MD - Laura Wallen, 31, pregnant, Olney, 3 Sept 2017 #2 *Suspect found Dead during Trial*

Kate Amara
‏Verified account @kateamaraWBAL
20m20 minutes ago

Judge announced he has qualified enough potential jurors to strike a pool, and have extras. Panel of 12 with 2/3 alternates. Selecting actual panel should happen quickly tomorrow with openings in the morning. #LauraWallen

and I'll look in the morning to see if she has anymore tweets for today's selection. Going to bed now....

Kate Amara
20m20 minutes ago

Judge announced he has qualified enough potential jurors to strike a pool, and have extras. Panel of 12 with 2/3 alternates. Selecting actual panel should happen quickly tomorrow with openings in the morning. #LauraWallen

and I'll look in the morning to see if she has anymore tweets for today's selection. Going to bed now....

Thanks so much @Niner! Sleep well!

Here's some tweets I found this morning.

Neal Augenstein
‏Verified account @AugensteinWTOP
9h9 hours ago

Jury still not seated, but opening statements scheduled to begin about 10:30am Thursday in murder trial of Tyler Tessier, charged in Sept 2017 death of pregnant girlfriend Laura Wallen. We'll be there, at Montgomery County Circuit Court, and will bring you the details.

Here's what will happen tomorrow morning in the murder trial of Tyler Tessier, for the death of his pregnant girlfriend Laura Wallen. Both the prosecution and defense will use their peremptory challenges to seat the jury. According to Maryland law...

In a case involving a possible life sentence, Tessier's public defender Allen Wolf will get 20 peremptory challenges, and prosecutors will get 10. Peremptory challenges, or 'strikes,' means the lawyer can eliminate a person from the jury pool without having to explain why.

It's not clear how many alternate jurors Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Michael Mason will seat. Opening statements will likely begin at 10:30am. We'll be in the courtroom, and will bring you the latest here, on WTOP: Washington, DC’s Top News, Traffic, & Weather | Washington's Top News , and 103.5FM

Mike Hellgren
‏Verified account @HellgrenWJZ
12h12 hours ago

State’s Attorney notes good progress is being made selecting a jury in Tyler Tessier case, but court doesn’t think a jury will be seated until tomorrow morning. @wjz

Judge in Tyler Tessier case said he has now “qualified a large enough pool of jurors to serve in this case.” Jury itself has not been formally seated yet. They’re planning on 2 or 3 alternates @wjz

State’s Attorney says Tyler Tessier jury should be empaneled by 10 tomorrow morning; opening statements around 11am @wjz

Thursday, Sept. 6th:
*Finish Jury Selection & then Trial set to begin (Day 1) (@ 9:30am ET) - MD – Laura Wallen (31, 14 wks pregnant) (Sept. 3, 2017, found Sept. 13, 2017) – Tyler Lewis Tessier (32) (BF) arrested & charged (9/13/17) with 1st degree murder, obstruction of justice, tampering with evidence & making false statements to LE. Plead not guilty. Held without bail. DA seeks life without the possibility of parole.
*trial should last 10 days.
8/24/18 Update: Motions hearing; confession tape will not be played at trial; admitted shooting her in the head. All motions should be filed by 8/29.
9/4/18 Update: Day 1 of Jury selection: Pool of 175 jurors to be whittled down to 12 plus 4 alternates. Opening statements expect Thursday, 9/6 & trial could run thru 9/21.
9/5/18 Update: Day 2 of Jury selection: Initial pool of 175 whittled down to 120, then divided into 2 groups: judge & lawyers now in process of taking closer look at group 1, group 2 likely after lunch. Judge announced he has qualified enough potential jurors to strike a pool, and have extras. Selecting actual panel should happen quickly tomorrow with openings in the morning. Jury still not seated, but opening statements scheduled to begin about 10:30am. Planning on 2 or 3 alternates. Both the prosecution & defense will use their peremptory challenges to seat the jury. In a case involving a possible life sentence, Tessier's public defender Allen Wolf will get 20 peremptory challenges, and prosecutors will get 10. Peremptory challenges, or 'strikes,' means the lawyer can eliminate a person from the jury pool without having to explain why. It's not clear how many alternate jurors Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Michael Mason will seat. Opening statements will likely begin at 10:30am.

Kate Amara
20m20 minutes ago

Wow.
Didn't realise it would take so long.
Thanks Niner, and other great Posters, for all your posts, and keeping us up to date.:):)

No link yet, but per local news (WBAL) Tyler Tessier found dead in jail.

There are several tweets, but I don’t know how to copy them on my iPad. (Jayne Miller at WBAL, is one).

While I am not disappointed this murderer is dead, I hope his family does not sue the county.

Also, no indication yet (obviously) whether this is self inflicted, but that seems likely, IMO.

Last edited:
Kate Amara
2h2 hours ago

.@nbcwashington reporting Tyler Tessier found dead in cell. Jury about to be picked in his trial for murder of teacher #LauraWallen

Suspect in murder of pregnant teacher Laura Wallen found dead in his cell this morning sources tell @nbcwashington #LauraWallen

also per news4: Tessier was found dead of apparent suicide around 5:10am in his cell st the Montgomery County Correctional Facility in Rockville ...

Tessier has been in custody since his arrest just after midnight on sept 14 last year. He pleaded not guilty to 1st degree murder, and 3rd day of jury selection was to continue this morning.

Authorities say Tessier shot #laurawallen once in the back of the head, buried her in a shallow grave, and then tried to cover it up

Laura Wallen was 14 weeks pregnant at the time. State was prepared for openings this morning, had evidence public hadn’t heard yet, was convinced they could prove him guilty

BREAKING NEWS . @wbaltv11 has confirmed Tyler Tessier is dead. Found dead in his cell, an apparent suicide

hearing this news, my first thought was Mark & Gwen Wallen. #LauraWallen’s parents have been a constant presence in court, steadfast, engaged, kind

Here’s the official word on Tessier’s death from MoGo Corrections: “The cause of death appears to be suicide. The incident is under investigation.” #LauraWallen

He was so engaged during jury selection process yesterday. Taking notes, participating in every bench conference. Appeared involved and interested in his defense

Kate Amara‏Verified account @kateamaraWBAL 11m
According to MoGo corrections, Tessier was watched all morning. And was dressed and ready for court. Here are the official details:

DmaZqI6UwAEESoP.jpg:large

Maryland murder suspect Tyler Tessier dies in jail cell just before start of his trial

Maryland murder suspect Tyler Tessier dies in jail cell just before start of his trial

Made my day.

I was just getting ready to post the same WaPo article! :D

We'll hear more, I'm sure, as to COD on this guy.
Hmmmm, seems to me, suicide (if so) would indicate a certain degree of guilt, but that's just my opinion, ya know. Grrrrr.
I would think there is some amount of anger by her family to hear this -- no real justice legally -- but they are now freed of the sadness and anger of sitting through a trial and seeing/hearing horrible and maddening testimony and evidence about the Laura they loved and will always miss.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back