MI MI - Laurie Murninghan, 16, Lansing, 9 July 1970

Patrick, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister and the horrible aftermath perpetrated by apparently incompetent LE.

Since your father was himself a politician, and lived until 2000, did he have any pull with any LE to have anything done on Laurie's behalf? Did your parents try in vain all those years to get justice on Laurie's behalf?

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss and wish you the best on finding some kind of justice and/or resolution.

Heart,
Thanks. Unfortunately, both of my parents internalized their grief. It pretty much destroyed them. Not much was known about grief counseling back in 1970.

In 1990, after learning of my meeting with the police captain, my father confided to me that he was originally told about the suspect, but because of a lack of evidence, he could never be convicted. He was also told, as I was in 1973, that the suspect was already incarcerated for another crime, and would be for a long time. My father also believed that the suspect was killed while in prison in 1978. I never told him of any of my later discoveries throughout the 1990's. He sufferred from Alzheimers until his death in 2000.

The murder was such a shock to the whole community, I think most people remained passive, not wanting to think such a thing could happen in their neighborhood. For this, and many other reasons, is why authorities have succeeded in eluding accountability.

Patrick, I'm so sorry to hear that. It's truly a travesty of justice. How such a could elude authorities and continue perpetrating crimes over and over for years is a very sad commentary on our justice system.

If you ever have time, you might want to drop by the Anna Waters forum here on WS. Her story is different than your sister's, but it might comfort you to see how another family has handled their loss. Their daughter, Anna, was abducted from their front yard in Half Moon Bay, CA, back in 1973, at the age of 5, and has never been seen again. Anna's mom, her brothers, her ex-stepfather and her uncle all post on the forum. It's an intriguing story with many twists and turns but, sadly, still no resolution. Anna hasn't been seen in over 33 years.

At any rate, welcome to WS, and I pray that you find some peace within yourself over the tragic loss of your sister.

Here is a recent mention of Laurie's murder which was published in the Lansing State Journal (Lansing, Michigan). It followed other stories which reported the discovery of the body of a 7 year-old boy who had been missing since July 2005 (35 years after Laurie's abduction and murder.

It is doubtful that the two cases are connected, except in the coincidental location of bodies and the coincidental dates.

The writer might have more information regarding the case. He obviously knows the exact location where Laurie's body was found.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Body also found at game area in 1970
By Hugh Leach
Lansing State Journal
Published January 29, 2006

DANSVILLE - Friday was not the first time hopes were tragically dashed in the 5,000-acre Dansville State Game Area.In July 1970, the body of 16-year-old Laurie Murninghan was found on the edge of the game area at Barnes and Meridian roads.She had been kidnapped during a robbery at the Lansing gift and antique shop

The spot where she was found is just over two miles from where Ricky Holland, the 7-year-old Williamston boy missing since July, was found Friday.

Laurie, daughter of former Lansing Mayor Max Murninghan, had been missing for 11 days and was the object of one of the most extensive police manhunts ever held in mid-Michigan.

Three boys searching for returnable pop bottles along the road found her body in a swampy pond in a heavily wooded section of the game area. She had been strangled.

Her killer was never found.

Contact Hugh Leach at 377-1119 or hleach@lsj.com.

Source:
Lansing State Journal

Link:
http://lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060129/NEWS01/601290648&SearchID=73234033461917

I mentined this in a previous post, but the below information is contained on a website titled Memorial Wall For Murder Victims. I do not know who submitted the information to that website, but the particulars of her death mentioned were never reported in the news media, or released by police.
----------------------------------------------

Laurie D. Murninghan

Lansing, Michigan
February 18, 1954 - July 9, 1970
Kidnapped, raped and strangled
No charges have been filed

Source:
Memorial Wall For Murder Victims

Link:
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/wall/wall2.html

This article has been posted and mentioned previously, but I thought that I would post it again. Patrick refers to the exhumation of Laurie's body and the fact that DNA tests were conducted. As mentioned, the police definitely had a suspect at the time. The odd thing is that there has been no follow up by any newspaper on this story, and apparently no interest by the editor of the State News (see a previous post). Michigan State Police conducted the DNA tests, yet they refer all inquiries to the Lansing Police Department.

---------------------------------
From the State News:
(newspaper of Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan)
11 September 2001
Detectives collected hair samples from a man they say is a suspect in the 31-year-old death of Lansing’s Laurie Murninghan.

Murninghan, the daughter of former Lansing Mayor Max Murninghan, was abducted July 7, 1970, from her job at Gallagher’s Gifts and Antiques Shop in Lansing.

Police discovered hair that didn’t belong to her after her body was exhumed Aug. 8.

DNA tests using the collected hair samples from the 54-year-old suspect will likely connect him to the case or clear him of any wrongdoing, said Lt. Ray Hall of the Lansing Police Department.

Hall said it could take weeks or months for results to come back from the Michigan State Police Forensic Science Division laboratory performing the tests.
“This is an exciting time to work in law enforcement,” Hall said. “We’re able to open up cases and determine whether there is any potential of investigation. (DNA) serves purposes to eliminate suspects and identify suspects.

“It can bring closure for the community and the family.”

JAMIE GUMBRECHT

Source:
The State News - www.statenews.com

Link:
http://www.statenews.com/pbriefs.phtml?date=1000180800

Richard,

Thanks for your continued interest. I'll just respond to your recent posts.

I was living back in Lansing until recently. I followed the Ricky Holland case with great sorrow. When they finally discovered his body, it was like deja-vu, except, its never left my mind. Every year I try to place flowers at the sight where Laurie was found, as well as at the gift shop she was abducted from. Laurie's killer was familiar with this area because he used to ride horses from a nearby stable with his older sisters when he was a kid.

I posted the message on the Memorial Wall during a particularly angry period, after communicating with the editor of the Lansing State Journal. I tried to interest him in the many discrepancies of previous reports that they had published. I also tried to incourage him to investigate a few things that I won't mention here, mainly a couple of interviews, but his response was that he doesn't have the budget to do so. Whoa. So much for local media.

As for the State Police Crime Lab being used, thats another strange story. Initially, the local authorities in charge of the exhumation stated that they weren't going to use the State Lab, but rather the FBI's which had more advanced testing methods, (despite the fact that the State Lab was brand new and one of the most technologically advanced at the time). I'm not sure when, or if, the State Lab got into the mix. I remember the day they exhumed her body they immediately declared that they had found a couple of hairs that they knew weren't from Laurie. Rather shocking when you consider that her body was badly decomposed after spending 10 days submerged, face down in a swamp, over 31 years ago. The testing was, apparently, finally conducted by the Dept. of Defense(?), and shown to be inconclusive. The hairs no longer exist after having been used up during the testing process(?).

Patrick H. Murningha said:
..... I remember the day they exhumed her body they immediately declared that they had found a couple of hairs that they knew weren't from Laurie. Rather shocking when you consider that her body was badly decomposed after spending 10 days submerged, face down in a swamp, over 31 years ago. The testing was, apparently, finally conducted by the Dept. of Defense(?), and shown to be inconclusive. The hairs no longer exist after having been used up during the testing process(?).
Patrick,

Were you ever able to obtain a copy of the Coroner/Autopsey report? That is something which you should have. Also, what physical evidence was obtained by law enforcement regarding the suspect?

I recall that there was a description and sketch of the guy, and also that the news stated that Laurie was killed with a small caliber bullet to the head. Do you know if that is true, and if so, was a bullet recovered? Were there any fingerprints at the scene? Any footprints, cigarette butts, etc??

If this guy is "on the streets" today, is he listed in any of the sexual preditor data bases?

Richard,

Laurie was strangled, not shot. While in the gift shop, where Laurie worked for an old friend of our grandmother, the suspect hit the proprieter, Ms. Gallagher, over the head with his gun, which then discharged a bullet harmlessly into the ceiling. The belief was that he may have thought he had killed Ms. Gallagher, so he took Laurie. Suspect had actually purchased a small rug from the store when Laurie had filled out his receipt and given him his change. Then he pulled out his gun and struck Ms. Gallagher on the head, who was standing right next to Laurie because, as she later explained, was suspicious of his character. The composite given by Ms. Gallagher to the sketch artist produced an acurate discription of the suspect. She also picked him out of the mug book as well as a line-up, but the authorites would later claim she was uncertain of her choices.

Just prior to entering the gift shop the suspect was in the pharmacy right next door, where he also drew the suspicion of the pharmacist. Because the suspect had respritory problems, he had picked up a box containing an inhaler of some kind. The fingerprints that were later taken from that box matched those of the suspects.

I read the original autopsy report when I first began my inquiry back in 1990. I also have copies of several other reports, including the DNA tests, the lie detector tests supposedly taken by the man in Monroe, Michigan who requested the photo of Laurie's grave back in 1993, (shortly after the suspect had moved to that area), which, surpisingly, only consisted of four short questions in which Laurie was referred to as "Laura". I also have a copy of the interview with another inmate that the suspect had confessed to raping and killing Laurie, as well as a copy of a lengthy interrogation of suspect by two detectives just days after Laurie's murder. Suspect was being held in county jail on the previously mentioned rape charges of the two 14 year old girls from four months earlier.
I was told that he was held on these charges for 9 or 10 months while they tried to find evidence against him for Laurie's murder, yet he was never tried for this, nor does this arrest/incarceration appear on his record.

As I mentioned before, authorities did claim to still have a cigarrette butt from the scene where Laurie's body was found and the DNA test done on that was inconclusive. To my knowledge, he's not on any sex offender site and lives quite secure in the belief that he will never be incarcerated for Laurie, or any of his many other crimes that he's been previously arrested for, including, armed robbery, attempted murder and numerous other assaultive crimes.

Hope this answers a few of your questions.

Patrick,

Thank you. This is more information than I have ever seen or heard about this case. You have answered some of my questions, but they only lead to more questions. The most obvious one being "Why wasn't he prosecuted?"

It would be very interesting to see where this guy has been over the past 36 years and to see what other coincidences there are which connect him to similar crimes.

Richard,

Your right about more questions instead of answers. Why he was never prosecuted is certainly the biggest, and most obvious question. Why was he never charged for the kidnapping and rape of the two 14 year olds in February, 1970? The father of one of the girls filed a complaint. The suspect, at the very least, should have been returned to prison on a parole violation for that. I can only surmise that authorities decided that this heroin addict, with a history of violence, was more valuable as a drug informant then the risk he posed to the community.
They made a deal with the devil, and rather admit it, they've continued to protect those that made such fatal decisions so long ago.

.... Why was he never charged for the kidnapping and rape of the two 14 year olds in February, 1970? The father of one of the girls filed a complaint. The suspect, at the very least, should have been returned to prison on a parole violation for that. ....
Do you have any specifics on this abduction? Was there any press coverage?

Richard,

Sorry for the delay, I've been on the road.

No, there was no coverage of this incident. I do have a copy of the original police report/complaint, filed by one of the fathers, that, supposedly, was turned over to the state police due to the multi-jurisdiction involved. Thats where the record of it happening ends. Similar to the FBI having no record or file on their initial investigation, (which was quite extensive), on Laurie's case either.

... I do have a copy of the original police report/complaint, filed by one of the fathers, that, supposedly, was turned over to the state police due to the multi-jurisdiction involved. Thats where the record of it happening ends. Similar to the FBI having no record or file on their initial investigation, (which was quite extensive), on Laurie's case either.
I think that the term "Multi-Jursidiction" may be a key. If it is Everybody's job, then Everybody thinks Somebody will do it, but in the end it is Nobody who does it.

I have a strong feeling that you may have simply asked the wrong person at the FBI for their records of investigation. You might write up a formal letter addressed to the Director of the FBI, siting the Freedom of Information Act, and including as many specifics as you can. Such information as the exact dates, place, names of any FBI officials that you recall etc. would help. Specifics make it easier for them to look up records, and harder to deny any FBI involvement.

I wasn't the only one that asked. Years ago, I spoke with a retired detective, (from another jurisdiction in the state), who asked a former partner of his to inquire into Laurie's case, through his Washington contacts. This partner reported back, so I was told, that there was no file/information on Laurie's case, as if it never happened. Even more bizarre, there appeared to be absolutely no sign, or record, of any DNA testing done in any federal facility.

When the suspect was arrested on this complaint in February, 1970, the Lansing detective did contact suspects parole agent, (remember, he had been released from prison early, just the previous month), and the record shows that the agents response was, "let me know if you convict him, then I'll violate him."
Among the many copies of reports I have from the original investigation in 1970 are records that cleary show FBI involvement, including names of the agents. Like so many before and since, I lost contact with this retired detective soon after their initial discovery.

...When the suspect was arrested on this complaint in February, 1970, the Lansing detective did contact suspects parole agent, (remember, he had been released from prison early, just the previous month), and the record shows that the agents response was, "let me know if you convict him, then I'll violate him." ....
This is kind of like sitting in front of a cold stove and saying to it, "Give me heat, and then I'll put in the wood."

You are right about the handling of this case seeming to be more than a bit odd. However, I also believe that there must be files and records somewhere - and they are probably extensive.

There was a very recent case profiled on TV about a 1969 murder which was solved by new DNA testing. The victim was long believed to have been killed by John Norman Collins, who murdered a number of co-eds in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti Michigan area in 1969. The man convicted recently was not Collins and probably not connected to him in any way.

Perhaps the officers who solved that one would be interested in looking into Laurie's case.

Anyone, (which includes investigators from various jurisdictions, mostly in Michigan), that I've ever succeeded in inquiring about this case have all, every one of them, stopped all communication with me soon after their initial inquiry.

The thing that has bothered me about that recent conviction that you mentioned in Ann Arbor, was the blood that was found on the victim belonged to a young boy who was not anywhere near the victim, thereby suggesting that the DNA evidence was somehow contaminated. Yet he was convicted, purely on the DNA.

There was alot more evidence pointing at Laurie's killer, but it was either ignored, removed, buried or lost.

Anyone, (which includes investigators from various jurisdictions, mostly in Michigan), that I've ever succeeded in inquiring about this case have all, every one of them, stopped all communication with me soon after their initial inquiry.....
While upsetting and frustrating, I have found that this is very often the case with law enforcement officers that I contact. They may call back to return a phone call, but very seldom initiate calls with updates, questions, etc. And this is not because there is any kind of conspiracy, but perhaps just the way they operate. I am speaking of numerous cases throughout the country, not just one specific one.

Some officers have explained to me that they do not like to contact family members unless they have some solid leads or suspects. Even when there is a possibility of doing DNA comparisons, there seems to be a reluctance by law enforcement to make contact with the family.

Case officers change and new ones are always taking over cold cases. There is always a "learning curve" as they become familiar with the new cases. As such, there is an opportunity for you to speak to new officers with new perspectives and interests.

Be persistant and keep asking questions. Sooner or later you will aske the right ones of the right person.

It was very disturbing to learn that the man from Monroe, Michigan requested the photo of Laurie's gravesite, just six or so months after her killer had moved to that area. It was more disturbing to learn that after having been informed of this request by a city employee at the cemetery, LPD did nothing to investigate the reason behind this mans interest. I learned of this almost two years later, in April of 1996.

Soon after, I went down to talk with two detectives and asked if they might check this guy out. I told them I was certain that he wasn't an old classmate of Laurie's, as he had told the lady that sent him the picture, and because he lived within miles of where her known killer had recently moved to,(100 or so miles from Lansing), it was hard to believe that this was coincidental. I told the detectives that I had met with the captain back in 1990. I also told them that I not only knew the identity of Laurie's killer, but his social security number, date of birth, and of course, his most recent known address near Monroe. I did not tell them how I acquired this information but they were cordial nonetheless. They told me that they would check him out and get back to me within a couple weeks.

They never did.

After a few weeks I tried to reach them but my messages were ignored. Then, a few months later on July 6th, 1996, one of the detectives, Dan O'Brien, approached me in a Lansing restaurant. The first thing I said to him was why hadn't he gotten back with me about this man in Monroe? What he said shocked me. "We've been waiting for you to call us back with his social security number and date of birth." That was pretty disturbing, but then it got worse. O'Brien continued with, "I can't believe your family didn't have **** whacked years ago."

From that moment on, my life has been one long struggle. To have a detective say this to me just goes against everything I've ever believed in. The struggle between your conscience and sense of whats right, against loss of all hope that justice will prevail unless you, and you alone, seek vengence for you sister's murder. Every single day I've struggled with the notion that I'm a coward for not taking the law into my own hands.

I returned to Lansing after twenty years, out of a deep sense of concern for my parents well being. I've been living a nightmare ever since. I finally left Lansing this spring, and after a few months in Ann Arbor, I came out to Colorado on the invitation of an old friend. I arrived here in Boulder just three days before the JonBenet Ramsey case returned to national headlines with the faux admissions of John Karr, and was reminded of yet another irony surrounding Laurie's murder. My grandfather, Joe Planck, was a lawyer in Lansing his entire career. During a brief period in the 1950's, he brought into his small practice a bright young lawyer named James Ramsey, John's father, and JonBenet's grandfather.

It appears that the horrible acts against the grandaughters of those two, long ago Lansing law partners, will never be explained.

But however faint, hope still flickers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back