GUILTY MI - April Millsap, 14, Armada, 24 July 2014 #2

Both VanCallis' - father and son - appeared in court today. JVC's attorney expects additional charges against his client in the murder of April Millsap.

Man's attorney expects charges soon in April Millsap murder case

James Vancallis Jr. being held on unrelated drug charges

Author: Hank Winchester, Local 4 Reporter, @HankLocal4

ARMADA, Mich. -
Defender cameras were rolling as James Vancallis Jr. was led into court on Monday.

Vancallis has been named the only person of interest in the murder of 14-year-old April Millsap. He has been locked up on unrelated drug charges and now for this first time his attorney says he expects murder charges to come down any day now.

"I do anticipate charges in this case ... it's speculative at this point but we would think that since the investigation is nearing its end that the charges could be on the horizon," said attorney Dean Ankouny...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...es-soon-in-april-millsap-murder-case/28192024

The attorney for James VanCallis Jr., the sole person of interest in the April Millsap murder investigation, says he is “anticipating” murder charges to come as early as this week.

Attorney Dean Ankouny tells 7 Action News he believes the investigation into his client came to a close "at the end of last week.”

7 Action News was first to report last week, April Millsap’s belongings were found during a search near the trail where the 14 year old was killed. Police had been looking for additional items to wrap up their case and file charges.

Today, VanCallis Jr. appeared in court in St. Clair County where he is being held on unrelated drug charges.

A pretrial hearing for that case has been set for late October.

Ankouny says his law firm has been conducting its own investigation into the murder, in an effort to clear his client’s name.

He says he has found things “of value”, just as the police have, in their investigation.

Ankouny says his client has not spoken with police since he was named a person of interest, however he claims he was cooperative before that.

He also says VanCallis Jr. “Maintains he has nothing {to do with the murder}.”

“We feel April Millsap’s killer is still out there,” says Ankouny. “Police have come down on the wrong person.”

http://www.wxyz.com/news/attorney-anticipating-charges-in-millsap-case

Attorney: "Anticipating" charges in Millsap case

By: Jonathan Carlson

Posted: 4:41 PM, Sep 22, 2014

Updated: 8 mins ago

The attorney for James VanCallis Jr., the sole person of interest in the April Millsap murder investigation, says he is “anticipating” murder charges to come as early as this week.

Attorney Dean Ankouny tells 7 Action News he believes the investigation into his client came to a close "at the end of last week.” ...

...Ankouny says his law firm has been conducting its own investigation into the murder, in an effort to clear his client’s name.

He says he has found things “of value”, just as the police have, in their investigation...

http://www.wxyz.com/news/attorney-anticipating-charges-in-millsap-case

So things should get more clear in this case very soon if Vancallis attorney is correct and charges are coming. maybe that will go some ways in dispelling some of the confusion cause by reporting variances as to what was found where and when and best of all, what it all means.

Hoping and :praying: that LE has their man and that there will be Justice for April.

So things should get more clear in this case very soon if Vancallis attorney is correct and charges are coming. maybe that will go some ways in dispelling some of the confusion cause by reporting variances as to what was found where and when and best of all, what it all means.

I'm so glad that the investigation is about to wrap up and that charges will soon be brought against the perpetrator of this horrific crime.

I predict things are about to get crazy in this case around here. There seems to be more of a divide more recently as to who they think is responsible (poi or someone unnamed). I'm honestly not sure where I stand. Hoping there is solid evidence regarding poi but I've seen/read of too many wrongful convictions to assume it's that open and shut. Reserving my theory until I can see evidence presented by prosecutors and his lawyers. A few people close to the case gave me a bad vibe but have already been cleared. Just gonna see how this goes before making up my mind. Too much left untold as of yet.

I agree, we don't know enough yet to pick apart the evidence and decide where we land on the POI or another or the two in cahoots being the perp(s).

Waiting anxiously to see what LE has.

Even though I've followed this case closely from the beginning, I feel like I don't have anywhere near as much information as in other cases, nor do I have any theories about what actually happened or who was involved. I have absolutely no idea what the motive might have been for someone to murder a 14-year-old girl who was walking her dog. I hope there's a news conference from LE that will provide all the details, and I hope I know in advance so I can watch it live.

Even though I've followed this case closely from the beginning, I feel like I don't have anywhere near as much information as in other cases, nor do I have any theories about what actually happened or who was involved. I have absolutely no idea what the motive might have been for someone to murder a 14-year-old girl who was walking her dog. I hope there's a news conference from LE that will provide all the details, and I hope I know in advance so I can watch it live.

I feel the same way....just having some information would help. I understand the reasoning in regard to keeping everything out of the public eye via news reporting etc....but I'm almost giddy awaiting information. I'm a true crime addict, no fighting it lol!

Nope can't come up with anything that fits, not for the area this happened in. It just feels to me that this had to be a sexual attack that went really bad. Despite my love for true crime, I'm often shocked at the what, why and who,
so it could be anything, and it's driving me nuts not knowing.

Nope can't come up with anything that fits, not for the area this happened in. It just feels to me that this had to be a sexual attack that went really bad. Despite my love for true crime, I'm often shocked at the what, why and who,
so it could be anything, and it's driving me nuts not knowing.

I'm more inclined to think that April saw something that she knew was wrong (i.e. drug dealing), and the perp/perps thought that the teen would report him/them to authorities. Major CYA required. April might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. :moo:

I've been thinking LE had a talk with his father and told him if you help us we can help you with your growhouse charge. If I read correctly before his name is on the deed. They could take his home if he was convicted. I think thats why they got the 2nd search warrant and searched the neighbors property. The father could have known he liked young girls. I also don't think it was a drug deal. He lived in that huge house with a lot of other people on a large piece of property and unless people were coming and going all the time no one would have noticed someone stopping by for a visit. I wonder if he was on the trail on his bike and went past her close and fast and it scared her and she yelled she was calling the cops and had her phone out. I had that happen to me once in a neighborhood I lived in. 2 teenage brothers had small motorcycles and would do it on purpose. It happened so fast I didn't even know what color the bike was. These are just some of my thoughts

I've been thinking LE had a talk with his father and told him if you help us we can help you with your growhouse charge. If I read correctly before his name is on the deed. They could take his home if he was convicted. I think thats why they got the 2nd search warrant and searched the neighbors property. The father could have known he liked young girls. I also don't think it was a drug deal. He lived in that huge house with a lot of other people on a large piece of property and unless people were coming and going all the time no one would have noticed someone stopping by for a visit. I wonder if he was on the trail on his bike and went past her close and fast and it scared her and she yelled she was calling the cops and had her phone out. I had that happen to me once in a neighborhood I lived in. 2 teenage brothers had small motorcycles and would do it on purpose. It happened so fast I didn't even know what color the bike was. These are just some of my thoughts

IF this turns out to be a drug deal that went awry, it's just as likely for the perp to have met someone along the trail to "conduct business" if a buyer didn't want to risk being seen at the VanCallis' home. As I've said previously, I'm not tied to any particular theory in this case, but piecing together what is known about the POI and his father, a drug connection is definitely within the realm of possibility. :moo:

Lawyer: Client likely to be charged in Armada killing

Ursula Watson, The Detroit News 8:14 p.m. EDT September 22, 2014

Port Huron – The attorney for a 32-year-old man police call “a person of interest” in the murder of an Armada teen said Monday he expects charges soon will be filed against his client.

“It is purely speculative on my part; however, it has been a very long time and we feel that the investigation is coming to an end,” said Dean Ankouny, attorney for James Donald VanCallis.

In August police highlighted their interest in VanCallis in the investigation of the July murder of 14-year-old April Millsap...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...9/22/millsap-murder-person-interest/16078323/

are there rules about RSOs associating with one another I wonder? Following the track of someone wanted to meet up with the POI but not at the house.

WWJ radio (CBS, Detroit) is reporting that charges in the murder of April Millsap could come today. No update on the website yet, but I'll keep checking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back