MI MI - Laurie Murninghan, 16, Lansing, 9 July 1970

This year marks 45 years since the murder of Laurie Murninghan. It has also been 45 years since the disappearance of 13 year-old Cynthia Coon from Ann Arbor, Michigan (19 January 1970). I wonder if these two cases might be connected in some way?

What was the name and record of the convict who died in 1992 and who was considered by police to be a prime suspect in the Laurie Murninghan case? Perhaps knowing more about him might help solve this and other cases.

Richard, I want to say that I remember what happened. I'll always remember Laurie....just wanted you to know that.

I just spoke to my aunt and my dad the other day about the creepy house in Okemos that my grandpa used to live in during the late 60s/early 70s. He was a grounds keeper for Michigan State. This is the first time I've heard of this in my life- they told me that they found bloody clothes in the woods by the house. I prodded for an address but my aunt could not remember and said that the house has since been torn down. They contacted authorities and found out that he clothing belonged to Laurie. If anyone has more questions that I could ask my family about this that may help the case please let me know.

Brotherfudz, The Lansing paper posted his obit in 2007. Just his name and that he died in SanDiego. But since I was told by police in 1990 that they were certain he was killed in 1988, and my father had been told in1976 that he had been killed while in prison, I take any news of his death cautiously. Thank you all.

Hi Patrick. This is going to sound very strange but my husband is retired from Lansing Police Department. He worked for the Parks Department when Laurie was killed and actually dug her grave. I wonder sometimes if that may have been an influencing factor for him to join the PD. Anyway, I'm going to talk to him tonight and let him know that I stumbled upon this post while looking for a trainer for a conference next year (I put together training's for victim advocates in Prosecutor Offices). I'm not sure if he knows any of the answers you are looking for but I will run it by him. God bless you and your family. You've had a long road of grief. (((Hugs)))

This case is far from closed as far as I have ever seen. Laurie was abducted during the course of a store robbery in which the store owner was pistol whipped (but survived). She was missing for several days and the story was a prominent one in the news. Her body was finally found in a pond near Lansing, Michigan. This all occurred in July 1970. Next month will mark the 48 year anniversary of her murder.

Laurie Murninghan
In the summer of 1970, 16-year-old Laurie Murninghan, the daughter of Lansing's onetime mayor, Max Murninghan, was at work at a Lansing gift shop.

636427380896144048-Laurie-Murningham.jpg

Laurie Murninghan was taken from a Lansing gift shop in 1970. Her abduction remains unsolved.
(Photo: LSJ file photo)

A man walked in with a gun and demanded money. He struck the store's owner in the head and fired his gun into the ceiling. Police had a theory that the robber thought he shot the owner so he panicked.

The man took $64 in cash from the store and led Murninghan out at gunpoint.

Eleven days later, her body was found in a wooded, swampy area south of Mason. Police said she had been strangled.

Murninghan's killing drew national attention and officials had at one point identified a suspect, but he was never charged. It was an extensive investigation and they even injected the suspect with a so-called "truth serum," a once-accepted practice, to no avail.

The man served prison time in an unrelated case and died before police and prosecutors could make a case in the Murninghan killing, officials have said.

LINK:

Serial killers, unsolved homicides: A look at some of Lansing's infamous cases

July 9, 1970: 16-year-old Laurie Murninghan, the daughter of former Lansing Mayor Max Murninghan, was kidnapped from her place of work, Gallaghers Gift & Antiques Shop, on Saginaw Street and found dead over a week later.

Around 2pm, a man came into the store attempting a robbery; he struck the owner, Mrs. Gallagher, on the head with his pistol, accidentally discharging the gun. In a panic, thinking he killed Mrs. Gallagher, he grabbed Laurie and dragged her out of the store. Fortunately, Mrs. Gallagher was only knocked out and upon regaining consciousness, reported the incident to the police, giving a full description of the robber (who got away with approximately between $60-$80)..

After searching to no avail for over a week, Laurie's body was found on July 20 by some young boys who were walking near Barnes and Meridian Roads, looking for empty pop bottles...the report states Laurie was shot in the head with a small caliber pistol.

Meanwhile, Mrs.Gallagher had been looking through the police mug shots until she came across one that she was sure was the guilty man...however, the authorities said her identification of the man was not positive proof.

The suspect in question did have a long police record of similar arrests over the years and even his fingerprints were found in the drug store next door, but not in the Gallagher's shop. However, the suspect's mom gave him an alibi.....and during a lineup, Mrs. Gallagher could not positively identify him, thanks to his shaving off his goatee.

The suspect had been arrested on other counts of kidnapping but was never charged or imprisoned.....this is what baffles cold case workers. If he is still alive he is somewhere in his early 70's and is reported to reside in a homeless shelter...

LINK:

UNSOLVED LANSING CRIMES: The Murder of Laurie Murninghan

In the summer of 1970, Laurie Murninghan — the 16-year-old daughter of former Lansing Mayor Max Murninghan — was kidnapped following a botched jewelry store heist at Gallagher’s Gifts and Antiques on the city’s west side.

Laurie Murnighan’s body was found a week later in a pond near Bath. The case, like so many in Lansing, has never been solved. It’s the vexing part of a trail gone cold. It lends itself to the lawman wisdom that the more time that passes after a homicide, the less likely the chance of a resolution.

While the Murninghan case, which is being reexamined by the Lansing Police Department, is a notorious four-decade-old killing, even a murder committed last year can pose a mystery. Of the 12 homicides in Lansing in 2012, five remain open cases, with no solid arrests.

But if you’d think that Lansing police keep a ready file or spreadsheet of cold cases, you’d be mistaken. In fact, if you’ve lost a loved one to homicide in the past decade and the crime is unsolved, it will cost you plenty to find out if the case is even on any kind of list...

LINK:
Buried Cases: Lansing Police Department's lack of Cold Case organization

Hi all -

I became aware of the unsolved murder of Laurie Murningham through an article in the Lansing City Pulse on unsolved homicides and the LPD Cold Cases Unit a couple of years ago. I found this website and saw that various people have posted on it over the years about this case. I am taking a web development class and was considering developing a web page to inform the public about the murder and to, hopefully, provide a communication channel to the LPD Cold Case unit. I don't see anything much going on with cold case investigations in general in Lansing, MI, and haven't seen anything in the media about that unit for some time. The detective identified in the article in 2014 appears to no longer be with the LPD. I would hope they would keep the Murningham family informed about developments. I live in the Lansing area and am a psychotherapist, but working fewer hours in my late fifties. My thought was to provide a simple site with information about the crime and direct the public to the appropriate party at the LPD with information, tips, etc. If any of you have any thoughts about this, I would love to hear them.

Hi all -

I became aware of the unsolved murder of Laurie Murningham through an article in the Lansing City Pulse on unsolved homicides and the LPD Cold Cases Unit a couple of years ago. I found this website and saw that various people have posted on it over the years about this case. I am taking a web development class and was considering developing a web page to inform the public about the murder and to, hopefully, provide a communication channel to the LPD Cold Case unit. I don't see anything much going on with cold case investigations in general in Lansing, MI, and haven't seen anything in the media about that unit for some time. The detective identified in the article in 2014 appears to no longer be with the LPD. I would hope they would keep the Murningham family informed about developments. I live in the Lansing area and am a psychotherapist, but working fewer hours in my late fifties. My thought was to provide a simple site with information about the crime and direct the public to the appropriate party at the LPD with information, tips, etc. If any of you have any thoughts about this, I would love to hear them.

Hi Chris, and welcome to Websleuths. Laurie's case has been considered "cold" for the past 50 years as far as officially identifying her killer and apprehending him.

The Lansing Police Department does have a cold case unit which only consists of one investigator. He/she has many cold cases on the books. Of note is that these cases are only ones in which a victim's body was found and the cause of death was known to be homicide. It does NOT include missing persons cases.

On certain occasions, a multi-jurisdictional task force will be created by the Governor to investigate a series of murders, or a high profile case involving multiple jurisdictions. This was the case back in 1969 when the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti Co-ed Murders were occurring.

There is currently a continuing statewide Michigan Cold Case task force which deals with cases across the state involving various jurisdictions. This task force has a number of selected cases to deal with, and is one to which old, unsolved cases can be referred.

Links:

Cold Case Unit | Lansing, MI

Richard -

Thanks so much for your reply. Do you have happen to know who the current LPD investigator is for the cold case unit? That sounds inadequate, i.e., having one person responsible for all cold cases for Lansing. I will have to research the statewide task force. It seems odd to me that a person abducted in broad daylight, and a member of a prominent family at that, could be murdered and recovered and then have an investigation that never goes anywhere. Moreover, this case does not seem to be known at all in the area. At any rate, I appreciate you taking the time to respond and provide information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back