MI MI - Henry Baltimore, 21, East Lansing, 30 May 1973

Peek through time: More than 30 years later, Henry L. Baltimore's disappearance is still a mystery

By Leanne Smith
lsmith@citpat.com

May 28, 2010, 9:42PM

At the link below is a Citizen Patriot File Photo of Henry in his Drum Major uniform. Henry L. Baltimore Jr., a 1970 Parkside High School graduate, was co-drum major at Michigan State University in 1972. He vanished without a trace the following spring, and his disappearance still remains a mystery...

If life really was like TV, the police would pull out a weathered file, talk to a few people and within an hour give Jackson's Doris Baltimore the answer to a question that's troubled her for 37 years.

"What has happened to my son?" she asks.

It's a mystery that has plagued the Baltimore family since May 30, 1973, when 21-year-old Henry L. Baltimore Jr. vanished without a trace from his off-campus apartment at Michigan State University.

It remains the East Lansing Police Department's oldest cold case.

"It is still an open case," Chief Tom Wibert said. "Missing persons cases aren't unusual, but we usually find something. This is highly unusual because there's been nothing for this long. There is no evidence of anything. He just disappeared."

Source:
Jackson Living

LINK:

http://www.mlive.com/living/jackson/index.ssf/2010/05/peek_through_time_more_than_30.html

By Leanne Smith

May 28, 2010,
Note: Photo of Henry Baltimore 1973 at link

The disappearance of Jackson's Henry L. Baltimore Jr. 37 years ago still baffles those who knew him as a positive, energetic and much-liked person with a wonderful sense of humor.

Henry, his mother Doris said, was always a good boy.

"He was wonderful and obedient," she said. "He may have gotten out of line one or two times, but I don't remember any."

Henry was a Cub Scout who delivered the Jackson Citizen Patriot. Like the rest of his family, Henry loved music and singing and his mother remembers well the Christmas he got a three-piece drum set from Santa Claus.

Source:

Jackson Living article: Family members recall Henry L. Baltimore Jr. as warm and energetic

LINK:

http://www.mlive.com/living/jackson/index.ssf/2010/05/family_members_recall_henry_l.html

This May will mark the 38 year anniversary of Henry Baltimore's disappearance. The case is still open and unsolved.

--------------------------------------------
Henry Louis Baltimore Jr., 21, Missing since May 30, 1973 from East Lansing, MI

Henry Louis Baltimore Jr.
Missing since May 30, 1973 from East Lansing, Ingham County, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 16, 1952
Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'2"; 175 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Black hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: No tattoos and no distinctive scars.
Clothing: Black turtleneck sweater, light grey slacks, and black and grey shoes.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available in CODIS.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Baltimore was last seen in East Lansing, Michigan on May 30, 1973.

Henry was scheduled to testify as the victim and witness of an armed robbery that took place in March 1973, but he vanished a few days before the hearing.

At the time of his disappearance, Henry was a social science and music honor student and the drum major for the Michigan State University Marching Band.

His 1968 Buick was located on campus and all his belongings were in place.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

East Lansing Police Department
517-319-6811

Agency Case Number: 1241.C.73

Source Information:

Michigan Does
MLive
The Doe Network: Case File 2149DMMI

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2149dmmi.html

I just read through a lot of this, & I have to say, I'm surprised that more hasn't been done to solve this case. My daughter was a college majorette at a Texas college, & I have to say, that only the best of the best, are chosen to lead college bands. There's no way this young man just took off, & hasn't contacted his family. The fact that he was close with his family, & had such a coveted position in the band, just screams, NO. Guys like him don't just disappear. Gosh, I wish there was something I could do. I really feel for this family,

I think Mr. Davis probably kidnapped and killed Henry. It does not sound like Henry would be the kind of person to just run away, maybe, he went into hiding like LE theorized. However, in order to do that he almost certainly would have taken his car.

I apologize if this question has already been answered. Was Davis convicted of anything related to the armed-robbery charges, or were all charges subsequently dropped when Henry disappeared?

Was the identity of the second man who initially robbed and ransacked Henry's apartment ever identified? Was the second man charged? Convicted?

Satch

I think Mr. Davis probably kidnapped and killed Henry. ...

... Was Davis convicted of anything related to the armed-robbery charges, or were all charges subsequently dropped when Henry disappeared?

Was the identity of the second man who initially robbed and ransacked Henry's apartment ever identified? Was the second man charged? Convicted?

Satch

Without Henry's testimony, I think some charges were dropped. However, Davis had previous charges and later crimes that put him in prison for a time.

I do not have the name of the second man, but understand that it was a cousin of Henry.

Here is another link for a website featuring the case:

http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=8822.0

It has now been over 39 years since Henry Baltimore went missing. Roy L. Davis certainly had a motive for making Henry disappear, and seems to have had no problem beating him during the robbery and threatening him to keep him from testifying.

The second man mentioned as taking part in the robbery may have been a relative (cousin?) of Henry Baltimore. He too, should be considered a person of interest in this case.

I sent a tip to Twinsburg P.D. in Ohio that was subsequently sent to East Lansing last month. While I was looking through this case, I did a basic search in neighboring states for unidentified John Does. One seemed to match by artist rendition and time frame of death.

The detective that I spoke with says that there is a DNA analysis pending. Below are the links.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9141/233/

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5830

This May will mark 40 years since Henry Baltimore went missing.

I received an e-mail today from the Lansing Police Department that UP#5830 is not a DNA match for Henry.

Bumping for Henry. He has been missing for over 40 years now.

If he disappeared just days before he was supposed to testify against somebody, well...that's a pretty compelling motive. I have heard of this happening in several cases. Have the police completely ruled this out? My first thought is "look no further; either the defendant or a lackey for the defendant has eliminated the witness in the upcoming trial."

This May will mark the 38 year anniversary of Henry Baltimore's disappearance. The case is still open and unsolved.

--------------------------------------------
Henry Louis Baltimore Jr., 21, Missing since May 30, 1973 from East Lansing, MI

Henry Louis Baltimore Jr.
Missing since May 30, 1973 from East Lansing, Ingham County, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 16, 1952
Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'2"; 175 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Black hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: No tattoos and no distinctive scars.
Clothing: Black turtleneck sweater, light grey slacks, and black and grey shoes.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available in CODIS.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Baltimore was last seen in East Lansing, Michigan on May 30, 1973.

Henry was scheduled to testify as the victim and witness of an armed robbery that took place in March 1973, but he vanished a few days before the hearing.

At the time of his disappearance, Henry was a social science and music honor student and the drum major for the Michigan State University Marching Band.

His 1968 Buick was located on campus and all his belongings were in place.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

517-319-6811

Agency Case Number: 1241.C.73

Source Information:

Michigan Does
MLive
The Doe Network: Case File 2149DMMI

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2149dmmi.html

Today marks 43 years since Henry Baltimore, Jr. disappeared. Sending prayers.

Any chance that during the hold-up, Henry may have had a head or other injury that had a delayed impact on him?
Maybe the events had a terrible emotional effect on this bright and talented young man to be treated that way , especially in his own home- by not one, but allegedly 2 assailants and to add insult to injury, his money and other items were stolen. All that and Henry had exams and practices, and he has to testify in court.
Poor guy, all that pressure, indignation and fear, one could understand and almost hope, that he miraculously ran away somewhere, or had a breakdown and is living in the shadows.

Apparently all of Henry's items were still at his apartment and car at school after his disappearance- why were those items not stolen by the poi?
imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back