Mexico Mexico - Las Muertas de Juárez *UNSOLVED*

Don't know if this has already been posted somewhere, but here are some hopefully useful links.

Interestingly enough, most of these sites also use the word femicide.

And if all these dead women were, instead, dead men, the world would be up in arms.

Amigos de Mujeres
http://www.amigosdemujeres.org/

Amnesty International
http://www.amnestyusa.org/violence-...hihuahua/page.do?id=1108394&n1=3&n2=39&n3=732

NOW
http://www.now.org/issues/global/juarez/

and

LibertadLatina.org (some cases notes here)
http://www.libertadlatina.org/Crisis_Lat_Mexico_Juarez_Femicide.htm

casa amiga crisis center
http://www.casa-amiga.org/Presentation.html

justicia para nuestras hijas (spanish only, i think)
http://www.geocities.com/jpnh123/

mujeres de negro (spanish only)
http://www.mujeresdenegro.org/

and an article on the women in black
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conte...1;jsessionid=6i17ch2nli1tc.alice?format=print

mujeres por juarez

petition to endthe violence
http://www.petitiononline.com/JUAREZ/petition.html

The Juarez Project
http://thejuarezproject.com/

Washington Office on Latin America
http://www.wola.org/index.php?&opti...t+Women⊂=1&content_topic=Juarez+Murders

Just saw this Anne! Thank you so much! Going through the links now, should be lots of fodder for discussion.

City Of Dead Girls

They call Ciudad Juarez “the serial killers’ playground”. In the past decade, over 500 women have been murdered. Most were abducted, raped and tortured before they were killed. So many women have died that a new word has been invented to describe what is happening here – ‘femicidios’, the murder of women. But despite the international outcry, the killings have continued. There are even claims the police are protecting the girls’ murderers. What has made Ciudad Juarez so dangerous for women? This documentary investigates.

The city of Ciudad Juarez is littered with pink crosses. They come in all shapes and sizes, scrawled on walls and electricity pylons, in petrol stations and bus stops. Every so often, you come across a tatty ‘Missing’ poster, pleading for information about another vanished girl. But the residents pay them scant attention. After so many killings, they’re immune to the sight.“She was 17 years old. She had all the hopes of youth. And someone came and cut her dreams short,” laments Benita Morares, mourning her murdered daughter. Maria Sagrario was also 17 when she was raped and murdered. One of her breasts was cut off and her ovaries removed. “These people have no conscience. They are not human,” states her mother.The authorities pinned the murders on two poor bus drivers, Victor Garcia Uribe and his friend, ‘Seal’. But they have always maintained their innocence. From his prison cell in Juarez, Uribe describes what happened. Police dragged him from his car, threatened to kill his family and drove him to a private house, where he was tortured. “They told me to say I had killed the women. They started putting out cigarettes on my penis and giving me electric shocks.” Then reports emerged that the police coroner, Castro Valles, resigned after being asked to plant fabricated evidence. “The order to fabricate evidence was delivered orally. That’s why nothing can be proved”, he states. The prison doctor confirmed both men had been severely tortured and reporters began looking for the house. They traced it to a property owned by the police commissioner.With pressure growing, the government sent two officials to Ciudad Juarez to examine the police investigation. “We found 81 infractions committed by state officials”, recalls prosecutor Maria Lopez Urbina. “On one occasion, an employee lit a fire to warm himself using case files for tinder.” So many mistakes have been made and so much evidence destroyed that people believe the police are protecting the real killers.“It’s not that the police can’t solve this problem. It’s that they don’t want to”, claims one victim’s mother. Ciudad Juarez is home to the world’s second largest drugs cartel. “In this city, most respectable citizens with economic power are involved in the drugs trade”, states Norma Andrade. Lawyer Dante Almaraz agrees. “The local government is up to the neck in commitments to the drug barons. And the federal government has agreed to give them a wide berth, even in these circumstances.” The police of Juarez are known to have worked as hired killers for the cartels before. As the government’s own investigator asked: “Can we really expect that these people will actually investigate the cases?”

Thanks blaize.

I'm thinking I should email some of these groups to see what kind of resources they can provide us with?

City Of Dead Girls

They call Ciudad Juarez “the serial killers’ playground”. In the past decade, over 500 women have been murdered. Most were abducted, raped and tortured before they were killed. So many women have died that a new word has been invented to describe what is happening here – ‘femicidios’, the murder of women. But despite the international outcry, the killings have continued. There are even claims the police are protecting the girls’ murderers. What has made Ciudad Juarez so dangerous for women? This documentary investigates.

The city of Ciudad Juarez is littered with pink crosses. They come in all shapes and sizes, scrawled on walls and electricity pylons, in petrol stations and bus stops. Every so often, you come across a tatty ‘Missing’ poster, pleading for information about another vanished girl. But the residents pay them scant attention. After so many killings, they’re immune to the sight.“She was 17 years old. She had all the hopes of youth. And someone came and cut her dreams short,” laments Benita Morares, mourning her murdered daughter. Maria Sagrario was also 17 when she was raped and murdered. One of her breasts was cut off and her ovaries removed. “These people have no conscience. They are not human,” states her mother.The authorities pinned the murders on two poor bus drivers, Victor Garcia Uribe and his friend, ‘Seal’. But they have always maintained their innocence. From his prison cell in Juarez, Uribe describes what happened. Police dragged him from his car, threatened to kill his family and drove him to a private house, where he was tortured. “They told me to say I had killed the women. They started putting out cigarettes on my penis and giving me electric shocks.” Then reports emerged that the police coroner, Castro Valles, resigned after being asked to plant fabricated evidence. “The order to fabricate evidence was delivered orally. That’s why nothing can be proved”, he states. The prison doctor confirmed both men had been severely tortured and reporters began looking for the house. They traced it to a property owned by the police commissioner.With pressure growing, the government sent two officials to Ciudad Juarez to examine the police investigation. “We found 81 infractions committed by state officials”, recalls prosecutor Maria Lopez Urbina. “On one occasion, an employee lit a fire to warm himself using case files for tinder.” So many mistakes have been made and so much evidence destroyed that people believe the police are protecting the real killers.“It’s not that the police can’t solve this problem. It’s that they don’t want to”, claims one victim’s mother. Ciudad Juarez is home to the world’s second largest drugs cartel. “In this city, most respectable citizens with economic power are involved in the drugs trade”, states Norma Andrade. Lawyer Dante Almaraz agrees. “The local government is up to the neck in commitments to the drug barons. And the federal government has agreed to give them a wide berth, even in these circumstances.” The police of Juarez are known to have worked as hired killers for the cartels before. As the government’s own investigator asked: “Can we really expect that these people will actually investigate the cases?”

When Absinthe and I first talked about this case, or the cases depending on your perspective, the first thing that struck me was the amount of hopelessness the investigation is mired in. The idea that the crimes are one big Juggernaut unable to be stopped, and that women will continue to be swallowed up and spit out in pieces until there are none left to "feed the beast." The people of the city sometimes will not id their own loved ones-they do not want to draw attention to themselves in any way, and it is clear to me that there is no appetite for solving any of the cases. There seems to be deliberate mishandling of whatever evidence exists.

I remember the old argument when it comes to criminalizing prostitution (you know that "victimeless" crime)- Why should we assign a group of women the responsibility of handling the aberrant sexual appetites of the minority? This argument holds true for Juarez-why should this slaughter be allowed to continue under our very noses, in an area that is financed in large part by the corporations from the US who have moved plant operations out of the states? It boggles my mind....

That part really does stand out, that the LE agencies involved seem almost not to care as long as they give lip service to the party line that they've caught some of the perpetrators.

It's desperately sad that some of the women lie unclaimed because their families are terrified of retaliation.

When Absinthe and I first talked about this case, or the cases depending on your perspective, the first thing that struck me was the amount of hopelessness the investigation is mired in. The idea that the crimes are one big Juggernaut unable to be stopped, and that women will continue to be swallowed up and spit out in pieces until there are none left to "feed the beast." The people of the city sometimes will not id their own loved ones-they do not want to draw attention to themselves in any way, and it is clear to me that there is no appetite for solving any of the cases. There seems to be deliberate mishandling of whatever evidence exists.

I remember the old argument when it comes to criminalizing prostitution (you know that "victimeless" crime)- Why should we assign a group of women the responsibility of handling the aberrant sexual appetites of the minority? This argument holds true for Juarez-why should this slaughter be allowed to continue under our very noses, in an area that is financed in large part by the corporations from the US who have moved plant operations out of the states? It boggles my mind....

Note, head found near Mexican newspaper
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...NED?SITE=CADIU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT#
VILLAHERMOSA, Mexico (AP) -- A note threatening a Mexican journalist was found outside the office of a newspaper in southern Mexico on Monday, two days after someone left a severed head there.
Tabasco state Attorney General Gustavo Rosario said the letter was directed at Juan Padilla, editor of El Correo de Tabasco, which recently carried reports about migrant smuggling and kidnapping in the area.
"You are next," the note read.
The head of a man police identified as a low-level drug trafficker was found outside the offices on Saturday. Soldiers later located his body in another part of the city alongside a separate note that said, "This is what will happen to those who go around pointing fingers."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ENED?SITE=CADIU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Very charming ... not. In any other country that would be like a slap in the face to the local LE, but apparently not in this case.

Note, head found near Mexican newspaper

VILLAHERMOSA, Mexico (AP) -- A note threatening a Mexican journalist was found outside the office of a newspaper in southern Mexico on Monday, two days after someone left a severed head there.
Tabasco state Attorney General Gustavo Rosario said the letter was directed at Juan Padilla, editor of El Correo de Tabasco, which recently carried reports about migrant smuggling and kidnapping in the area.
"You are next," the note read.
The head of a man police identified as a low-level drug trafficker was found outside the offices on Saturday. Soldiers later located his body in another part of the city alongside a separate note that said, "This is what will happen to those who go around pointing fingers."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ENED?SITE=CADIU&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Absolutely fascinating. And it really goes into one of the many reasons why these killings continue....the policia themselves. It also seems to confirm my own opinion that there's different people doing these for different reasons...though I don't buy the organ theory much.

http://www.vday.org/static/download/juarez_mc0304.pdf

Eve Ensler's website has a link to an article in Marie Claire which provides an in-depth look at the situation in Juarez. Interesting and informative read.

Interesting read, thank you.

After reading The Killing Fields: Harvest Of Women, it is clear as to who is behind the Juarez, Mexico femicide. I'm not sure how many of you have read the book by Diana Washington Valdez, who's blog is mentioned in this topic. I'll sum it up short.

It all started with a pact that was held at the home of a Chihuahua state politician. In paticular, a former Mexican president, a general, a high-ranking police official, several federal judges, a bishop and several Colombian man.

The purpose of this meeting was to tell that Chihuahua, Mexico had been sold to the Colombian drug cartels. A list was passed around that had the names of people who law enforcement could not interfere with. The list included drug traffickers, powerful families and powerful men who were implicated in the Juarez Femicides.

Regarding the Juarez Femicides, the murders were mainly committed by serial killers, gangs, drug dealers, a group of powerful young men named the "Juniors" and copycats. As of 2006, none are in custody and are probably still alive. The many well-known suspects that confessed to the crimes were all innocent and had nothing to do with the killings.

At least two of the still-missing women as of 2006 were apparently sold into sex trafficking. A computer school chain which at the time was called "ECCO" was involved in several of the cases.

Many of the murdered women were at a store when they were approached by young people asking for personal information for the ECCO school. Somehow the girls are contacted and directed to a restaurant. Once inside they are tied up and taken by a member of the Juarez Drug Cartel. Other murdered women either attended the ECCO computer school or where approached by representives before their disappearences.

The cases spread to Chihuahua City, the capital of the state of Chihuahua in 1999. That was the same year that the Juarez Drug Cartel moved to the city in order to arouse less suspicion by American Law Enforcement.

Oh and as of around 2004, the killers are now dismembering the girls after killing them and feeding their remains to hogs. This is just like Robert Pickton did.

The book was done in 2006. Since 2008, many more women disappear in Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua City each year than usual. Many believe that these new dissappearences are mainly committed by sex traffickers. The MO of abduction is the same as the original serial killings because they were abducted from the downtown section of Ciudad Juarez.

Despite the fact the Mexican Drug War that has torn Chihuahua state apart is a much more pressing issue then the previous femicides, action must still be taken. People with cruical information could be assissinated by the drug gangs at any time.

There is more information to be told from that book and also regarding a fugitive wanted out of Chicago who I have been investigating his possible involvement in these crimes for two years now. None of the information I've determined has been publicly confirmed by any law enforcement agency, however it's also an interesting read.

Oh one more thing for now. No one has ever determined what happened to escaped serial killer Pedro Padilla Flores. Flores sexually murdered (raped and murdered) two women and a 13-year old girl in 1986 down in Ciudad Juarez. He was captured but escaped from a Chihuahua Rehabilitation Center in 1991. Regarding some of the 1990's homicides, one could deduct that Flores committed some of those.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_20558432/discovery-puts-slayings-women-spotlight

JUAREZ -- There was not a single day in two and a half years when Elvira González didn't ask God to find her daughter Perla Ivonne Aguirre alive.
Now, González prays for the ability to accept what happened to her daughter and move on.
The skeletal remains of Perla Ivonne were found earlier this year in the Valley of Juárez, along with those of 11 other young women, in what appears to be the latest -- and largest -- dumping ground for slain women in the region.
Two weeks ago, González received the remains of her daughter, who went missing on July 21, 2009, at age 15. González buried Perla Ivonne with all the stuffed animals the girl had collected.
"There are mothers that are being consumed, that are sick

Continued in link provided.

While this article doesn't mention the murders, I would guess that it is an added complication.

Mexican Crime Reporters Risk Becoming The Story

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, more than 45 journalists have been killed or disappeared in Mexico since 2006. Some press advocacy organizations put the number much higher. They are among the many victims in an organized crime free-for-all that has killed more than 50,000 Mexicans in that time period.
http://www.npr.org/2012/05/09/152337896/mexican-crime-reporters-risk-becoming-the-story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back