MI MI - Brittney Beers, 6, Sturgis, 16 Sept 1997

Brittney Ann Beers
  • brittney_ann_beers_1.jpg
  • brittney_ann_beers_2.jpg
  • brittney_ann_beers_3.jpg
  • brittney_ann_beers_4.jpg
Brittney, circa 1997; Age-progression at age 25 (circa 2016)

• Missing Since 09/16/1997
  • Missing From Sturgis, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/01/1991 (28)
  • Age 6 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'0, 45 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white tank top or t-shirt with a floral design, pink tie-dyed shorts and white sneakers with a pink design on the sides. Her shoelaces had a red stripe down the center.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Brittney was missing her four upper baby teeth at the time of her 1997 disappearance. She often wore her hair pulled back into a ponytail.
Details of Disappearance
Brittney was playing outside of her family's residence at Village Manor Apartments during the evening hours of September 16, 1997. She went outside to ride her bicycle at approximately 7:30 p.m. Brittney's mother, Tina Stetler, left to run errands at approximately 8:30 p.m. and saw her daughter riding her bicycle around the neighborhood at that time.

Brittney's half-brother told authorities he saw his sister sitting on a bench about five minutes after their mother departed. A witness told investigators that he saw Brittney speaking to an unidentified male driving a red or brown mid-size vehicle shortly thereafter. Brittney walked over to the witness and told him that she "made a new friend." Brittney has never been seen again.

Stetler returned home at approximately 9:05 p.m. and asked Brittney's brother to find her. The authorities were summoned when the child could not be located near the apartment complex, which is located on U.S. 12, the major thoroughfare through Sturgis. Brittney's bicycle was discovered abandoned shortly after she was last seen.

Sketches of the unidentified man seen speaking to Brittney were distributed through the area in the days following her disappearance. It is not known if the man is connected to her case. He was in his late twenties or early thirties with short dark hair and a thick mustache and was driving either a mid-sized red car or a brown Renault. Police are still looking for the man; he is not being called a suspect, but a witness whom they would like to question.

Michigan courts removed Brittney's older brother and younger sister from the family's home in 1998 after allegations of child physical and sexual abuse and neglect were issued. Brittney's father, Raymond Beers; his brother, James Beers; and Kevin Folsom, the father of one of her half-brothers, were allegedly involved in the abuse of the children. Folsom was imprisoned for molesting Brittney, but he was released in 2008.

Brittney's case received more publicity in 2000 after the arrest of a St. Clair Shores, Michigan man who had images of child *advertiser censored* saved on his computer. One of the victims resembled Brittney, but was later determined not to be the missing girl.

Brittney's case remains open and unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Sturgis Police Department 269-651-3231
Source Information

I remember this like it was yesterday. I am 33 now and this case caught my attention because of the similarity of her name to Brittney Spears and the fact that this is only about 45 minutes from me. So sad that it hasn't been solved.

Brittney's half-brother told authorities he saw his sister sitting on a bench about five minutes after their mother departed. A witness told investigators that he saw Brittney speaking to an unidentified male driving a red or brown mid-size vehicle shortly thereafter. Brittney walked over to the witness and told him that she "made a new friend." Brittney has never been seen again.

Brittney’s case is just absolutely heart crushing. She looks so sad in all her photos, and reading her case, it’s not hard to understand why. The fact that family members were involved in harming and abusing her obviously makes me suspicious of them, but I feel Daniel Furlong is a more viable suspect. He was known to be in the area, and known to approach young girls like Brittney; could he be the “new friend” little Brittney told the witness about?

Bumping for Brittney. She deserves justice.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail.jpg Thumbnail (1).jpg
Brittney (ca. 1997)

Thumbnail (2).jpg
Brittney, age-progression to 25-years-old (ca. 2017)

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5838
Brittney Ann Beers
Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact:
September 16, 1997
Missing From:
Sturgis, Michigan

NCMEC Number: 837981

Missing Age: 6 Years
Current Age: 30 Years
Height: 4' 0" (48 Inches)
Weight: 45 lbs

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Brittney was last seen playing outside of the Village Manor Apartment complex in Sturgis, Michigan on the evening of September 16, 1997. She was last seen wearing a white tank top shirt with a possible floral design, bright pink or "hot pink" shorts and white tennis shoes with a pink design on the side. When she was last seen, her four front teeth were missing.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry
Eye Color: Blue

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing: White tank top, pink shorts
Footwear: White tennis shoes with pink design on the side

ETA: I have requested correction to the spelling of Brittney's name in the title of this thread.

poor thing baby that disgusting old man maybe he made him ... kisses to heaven for you little britney

Wow no concerns and who when and where huh weird just take it down
What is wrong with you people

Brittney Ann Beers​

brittney_ann_beers_1.jpg
brittney_ann_beers_2.jpg
brittney_ann_beers_3.jpg

Brittney, circa 1997
  • Missing Since 09/16/1997
  • Missing From Sturgis, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/01/1991 (31)
  • Age 6 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'0, 45 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white tank top or t-shirt with a floral design, pink tie-dyed shorts and white sneakers with a pink design on the sides. Her shoelaces had a red stripe down the center.
  • Associated Vehicle(s) Mid-sized red car or a brown Renault
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Brittney was missing her four upper baby teeth at the time of her 1997 disappearance. She often wore her hair pulled back into a ponytail.

Details of Disappearance​

Brittney was playing outside of her family's residence at Village Manor Apartments during the evening hours of September 16, 1997. She went outside to ride her bicycle at approximately 7:30 p.m. Brittney's mother, Tina Stetler, left to run errands at approximately 8:30 p.m. and saw her daughter riding her bicycle around the neighborhood at that time.

Stetler returned home at approximately 9:05 p.m. and asked Brittney's brother to find her. The authorities were summoned when the child could not be located near the apartment complex, which is located on U.S. 12, the major thoroughfare through Sturgis. Brittney's bicycle was discovered abandoned shortly after she was last seen.

Sketches of the unidentified man seen speaking to Brittney were distributed through the area in the days following her disappearance. One of the sketches is posted with this case summary. It is not known if the man is connected to her case. He was in his late twenties or early thirties with short dark hair and a thick mustache and was driving either a mid-sized red car or a brown Renault. Police are still looking for the man; he is not being called a suspect, but a witness whom they would like to question.

Michigan courts removed Brittney's older brother and younger sister from the family's home in 1998 after allegations of child physical and sexual abuse and neglect were issued. Brittney's father, Raymond Beers; his brother, James Beers; and Kevin Folsom, the father of one of her half-brothers, were allegedly involved in the abuse of the children. Folsom was imprisoned for molesting Brittney, but he was released in 2008.

Brittney's case received more publicity in 2000 after the arrest of a St. Clair Shores, Michigan man who had images of child sexual abuse saved on his computer. One of the victims resembled Brittney, but was later determined not to be the missing girl.

In 2015, police named Daniel Furlong as a person of interest in Brittney's abduction. He abducted, sexually assaulted and strangled an eleven-year-old girl, Jodi Parrack, in 2007. The murder was not solved until 2015, after Furlong abducted a ten-year-old girl who subsequently escaped from him. After he became a suspect in the child's abduction, he provided a DNA sample which linked him to Jodi's murder. He subsequently confessed to the murder, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison. He stated he'd picked Jodi at random and that he'd intended to kill the ten-year-old he kidnapped.

beers_brittney_sketch.jpg
beers_brittney_furlong.jpg

Composite sketch of person seen speaking to Brittney in 1997; Daniel Furlong in 2015

Furlong bears a striking resemblance to the sketch of the man seen with Brittney prior to her disappearance, his known crimes were similar to Brittney's disappearance, and Jodi closely resembled her. He has maintained his innocence in her case, but remains one of the few persons of interest. A photo of Furlong is posted with this case summary.

Brittney's case remains open and unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

• Sturgis Police Department 269-651-3231

Source Information​

The article doesn't pop up who is this that also was taken
I tried to find any remnant of the original article or the kidnapping it discussed, but I haven’t had any luck. The most I found was the same quoted text from the article reposted in the comments under a podcast.

I tried to find any remnant of the original article or the kidnapping it discussed, but I haven’t had any luck. The most I found was the same quoted text from the article reposted in the comments under a podcast.
Well I can be totally honest with you and telling you that LaGrange County the cops the detectives the jail the guards the commander all that also including the FBI because I've emailed them too have not bothered to give two flying fuks to contact me back I went to jail this year from July to November I told the arresting officer about it I told the hospital about it because I had to go to the hospital because I fainted because I was getting arrested I told them about it I also told the jail guards about it and their booking officer then I talked to the commander and guess what nothing I also put out request forms to talk to the detectives who have not got back to me so I really don't know what to do about this and it's really annoying because I don't see what this any other police department's going to do if the one I freaking live in and I was in jail telling people this you know people like police officers and stuff that are supposed to help and them telling me pretty much nothing trust me whatever happened and why this happened they are all in on it and no one gives a excuse me for my language but honestly I'm almost Fed up Fed up

Well I can be totally honest with you and telling you that LaGrange County the cops the detectives the jail the guards the commander all that also including the FBI because I've emailed them too have not bothered to give two flying fuks to contact me back I went to jail this year from July to November I told the arresting officer about it I told the hospital about it because I had to go to the hospital because I fainted because I was getting arrested I told them about it I also told the jail guards about it and their booking officer then I talked to the commander and guess what nothing I also put out request forms to talk to the detectives who have not got back to me so I really don't know what to do about this and it's really annoying because I don't see what this any other police department's going to do if the one I freaking live in and I was in jail telling people this you know people like police officers and stuff that are supposed to help and them telling me pretty much nothing trust me whatever happened and why this happened they are all in on it and no one gives a excuse me for my language but honestly I'm almost Fed up Fed up
The investigating agencies may be more receptive to your information. If you haven’t contacted these specific agencies, I think that would be the best next step.

Sturgis Police Department
(269) 651-3231
Agency Case Number: 97-5716
Geoffrey Smith, Chief

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Kalamazoo RA
(269) 349-9607
Kurt Schichtel, Agent

NamUs Number: MP5838
NCMEC Number: 837981

Members online

Online statistics

Members online