yes - I've been in car a lot this evening and I have Sirius radio - I've listened to multiple stations - everyone had a different aviation expert. One thing they all agreed upon was that this was *not* an accident....the few bits of credible evidence we DO have - shows that these devices were turned off on purpose and it had to be done in the cockpit. SO - either one of the pilots flipped out or a well planned attack was successful in taking over the cockpit - AND if this were the case - the hijackers were very familiar with this airplane.

Remember the 9/11 flights? Many passengers called loved ones, flight attendants called their home offices, ect when the planes were hijacked.

Why have we not heard of any calls coming from this flight if there was a problem?

Because the passengers in the 9/11 flights were not flying over an ocean. Perhaps a satellite phone could have made a connection, but unless the jet in question was equipped with hardware to handle cellular service, the phones would not work with this flight plan.

Remember the 9/11 flights? Many passengers called loved ones, flight attendants called their home offices, ect when the planes were hijacked.

Why have we not heard of any calls coming from this flight if there was a problem?

Because on 9/11 they weren't over the ocean and were really low because the hijackers were purposely flying into cities...

As a poster asked above, why doesn't any other country have the plane on radar, since they track to see if anyone enters their airspace for military purposes etc.? Was it too far out in the ocean? Do they just not have the technology? Too low?

I have read way back on a forum or an article that said this plane was not fitted with the device for mobile comm.

I don't think cell phones are usable over the ocean.

If the decompression causes or was caused by extreme system failure?
Also, I can't yet trust any information but out there. It keeps being retracted, etc.

System failure that extreme would bring down the plane, not allow it to turn and continue flying for 4 more hours. We know that the plane did not go down at the point where the transponder was turned off, that area has been searched. If the plane didn't continue flying, where is it?

This article is behind a pay wall for me...

But... What the Heck?!?

All this knowledge NOW coming out?

I am sure you will all be discussing this ....as I am behind... But I couldn't help but post my alarm!

:what:

So sorry! It's gone to paywall for me a couple times too. But I'm sure it'll be discussed in media tomorrow.

Not sure if this link is different but it's working for me right now and not behind the paywall unless that paywall comes and goes.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304185104579437573396580350.html

i was not talking about what their talking heads were saying, they had a report from barbara starr that quoted a US official. it is linked on this page now.

Analysts from U.S. intelligence, the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board have concluded that the pings likely came from the missing aircraft, the senior U.S. official said.

There is reason to believe the plane flew for four hours, officials said, but there is no specific indication where the plane actually is.

Multiple bursts of data were received indicating the plane was flying over the Indian Ocean, the senior U.S. official told CNN.
But there's another confusing twist. An emergency beacon that would have sent data upon impact apparently did not go off, the official said. The beacons, known as Emergency Locator Transmitters, activate automatically upon immersion in fresh or salt water, but must remain on the surface for a distress signal to transmit.

The failure of the beacon to activate could mean that the plane didn't crash, that the transmitter malfunctioned, or that it's underwater somewhere.
Mary Schiavo, former inspector general for the U.S. Department of Transportation, said even though it's unclear how accurate the latest information is, authorities have no choice but to pursue it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/13/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/

Because on 9/11 they weren't over the ocean and were really low because the hijackers were purposely flying into cities...

As a poster asked above, why doesn't any other country have the plane on radar, since they track to see if anyone enters their airspace for military purposes etc.? Was it too far out in the ocean? Do they just not have the technology? Too low?

Under 30,000 feet- plane is "off radar"

This article is behind a pay wall for me...

But... What the Heck?!?

All this knowledge NOW coming out?

I am sure you will all be discussing this ....as I am behind... But I couldn't help but post my alarm!

:what:

I just clicked the link and the paywall is gone (for me) - I'm using google chrome. :waitasec:

Maybe you can give it another go? It's quite detailed, so I can't post as much as I'd like to. Here's a snip:

The final satellite ping was sent from over water, at what one of these people called a "normal" cruising altitude. The people declined to say where specifically the transmission originated, adding that it was unclear why the transmissions stopped. One possibility one person cited was that the system sending them had been disabled by someone on board.

The automatic pings, or attempts to link up with satellites operated by Inmarsat ISAT.LN -1.32% PLC, occurred a number of times after Malaysia Airlines Flight 370's last verified position, these people said, indicating that at least through those hours, the Boeing Co. BA -2.04% 777 carrying 239 people remained intact and hadn't been destroyed in a crash, act of sabotage or explosion.

More@Link
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304185104579437573396580350.html

BBM~ There has to be technology out there somewhere and someone must have it by now. :scared:

Are they searching the South Indian ocean now? TIA.

That really is the only reasonable explanation for such a scenario. Anywhere else it would be detected as having landed somewhere or if it had crashed onto land.

Is such a scenario as what happened to the plane carrying golfer Payne Stewart possible? It continued it's flight approximately 1500 miles after those aboard were either unconscious or dead.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9911/23/stewart.crash.03/

The only other alternative, it appears, is a hijacking.

MOO

I'm hoping it landed on Tromelin Island.

Uninhabited except for birds and turtles.
1200 meter landing strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under 30,000 feet- plane is "off radar"

Thank you - I know that's been answered, so I don't mean to be repetitive, but do we know for sure it was under 30,000 feet the whole time? I suppose that's the logical conclusion.

That is my question too. Who monitors the airspace that the plane flew through, and why didn't they notice an unscheduled plane? The US seems quite confident in the belief that the plane flew over and perhaps crashed in the Indian Ocean - what do they know that they're not telling us?

BBM~ There has to be technology out there somewhere and someone must have it by now. :scared:

Are they searching the South Indian ocean now? TIA.

The technology definitely exists, but I don't know if all countries use it. It would only have been relevant when the plane was in the air - it's of no help now. Radar doesn't look for things in the ocean or on the ground.

In the ocean, they'd have to use sonar, but it's so deep that I don't know how practical that is. But some debris must float up eventually.

For the life of me, I cannot think of a single plausible scenario where hijackers could successfully subdue 239 passengers without a single cell phone switching on. This would lead me to believe that if a hijacking had taken place, the passengers were never aware that they had been hijacked.

Is there a way that one could "jam" the frequencies, etc. to keep all cell phones from working? I thought there were some schools or other buildings where this was done to prevent cell phone usage.

Hi, all. Very bizarre situation. This may be a stupid question, but certainly the transponder is not the only way the plane is seen on radar.

RSBM: I am going to try and make this understandable- sorry if it ends up clear as mud. The media keep saying how "redundant" this particular plane model is. That means this plane has many systems for certain things if the primary system(s) go down.

If one thing is shut down/malfunctions, another system "picks up the slack", and/or is a back up.

If A fails, B is still operational...

I'm hoping it landed on Tromelin Island.

Uninhabited except for birds and turtles.
1200 meter landing strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I am hopeful for some miracle such as that, would that not also indicate the plane was hijacked and how would they get off this island?

:waitasec:

MOO

Clipped for length. I don't think this point is a fact. Nobody seems to have confirmed that the 20 people from the company going to the conference were "top technology people" at all

Sorry, I misspoke on the company name (it's Freescale, not Freespace)...but the rest is correct. :) Here are some media reports:

On board Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 were employees from Freescale Semiconductor, a Texas-based technology firm.
They were based in several manufacturing sites in Kuala Lumpur and Tianjin, China; 12 of the employees were from Malaysia and eight were from China, a spokeswoman for the company confirmed.
Freescale Semiconductor has been developing microprocessors, sensors and other technology for the past 50 years. The technology it creates is commonly referred to as embedded processors, which according to the firm are "standalone semiconductors that perform dedicated computing functions in electronic systems".
The passengers on board were engineers and other experts working to make Freescale Semiconductor chip facilities in Tianjin and Kuala Lumpur more efficient, said Mitch Haws, vice- president, global communications and investor relations.
"These were people with a lot of experience and technical background and they were very important people," Haws said.
"It's definitely a loss for the company."
The company had been streamlining facilities in Tianjin and Kuala Lumpur that for testing and packaging microchips used in automobiles, consumer products, telecommunications infrastructure and industrial equipment.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/malaysia-a...freescale-semiconductor-top-employees-1440097

US-based firm's workers on plane headed to meeting
Originally published: March 9, 2014 1:44 PM
Updated: March 9, 2014 3:39 PM

(AP) -- Twenty employees of an Austin-based technology company on board the missing Malaysia Airlines flight were en route to a business meeting in China, a spokeswoman for the tech firm said Sunday.
The employees -- 12 from Malaysia and eight from China --work at facilities in their respective countries that manufacture semiconductor chips, said Freescale Semiconductor spokeswoman Jacey Zuniga.
“We have several manufacturing sites in Kuala Lumpur and Tianjin, China. Those 20 employees were with those teams,” she said.
http://www.news12.com/news/us-based-firm-s-workers-on-plane-headed-to-meeting-1.7334089

(Additionally, another article quoted the spokeswoman as calling them their company's "top" employees, but I can no longer locate that article.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname