Meredith Kercher murdered-Amanda Knox Conviction Overturned #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ludicrous that the court thinks they can find someone innocent. Barring a rock solid alibi, of which there is none, there's no way they can claim that.

The verdict is also contradictory. On the one hand Knox is innocent of the murder, but on the other she's guilty of defaming Lumumba, also meaning there was no coercion in the interrogation. I'd like them to explain why she would defame Lumumba if she was innocent.

This is the crux of why I will find the motivations document very interesting. One part of Italian criminal law that is very different is that the judge is required, within 90 days, to write a document explaining the reasons for the conviction or acquital.

I find there to be a contraction here, and I suspect that Amanda may appeal this on conviction -- and might have a good chance at success.

It's ludicrous that the court thinks they can find someone innocent. Barring a rock solid alibi, of which there is none, there's no way they can claim that.

The verdict is also contradictory. On the one hand Knox is innocent of the murder, but on the other she's guilty of defaming Lumumba, also meaning there was no coercion in the interrogation. I'd like them to explain why she would defame Lumumba if she was innocent.

If I heard correctly, when the judge read the verdict there was recognition that she had been pressured/coerced but was still responsible. Wouldn't the sentence have been longer if there had not been that extenuating circumstance? I thought they were talking about a possible 6 year sentence for her parents in the libel trial. Can anyone else clarify that?

As for why an innocent person would lie, there's a pretty good article on HuffPost this morning: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dylan-evans/mistakes-made-in-knox-cas_b_993643.html

Don't forget that the police were telling her they had solid evidence that she had been there, but suggested to her that she was so traumatized that she had amnesia. And they had been harping on the text message with PL, suggesting that he was involved. So they asked her to imagine what MAY have happened. Never did AK say she was absolutely sure that her statement was accurate, but instead stressed that it did not seem as real as her memory of being at Raffaelle's apartment. I'm not sure if I've specifically read this somewhere, but I suspect that they were giving her the impression that if she recovered a memory of being there but not being involved, that would explain whatever solid evidence they had that she was there. I think she had the impression that once she gave them this statement, she'd be free to go.

Here is the relevant paragraph, although the whole article is worth looking at for anyone still struggling with this case:
"Last but not least, during her interrogation the police asked Knox to imagine what might have happened at her flat had she been there. It was apparently this question that led Knox to think she had seen Patrick Lumumba (Kercher's boss) at the crime scene, and sign a statement in Italian to that effect. Yet psychologists have long known that merely imagining an event can lead to false memories. The phenomenon is known as "imagination inflation," and has been documented in dozens of studies. Unfortunately, law enforcement officials are as ignorant of this phenomenon as they are of confirmation bias. When they ask suspects to imagine their possible role in a murder they do not at first remember, therefore, this very exercise may unknowingly lead the suspect to believe that he or she was really involved. Likewise, when clinical psychologists repeatedly encourage a client to imagine being sexually abused as a child, they may inadvertently foster a memory of something that did not really happen."

One murderer and that is Rudy. His story made no sense, and could not explain a lot. But no one wants to point that out, and Only 16 years in prison, what 13 left. He will have plenty of time to live the rest of his life, and Meredith does not. Maybe he should get more for pointing fingers at Amanda and Raffaelle, just like Amanda got for the club owner, which I really think she should of not gotten. I like solid evidence, and there is not even one inch of anything to put blame on those two, but the real murderers confession, ok hhmm that makes sense.

I'm still not sure which way to go on this case. My main reason for thinking it was a group effort: no DNA under MK nails. To me, that is pretty telling... Seems a little off that the cell phones of AK and her BF were turned off as well and there was no internet activity. However, if AK and the boyfriend were involved you would think Rudy would tell a rock solid truth about the three of them acting in concert as opposed to saying "he heard them" , he saw shadows, etc..... I guess one could say he's in CYA mode by not admitting direct involvement, however... As far as DNA from the accused two, I just see it as unreliable because it would make total sense for their DNA to be all over the place, AK lived there and her boyfriend surely visited. I do think it's a little odd AK's DNA was no where on the lamp under MK's bed, it was her lamp, so it follows her DNA should have been all over it. I completley have to discount the knife at the boyfriend's house, who would be that stupid to save it? If they did such a good job cleaning up, get rid of the knife already.....

There is no evidence that the killing of Meredith Kercher was "a group crime." What little evidence there was--DNA on a knife and a bra clasp--has been discredited. I suspect Micheli has figured that out by now.

Well, now that A/R are free and found not guilty, I feel we've said all that has to be said about events of that fateful night - for anyone who questions the evidence, just go through all the previous threads/posts.. all the arguments are there, pro and con, stated many times over.
I feel I no longer have to defend A/R...

Well, now that A/R are free and found not guilty, I feel we've said all that has to be said about events of that fateful night - for anyone who questions the evidence, just go through all the previous threads/posts.. all the arguments are there, pro and con, stated many times over.
I feel I no longer have to defend A/R...
I feel the same, Steve. It's over. And it ended well. I will never forget Hellman's voice ringing out, when he addressed the prosecution's desire for life in prison for the 2 defendants: "I cannot comply with this request of the parties, because these crimes were not committed. " Let Mignini appeal, it is over. Let people question, it is over.

I'm still not sure which way to go on this case. My main reason for thinking it was a group effort: no DNA under MK nails. To me, that is pretty telling... Seems a little off that the cell phones of AK and her BF were turned off as well and there was no internet activity. However, if AK and the boyfriend were involved you would think Rudy would tell a rock solid truth about the three of them acting in concert as opposed to saying "he heard them" , he saw shadows, etc..... I guess one could say he's in CYA mode by not admitting direct involvement, however... As far as DNA from the accused two, I just see it as unreliable because it would make total sense for their DNA to be all over the place, AK lived there and her boyfriend surely visited. I do think it's a little odd AK's DNA was no where on the lamp under MK's bed, it was her lamp, so it follows her DNA should have been all over it. I completley have to discount the knife at the boyfriend's house, who would be that stupid to save it? If they did such a good job cleaning up, get rid of the knife already.....

It is entirely possible that Rudy had accomplices. There was an unidentified car parked outside of the cottage, and there was an unidenified blck man (not Rudy) seen running from the area.

If there was a group that comitted the crime, you should look for Rudy's accomplices within his friends and associates -- not the victims.

Amanda said that she turned her cell off -- Raffaele just had no activity.

IIRC, the lamp was never tested for DNA. So not finding any of Amanda on it is not surprising.

Well, I must say that I'm happy with the way this has turned out. I don't know if Amanda is innocent, but it seems that Amanda was railroaded, along with Raffaele, so I had trouble trusting the guilty verdict, though I'm more keen to believe she at the very least knew something about the murder. She wasn't honest, and she didn't seem to give a damn that Meredith was brutally murdered. But still, that doesn't mean the justice system in Italy was fair to her and Raffaele.

I'm deeply sorry for the victim, but the accused deserved a fair trail. There wasn't one in this case, IMO.

Send Amanda home.

http://news.yahoo.com/disappointed-kerchers-look-answers-knox-freed-090936961.html

"Stephanie Kercher, Meredith's sister, said they would first wait for the court's written explanation of Monday's verdict.
"Once we've got the reasons behind the decisions for this one, then we can understand why they have been acquitted of it and work toward finding those who are responsible," she told a news conference."

Amanda+Knox+Amanda+Knox+Raffaele+Sollecito+5nLc65JlJbbl.jpg

Zimbio.com
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Amanda+Knox+Amanda+Knox+Raffaele+Sollecito+5nLc65JlJbbl.jpg

This has been the most passionate thread I have ever seen at WS, while I disagree with many of you, I respect your opinion! My fear is that just because someone is American, if the crime is in another country, the majority will fight for them, not the victim! This is all about the victim! By the way good morning WS friends!

BBM: I agree ... and may I add that IMO, the thread on the West Memphis 3 also has a "lot of passion" which is very "pro-defendants".

And that is why I have been very RELUCTANT to post on this thread and the WM3 thread -- because I am "in the minority" as to "my opinion" ... And that's okay ... I respect those who believe the opposite of me ... lol - I could be "wrong" - lol - and it won't be the first time -- lol !

However, it can be very frustrating when someone says it is their "opinion" and that "opinion" gets LOST in the post because of one's stance of "innocent" or "guilty" ...

And yes ... I agree that it's all about the "victim" !

As Always ... my opinion only ...

I wonder is there any evidence besides Rudys word that there were more involved?

http://news.yahoo.com/disappointed-kerchers-look-answers-knox-freed-090936961.html

"I understand the courts agreed that he wasn't acting alone," Kercher's brother Lyle said.
Yes, the high court ruled that he did not act alone. The defense does not agree, and many experts have studied the evidence, and rendered their professional opinions, that Rudy Guede committed a break and entry, which upon finding Meredith home, escalated to an unplanned rape and knifing, ALONE. I think Judge Hellman concurs, as he said with authority that the crimes listed had not been committed by the defendants.

"Stephanie Kercher, Meredith's sister, said they would first wait for the court's written explanation of Monday's verdict.
"Once we've got the reasons behind the decisions for this one, then we can understand why they have been acquitted of it and work toward finding those who are responsible," she told a news conference."
Unfortunately, in the end, I think Guede is the sole culprit, and he has already been convicted and imprisoned.

Well, yesterday morning, I felt that AK was not guilty.

Now after reading these posts, I am not so sure.

One thing I will say for certain is that I have been absolutely blown away by Meredith's family. They have been a class act from day one and have endured more pain than I can possibly imagine. Even with Amanda walking free (which clearly they disagree with), they have maintained a level of dignity that I'm not sure many people could match. They could be screaming from the rooftops about a travesty of justice, but instead they have maintained their composure which, IMO, shows what a wonderful girl Meredith probably was to have come from such a nice family. They have not given up on getting justice for Meredith, but they have chosen to do it in a way that honors her memory.

In the end, the best part of Hellman's ruling was that immediate release was not based on reasonable doubt--- he was basically saying that the staging, the clean up, the crimes, had not occurred, as charged in the original indictment.

In the end, the best part of Hellman's ruling was that immediate release was not based on reasonable doubt--- he was basically saying that the staging, the clean up, the crimes, had not occurred, as charged in the original indictment.

Agreed and considering that reasonable doubt was an option it speaks volumes that the jurors (two of whom were judges) rendered their decision as having not committed the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awb1903