MD - Laura Wallen, 31, pregnant, Olney, 3 Sept 2017 #2 *Suspect found Dead during Trial*

:mad:

This is NOT justice for Laura, Reid and the Wallen family.

:mad:

ETA: However, perhaps it has spared them the horrific pain of going through the trial proceedings. idk

When I first saw the change, in Laura's thread, I thought by accident I clicked onto another case.
This isn't justice.
He took the easy way out.
But it spares her wonderful family, of the agony of the trial.
Following a quote from one of the articles, Posters have added.

“We were robbed this morning of the opportunity to allow the public to know the true nature and details of this crime,” McCarthy said at a news conference Thursday afternoon, speaking in the lobby of the Montgomery County Circuit Courthouse

Last edited:
As I guess I missed my alert, I only found this today.
I was checking, to note Trial date, so I could hear, another lot of lies.
I guess, it is Karma in action.

Last edited:
Respectfully snipped for focus.
I hope we get to hear what that evidence is.

Yes, I would want to see the evidence, but I guess, as everything is dropped now, we may not.
It is a shame, I missed my alert, as I would have liked to be there with fellow sleuthers, for Laura's family.

Last edited:
Death investigation complete for Md. man who killed self before murder trial

February 7, 2019

"WASHINGTON — Tyler Tessier had five people he wanted to get in touch with before he hanged himself last year, hours ahead of opening statements in his murder trial for the 2017 death of his pregnant girlfriend, Laura Wallen.

Crime scene investigators found five suicide letters on the top of his bunk bed when they discovered him dead on Sept. 6, 2018.

WTOP has been briefed on selected details of Montgomery County police’s investigation into the death of Tessier, whose body was found before 5 a.m. in his cell at the Montgomery County Correctional Facility in Clarksburg, Maryland.

Later that morning, jurors were expected to hear opening statements in Tessier’s first-degree murder trial in the death of Wallen, a Howard County teacher who had disappeared in September 2017.

On the day of his death, Warden Susan Malagari said Tessier, 34, hanged himself with a bed sheet.

“The cause of death was hanging, and that was ruled suicide,” Bruce Goldfarb, of Maryland’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, told WTOP. “The toxicology showed no drugs or alcohol in his system.”...

Jordan said the five letters were forensically analyzed before being delivered to the people to whom they were addressed.

Only Tessier’s fingerprints were on the letters, Jordan said, eliminating the possibility that another person had killed Tessier and written them to conceal a crime.

On the day Tessier killed himself, Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy said the letters indicated Tessier had been contemplating suicide for a while, and did not acknowledge killing Wallen.

McCarthy said the letters would be made public after the police investigation.

But now, after repeated requests from WTOP, police and prosecutors said the letters will not be released...."

Death investigation complete for Md. man who killed self before murder trial | WTOP

120e419f-31e5-44e8-9ab3-8ef5a816443b-large16x9_laurawallen.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the articles -- I guess this one is essentially closed now, except for LE finalizing details and a final write-up of the last of this for their records, etc.
In the above article which I have quoted below, I did find one part that caught my eye -- I found it quite selfish and showing a total lack of regard for Laura or her family and possibly his own peace of mind. Oh well, his last actions regarding Laura were just as selfish and uncaring as were his actions when he saw her in her last minutes.

On the day Tessier killed himself, Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy said the letters indicated Tessier had been contemplating suicide for a while, and did not acknowledge killing Wallen.
Death investigation complete for Md. man who killed self before murder trial | WTOP

I guess he just couldn't include a confession and an apology in some of his last words. His loss, not hers.

Father of Murdered Teacher Renews Push for Bill That Would Change Maryland Fetal Homicide Law (with clip)

Feb 21, 2019

"...Tessier was only charged in her death and not the death of the fetus. Under Maryland law, a woman must be at least 24 weeks pregnant for prosecutors to charge a suspect with two counts of murder.

"When we first found out that Laura was murdered, the first thing that I asked was, 'It’s double murder right?'" Wallen's father, Mark Wallen, said.

On Thursday, Mark Wallen renewed his fight for “Laura and Reid’s Law” which would allow prosecutors to charge for fetal homicide starting at eight weeks of pregnancy. If the suspect knew the woman was expecting, he or she could be charged with double murder and convicted of two life sentences.

Mark Wallen, Sen. Justin Ready (R-District 5) and other lawmakers pushed for the bill again in Annapolis on Thursday. They first presented and discussed the bill in the Maryland House and Senate last year, but it didn't pass....

Mark Wallen says the bill would make husbands and boyfriends think twice before killing their pregnant spouses...."

Father Pushes Bill to Change Maryland Fetal Homicide Law

Parents Of Md. Teacher, Killed While Pregnant, Testify Support For Fetal Homicide Bill

March 8, 2019

"BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The murder of Columbia Wilde Lake High school teacher Laura Wallen was re-lived by her parents in a general assembly hearing Friday.

They are supporting Laura and Reid’s Law, a bill named for Laura and her unborn son, who were killed by the baby’s father.

It expands the current law which says charges can only be brought in a fetal homicide if the baby is able to survive outside the womb....

Police charged the baby’s father Tyler Tessier with Laura’s murder, but could not charge him for the death of the unborn child because it could not have survived outside the womb.

The Wallens testified in favor of a bill to change that.

Mark Wallen, Laura’s father, spoke of her death.

“That boy we took out to dinner with our daughter who asked for her hand in marriage and cried tears of joy when he found out she was pregnant was the intimate partner that killed her,” He said.

House Sponsor Delegate Trent Kittleman said the bill offers protection for pregnant women.

“Right now we know that the greatest cause of women being murdered who are pregnant is because the other person, the spouse or significant other learns about the pregnancy and that’s the way they deal with it,” she said.

Under the Fetal Homicide Bill, suspects could be charged in the deaths of children 8 weeks and older...."

Parents Of Md. Teacher, Killed While Pregnant, Testify Support For Fetal Homicide Bill

Support for Laura and Reid's Law was live.
· February 21 ·

Laura and Reid’s Law press conference.

Support for Laura and Reid's Law
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senator Justin Ready
6 hrs ·
Great news today - the Senate overwhelmingly passed an amended version of Laura & Reid’s Law (SB561) legislation I sponsored on behalf of the Wallen family which will make a crime of violence on a women known to be pregnant an additional felony with up to 10 year sentence. This would be charged on top of whatever the underlying crime against the woman would be. We are on to the House of Delegates! #MDGA19 #ReidToo

Support for Laura and Reid's Law
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maryland Senate OKs bill giving longer sentences in violent crimes against pregnant women

March 16, 2019

Maryland Senate OKs bill giving longer sentences in violent crimes against pregnant women
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 15, 2019

"...Laura and Reid

The Senate voted 46-1 on a bill known as Laura and Reid’s Law, which would create an enhanced 10-year prison penalty for a person who commits a crime of violence against another person when the assailant knows that the victim is pregnant.

The bill, sponsored by Sen. Justin Ready (R-Carroll) is named for Laura Wallen, a Howard County school teacher who was four months pregnant when she was killed in September 2017. She planned to name her son Reid; Wallen’s then-boyfriend was charged in the killing but was found dead in his Montgomery County jail cell on the day of trial...."

Legislative Roundup: Bill Targeting Franchot Moves Forward – Maryland Matters
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
‘Laura would be very happy’: Md. moves toward harsher penalties for crimes against pregnant women

March 18, 2019

"For a Maryland father whose pregnant daughter was murdered in 2017, unthinkable grief has been tempered by determination and an understanding of political expediency. Mark Wallen is hopeful Maryland has taken one large step toward protecting pregnant women.

The Maryland Senate approved a bill Friday that would allow for stronger sentences — up to 10 extra years in prison — for defendants convicted of violent crimes against pregnant women. The bill passed 46-1.

The bill would allow for an enhanced penalty — up to 10 extra years in prison — for a defendant convicted of any violent crime against a pregnant woman. The bill requires a defendant to know the victim is pregnant....

When asked what he thought Laura would think of the steps being taken to ensure stronger penalties for those would assault pregnant women, he said: “I think Laura would be very happy with the progress, and the idea that our family was able to make strides toward protecting pregnant women would make her delighted.”"

‘Laura would be very happy’: Md. moves toward harsher penalties for crimes against pregnant women | WTOP

Laura-Wallen-Funeral2_KS-727x485.jpg

Maryland lawmakers use unusual maneuver to revive bill on child abuse lawsuits

April 6, 2019

"...Democratic Del. C.T. Wilson’s bill to remove a statute of limitations for lawsuits rising from child sexual abuse had sailed through the House, but died in a deadlocked Senate committee.

The defeat frustrated Wilson and abuse survivors.

So, the House Judiciary Committee, in an unusual move, took many elements of Wilson’s bill and tacked them Saturday onto an unrelated bill from Sen. Justin Ready — a Carroll County Republican who is one of the senators who voted against the abuse lawsuit bill in committee.

Ready’s bill allows for longer sentences for defendants convicted of crimes of violence against a pregnant woman. It’s named “Laura and Reid’s Law” for Laura Wallen, a teacher who was murdered in 2017, allegedly by her boyfriend. Wallen was 14 weeks pregnant and her family believed she planned to name her child Reid.

The House amendments to the bill would extend the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit resulting from child sexual abuse from the current limit of age 38 to 58. It also would create a two-year “lookback” window that would allow people to file lawsuits who had previously had been barred from doing so due to the age limits.

The House adopted the amendments and moved the revised measure forward to a final vote on Monday — the final day of the 90-day General Assembly session. Any changes to the bill would need to be approved by the Senate in order to send the measure to the governor...."

Maryland lawmakers use unusual maneuver to revive bill on child abuse lawsuits

Parents of murdered teacher ‘proud’ of Md. as bill to protect pregnant women set to become law

April 9, 2019

"“They meant what they said.”

That’s according to Gwen Wallen, the mother of Laura Wallen — a 31-year-old high school teacher who was 14 weeks pregnant when she was shot and killed by her boyfriend in 2017 — who, along with Laura’s father Mark Wallen, got good news in a late-night text Monday.

“It is my honor to inform you that the bill passed both houses, with no votes against!” read the 11:25 p.m. message from Maryland Sen. Justin Ready, a Republican from Carroll County, who was the primary sponsor of Laura and Reid’s Law in the Maryland General Assembly...."

Parents of murdered teacher ‘proud’ of Md. as bill to protect pregnant women set to become law | WTOP

'Laura and Reid's' law signed by Maryland governor (with clip)

May 13, 2019

"ANNAPOLIS, Md. —
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan signed "Laura and Reid's" law Monday.

Howard County teacher Laura Wallen was pregnant with a baby boy that she planned to name Reid when investigators said her boyfriend, Tyler Tessier, killed her in 2017. Tessier killed himself while awaiting trial.

The new law toughens sentences for violent crimes against pregnant women. Wallen's parents were at the bill signing Monday.

"If this helps another woman in the state of Maryland, then we will have honored Laura, and so it's not as much about healing as it is about honoring Laura and honoring Reid," said Wallen's mother, Gwen Wallen...."

Maryland governor signs 'Laura and Reid's' bill into law

Governor Larry Hogan‏Verified account @GovLarryHogan 14h14 hours ago
I was proud to sign a number of bills that will go into effect tomorrow, many of which are essential to the safety and security of Marylanders.

Governor Larry Hogan‏Verified account @GovLarryHogan 14h14 hours ago

Laura and Reid’s Law is named in honor of Howard County educator Laura Wallen and her unborn son. It increases sentences for those who commit crimes of violence against women they know or believe to be pregnant.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW MARYLAND LAWS TAKING EFFECT INCLUDE ‘LAURA AND REID’S LAW’

SEPTEMBER 30, 2019

"A new law that takes effect Tuesday in Maryland honors the late Laura Wallen, who was killed by Tyler Tessier, the father of her unborn child.

The law, Laura and Reid’s Law — Wallen planned to name her son Reid — increases the sentences for crimes against women known to be pregnant. Wallen was from Olney and taught high school in Columbia. Tessier died by suicide last September as his trial was about to begin...."

New Maryland Laws Taking Effect Include ‘Laura and Reid's Law’ | Montgomery Community Media

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back