MI MI - Jacob Cabinaw, 31, Traverse City, 31 March 2010

His NamUs profile is still up. When I googled his name I found a thread on Project Jason that says "Declared Deceased: Jacob "Jake" Cabinaw - MI - 03/31/2010", sadly I can't seem to open that link or find anything else about that online.

His NamUs profile is still up. When I googled his name I found a thread on Project Jason that says "Declared Deceased: Jacob "Jake" Cabinaw - MI - 03/31/2010", sadly I can't seem to open that link or find anything else about that online.

That probably has to do with social security and whatnot for his kids. He has to be declared dead to receive benefits, to my knowledge.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Hi all, this is Julie Cabinaw, sister in law of Jake. There just is no news. No lack of interest in our family, nothing to hide, just sadly, absolutely no news, and its seven years later. Wish we had something to share or news.

The page went dark briefly because of the amount of hurtful things people were saying, and the lack of any information and people continuing to ask was pretty painful for his mom (not the admin of the page, his sister and I are the admins)

The only thing that happened this last year was that a creative non-fiction author wrote an extremely upsetting "fictional non-fiction" piece, where she tried to fill in the blanks with her imagination and hurt the family quite a bit. It was a bit creepy as she sort of wrote herself into the story, which creeped us all out. We got advice from a lawyer and corresponded with the magazine regarding false light law and they had the piece edited to remove his name.

That is the extent to what we know, and wish that we had closure.

Thanks all for following -- a 31 year old man going missing does not keep the attention of law enforcement long, unfortunately. :(

Julie Cabinaw

Hi all, this is Julie Cabinaw, sister in law of Jake. There just is no news. No lack of interest in our family, nothing to hide, just sadly, absolutely no news, and its seven years later. Wish we had something to share or news.

The page went dark briefly because of the amount of hurtful things people were saying, and the lack of any information and people continuing to ask was pretty painful for his mom (not the admin of the page, his sister and I are the admins)

The only thing that happened this last year was that a creative non-fiction author wrote an extremely upsetting "fictional non-fiction" piece, where she tried to fill in the blanks with her imagination and hurt the family quite a bit. It was a bit creepy as she sort of wrote herself into the story, which creeped us all out. We got advice from a lawyer and corresponded with the magazine regarding false light law and they had the piece edited to remove his name.

That is the extent to what we know, and wish that we had closure.

Thanks all for following -- a 31 year old man going missing does not keep the attention of law enforcement long, unfortunately. :(

Julie Cabinaw

Thank you for the update. Do you know what Project Jason would have him marked as deceased?

So I am more of a reader here than a poster but I have to say something here...Jacobs sister in law mentioned his facebook page going dark. His page went dark right after Jacobs ex-wife posted that there was exciting news coming. Then his page disappeared for months. When it re-appeared it became much less active and no mention of the "exciting news" was forthcoming. Soon after the only posting seen were holiday wishes to Jacob in absentia and page followers, as well as..."well its your birthday again" kind of stuff. I find it odd that right after the exciting news and sudden page shutdown that family activity and shared info ceased. It makes me wonder if he contacted family and let them know he was ok.

JACOB “JAKE” CABINAW
upload_2020-4-1_11-25-44.jpeg
Thumbnail
cabinaw_jacob.jpg
jacob_cabinaw_4.jpg
jacob_cabinaw_10.jpg

Cabinaw, circa 2010; Cabinaw's car

Date of Last Contact: March 31, 2010
Missing From: Traverse City, Michigan
Race / Ethnicity: Native American; He is of Ottawa and Chippewa Indian descent.
Sex: Male
Date of Birth: October 6, 1978
Height: 5' 9" - 6' 2" (69 - 74 Inches)
Weight: 145 - 175 lbs
Hair Color: Brown; Short- buzz cut
Eye Color: Brown

Details of Disappearance

Cabinaw disappeared from Traverse City, Michigan at 7:30 p.m. on March 31, 2010. He dropped a friend off downtown after they played frisbee golf. He was driving his silver 2002 Chevrolet Malibu with the Michigan license plate number BKQ 4107; it has minor damage on the front passenger side panel.

Cabinaw apparently never returned to his home in Grawn, Michigan. At 1:00 a.m. on April 1, he called an automated system to confirm he was still taking community college classes. Shortly after that, he used his bank card used to buy gas in Mattawan, Michigan.

On April 2, he bought gas with his bank card in Sweetwater, Texas and his image was captured on a security camera. Sweetwater is over 1,000 miles from Cabinaw's home. There's been no trace of him since and his car is also missing. A photo of the car is posted with this case summary.

Cabinaw's brother is stationed at Fort Hood in Texas, but that is his only known connection to the state. He had insufficient funds in his bank account to pay for his gas purchases, but the transactions went through because he had overdraft coverage. He hasn't used his cellular phone since he went missing, and he left his phone charger at home.

Cabinaw was a technical science student at Northwestern Michigan College at the time of his disappearance, and a member of the National Guard. His family stated he doesn't use drugs and it's uncharacteristic of him to leave without warning.

Although police believe he left of his own accord, his family is afraid for his safety. Cabinaw is the seventh of ten children in his family, and he has two sons by his ex-wife. His case remains unsolved.

6 Unidentified Person Exclusions
UP7315 05/12/2010 Baltimore MD
UP7699 07/17/2010 Harris TX
UP8600 10/29/2010 Van Buren MI (x2)
UP8642 03/30/2011 Fulton GA
UP14360 08/14/2015 Bland VA

A lengthy article that is full of good information:
By Mardi Link mlink@record-eagle.com
12 hrs ago
“TRAVERSE CITY — Ten years have passed since Jacob ‘Jake’ Cabinaw disappeared.

Family and friends say life without him feels wrong.

They miss him, miss his goofy sense of humor and his helpful nature.

‘It doesn’t get easier,’ Jake Cabinaw’s sister, Sandra Cabinaw Cranson, said in a phone interview Monday. ‘There is a part of me that thinks, if he could be home right now, he would be.’

Cabinaw, 31 at the time of his disappearance, was last seen in Traverse City on March 31, 2010.

He and a friend — Gary Wittig of Traverse City — played disc golf at Hickory Hills and Wittig told law enforcement Cabinaw dropped him off near the volleyball courts at the Open Space about 7:30 p.m.

Wittig said he’d invited Cabinaw to go with him to some downtown bars, but Cabinaw declined, saying he needed to go home and study for class.

[SBM]

Paul Gomez was the Grand Traverse County Sheriff’s detective assigned in 2010 to find out what happened to Cabinaw. He said he still thinks about the investigation and about the Cabinaw family.

It’s one of the cases that haunt him.

‘He was a great father, he enjoyed being in the military and serving in the (National) Guard, and as an investigator you do form some kind of bond,’ Gomez said in a phone interview Tuesday. ‘You want to bring closure to the family.’

On Oct. 5, 2012, Gomez arranged for a polygraph in relation to the case, but declined to say of who. The police report contains the date, but the identity of the subject is redacted.

Records show Gomez met with then-Prosecutor Robert Cooney to discuss issuing investigative subpoenas. Cooney told him Grand Traverse County no longer had jurisdiction since some believe Cabinaw was last recorded, alive and well, in Texas.

Gomez left the Grand Traverse County Sheriff Department in 2016 and works as a police officer in Washtenaw County.

When asked his theory on where Cabinaw is, or what happened to him, Gomez referred the question to Jason Polzien, the Grand Traverse County detective assigned to the case.

‘It’s puzzling,’ Polzien said in a phone interview Friday. ‘The guy had a job, he was in school, he had kids. You don’t see people like that just go off the grid.’

Polzien’s supplemental police reports dated Feb. 21 record new information, adding more inconclusive details to the mystery.

At Polzien’s direction, Carfax data on Cabinaw’s vehicle was forwarded to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, resulting in a hit in Mexico, likely from an impound yard though no additional information was forthcoming.

‘The current status of the vehicle is unknown,’ the report states. ‘It is believed the car was crushed or destroyed.’

Police reports also show Cranson and [Ken] Barringer each told Polzien in separate interviews they recalled Wittig being out of town about the time Cabinaw went missing.

They remembered this because Wittig’s mother, Marcia, now deceased, had repeatedly called them looking for her son.

Wittig did not respond to a message seeking comment.

[SBM]

Online sleuths
The mystery has captured the attention of online sleuths, sometimes called ‘bedroom detectives,’ who try to solve crimes and missing persons’ cases from their home computers.

They log into sites like Websleuths, NamUs, or Reddit’s communities called ‘subreddits’ and parse well-worn details like these:

When Cabinaw disappeared, it was a Thursday night, he was wearing his work uniform — gray jacket, white T-shirt, blue pants — and driving a 2002 silver Chevy Malibu, license plate number BKQ 4107.

The car had existing damage to the front end on the passenger side.

Cabinaw’s bank card was used at the Buckley General Store March 31, 2010 about 9 p.m. — an hour and a half after Wittig said he was dropped off in Traverse City.

At 1 a.m. April 1, 2010, Cabinaw made his required monthly call to the Army National Guard’s automated phone system, to report he was still a student at Northwestern Michigan College.

At 2 a.m. his bank card was used at a Speedway in Mattawan, a four corners off I-94, 10 miles west of Kalamazoo. There’s video of this transaction and Cabinaw’s family confirmed it was Jake.

He’s alone in the vehicle and no other vehicles appear to be following.

Later that day, Cabinaw again paid for gas, first at an Exxon station in Fort Worth, Texas, and a few hours later at Skinny’s 7-Eleven in Sweetwater, Texas.

Video of the 7-Eleven transaction is Cabinaw, Barringer said, though Polzien and Cranson both said they’re less certain.

[SBM]”
Much more at the link: Jacob Cabinaw: A decade missing

(Update to his Charley Project profile; BBM)

Details of Disappearance
Cabinaw disappeared from Traverse City, Michigan at 7:30 p.m. on March 31, 2010. He dropped a friend off downtown after they played frisbee golf. He was driving his silver 2002 Chevrolet Malibu with the Michigan license plate number BKQ 4107; it has minor damage on the front passenger side panel.

Cabinaw apparently never returned to his home in Grawn, Michigan. At 1:00 a.m. on April 1, he called an automated system to confirm he was still taking community college classes. Shortly after that, he used his bank card used to buy gas in Mattawan, Michigan.

Just after midnight on April 2, a police officer in Hollister, Missouri ran Cabinaw's license plate. A deputy with the Washington County Sheriff's Department in Arkansas ran the plate three hours later, and noted Cabinaw was asleep in his car, which was parked at the Brentwood Rest Area off U.S. 71 in West Fork.

Later that day,
Cabinaw's debit card was used to buy gasoline in Sweetwater, Texas and his image was captured on a security camera. Sweetwater is over 1,000 miles from Cabinaw's home. There's been no trace of him since and his car is also missing. A photo of the car is posted with this case summary.

Cabinaw's brother is stationed at Fort Hood in Texas, but that is his only known connection to the state. He had insufficient funds in his bank account to pay for his gas purchases, but the transactions went through because he had overdraft coverage. He hasn't used his cellular phone since he went missing, and he left his phone charger at home.

Cabinaw was a technical science student at Northwestern Michigan College at the time of his disappearance, and a member of the National Guard. His family stated he doesn't use drugs and it's uncharacteristic of him to leave without warning.

Although police believe he left of his own accord, his family is afraid for his safety. Cabinaw is the seventh of ten children in his family, and he has two sons by his ex-wife. His case remains unsolved.

Last edited:
From @inmyhumbleopinion ’s link above (excellent info BTW!)

“[...] Polzien also learned, via the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Service, that a Hollister, Missouri, police officer ran Cabinaw’s license plate April 2, 2010, just after midnight; then a deputy with the Washington, Arkansas, Sheriff Department ran the same plate three hours later.

The deputy noted Cabinaw was sleeping in his car, parked at the Brentwood Rest Area off U.S. 71 in West Fork. Whether Cabinaw was alone in the vehicle is unknown. The officer was wearing a body camera, and Polzien said he’s seen the video and has requested the audio.
[...]”

This article, combined with what was previously known, seems to lay out a pretty detailed route and timeline. He was found sleeping in his car which makes me think he was making the trip to Texas (at least) willingly. I just can’t decide whether or not he has remained gone by choice. This is a very intriguing case. I hope they are able to get more information from the officer’s body cam.

Thanks for sharing this article!

ETA: the timeline seems to indicate he was trying to get to where he was going relatively quickly, without making many stops...and his lack of funds makes me wonder if maybe he was expecting some sort of pay out when he arrived at his destination? Pure speculation on my part (I’ve read some rumor-based theories regarding his disappearance). I’m also curious as to why his LP was ran back to back in such a short period of time. I’d guess it was probably just routine, given that his car had some visible body damage, was on the road during the middle of the night, and had out of state license plates. I’d likely call it in also.

Now I’m really curious about his encounter with the Arkansas deputy. I wonder what that conversation consisted of, if at all helpful in his case.

EATA: it just dawned on me; if he was in Texas the day after his disappearance (April 1st) and then in Missouri and Arkansas on April 2nd, wouldn’t that mean he was on his way back to Michigan?? (The new article says he was in Texas on the 1st of April, although his CP profile says he was there after being in MO and AR, which was on the 2nd...so I may be reading that wrong :confused:)

(am I understanding the timeline correctly? In the days immediately following his disappearance?)

March 31, 2010, 7:30 p.m. - Traverse City, Michigan: He and a friend — Gary Wittig of Traverse City — played disc golf at Hickory Hills and Wittig told law enforcement Cabinaw dropped him off near the volleyball courts at the Open Space, a beach-side park.

March 31, 2010 about 9 p.m. - near Traverse City, Michigan: Cabinaw’s bank card was used at the Buckley General Store.

April 1, 2010 at 1:00 a.m.: Cabinaw made his required monthly call to the Army National Guard’s automated phone system, to report he was still a student at Northwestern Michigan College.

April 1, 2010 at 2:00 a.m. - Mattawan, Michigan: His bank card was used at a Speedway in Mattawan, Michigan, a four corners off Interstate 94, 10 miles west of Kalamazoo, Michigan. There’s video of this transaction and Cabinaw’s family confirmed it was Jake. He’s alone in the vehicle and no other vehicles appear to be following.

April 1, 2010 - Fort Worth, Texas: Later that day, Cabinaw again paid for gas, first at an Exxon station in Fort Worth, Texas, and a few hours later at Skinny’s 7-Eleven in Sweetwater, Texas. Video of the 7-Eleven transaction is Cabinaw, Barringer said, though Polzien and Cranson both said they’re less certain.

April 2, 2010, just after midnight - Hollister, Missouri: A police officer ran Cabinaw’s license plate.

April 2, 2010, 3:00 a.m. - West Fork, Arkansas: Then a deputy with the Washington, Arkansas, Sheriff Department ran the same plate three hours later. He noted Cabinaw was asleep in his car, which was parked at the Brentwood Rest Area off U.S. 71 in West Fork.

Last edited:
Has to be a misprint somewhere. He would have traveled through Missouri then Arkansas only on his way to Texas, not going back to Michigan. o_O

Has to be a misprint somewhere. He would have traveled through Missouri then Arkansas only on his way to Texas, not going back to Michigan. o_O
It can't be a misprint. It takes about 10 hours to get to Hollister from Kalamazoo according to Mapquest. If he was in Kalamazoo at 9PM on Mar 31, even with the change in time zone, he wouldn't have made it anyway near Hollister by midnight on Apr 1. If this is true then it pretty much changes everything we thought we knew.

I guess I meant there was a misprint somewhere... some places have him in Texas on the 1st and others on the 2nd. And depending on which is correct, it would make a difference in whether he made it to Texas and was on his way back to Michigan or he only made it to Texas.

The direct path from MI to TX would be through MO and then AR, which are the two places his license plate was run, and in that order. So if the encounter with the police officer in AR took place after he was seen on surveillance in Texas, that would mean he made it out of Texas and into two states between there and Michigan. Only, if he took the direct route in that case, he should have been in AR and then MO, not the other way around. If that makes sense?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back