GUILTY MI - Jesse Miles, 69, shot to death, Niles Twp, 7 March 2010

Miss Iz -

With my daughter, she had early onset. She wasn't diagnosed until some years later, but I believe she was triggered at the age of 5 when my father passed away. They were completely devoted to each other and his death just blew her off the planet. It could equally have been the sexual abuse she suffered at age 3. Or more likely, a combination of both. I think her mind was just too young to be able to process these issues and it began to manifest itself in mental illness years before we even knew about the abuse.

Just wanted you to know that I will look at this article once I am rested.

kbl--Thank you for sharing that. I would think that you'd be a little more willing to accept that the frontal lobe does not heal very easily or re-wire itself. Once damaged, it's damaged. Being that you did spend time with special needs kids of all varieties, I'm sure you must have seen this scenario.

I'm trying to make the point that there's lots of possibilities here....and none will bring this Papa back. It could be a brain disorder from birth, it could be the sudden onset of mental illness which was exacerbated by the death of a friend, or it could be teen naivete/stupidity. I don't know if we'll ever know. It's just tragic.

And FWIW, there's about a million different reasons why kids qualify for special ed. I'm glad (I hope you are too) that you got the help you needed. Our son, who's in college was on an IEP/IFSP from age 2 onward. He's in college now and studying criminology. I'm literally blown away as I secretly did not think he could pull it off, and live 250 miles away from home. He, obviously rose above his crack cocaine exposure, premature birth, abandonment by his birth family and his sexual abuse to excel. His saving grace is soccer. Even though he's blind in one eye, he's one of the fastest strikers that our state has ever seen. I can't tell you how many times coaches have told me that he's the only young man they've seen who was faster than the ball. He never gives up.

But I think you and he are the rare successes. I celebrate you both.

to be honest im not even sure now what my problem was. i will tell you, when i was in kindergarden, all i remember is, cause i was left handed, they tried to make me cut with the left handed scissors, which i could not do. i guess it didnt dawn on them (and i wouldnt know since i was FIVE) that i was actually a tad ambidextrious. turns out i write with my left and cut with my right.

later in elementry school they wondered about my physical balance. what? to this day i still dont get that. i always got a's in gym and to this day am still physically fit.

a big issue for me has always been my penminship. i guess i should have been a doctor ;)

by the time i got to 11th grade someone finally said 'whats he doing here' and not only was i gone from spec ed classes i was moving up from standard classes to a bit more advanced.

but i will tell you, the kids i met in special ed class always tried hard and never complained that i can remember.

maybe i just see things diffrently from being in that position.

maybe i dont see them as hopeless causes, cause i never saw myself as one.

we see autistic and mentally retarded people lead productive, even normal lives.

i just can not see giving up on people due to the circumstances of there birth, or making excuses for it if they become criminals. that is just not in my nature or in my heart.

kbl - It was neat that you mentioned the thing about the left hand. My daughter is the same exact way. She writes left-handed, but does many things right-handed. We always attributed it to the fact that both my husband and I are right-handed, so we struggled with how to teach her things with the other hand. LOL Like cutting her meat at dinner.

When kids are younger alot of times they claim to have this imaginery friend. That friend could be the one talking to them, however as the child get older, that imaginery friend will eventually dissapear.

If the child is still hearing voices as they grow up, and they have NOT experienced any trauma in there lives, then it can be early onset of schizophrenia..

But if they undergo abuse, and terauma in there child hood, then those voices could be a coping mechanism to get through that. This is called Dissociative Identity Disorder. This is not a disorder that can be treated with meds. This is considered INTENSIVE therapy.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2012/02/03/local_news/8449313.txt

Published: Friday, February 3, 2012 1:09 PM EST

The question of whether another expert witness should have been called earlier lies at the heart of a hearing on whether Eliason, convicted in 2010 of murdering his stepgrandfather, should get a new trial.

Eliason appealed his conviction, and the case was remanded back to Berrien County Trial Court last fall for a hearing on whether or not he received adequate counsel. The hearing began in early December and was continued and concluded Thursday.

Judge Schofield set Feb. 27 as the date for his appeal, Jonathan Sacks of Detroit, has to file a closing argument brief and gave Wild a week later, March 5, to submit hers.

He will then make a ruling at some point after that. The defense's goal in asking for a new trial is for Eliason to be convicted of second-degree murder so that he would have a chance for parole.

The killer/kid never looks remorseful and always looked sullen in every picture or footage I have seen. Not sure the jury wanted him to get out on parole later...

What caused Dakotah Eliason to snap? Doctor says reports missing an answer to why he would suddenly kill his stepgrandfather
http://www.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2012/02/03/local_news/8449313.txt

"I disagree with the idea that there would be an emotional expression if he had a conscience," he said. "There is no evidence that he doesn't have a conscience. When one is dissociative, there won't be an expression of emotion."

NILES - An expert on the effects of childhood trauma said he would want to know why a boy who never harmed anyone would suddenly and violently kill someone he loves.

Dr. James Henry, an expert witness from Western Michigan University, told a Berrien County Trial Court judge Thursday that earlier evaluation reports about Dakotah Eliason did not answer that question.

I must say I agree. Guys there's a lot of information in this article. His biological mother abandoned him, his father was emotionally distant. He had several traumas in a row very quickly. Having raised 2 older children who we adopted this can cause total dissociation from reality.

Look at him, he is not in our world. I don't see the face of a cold blooded killer with no conscience, I see Dissociation. I don't believe I've see that look since I worked at a hospital for behavior disordered and emotionally disturbed children who were on Thorazine. There's a lot of family stuff here too that's not been addressed.

He did have severe problems and still does and he needs treatment. I hope they give this Dr. a chance. These children hurt the ones who mean the most to them.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...cle_4538d38b-faa1-54e8-81a5-ca1e753153e8.html

Dakotah Eliason, who was 14 years old when he shot and killed his step-grandfather, should know by late May whether he'll have a chance to get out of prison some day...

The action came in response to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 2012 that stated that juvenile offenders cannot automatically be sentenced to life without parole. The justices said that mitigating factors such as chronological and emotional age, family and home environment, the circumstances of the crime and the chances for rehabilitation must be considered.

At the conclusion of Friday's hearing in Berrien County, Schofield said that he expects to rule by late May on whether he plans to give Eliason a chance for parole. Eliason's resentencing is scheduled for June 26.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back