Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting comment by RF that the Mexican government doesn't seem to respond to "bad press." It responds to and protects organized crime groups and is motivated by "special favors."

I hope JR listens to people who understand how things work in Mexico. People in the know keep telling him how important bribes are, but he insists on going with media pressure. I doubt bribes are an absolute guarantee of action or truth, but it would be intersting to know what advice his PI and attorney are giving him.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/637151986459849/

Lol. Bad press will get reporters killed in Mexico and most middle eastern parts of the world. As well as North Korea, Japan and wherever else. Jmo.

So I'm not too surprised of how the media in some countries may stay hush hush. Jmo.

Guilty as charged smarty pants. ; )
I'm a bit glum on this one die to the fact I know the area well
BUt you are right. As long as there isn't a body, we should stay hopeful.

I agree.

Because in all honesty. I want to blame both JR and Jenny. Jmo.

But since Jenny is a younger female from china.

Then I want to blame JR more than Jenny due to the current situation. Jmo

So if JR was a isolated teen that lived in his parents basement; Then I would probably be more sad for him.

But for now.

The totality of the circumstances still has me not happy with JR. Jmo.

OK, in his newest post, now JR needs money to pay for billboards in Oaxaca and Chiapas. He doesn't say how many but they run $600--1200/month. In response to someone suggesting cheaper publicity, JR says they will be using all forms of media, not just billboards. Someone says billboards are a good idea since not everyone has Internet.

Someone asks if the detective has explored trafficking and says it's a red flag possibility. (No response)

In a random comment two hours after the billboard post and right after the trafficking question, JR says this is now a criminal investigation without elaborating about what brought about this change. Someone responds suggesting the deep web and tells him to be careful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/637367723104942/

Putting billboards in Chiapas tells me that they know the driver went that way (an unusual route for trucks due to the narrow road and steep drops). I'd like to know if the drivers were interviewed and gave information that has turned this into a criminal investigation. I'd also like to know if the suspected crime is trafficking, murder or....? But they probably can't and won't say, understandably.

OK, in his newest post, now JR needs money to pay for billboards in Oaxaca and Chiapas. He doesn't say how many but they run $600--1200/month. In response to someone suggesting cheaper publicity, JR says they will be using all forms of media, not just billboards. Someone says billboards are a good idea since not everyone has Internet.

Someone asks if the detective has explored trafficking and says it's a red flag possibility. (No response)

In a random comment two hours after the billboard post and right after the trafficking question, JR says this is now a criminal investigation without elaborating about what brought about this change. Someone responds suggesting the deep web and tells him to be careful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/637367723104942/

Putting billboards in Chiapas tells me that they know the driver went that way (an unusual route for trucks due to the narrow road and steep drops). I'd like to know if the drivers were interviewed and gave information that has turned this into a criminal investigation. I'd also like to know if the suspected crime is trafficking, murder or....? But they probably can't and won't say, understandably.

So now he expects people to donate big money to pay for billboards, but he still doesn’t want to share details about the case.:facepalm:

The “criminal investigation” part is just bait he is throwing out to try and get more donations. It’s the same game he has been playing since the beginning of this case. He just keeps throwing the bait out to see what he catches. I think most people are starting to see through it, by now.

This post may seem negative but I don't see the funding for billboards or a reward if someone comes forth with a tip that leads to Jenny.
I do hope whether thru billboards or other media he receives a tip that leads to Jenny.
Just thinking....they are interested in posting billboards because not everyone has social media but has he offered a reward via social media yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545

This post may seem negative but I don't see the funding for billboards or a reward if someone comes forth with a tip that leads to Jenny.
I do hope whether thru billboards or other media he receives a tip that leads to Jenny.
Just thinking....they are interested in posting billboards because not everyone has social media but has he offered a reward via social media yet?

Sent from my SCH-I545

Apparently they have posted fliers with a reward. I'm not sure how much.

RF makes an excellent suggestion, immediately shot down by CN. He says that instead of paying for billboards that benefit the owner, use the money to print more fliers, offer a 15,000-25,000 peso reward for information leading to her recovery or location and smaller amounts for pieces of information. He suggests they use volunteers to plaster the target areas with them. He suggests places like 7-11, bus stops, churches.

His point is that at this point whoever did something to Jenny may get careless and let it slip. The reward could be an incentive to an ex-girlfriend, wife, friend, bartender, neighbor to snitch.

He includes details about how to go about this. CN essentially replies "Been there, done that" and that billboards cover more territory and have been successful in the past in Mexico.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hel...=637413936433654&comment_tracking={"tn":"R3"}

Googling around found an article stating that 99% of people who go missing in Mexico are never found. I don't see the point about the billboards. Sounds like an expensive method considering there are many miles of billboards to put up around that region and no one has any idea where she might be in that country. They could help a little, but I"m sure someone is going to find it unusual to find a single Asian woman in Mexico as opposed to blending in and being common in most all of the USA.

The husband doesn't seem to communicate well with his audience of people on FB. He comes across as acting unilaterally, such as stating that he's going to make the government/authorities/the beer company move on finding her and providing suspects. It appears there is a way to get things done in Mexico and you can't just do what you want and make justice go your way. It's a different kind of country, based on others' feedback.

I wonder what the end result will be? I don't see contact with the Corona driver (I could be wrong). Does he want more answers of what may have happened to Jenny or to try and locate what may be left of Jenny if she is no longer here...with us? I just don't see him ever getting the answers he desires. sad. I can't imagine where her parents are in dealing with all of this.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I think all that's mentioned is simply that a witness said they saw a truck driver pick up. There are no other details, such as who saw her before that and what did she say. Maybe the husband doesn't want to say too much.

Sorry for being behind, but wanted to comment on the commentary from this link on the 1st page of our 2nd thread (sad we are ON a 2nd thread...).
http://nwasianweekly.com/2016/07/co...pearance-and-the-medias-hierarchy-of-empathy/

An interesting read, but one of the problems I see in Jenny's case for not receiving greater attention in the media:

A case needs to capture the sympathy of a wide audience to have continued presence in the news. To that end, having unusual circumstances can do that, and this case certainly has that. But having a spokesperson who is capable in the media spotlight can be so invaluable. A case that comes to my mind is one I followed here on WS is that of the disappearance and murder of Michelle Le, a young nursing student (same age as Jenny!) who went missing in northern CA in 2011. She was raised by an aunt and uncle, as I recall, though they were scare in the media. She had a brother, but he was the younger brother who was shy and quiet--a bit awkward in public. Fortunately, a cousin who was like a sister to the missing woman stepped forward and took the commanding lead as a family spokesperson and liaison, alongside the brother. She was articulate, and had steadfast passion and focus. I really feel that if she were not there to speak for the family, this case would not have had as much attention as it had. Jenny's case needs that. I wish every case had someone like her championing for their missing loved one.

I do agree with the commentary piece in that if a victim is deemed "worthy", the media attention is greater. That seems hard to get away from. Harsh as it is, the job of the media is to sort through all that happens in the world and community and telling us what they think we want to know about. So the challenge then, is to make the victim in question "worthy". In the same case I mentioned above, yes, the victim was female and attractive, but she was not white, but of Vietnamese descent. In the above case, we learned how the victim's mother died from cancer when Michelle was just a teen, how she was on her way to following her mother in her footsteps by becoming a nurse, how she was looked up to by her brother, and tales of her being fun and silly with her cousin. In Jenny's case we have learned some details of Jenny's adventurous spirit, but not enough to endear her more in the public's hearts. Too many, I'm afraid, can't get past the idea of how unwise and risky it was for her to be traveling alone in Mexico, especially in the manner she did, hitchhiking and couchsurfing her way all across the country. What of her brother and family life growing up in China? Bringing out their qualities that would captivate the reader's attention and empathy through the stories showing slices of their lives can make such a difference in perception, and give a chance at garnering greater attention in the media.
Great post.

I would also think that part of people's hesitation with this case is that, no matter what they do, the odds of finding her are virtually zero. People don't want to get emotionally invested in a case where realistically no hope.

(This is not to say no one should try, of course)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...one-missing-in-mexicos-drugs-war-8884385.html

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...ns-in-Mexico-Stay-Missing--20150623-0009.html

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/26/world/americas/mexico-disappeared/

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/americas/mexico/report-mexico/

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/1...nvestigations-of-disappearances-in-mexico.htm

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So now he expects people to donate big money to pay for billboards, but he still doesn’t want to share details about the case.:facepalm:

The “criminal investigation” part is just bait he is throwing out to try and get more donations. It’s the same game he has been playing since the beginning of this case. He just keeps throwing the bait out to see what he catches. I think most people are starting to see through it, by now.

If he wants people to donate to his cause, he needs to be more transparent. If he's poor at communicating, someone close should say something to him. First, he flat out asked for $15,000 for ransom money, as if he knew this was the case. He may have read something online and said, yes, ask for $*advertiser censored* to be ready to hand over (but I doubt there's a fixed $$ of any kind). Now it's a criminal investigation and is not sharing info. And it's frustrating to a lot of people and creating trolls. They honestly feel that if you are going to make one sentence statements without any context, it's going to make people wonder. Without information, our imaginations will fill that gap. I guess we all wait with bated breath to find out what he said what he said about it now being a criminal investigation.

If he wants people to donate to his cause, he needs to be more transparent. If he's poor at communicating, someone close should say something to him. First, he flat out asked for $15,000 for ransom money, as if he knew this was the case. He may have read something online and said, yes, ask for $*advertiser censored* to be ready to hand over (but I doubt there's a fixed $$ of any kind). Now it's a criminal investigation and is not sharing info. And it's frustrating to a lot of people and creating trolls. They honestly feel that if you are going to make one sentence statements without any context, it's going to make people wonder. Without information, our imaginations will fill that gap. I guess we all wait with bated breath to find out what he said what he said about it now being a criminal investigation.

On the other hand, what if he is just an awkward guy who is doing his very best to find his wife, whom he loves? He must be absolutely sick with fear.
Is he making mistakes? Probably, but I haven't been in his shoes (thank heavens).
He is in a very bad situation, desperate, and doing the best he knows how.
I'm continuing to send good thoughts in his direction, and prayers to Jenny.
What a horrible situation.

The victim's family is OFF LIMITS to sleuthing.

Anyone not named by LE as a suspect or POI is OFF LIMITS to sleuthing.

Please do not sleuth the husband and post your findings here.

Thank you :)

Question.

Why doesn't he just force Corona to pay for the billboards for wasting his time.

Because he obviously was told by them that they will give him the drivers names. Remember.

He met up with the Corona executives and had a meeting and then he and the Corona executives flew to Oaxaca or somewhere and they talked more.

Then he left the next day with smiles because Corona promised to give the information in 24 to 48 hrs. Remember.

But then he says 2 weeks later that he still doesn't have the drivers information.

So wouldn't you hold Corona responsible for waisting your time with false promises. Jmo.

His 8k could have paid for several billboards by now and months ago.

Jmo. And the truck stops filled with fliers may be most effective. Especially if a trucker saw another trucker with Jenny. Jmo

I believe this is OK to post since it is from the official Find Jenny FB page and in JR's own words, explaining why he was arrested last night. Due to stress and depression he got very intoxicated and wandered into a place that gives back rubs. He said it turned out to be a place giving more than massages and was a police sting. He was rounded up with the others and taken to jail. No charges were filed. He is very embarrassed and apologetic and says it will not happen again. He wants to move forward in finding Jenny.

Sounds like he was drunk in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm just reporting this since some of us were aware of this earlier. I hope we can take the high road and cut JR some slack. It has nothing to do with Jenny, so personally, I'm not going to discuss it further. JMO

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/638271946347853/

Moving right along...

This is the billboard that will go up next week. Are billboards vertical in Mexico, rather than horizontal as they are in the U.S.?

JR says one is posted close to where Jenny was picked up.

The reward is almost $11,000 at today's exchange rates AFAIK. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

attachment.php

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/638356709672710/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 374
I believe this is OK to post since it is from the official Find Jenny FB page and in JR's own words, explaining why he was arrested last night. Due to stress and depression he got very intoxicated and wandered into a place that gives back rubs. He said it turned out to be a place giving more than massages and was a police sting. He was rounded up with the others and taken to jail. No charges were filed. He is very embarrassed and apologetic and says it will not happen again. He wants to move forward in finding Jenny.

Sounds like he was drunk in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm just reporting this since some of us were aware of this earlier. I hope we can take the high road and cut JR some slack. It has nothing to do with Jenny, so personally, I'm not going to discuss it further. JMO

:facepalm:

I don't buy this at all. Those places are known to be seedy.

You are probably right, that it hasn't anything to do with finding Jenny.
I didn't see a public intoxication charge. I wonder if they let him off the hook when they realized his wife is missing.

Lmao.

Where do you find these updates. Lol. So he got caught in a illegal massage palor. Lol.

He must have been there before to know where to stumble to. And those places are not cheap.

I would now like my go fund me refund thank you very much. Lol

I would love for the workers to tell us if he has been there before. Jmo.

Now it would be a very innocent thing if you wasn't raising money for your missing wife's search party at the time.

Ole Scott Peterson was also caught in extramarital affairs during the vigil of his wife. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa