MI - 3-year-old left behind after his own birthday party; parents realize days later

Can someone clarify for me just where the little boy was while his parents went blithely on with their lives. I've read that he was noticed quite quickly and authorities called and other reports state that he spent "days" at the pizza parlor. Which is it?

He was placed in foster care.

Did anyone contact news outlets to say we found a 3 year old and we need to know his identity? It's almost like the kid was found, placed into foster care and no effort was made to located his parents. The police could have looked at surveillance video from the restaurant and then put out images of the parents on the news. Don't get me wrong, the parents are to blame here, but something doesn't add up, IMO.

Last Updated: March 22. 2010 12:41PM
Parents fight to regain toddler left at restaurant

A Warren couple accused of leaving their toddler son at a Caesarland restaurant after his birthday party insisted today the ordeal has been a misunderstanding and they'll do whatever it takes to get the boy back.

snip

"I want to clear my name, and I want my son back," Dion Johnson said as he exited Warren police headquarters. "We miss him a great deal."

Relatives claimed today that they did not discover the boy was missing until Monday. That's when they say the boy's mother called Caesarland and the father went up to the restaurant.

snip

Authorities say they both claimed the child's great-grandmother took him to the party, and they "assumed she was taking him home."

The parents told police that up until the day after the party, each thought the other had the child or that he could be with the great-grandmother who resides in Detroit.

But police today said they now believe the family knew as early as Saturday night that the child wasn't accounted for.

"It did come up Saturday night," Warren Police Detective John Pierce said. "All indications are the people responsible for the child dropped the ball."

http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...ts-fight-to-regain-toddler-left-at-restaurant

Warren parents accused of leaving child at Caeserland fight to clear name, regain custody

March 22, 2010, 2:11PM

While relatives said the couple did not discover the boy was missing until Monday, Warren Police Commissioner William Dwyer last week told C&G News the mother realized the situation Sunday but never contacted police.

“The mother had apparently called the father Sunday and asked if he had the 3-year-old. He said, ‘I don’t have him.’ She calls the grandmother and she said she didn’t have him,” Dwyer told C & G News. “She does nothing.”

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/03/warren_parents_accused_of_leav.html

Warren parents accused of leaving child at Caeserland fight to clear name, regain custody

March 22, 2010, 2:11PM

While relatives said the couple did not discover the boy was missing until Monday, Warren Police Commissioner William Dwyer last week told C&G News the mother realized the situation Sunday but never contacted police.

“The mother had apparently called the father Sunday and asked if he had the 3-year-old. He said, ‘I don’t have him.’ She calls the grandmother and she said she didn’t have him,” Dwyer told C & G News. “She does nothing.”

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/03/warren_parents_accused_of_leav.html

This makes me sick...and why do I have a feeling that "clearing his name" is more important than getting his baby back ??

This makes me sick...and why do I have a feeling that "clearing his name" is more important than getting his baby back ??

At the end of the day that just means all three of them knew he was missing and no one called the police. To me that clears no one's name.

They better not get this boy back. At least not until they have some sense knocked into them. They're damn lucky that a responsible employee came across him before a predator. "Next time" they might not be so lucky.

Oh wtf ever u just don't forget your child for 2 days. .its BS. ..

And these are grown parents, not unwed teens.

I can't believe the excuses that people are making for them in the comment section. Maybe the child was "in the bathroom" when the parents left? A three year old? I'm scared for our country, I really am.

I bet if they left their purse or wallet they would have gone back immediately. Let's remember, these are not parents. They are breeders. There is a difference.

Once my mom was late picking me up at the dermotologist's office. They were ready to close and she still wasn't there. I called my house and my mom answered. I started to cry because I knew at that point she had forgotten me. We lived about 40 minutes away. I was scared, embarrassed, and hurt that she just dropped me off and ran her errands and went home. I was 12 then and I'm 39 now. It still bothers me. I know she would have realized it at some point and I know she felt terrible about it. But it is something I will never forget. Thank God this little fellow is too young to realize what his parents did.

I just can't wrap my head around THREE relatives cooperatively, knowingly neglecting to follow up on this little boy's whereabouts. I know the Commissioner is the one who gave the media the timeline that leads us all to believe the parents' actions were criminal, but I just can't accept it just yet.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can definitely see how a misunderstanding in this situation is possible, as horrible as it is. It's possible, and if it were just a misunderstanding, I don't know if jail time would be appropriate. Parenting classes? Counseling? Yes. A "memorable" fine? Yes. But jail and/or taking the child away? Hmm....

Then again...if it's true that the mother, father, and grandmother were all aware the boy was missing and truly failed to take action...well...that is neglect, and I feel they should face the consequences, just like anyone else would have to.

I just can't wrap my head around THREE relatives cooperatively, knowingly neglecting to follow up on this little boy's whereabouts. I know the Commissioner is the one who gave the media the timeline that leads us all to believe the parents' actions were criminal, but I just can't accept it just yet.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can definitely see how a misunderstanding in this situation is possible, as horrible as it is. It's possible, and if it were just a misunderstanding, I don't know if jail time would be appropriate. Parenting classes? Counseling? Yes. A "memorable" fine? Yes. But jail and/or taking the child away? Hmm....

Then again...if it's true that the mother, father, and grandmother were all aware the boy was missing and truly failed to take action...well...that is neglect, and I feel they should face the consequences, just like anyone else would have to.

I am willing to look at all points of view, and actually enjoy be challenged to look at different aspects. I mention that so you know I'm asking this sincerely. What possible scenario is there that would explain how there could be a misunderstanding for a number of days about where your child is? I can understand short term, even a day (although that's pushing it). I have difficulty with the length of time in this case.

I am willing to look at all points of view, and actually enjoy be challenged to look at different aspects. I mention that so you know I'm asking this sincerely. What possible scenario is there that would explain how there could be a misunderstanding for a number of days about where your child is? I can understand short term, even a day (although that's pushing it). I have difficulty with the length of time in this case.

:) I enjoy that kind of challenge, too.

I think the scenario could be possible over the duration of a number of days (what was the maximum here? Three?) if the parental figures involved are all normally trustworthy, responsible people. I haven't discounted the possibility yet because none of them have prior records.

It's not that far of a stretch for me to believe (in the possibility) because my ex and I were very secure with each other in our custody arrangement. We lived in close proximity, but I didn't feel compelled to call them every night to "check up" or "check in" on them. I knew my son was safe and they were having a good time doing whatever.

Could it be possible all three of these people trusted each other in the same way, so there might have been no red flags?

Now, this possibility would only hold if they hadn't contacted each other and figured out the kid was unaccounted for, as the Commissioner reported. If they all knew, then naturally...there's no excuse for not following up.

:) I enjoy that kind of challenge, too.

I think the scenario could be possible over the duration of a number of days (what was the maximum here? Three?) if the parental figures involved are all normally trustworthy, responsible people. I haven't discounted the possibility yet because none of them have prior records.

It's not that far of a stretch for me to believe (in the possibility) because my ex and I were very secure with each other in our custody arrangement. We lived in close proximity, but I didn't feel compelled to call them every night to "check up" or "check in" on them. I knew my son was safe and they were having a good time doing whatever.

Could it be possible all three of these people trusted each other in the same way, so there might have been no red flags?

Now, this possibility would only hold if they hadn't contacted each other and figured out the kid was unaccounted for, as the Commissioner reported. If they all knew, then naturally...there's no excuse for not following up.

Okay, makes sense. My question is, if you and your ex were both at a party for your child, would either of you have left without saying goodbye to your child and your ex? If either parent had done something that simple, the mistake would have been realized. I.e. Your ex says goodbye to the child and to you (your child is in another area). You believe your ex is supposed to be taking the child. Wouldn't you have wanted to say goodbye to your child? If you did so, you would have realized he wasn't leaving with your ex. Make sense? (The scenario works so much better in my head, trying to figure out how to word it isn't working on a Friday afternoon!)

Okay, makes sense. My question is, if you and your ex were both at a party for your child, would either of you have left without saying goodbye to your child and your ex? If either parent had done something that simple, the mistake would have been realized. I.e. Your ex says goodbye to the child and to you (your child is in another area). You believe your ex is supposed to be taking the child. Wouldn't you have wanted to say goodbye to your child? If you did so, you would have realized he wasn't leaving with your ex. Make sense? (The scenario works so much better in my head, trying to figure out how to word it isn't working on a Friday afternoon!)

I think most people would make sure to say goodbye before parting ways. But I can also see confusion easily taking over, especially if the dispersing party is chaotic.

At our family get-togethers, "goodbye" is the most chaotic time, and it usually isn't a cut-and-dried "goodbye-I-love-you-kisses-and-hugs," but a lingering, mixing, yakking, edging movement of an entire group toward the door. A lot of times, our kids will decide to go with another family member at the last minute, but the group may hang out for a few minutes after permission...and then sometimes the kids or the adults change their minds, etc., etc..

I'm not trying to stretch for an excuse for this family -- It's just easy for me to envision chaos and confusion leading to a misunderstanding.

if none of you know where your kid is for 72 hours your either drunk, high, apathetic, or too stupid to be a parent.
jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back