GUILTY ME - Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway, 3 mos, found dead, Fairfield, 8 July 2012

Is it common not to see a body till the funeral?? I would think at the hospital the family would of wanted to hold the baby.

I was wondering that same thing...

Maybe mother wasn't able to return, since she was out of town, until the child had been sent to the funeral home.

I thought at funeral homes viewing of the child wasn't provided until the body had been prepared, make-up applied, abrasions covered, etc.?

Just some thoughts...

O/t... Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Dept. of Public Safety mentioned in articles regarding this case, is also very involved with the Ayla Renold's case, too.

FYI

Maybe mother wasn't able to return, since she was out of town, until the child had been sent to the funeral home.

I thought at funeral homes viewing of the child wasn't provided until the body had been prepared, make-up applied, abrasions covered, etc.?

Just some thoughts...

Yeah it does sound odd. Not being able to return before the autopsy? So you leave the tiny baby with a babysitter cause no one else can watch them despite having 4 other children? Who was watching the other kids?

And from what I understand autopsies on infants are very extensive, a mortician once told me they are a lot of work as typically they are cut up quite a lot in search of hidden bruising.

Yeah it does sound odd. Not being able to return before the autopsy? So you leave the tiny baby with a babysitter cause no one else can watch them despite having 4 other children? Who was watching the other kids?

And from what I understand autopsies on infants are very extensive, a mortician once told me they are a lot of work as typically they are cut up quite a lot in search of hidden bruising.

When my son died of SIDS at 7 1/2 weeks 25 years ago... We went in ambulance to hospital, got to hold him with close family members.

At the viewing he didn't look anything like "him" in my opinion, due to autopsy procedures, which I didn't have the heart to ask specifically about.

When my son died of SIDS at 7 1/2 weeks 25 years ago... We went in ambulance to hospital, got to hold him with close family members.

At the viewing he didn't look anything like "him" in my opinion, due to autopsy procedures, which I didn't have the heart to ask specifically about.

Yeah the mortician mentioned SIDS specifically...and said they try hard to make the babies look nice for the families.

Another very sad case that could have been prevented. I creeped around the babysitter's Facebook page and I was surprised to see even a picture of the little baby with another friend. I thought that was a bit inappropriate and really to keep the little girl's name private, she should shut that page off. JMO.

Too many people want to be 'babysitters' but they only want a quick buck and just hang out while the kids do whatever. It's very sad and I'm sure she feels terrible but if she has a kid with anger issues, why in God's name leave the little helpless baby with her alone in a room!!!????? The baby was way too little - I would be nervous just having the baby in the same HOUSE as other NORMAL kids much less sleeping in a room with a troubled kid.

On a side note, I have a brother 10 and half years younger than me and I babysat him a lot when he was a baby. My parents would go out and leave me at home to watch him and my other brother, who was seven at the time. Sometimes overnight. Crazy yes and when I think about it, it's really too young. I didn't do any harm to him then and he turned out okay but I sometimes would like to now!

Maine agency: Sitter also to blame in baby's death

http://www.njherald.com/story/19433...-to-blame-in-babys-death?clienttype=printable

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Maine's child welfare agency and a mother whose baby was allegedly killed by a 10-year-old girl agree - the girl's mother also is to blame.

The mother, who was baby sitting the infant when she died July 8 and whose daughter was charged this week with manslaughter, has not said if she plans to appeal the state agency's finding...............

In a letter obtained Friday by The Associated Press, department caseworker Christopher Filteau wrote the sitter that she made mistakes by leaving the baby in her daughter's bedroom. The caseworker said the 10-year-old has behavior disorders and was not suitable for caring for the infant.

"You neglected to provide the proper level of supervision by allowing Brooklyn to remain in (the girl's) care," the caseworker wrote Aug. 10. "Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway has died as a result of your neglect."

The letter said the 10-year-old girl has "attention deficit hyperactivity disorder," ''oppositional defiant disorder" and "attachment disorder."...........

More information will be filed in conjunction with the girl's first appearance in October in juvenile court, where the maximum penalty for a conviction is incarceration until age 21.

"The juvenile justice system is designed to hold people accountable but to deal with young offenders in a way that prevents future occurrences and gets them the help they need. That's the focus we'll be driving at," Stokes said.

More at link......

This babysitter/mother should have known that her 10 year old dau. with all these problems and violence in the past was not capable of taking care of the baby....such a tragedy and so preventable....whatever was she thinking ......I'm wondering if drinking or drugs are involved?

If that is true then I don't believe for a moment the 10 year old smacked the baby around after she was already unconscious. That baby had to scream and sound hurt. I am not a human baby person but I would recognize the sound of an infant squealing/screaming in extreme distress, and this woman had 3 kids, she would recognize it too!

The mother probably asked and the daughter explained and that was the end of it. The mother notes on her facebook page that it was extra awful because the precious 10 year old "discovered" the dead baby the next morning and that must have been traumatic for the little dear heart.

Creepier still the baby's mother TOLD the babysitter that an adult had to be present at all times when the 10 year old changed diapers etc....so it appears the child's mother realized there was a problem and kept sending the baby there. Where were the other kids? Did she lose custody of them? And if so didn't the baby's mother know that?

Good point about the baby crying loudly when it was injured. Also the baby must have been crying to upset the 10 yr old and Mom should have checked on it. I don't think Mom was taking care of the baby at all.

:heartbeat:

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/...manslaughter-of-3-month-old-Clinton-baby.html

Saturday, September 1, 2012
Yesterday at 9:15 PM

Ten-year-old charged in baby's death

- Photos of mother and baby

- Very interesting video interview with mother

- Photo of babysitter's residence

Nicole Greenaway of Clinton, Brooklyn's mother, said she left Brooklyn for an overnight stay on July 7 with Amanda Huard <snipped> The two women work at Elmwood Primary Care in Waterville.

Greenaway said Huard called her at 1:46 a.m. on July 8 to tell her to go to the hospital because Brooklyn had been found not breathing. By the time Greenaway arrived at the hospital, Brooklyn was dead, she said.

"I was there for three hours," she said. "They wouldn't let me see her. <snipped> Her face was very beat up and bruised." Greenaway said she has photos that she took at the funeral home, showing bruises on the baby's face.

This is going to be another very sad and strange case with multiple factors involved. And here we are in Waterville, MA again ... RIP beautiful little baby girl Brooklyn. :heartbeat:

Is it common not to see a body till the funeral?? I would think at the hospital the family would of wanted to hold the baby.

lets leave all FB's out of it right now.
remember if you cannot link it - it is not open for discussion.

:heartbeat:

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/...manslaughter-of-3-month-old-Clinton-baby.html

Yesterday at 9:15 PM

Ten-year-old charged in baby's death

- Photos of mother and baby

- Very interesting video interview with mother

- Photo of babysitter's residence

This is going to be another very sad and strange case with multiple factors involved. And here we are in Waterville, MA again ... RIP beautiful little baby girl Brooklyn. :heartbeat:

Thanks for that link! Another article about the caseworker's letter to the 10 year old's mother, also answers some of the questions we've had:

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/DHHS-caseworker-blames-babys-death-on-mothers-neglect.html

..........Stokes has directed the DHHS not to release any details about abuse or neglect that may relate to the criminal case against the 10-year-old.

Greenaway said it was at Huard's urging that she left Brooklyn and her 2-year-old daughter, Maddison, at Huard's home at 330 Center Road in Fairfield on the night of July 7.

Huard had said that her 10-year-old was arguing about going to summer camp the next Monday and promised to go quietly if Greenaway's girls spent the night that Saturday, Greenaway said.

Huard had told Greenaway that her 10-year-old was "a baby freak. She loved babies." Greenaway said her daughters had stayed overnight at Huard's home two or three times without any problems.

Greenaway and the girls spent that Saturday afternoon driving back from the Downeast Correctional Facility in Charleston, where they visited her husband, the girls' father. She said she got home, packed their overnight bags -- a change of clothes and formula for Brooklyn -- and took them to Huard's house in nearby Fairfield.

Greenaway visited her brother, then went home and was asleep in bed by 11:30 p.m., she said.

Greenaway said Brooklyn's bassinette was brought up to the 10-year-old's room on the second floor of Huard's home.

She said she doesn't know where Maddison slept, whether in the 10-year-old's room or in the room of Huard's 9-year-old daughter. That daughter lived with her father but visited her mother. The father has since asked a court to remove Huard's custody rights............

Police then interviewed her for two hours, she said, and later asked to see photos she had taken Saturday -- time-stamped photos that showed the child had no injuries just before Greenaway dropped her off at Huard's house.........

Greenaway said she was told by police that Huard told them she was watching movies on television while Brooklyn was crying........

Greenaway said she still works with Huard at Elmwood Primary Care in Waterville but avoids talking to her.............

Had the 10-year-old been detained by police, the [charging] document would have to have been filed within 24 hours. Because she was issued a summons to appear in court Oct. 22, there is no need to hurry, Stokes said.

More at link.....

:eek:

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/...d-with-manslaughter-in-death-of-clinton-baby/

September 1, 2012 5:16 p.m.

Nicole Greenaway said the 10-year-old is the daughter of a woman she works with at MaineGeneral Medical Center in Waterville. Greenaway said the woman was baby-sitting Brooklyn before she died.

The baby&#8217;s parents live in Clinton and had arranged for the child to spend the night at the baby sitter&#8217;s Fairfield home, according to The Associated Press.

Greenaway has three other children, ages 2, 15 and 16 <snipped>

http://www.njherald.com/story/194336...type=printable

The letter said the 10-year-old girl has "attention deficit hyperactivity disorder," ''oppositional defiant disorder" and "attachment disorder."

Are we looking at a situation where the mother failed to protect her baby?? Just asking.

If that is true then I don't believe for a moment the 10 year old smacked the baby around after she was already unconscious.

That baby had to scream and sound hurt. I am not a human baby person but I would recognize the sound of an infant squealing/screaming in extreme distress, and this woman had 3 kids, she would recognize it too!

Creepier still the baby's mother TOLD the babysitter that an adult had to be present at all times when the 10 year old changed diapers etc....so it appears the child's mother realized there was a problem and kept sending the baby there.

Where were the other kids? Did she lose custody of them? And if so didn't the baby's mother know that?

Thanks for that link! Another article about the caseworker's letter to the 10 year old's mother, also answers some of the questions we've had:

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/DHHS-caseworker-blames-babys-death-on-mothers-neglect.html

..........Stokes has directed the DHHS not to release any details about abuse or neglect that may relate to the criminal case against the 10-year-old.

Greenaway said it was at Huard's urging that she left Brooklyn and her 2-year-old daughter, Maddison, at Huard's home at 330 Center Road in Fairfield on the night of July 7.

Huard had said that her 10-year-old was arguing about going to summer camp the next Monday and promised to go quietly if Greenaway's girls spent the night that Saturday, Greenaway said.

Huard had told Greenaway that her 10-year-old was "a baby freak. She loved babies." Greenaway said her daughters had stayed overnight at Huard's home two or three times without any problems.

Greenaway and the girls spent that Saturday afternoon driving back from the Downeast Correctional Facility in Charleston, where they visited her husband, the girls' father. She said she got home, packed their overnight bags -- a change of clothes and formula for Brooklyn -- and took them to Huard's house in nearby Fairfield.

Greenaway visited her brother, then went home and was asleep in bed by 11:30 p.m., she said.

Greenaway said Brooklyn's bassinette was brought up to the 10-year-old's room on the second floor of Huard's home.

She said she doesn't know where Maddison slept, whether in the 10-year-old's room or in the room of Huard's 9-year-old daughter. That daughter lived with her father but visited her mother. The father has since asked a court to remove Huard's custody rights............

Police then interviewed her for two hours, she said, and later asked to see photos she had taken Saturday -- time-stamped photos that showed the child had no injuries just before Greenaway dropped her off at Huard's house.........

Greenaway said she was told by police that Huard told them she was watching movies on television while Brooklyn was crying........Greenaway said she still works with Huard at Elmwood Primary Care in Waterville but avoids talking to her.............

Had the 10-year-old been detained by police, the [charging] document would have to have been filed within 24 hours. Because she was issued a summons to appear in court Oct. 22, there is no need to hurry, Stokes said.

More at link.....

bbm: Why do I invision babysitter sitting there involved in the movie, shoeing the 10 yr old away when she came downstairs to the adults BECAUSE the baby was crying and she could'nt handle it, but was told to "deal w/ it" cause thats what the 10 yr old wanted.??
Yea i would'nt even let a 10 yr old carry an infant. So fragile that young.

I cannot believe mom works w/ babysitter. I guess that will be a moot issue if babysitter gets charged but that's not something I could handle w/ restraint.

:eek:

Are we looking at a situation where the mother failed to protect her baby?? Just asking.

I'm not thinking so unless something else comes up.....It might have been a reporting error or misundestanding saying 'parents' since she took the 2 youngest to visit their father that day.....

there is a big difference in the 2 older children's ages, possibly from a former marriage...these teenagers might have had plans of their own for the weekend, visiting friends, their own father?

Don't know if the mother knew all about the 10 year old's problems but even if she did, she specifically told the babysitter that the 10yr. old was not to be alone with the baby....and they had stayed before with no problems....acc. to reports...

IMO....

So the mother spent the day visiting her hubby in prison...and then dropped the newborn and the other kids off with the "trusted" babysitter. Why did the mom drop the kids off again? Oh yes she visited her brother! Yes that explains why someone leaves an infant with a babysitter all night! Yes most women with infants need to visit their brother, cause their brother can't visit them.

Then suddenly an infant is beaten and drugged and ends up dying. These things happen randomly to the best people. The brother probably lived in a place that didn't allow infants.

:)

Reader, thanks for your response!

I read the two mothers worked together and were somewhat friends, so I am assuming Greenaway would have had knowledge of the 10-yr old's medical and anger issues. And, leaving a 3-mo. old overnight in that situation, I have a problem with that. My hinky meter kicked in.

I noticed the age differences in the four children ... and thought, two different fathers ... not realizing one father was going to be in prison. I am thinking lots of stress in Greenaway's life.

The mother admits that Huard has kept the child before ... so, I wonder how frequently has this little baby been exposed to that environment.

I have been exposed to a young neighborhood child with ADD and seen first-hand how angry they can become ... and how exhausting for the parents.

Now, we learn the father is filing to gain custody of Huard's 9-yr old.

And, Greenaway's 2-yr. old spent overnight too and she didn't even know what the sleeping arrangements were going to be for either child?

So, FWIW...MOO

I'm not thinking so unless something else comes up.....It might have been a reporting error or misundestanding saying 'parents' since she took the 2 youngest to visit their father that day.....

there is a big difference in the 2 older children's ages, possibly from a former marriage...these teenagers might have had plans of their own for the weekend, visiting friends, their own father?

Don't know if the mother knew all about the 10 year old's problems but even if she did, she specifically told the babysitter that the 10yr. old was not to be alone with the baby....and they had stayed before with no problems....acc. to reports...
IMO....

The fact that the 10 year old is on meds and has obvious anger issues as evidenced by the holes kicked in her walls make it astounding to me that the the mom (of the 10 year old) would leave her alone with the baby, much less, let the baby sleep in her room alone with her for potentially hours at a time unsupervised.

Maybe I am overly cautious but with a baby that is a few months old is exceptionally fragile and helpless. They are at a risk for sids or could suffocate if laid on a soft bed, pillows, etc. I could NOT just casually pass a baby off to a child as if it were a stuffed animal. I would NOT let a child carry such a young infant up and down stairs.

This is a nightmare situation for all involved

Imo, definitely this child needs some consistent, long term, probably residential psychiatric care, but I swear if the authorities hang this little girl out to dry for the crimes of her mother I will have a twitch

So the mother spent the day visiting her hubby in prison...and then dropped the newborn and the other kids off with the "trusted" babysitter. Why did the mom drop the kids off again? Oh yes she visited her brother! Yes that explains why someone leaves an infant with a babysitter all night! Yes most women with infants need to visit their brother, cause their brother can't visit them.

Then suddenly an infant is beaten and drugged and ends up dying. These things happen randomly to the best people. The brother probably lived in a place that didn't allow infants.

Didn't I read that mom went home to go to sleep after visiting brother?

so she was actually at home when she received the emergency call from the babysitter?

It would be interesting to see where the brother lives... Or where they met.

I am not implicating mom... Just trying to get a timeline of events of that day/night.

ETA: Online Sentinel... "Greenaway visited her brother, then went home and was asleep by 11:30 p.m., she said."

:thud:

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/...10-year-old-injured-another-baby-in-June.html

Posted: 7:07 PM
Updated: 10:49 PM

Former housemate says 10-year-old injured another baby in June

The couple said the incident occurred June 19, when they were living in the basement of a home on Center Road in Fairfield with Amanda Huard and her two children, including the 10-year-old girl.

Tenney, the former roommate of Huard's who said her own daughter was given medication by the 10-year-old girl, gave an account of the incident in an interview Friday.

She said she came home from work on the evening of June 19 to find that her daughter, Jaylynn, was pale, sweating, and listless. "She was soaked in sweat -- just drenched," said Tenney, 20. "She was so pale. Whiter than a sheet of paper."

The baby had spent time alone with the 10-year-old, said Hopkins, the baby's father, and the only adult in the house at the time.

Tenney and Hopkins rushed the baby to the emergency room at MaineGeneral Medical Center in Waterville after she had what Tenney called a seizure.

Good Lord...

According to the notice, Huard's 10-year-old daughter suffers from significant behavioral problems, and it contends that Huard has failed to follow through on the required treatment. That treatment includes ensuring that the girl was taking medications for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, oppositional defiant disorder and attachment disorder.

The notice also says: "You knew that (the 10-year-old) should not be babysitting children but have continued to allow her to do so."

Tenney said she and the 10-year-old were interviewed June 23 by workers with the DHHS Office of Child and Family Services, and that Hopkins and Huard were interviewed during the week of June 25. About 10 days before Brooklyn's death, Tenney said, all four people were told that they were not to leave young children in the 10-year-old's care.

She produced a "safety assessment and planning form" in an envelope from DHHS postmarked July 20 and addressed to her, that states, "Jaylynn ingested amphetamines" as an item under the heading "Past Harm, Future Danger, and Complicating Factors."

According to the form, in order for the office to close the case on the incident, the 10-year-old "will not have any contact with Jaylynn."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back