MI MI - Henry Baltimore, 21, East Lansing, 30 May 1973

Would the email allegedly from Henry be sent by the killer or family "enabler, " to throw things off, or because after all these years they feel guilty?
speculation, imo.

By Leanne Smith | lsmith12@mlive.com
June 01, 2010

It's a mystery that has plagued the Baltimore family since May 30, 1973, when 21-year-old Henry L. Baltimore Jr. vanished without a trace from his off-campus apartment at Michigan State University.

It remains the East Lansing Police Department's oldest cold case.

"It is still an open case," Chief Tom Wibert said. "Missing persons cases aren't unusual, but we usually find something. This is highly unusual because there's been nothing for this long. There is no evidence of anything. He just disappeared."
After hearing nothing of Henry for years, the pending 40th reunion of Parkside's class of 1970 has brought a strange message to the Baltimore family. An Internet notice informing classmates of the reunion allegedly brought a response from someone saying, "I used to be Henry Baltimore." Sisters Lural Baltimore and Yvonne Baltimore-Brown have tried to find out whether this e-mail exists and who may have received it, but have had no luck.
rbbm.

This is such an amazing photo of Henry, more of him can be found at this link, which hopefully is okay to post.
Henry was absolutely brimming with great possibilities for the future, the world has been deprived of his talent, imo, hope the media picks up his story again and puts pressure on everyone who might know where Henry can be located.imo.
http://mackiewebsite.com/2014/11/02/football-game/

baltimore.jpg
Henry Baltimore

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2014/11/family_pleads_for_answers_in_1.html
"Both the City of East Lansing and the Michigan State University are offering a $5,000 reward each for information that leads to finding Henry or prosecuting his killers," Wrigglesworth said. "So on top of the $2,500 reward being offered by Crime Stoppers, The city and the university are both offering up additionally for this case. So if you know something, say something and you can remain anonymous through Crime Stoppers. Please help us finally resolve this case and find Henry and potentially prosecute his killers."

Wriggelsworth said the Genesee County Sheriff's Department, the Ingham County Sheriff's Department, the Flint Police Department, the East Lansing Police Department, the Michigan State University Police Department, and the Michigan State Police are all engaged in the investigation.

To submit an anonymous tip call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP, or text CSM and your tip to CRIMES (274637) or online at www.1800speakup.org.
rbbm.

This is such an amazing photo of Henry, more of him can be found at this link, which hopefully is okay to post.
Henry was absolutely brimming with great possibilities for the future, the world has been deprived of his talent, imo, hope the media picks up his story again and puts pressure on everyone who might know where Henry can be located.imo.

attachment.php

Henry Baltimore

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2014/11/family_pleads_for_answers_in_1.html

rbbm.

Thank you so much Dotr for finding this information. I am hoping that Henry's case gets more attention and that the person(s) responsible can give his family back their peace!

Adding to what Dotr already has posted, this quote from the site with great pictures of Henry:

Henry struts his stuff during the half-time show. A year or two after this game Henry disappeared from the MSU campus. The police believed it was because Henry reported a theft of his belongs to the police. They couldn’t prove that the student who Henry accused of the theft was guilty after Henry disappeared, so they had to let him go free. Henry was studying to be a band director and he would have been a very good one too.

This is the first time I'm reading that the person who stole from Henry may have been a student.

Bumping for Henry!

Very nice photos at your links. I would point out that there were actually two drum majors of the Michigan State Band in fall of 1972, both of them black. The first photo in the link shows both of them together. Henry is the one closest to the camera. The other one was Raymond Hough (pronounced "Huff") Most of the subsequent photos at the link are of Henry, but I believe that the photo which discusses Henry's disappearance in the caption is of Hough.

The photos were taken in October of 1972 and Henry went missing in May 1973 only 7 months later. Prior to his appointment as Drum Major, Henry played bass drum in the marching band. 1972 marked the first year that the MSU band had dual drum majors. They have continued the tradition at various intervals since that time.

Also, as a correction, I do not believe that the person who broke into Henry's apartment and stole from him was a fellow student. I have mentioned his name and one time location earlier in this thread. It is believed that there may have been two assailants/thieves involved (one possibly a relative of Henry). The theft charges were dropped when Henry did not appear at the second trial hearing, but the dirt bag was later convicted of other crimes and did spend some time in prison.

attachment.php

Henry Baltimore

rbbm.

Would the email allegedly from Henry be sent by the killer or family "enabler, " to throw things off, or because after all these years they feel guilty?
speculation, imo.

By Leanne Smith | lsmith12@mlive.com
June 01, 2010

rbbm.

I'm not entirely sure it was an email, I kinda pictured a post on a forum or something similar. Could it have been on classmates or Facebook or somewhere that it could still be found? It would be interesting to see what name it was posted under. Most high school alumni sites don't allow "screen names" although of course you could sign up with a fake name.

Wasn't there a site called reunion.com at some time? It seems the family can't find this message or any information about where it came from so I wonder how they learned it existed?

I'm not entirely sure it was an email, I kinda pictured a post on a forum or something similar. Could it have been on classmates or Facebook or somewhere that it could still be found? It would be interesting to see what name it was posted under. Most high school alumni sites don't allow "screen names" although of course you could sign up with a fake name.

Wasn't there a site called reunion.com at some time? It seems the family can't find this message or any information about where it came from so I wonder how they learned it existed?

Glad to see this case bumped! Last night , out of the blue was thinking of Henry and meant to bump his thread today- got busy and it slipped my mind, thanks for the reminder!

Glad to see this case bumped! Last night , out of the blue was thinking of Henry and meant to bump his thread today- got busy and it slipped my mind, thanks for the reminder!

I am intrigued by that reunion message. Most likely a hoax but by someone who knew what high school he went to and what year he graduated? I don't recall seeing that info in any articles so it's quite strange.

Attachments

• img_48667.jpeg
    img_48667.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 77

Repost of that article which mentions the class reunion and gives WS as one source for further information about the case.
Why, oh why would anyone send an email supposedly from Harry, it is not like his classmates are young students playing pranks, and the case has not reached a particularly wide audience, why?
speculation, imo.

http://www.mlive.com/living/jackson/index.ssf/2010/05/peek_through_time_more_than_30.html
The case today

• The 1973 case of the disappearance of Jackson's Henry L. Baltimore Jr. is still open and considered active by the East Lansing Police Department. Anyone with information about the fate or whereabouts of the 1970 Parkside High School graduate and then 21-year-old high-stepping drum major of the Michigan State University Marching Band is asked to call 517-351-4220 or e-mail Police Chief Tom Wibert at twibert@cityofeastlansing.com.

• More information on Baltimore and his disappearance can be found on the web at www.michigandoes.com/MP/HenryBaltimoreJr.html and www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4852516.

• The MSU Black Alumni Association and professor Carl Taylor are establishing through the MSU Endowment Fund a scholarship in Baltimore's name.

• After hearing nothing of Henry for years, the pending 40th reunion of Parkside's class of 1970 has brought a strange message to the Baltimore family. An Internet notice informing classmates of the reunion allegedly brought a response from someone saying, "I used to be Henry Baltimore." Sisters Lural Baltimore and Yvonne Baltimore-Brown have tried to find out whether this e-mail exists and who may have received it, but have had no luck.

There are a couple things in this case that strike me as odd.

Some of the reports say that he disappeared right before he was supposed to testify, and of course there is the suggestion that he could have fled to avoid testifying. There is also the thing where Davis threatened him not to testify.

But in an article from around the time it happened, his roommate says Henry was well aware that he would not have to testify again.

It was also said that Henry's items were returned to him as part of an agreement not to testify at the preliminary hearing. But Henry did testify at the preliminary hearing, he didn't show up initially but a bench warrant was issued and Henry was arrested and fined for not showing up. They rescheduled it, and Henry did testify, possibly to avoid being arrested again?

I also find it odd that the articles all name Davis but not the other suspect.

ETA sources for all the things I just mentioned are already in this thread.

I found an old angelfire site for that reunion. There is nothing pertaining to Henry on it and the "View Guestbook" doesn't work, but there is a listing of several people who were coordinating the reunion, if you click on "Listing of committee members"

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/parkside/

I also scrolled through the entire Facebook page for that school and found no reunion stuff for class of 70. There were a couple posts about Henry and comments from people who knew him but the comments were mostly about what a great guy he was.

I also looked on classmates and saw reunion info for many years but not 1970.

So I'm guessing the angelfire site is where the message originated, if it existed.

Another picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 18
This case has really been haunting me the past few days. After rereading everything and thinking on it some more, I still think that foul play is the most likely theory, but I don't think the idea of him disappearing of his own accord can be ruled out either.

Richard's recollection earlier in the thread that a cousin of Henry's may have been involved is corroborated in MSM here:

http://www.mlive.com/living/jackson/index.ssf/2010/05/peek_through_time_more_than_30.html

Lonnie, who was then 17, tried to investigate what might have happened to the older brother he idolized. He theorizes that Davis may have had a connection to a Baltimore family cousin who also lived in Flint and like Davis had previous brushes with the law.

The same article states:

The pressure of the court case may have been too much for him to take," younger brother Lonnie Baltimore said. "He was home the weekend before for Memorial Day and he said he needed to get someplace by himself to get away from that apartment."

I think the fact that a family member was likely involved would explain why Henry would not take any chances with ANY of his family knowing where he was, if in fact he voluntarily disappeared. I'm still unable to figure out why he would have left his car, though.

The same article linked above also states this, which is not stated in most reports.

"His car was there and all his things were there in their places, but he wasn't there," she said. "I kept calling and his roommates said he went to the library and never came home. The time to turn in the paper came and went and no Henry. I had to call my father. It was one of the most difficult things I've ever done."

bbm

So he actually left. That would suggest that when the two men were reportedly knocking at his door the day he disappeared, he either wasn't there, or was still alive after they left. The fact that the men were seen knocking on his door that day and my belief that he hadn't been seen since, was one of the things that made me think foul play. It's still possible that he went to the library, came back, and then the men knocked on the door. The men knocking was seen by a neighbor.

From Post #15 in this thread
Lott said that the stolen goods had been returned to Baltimore in return for a promise that Baltimore would not testify at Davis' preliminary exam, which would then have caused the case against Davis to be dismissed.

I just can't imagine the situation Henry must have been in. He could either testify and live in fear of retaliation, or not testify and go to jail, and end up with a criminal record that would hinder his career goals. (He wanted to be a social worker.) He initially did not show up for the preliminary hearing, I can't imagine that he ever expected to be arrested for it, but he was, and a new date was set. He did show up the second time and testified. So I can imagine that he might be inclined to leave.

It appears that he testified on 5/24 and disappeared on 5/30.

Would Witness Protection apply in a case like this? I'm wondering if something like that occurred, and the program did not allow contact with family, I have heard that people in witness protection aren't supposed to contact anyone at all. Would LE know if that were the case though?

Just thinking out loud because it's been on my mind.

Where are you, Henry??

I found an old angelfire site for that reunion. There is nothing pertaining to Henry on it and the "View Guestbook" doesn't work, but there is a listing of several people who were coordinating the reunion, if you click on "Listing of committee members"

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/parkside/

I also scrolled through the entire Facebook page for that school and found no reunion stuff for class of 70. There were a couple posts about Henry and comments from people who knew him but the comments were mostly about what a great guy he was.

I also looked on classmates and saw reunion info for many years but not 1970.

So I'm guessing the angelfire site is where the message originated, if it existed.

Just wanted to add that I was able to access the guestbook through the wayback machine, and it was only posted in from 1999-2001 so that was the 30 year reunion. Can't find anything on the 40 year so far but still looking.

Looking to see if i can find Henry B. in this clip.
Uploaded on Apr 20, 2010

Excerpts from the Nov. 17, 1973 Spartan Marching Band halftime show, filmed without sound. I added audio clips from the 1972 & 1973 SMB live recordings. This show was designed by SMB seniors to parody some previous routines. It featured a rendition of "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" from the 1972 season that "accidentally" resulted in two male symbols (not captured on film - we see the "correction" here) and a big train wreck.
MSU Spartan Marching Band 1973
[video=youtube;QA_gGqKmbfU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA_gGqKmbfU[/video]

I was looking at this UID as a possible. I no longer think it's him, but there is an unfortunate and somewhat comical typo in the clothing description.

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/12055

According to Charley Project, he had a large Afro when he disappeared so that could explain some height difference but I think this one is off by too much.

I am not sure, but I suspect the 2nd photo on Charley is the mug shot from right before he disappeared. If you zoom in, it looks like there are marks on his forehead that could be from his injuries.

I was looking at this UID as a possible. I no longer think it's him, but there is an unfortunate and somewhat comical typo in the clothing description.

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/12055

According to Charley Project, he had a large Afro when he disappeared so that could explain some height difference but I think this one is off by too much.

I am not sure, but I suspect the 2nd photo on Charley is the mug shot from right before he disappeared. If you zoom in, it looks like there are marks on his forehead that could be from his injuries.

Admittedly i giggled, but will also now respectfully keep an eye out for this uid, thanks for the find!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stupot77
Back