GUILTY ME - Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway, 3 mos, found dead, Fairfield, 8 July 2012

bbm: Why do I invision babysitter sitting there involved in the movie, shoeing the 10 yr old away when she came downstairs to the adults BECAUSE the baby was crying and she could'nt handle it, but was told to "deal w/ it" cause thats what the 10 yr old wanted.??
Yea i would'nt even let a 10 yr old carry an infant. So fragile that young.

I also find it hard to believe Greenaway had no clue that the girl was dangerous. They lived in a small town, they worked at the same place, they were both facebook users, I would bet the girls behavior problems were noticeable to anyone that spent any amount of time in her house! Plus Greenaway TOLD the sitter not to let the girl be alone with the baby, yet she sends both of her kids over there all night specifically because the 10 year old wanted to "play" with the baby!

So glad to hear the 9 year old's father is getting that girl out of there, she looks like a sweet kid and hopefully she isn't too damaged from being in that house. I wonder where the 10 year old's father is?

Good Lord! These women.:what:

At this point, I really hope the state is looking into the babysitters household in great detail. Babysitter mom was not watching the baby, she was letting her 10 yr old troubled girl play mommy.

One other thing....don't people realize they shouldn't hash issues like this out on facebook? People should have some sense. I only say this b/c I wouldn't be surprised to next hear that babysitter files some kind of lawsuit against mom for some of the things that have been said on facebook about her. Especially if the LE doesn't charge babysitter with anything.

One other thing....don't people realize they shouldn't hash issues like this out on facebook? People should have some sense. I only say this b/c I wouldn't be surprised to next hear that babysitter files some kind of lawsuit against mom for some of the things that have been said on facebook about her. Especially if the LE doesn't charge babysitter with anything.

I think you can usually only sue if someone knowingly posts lies, if they are making statements that are in fact true (and documented) that is another matter.

The husband sure does not look like Brooklyn's biological dad, especially compared to his other child. Seems they were recently married and it wasn't going well, who was Brooklyn's father?

Tenny was there with Huard the night poor Brooklyn was killed. another adult who knew the dangers the ten year-old presented. she should be charged as well, in my opinion. I also question whether NG was aware of all of this and that is the reason for the statement to the effect of, I told them an adult needed to be present at all times. I was a child protection caseworker, and I have seen time and again the sins of the parent visited upon the child-this ten year old needs help, but the adults need jail time.

By charging this 10 year old, authorities are able to remove her from her mother and provide this 10 year old with treatment and services.
I wouldn't have any problem if the 10 year old's mother was charged with some sort of neglect either.

Tenny was there with Huard the night poor Brooklyn was killed. another adult who knew the dangers the ten year-old presented. she should be charged as well, in my opinion. I also question whether NG was aware of all of this and that is the reason for the statement to the effect of, I told them an adult needed to be present at all times. I was a child protection caseworker, and I have seen time and again the sins of the parent visited upon the child-this ten year old needs help, but the adults need jail time.

I am not trying to "point fingers" but my hinky meter went off when I read earlier that there was a 20 year old living in the basement, and that could hear the activity on the night of poor Brooklyn's death.

Now that I read that her own child had been harmed by the ten year old... I see a lack of responsibility on her part, too!

By charging this 10 year old, authorities are able to remove her from her mother and provide this 10 year old with treatment and services.

Do you believe treatment and services will fix the problem? No one has suggested the mother was abusing this girl, the mother was doting on her, being controlled by her etc... The problems are likely organic.

I don't believe anything is likely to fix the problem. But that is neither here nor there.
I don't think she should be left with her mother, that's for sure. Mother allowed 10 year old to babysit, so where is mother's common sense?

Do you believe treatment and services will fix the problem? No one has suggested the mother was abusing this girl, the mother was doting on her, being controlled by her etc... The problems are likely organic.

imo, you hit the nail somewhat on the head. perhaps the girls behavioral issues are organic, perhaps they are at least greatly a result of what some would call "benign neglect", i.e. Letting her be in control of the family, spoiled, lack of appropriate teaching and discipline, etc. without knowing the entire history, hard to know, but an attachment disorder can have horrible results on a child's psyche.
Unfortunately, I also know that institutionalizing any child is a frightening gamble-I believe there are very few treatment or residential institutions that operate from a mission of love and guidance. rather, most are run and staffed by criminal justice majors.
Beyond any of that, however, there were a series of decisions-or more likely non-decisions-made by adults which led to the horrible death of an innocent baby at the hands of a child. heartbreaking does not begin to describe it, imo.

Thanks for that link! Another article about the caseworker's letter to the 10 year old's mother, also answers some of the questions we've had:

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/DHHS-caseworker-blames-babys-death-on-mothers-neglect.html

..........Stokes has directed the DHHS not to release any details about abuse or neglect that may relate to the criminal case against the 10-year-old.

Greenaway said it was at Huard's urging that she left Brooklyn and her 2-year-old daughter, Maddison, at Huard's home at 330 Center Road in Fairfield on the night of July 7.

Huard had said that her 10-year-old was arguing about going to summer camp the next Monday and promised to go quietly if Greenaway's girls spent the night that Saturday, Greenaway said.

Huard had told Greenaway that her 10-year-old was "a baby freak. She loved babies." Greenaway said her daughters had stayed overnight at Huard's home two or three times without any problems.

Greenaway and the girls spent that Saturday afternoon driving back from the Downeast Correctional Facility in Charleston, where they visited her husband, the girls' father. She said she got home, packed their overnight bags -- a change of clothes and formula for Brooklyn -- and took them to Huard's house in nearby Fairfield.

Greenaway visited her brother, then went home and was asleep in bed by 11:30 p.m., she said.

Greenaway said Brooklyn's bassinette was brought up to the 10-year-old's room on the second floor of Huard's home.

She said she doesn't know where Maddison slept, whether in the 10-year-old's room or in the room of Huard's 9-year-old daughter. That daughter lived with her father but visited her mother. The father has since asked a court to remove Huard's custody rights............

Police then interviewed her for two hours, she said, and later asked to see photos she had taken Saturday -- time-stamped photos that showed the child had no injuries just before Greenaway dropped her off at Huard's house.........

Greenaway said she was told by police that Huard told them she was watching movies on television while Brooklyn was crying........

Greenaway said she still works with Huard at Elmwood Primary Care in Waterville but avoids talking to her.............

Had the 10-year-old been detained by police, the [charging] document would have to have been filed within 24 hours. Because she was issued a summons to appear in court Oct. 22, there is no need to hurry, Stokes said.

More at link.....

Greenaway said Brooklyn's bassinette was brought up to the 10-year-old's room on the second floor of Huard's home.

I cannot tell if this means NG knew the bassinet was brought to the ten year old's room before she left or if this is something law enforcement told her after the fact. critical to have this piece of info clear, imo.

Greenaway said it was at Huard's urging that she left Brooklyn and her 2-year-old daughter, Maddison, at Huard's home at 330 Center Road in Fairfield on the night of July 7.

Huard had said that her 10-year-old was arguing about going to summer camp the next Monday and promised to go quietly if Greenaway's girls spent the night that Saturday, Greenaway said.

Huard had told Greenaway that her 10-year-old was "a baby freak. She loved babies." Greenaway said her daughters had stayed overnight at Huard's home two or three times without any problems.

Greenaway and the girls spent that Saturday afternoon driving back from the Downeast Correctional Facility in Charleston, where they visited her husband, the girls' father. She said she got home, packed their overnight bags -- a change of clothes and formula for Brooklyn -- and took them to Huard's house in nearby Fairfield.

Greenaway visited her brother, then went home and was asleep in bed by 11:30 p.m., she said.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/DHHS-caseworker-blames-babys-death-on-mothers-neglect.html

Am I reading this right? So there was NO real reason for the baby and toddler sister M to spend the night at the babysitter's house. Just that the they were sent over there to appease the 10 year old to get her to go to camp "quietly"?

Wait, what? Why would anyone hand their 3 month old over to anyone to appease a kid with a behavior problem. How do you casually hand off a tiny infant like that? As a mother, I would NOT be separated from my child, overnight, at that age for any reason. My every waking thought at that point in my child's life was about him. I would miss his presence even if he was just sleeping in the other room.

I was surrounded by completely competent adults, including my beloved MIL, who could easily watch him if I wanted but I had no desire to be away from him. I could not enjoy myself if he were not where I could see that he was ok.

I'm not blaming the mom but I am not understanding why she left her child there either. I can understand that she was essentially a single parent seeing as the baby's daddy was apparently in jail (if I am understanding correctly) so perhaps she needed a break. But it still just doesn't sit right with me.

In light of the issues with the 10 year old having attachment disorder and oppositional behavior, why on earth would the mother (of the 10 year old) allow her child to have the baby unsupervised?

I'm just not understanding the reasoning behind why all of this happened as it did but I'm afraid that hear either mother's answers really won't make it make any more sense to me.

:confused:

I am confused about the fathers of the four children ages 3 mos, 2, 15,16 yrs. I thought the two younger children had a different father than the two older children, 15 and 16 yr olds, with the father of the two older children possibly being the one in prison. However, in reading the news provided by Reader's link, it seems the father of the two younger children is the one in prison??

So, who is the male figure in "baby's parents" from the Bangor Daily News link below??

And, does anyone know anything about the role of the father in the lives of the 15 and 16 year old children.

Changing the subject ... does it seem to anyone else that Greenaway might have been aware that Brooklyn was going to be sleeping in her bassinette in the 10-yr old's room upstairs, based on the link from sentinel provided by Reader??

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/...d-with-manslaughter-in-death-of-clinton-baby/

The baby’s parents live in Clinton and had arranged for the child to spend the night at the baby sitter’s Fairfield home, according to The Associated Press.

Another article about the caseworker's letter to the 10 year old's mother, also answers some of the questions we've had:

She said she doesn't know where Maddison slept, whether in the 10-year-old's room or in the room of Huard's 9-year-old daughter. That daughter lived with her father but visited her mother. The father has since asked a court to remove Huard's custody rights............
More at link.....

Honestly why has'nt mom of 10 yr old been charged w/?? for the 10 yr old having open access to her adhd meds?? Muchless neglect when she did'nt come to the aid of the 10 yr old (& obviously the infant)when she brought the baby downstairs cause she could'nt quiet the baby.??

Honestly why has'nt mom of 10 yr old been charged w/?? for the 10 yr old having open access to her adhd meds?? Muchless neglect when she did'nt come to the aid of the 10 yr old (& obviously the infant)when she brought the baby downstairs cause she could'nt quiet the baby.??

I can't believe I didn't think of that before...

How/why did the 10 year old with behavioral problems (or any 10 year old for that matter) have access to the meds?

Huard has at least 3 myspace pages - don't want to link since she is not poi -yet.

:anguish:

A very sad and disturbing case. What hell will this 10-Yr old child go through because of poor parenting and poor decision making on the part of two mothers. This girl's life is going to change forever. Hopefully, within that hell, she will receive the medical and psychiatric care and treatment she so badly needed.

Statement from Attorney John Martin representing 10-yr. old girl

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/maine-fairfield-10-year-old.html

August 31, 2012

Lawyer: Girl charged in baby's death not in juvenile detention

SKOWHEGAN — Lawyer for a 10-year-old girl charged with manslaughter in the death of an infant said Friday that no court paperwork has been filed in the case and his client is not being held at a juvenile detention facility.

John Martin, who represents the girl, was issued a court summons ordering the girl to appear in Skowhegan District Court on Oct. 22.

<snipped>... the 10-year-old Fairfield girl is in the custody of the Department of Health and Human Services but not in relation to the criminal charges against her.
<snipped> and BBM

Other Legal Opinions in the Case for 10-Yr old Girl

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/ten-year-old-unlikely-to-face-trial-lawyers-say_2012-09-01.html

Sunday, September 2, 2012
Yesterday at 12:40 AM

Ten-year-old unlikely to face trial, lawyers say

Juvenile defense lawyers say it would be highly unlikely for a 10-year-old girl to be found competent to stand trial in a Maine juvenile proceeding and virtually impossible for a 10-year-old to be found competent to stand trial in adult court.

"This is uncharted waters. It is a very odd case," said Walter McKee, an Augusta trial lawyer.

Juvenile law experts said that when a police report is filed against a juvenile, the matter typically goes to a juvenile community corrections officer, who determines whether the case should be diverted from the court system to a mental health counselor or community service program.

The district attorney can decide to prosecute the case, said Edwin "Ned" Chester, a Portland juvenile defense lawyer. "This is the only way the district attorney can have any significant input into the process," he said.
<snipped> and BBM

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/...d-with-manslaughter-in-death-of-clinton-baby/

Augusta lawyer Walter McKee, who has defended juveniles charged with manslaughter, said such cases can follow two paths. The case can stay in juvenile court or be transferred to Superior Court, where the juvenile would be tried as an adult.

But McKee said he couldn’t fathom how a 10-year-old could be tried as an adult.

“Regardless of what court it goes to, there would be significant issues of whether the child had the brainpower to have the state of mind to commit the crime,” said McKee. “This is a hotly discussed topic now.”

McKee said the brain of a prepubescent child, such a 10-year-old, is far less developed than that of an adult. "It’s not [an] apples and oranges [comparison],” he said. “It’s apples to carburetors— the furthest away from a fruit you can get.”
<snipped> and BBM

Thank you, Southernnana-this allows one to breath a bit easier after hearing the girl's attorney. hopefully she is in is therapeutic environment and people are gearing up to fight like hell to get her away from this chaos permanently.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back