GUILTY MI - Jamila Smith, 3, beaten to death, Detroit, Sept 2014

I have to say I can hardly believe the father's restrant. I have a granddaughtr that age and she is the cutest, smartest, etc child ever.

If anyone hurt that baby, I don't know what I would do.

Boldfaced by me.

This really does seem contradictory.

Well, I suppose strong feelings can be contradictory. I 'applaud' him for punching the man that slaughtered his baby because he followed through on the innate impulse most fathers would feel. I think most of us would have if that same urge if our baby was murdered. Maybe you do not have that instinct and that is fine.

I don't 'celebrate' any of it because his 3 yr old died a brutal death at the hands of his mother and her boyfriend. So a celebration is not in order.

As I said, if someone beat my grandbaby to death and I was standing a few feet away from the killer, I would have a strong impulse to lash out as well. And I would not apologize for that impulse because it is instinctive to protect one's babies.

If you had a beautiful 3 yr old baby girl, and someone beat her to death, how would you react to seeing her killer a few feet away from you? Are you saying that you would not have the urge to punch him? I sure would and I don't feel ashamed to admit so.

Seems to me there's a huge difference in the emotions a father would feel standing next to the man who killed his 3 year old child as compared to the emotions a cop and a suspect, who probably had never even met before, would feel. Cop/suspect--->nothing personal. Father/man who killed his child---->it doesn't get anymore personal than that.

This wasn't some stranger that punched the baby killer in the head, it was the baby's father.

And some people can't understand his inability to control himself? Wow. Strange.

I would never choose to be a few feet from that killer - ever. My thoughts and urges would be conducted in the privacy of my home - not in the public eye. Otherwise, I would have much to be ashamed about - no better than the killer.

I so get why people defend LE wrongdoing now - revenge is sweet, or so I've heard.

So you wouldn't choose to go to the trial? You wouldnt make an impact statement?

I strongly disagree that this grieving father is no better than the killer of his child . Talk about false equivalencies. Punching the man that killed your child is not 'equal to' beating a 3 yr old to death.

And I hardly call it 'revenge.' It does not even come close to any kind of vengeance.

I do not understand your connecting this case and LE brutality, but whatever. Suit yourself.

In a perfect world, none of this would have happened because the parents of the deceased child would have been together instead of bio-mom seeing other men and having them watch the child. :moo:

I'm coming in late to this party, however; after reading through a few of these posts I can say that currently this blame putting that is going on directed at the father is exactly what is wrong with our society here in America.

What's he suppose to do just swallow everything? Nah. This complete waste of skin killed his three year old child.

In a perfect world, none of this would have happened because the parents of the deceased child would have been together instead of bio-mom seeing other men and having them watch the child. :moo:

Absolutely. Because parents who stay together never, ever abuse their children.

I blame the Court for this incident. What the heck were they thinking by placing the father within reach of his baby's killer to give his impact statement.

Whoever came up with that idea must be taking that new medication called Nobraynzatol.

Question aimed at no one in particular:

What if the defendants had been found not guilty? Would you view the father's punch-throwing in a different light? Why or why not?

What if the defendants had been found not guilty? Would you view the father's punch-throwing in a different light? Why or why not?

Well, at this point, guilt had already been determined. But regardless -- I guess, myself, I'm unwilling to return to the bad old days when being very angry was seen as a sound legal defense for committing acts of violence, or acting as judge/jury/executioner. I totally understand why the father would have been so angry, but if it's ok for someone to commit acts of violence because they are 'so angry', we are setting some very dangerous precedents, both legally and morally.

Well, at this point, guilt had already been determined. But regardless -- I guess, myself, I'm unwilling to return to the bad old days when being very angry was seen as a sound legal defense for committing acts of violence, or acting as judge/jury/executioner. I totally understand why the father would have been so angry, but if it's ok for someone to commit acts of violence because they are 'so angry', we are setting some very dangerous precedents, both legally and morally.

Thanks for answering my question.

I'd also be interested in the opinions of those who say they don't have much of a problem, if any, with the father throwing the punch.

How was the father acting as judge/jury/executioner? The judge and the jury had already done their part and found the coward GUILTY. And one punch is hardly an execution.

Legally it is NOT okay. As I said, the man probably decided it was worth some jail time and some fines. He didn't pull out a gun or a knife. He went old school and got a punch in. I think some people are totally over reacting. The father knew he was going to only get one good punch in. He was surrounded by cops. I don't see how it is going to set any new moral or legal precedents. It is just a grieving angry father letting off some steam. Cut him a break.

How was the father acting as judge/jury/executioner? The judge and the jury had already done their part and found the coward GUILTY. And one punch is hardly an execution.

rsbm --

While I know what you're saying, did the judge or jury determine that he was, aside from time incarcerated, to be subjected to a physical attack from someone in the court?

No -- the victim's father judged that he could mete out physical punishment. Like I said before, it's understandable -- but that doesn't make it right. I hope he doesn't serve any time for doing it, but he does deserve to be prosecuted.

You often defend LE and criticize those who break the law. Is it right to make exceptions? Would you be ok with people just throwing 'one good punch' at the back of your head because they decided they were mad at you? Or how about if they did so to one of your children?

Wow. I love how people try to squeeze the same old narrative into this case when it has no point being here.

If I was that close to some that murdered my child or grandchild, I would do MUCH worse than punch them in the face. It's called being human. Court or no court, I would do as much damage as I possibly could. Would I be breaking the law? Yup. And I would take the punishment due to me.

Go ahead and judge me. I promise I'll sleep fine tonight. :facepalm:

rsbm --

While I know what you're saying, did the judge or jury determine that he was, aside from time incarcerated, to be subjected to a physical attack from someone in the court?

No -- the victim's father judged that he could mete out physical punishment. Like I said before, it's understandable -- but that doesn't make it right. I hope he doesn't serve any time for doing it, but he does deserve to be prosecuted.

You often defend LE and criticize those who break the law. Is it right to make exceptions? Would you be ok with people just throwing 'one good punch' at the back of your head because they decided they were mad at you? Or how about if they did so to one of your children?

If I brutally killed someones 3 yr old child then I would be OK with them throwing one good punch at me. If one of my kids murdered a baby, God Forbid, then I would totally understand if the grieving parent punched them in the head. Totally understandable and not that unexpected.

I very rarely excuse that kind of outburst---but the brutal murder of a 3 yr old seems like a good enough reason. And I agree he should face some legal consequences. Hopefully a suspended sentence and some mercy is shown.

I do defend LE quite often and I do criticize those that break the law. Is it right to make exceptions? Good question. What do you think? I think yes, it is right to make exceptions.

I seem to remember you defending the protesters for breaking various laws because it was 'civil disobedience.' Is it OK to make an exception for them to block intersections and such?

I seem to remember you defending the protesters for breaking various laws because it was 'civil disobedience.' Is it OK to make an exception for them to block intersections and such?

rsbm --

Hold on there. I don't ever recall saying that it was ok to break the law. I do believe that people have an absolute right to protest legally, though. So I'll ask you to take that back.

I hope you'll remember that you've stated it's ok to make exceptions with regard to obeying the law. I hope you'll own up to that.

If they had been found not guilty then I would see it in a different light. IF he was innocent and just went through the trial then it would be unfair to punch him. I suppose if he had been found Not Guilty and the father thought he was guilty then he would still be very angry. But if that were the case he would not have to punch him on camera in the court house.

In some States, people are indeed executed for killing children. It hasn't acted as detterent.
In most places a lifetime in prison is the sentence. It hasn't led to fewer child deaths.

Is it possible that we should add a new sentence of a short period in jail for the non killing charges and 15 minutes in a room with a single family member of the child?

Would you want to be that family member?
Do you think it would lessen child deaths?

Personally, I understand why he did it, I couldn't personally do it. I think that not acting on violent impulses is what separates me from the 'killers' here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back