GUILTY MI - Mariha Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011

Amber Alert

The Detroit Police Department is investigating an incident of an endangered missing child MARIHA TRENICE SMITH from 3827 Burlingame Street, Detroit, Michigan.

MARIHA TRENICE SMITH's description is as follows: black female, 5 years old, 2 feet 5 inches, 26 pounds black eyes and black hair and was wearing a Black t-shirt with pink flowers on it and blue jean pants.

MARIHA TRENICE SMITH was last seen by her mother sleeping on the family home floor between 3:00am and noon on Sunday July 24, 2011.

The Detroit Police Department says MARIHA TRENICE SMITH was allegedly abducted from her residence by an unknown abductor between 3:00am-12:00pm on Sunday July 24, 2011.

If you have any information on the alleged victim or abductor IMMEDIATELY telephone 911 or Detroit Police Department at 313-596-5900.

download-image.do

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/AmberExternalFCServlet?act=retAmberCase&amberId=8770

BBM This sounds very odd to me. My 5 year old daughter is small, born at 3lbs and been small all her life. At 4 ft 6 inches she is tall, but very very thin, and she weighs 32 lbs. Sounds to me like this girl is way too little.

I hope the precious girl is safe and sound somewhere. Praying.

BBM This sounds very odd to me. My 5 year old daughter is small, born at 3lbs and been small all her life. At 4 ft 6 inches she is tall, but very very thin, and she weighs 32 lbs. Sounds to me like this girl is way too little.

I hope the precious girl is safe and sound somewhere. Praying.

I was thinking the same thing... No remotely healthy 5 year old is 29 inches; for comparison's sake, many full term babies are *born* 20-22 inches long. But, actually, this figure is SO off that I'm wondering if it's from her last dr's appointment and she hasn't been to the dr in 3 years or something? I mean, in the picture, her head looks a little big for her body, but she doesn't look emaciated/like she has a medical condition.

ETA: I just checked and 2 foot 5 would put her at less than the 3rd percentile for height... for a TWO year old. Uhm, WTF? Maybe it's a typo. If she was 3 foot 5 and 32 pounds she'd be small for a 5 year old, but it's at least possible.

Either it is horrible fact gathering / reporting, or the parents really have no idea how tall their daughter is. Either one is possible. We've seen horribly "off" numbers for height/weight before.

I think Mariha looks like a pretty average 5-year-old, personally.

MARIHA SMITH, Age Now: 5, Missing: 07/24/2011. Missing From DETROIT, MI. ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT: Detroit Police Department (Michigan) 1-313-596-1000.

Case Type: Endangered Missing

Circumstances: Mariha was last seen sleeping at home on the morning of July 24, 2011. She may be wearing a black short sleeved shirt with pink flowers and blue jean pants. She was last seen with pink beads in her hair.

More...

NCMC1176368c1.jpg

I think they are just way off in their estimates.

They're starting to consider the connection now, too.

Child's remains found in burned out home; amber alert issued for 5-year-old girl

The charred remains of a young child were found Sunday within hours of a report of a missing child who disappeared approximately one mile from the horrific discovery.

Detroit Police right now are saying they do not have evidence to link the incidents. The missing case and the body found are being investigated separately.

[snip]

Action News spoke with family members who say the little girl was snatched from the living room where she slept. We’re told a fan placed in an open window was pushed out of the way as the kidnapper grabbed her from the home.

The family says Mariah was last seen before her mother and other relatives went to bed.

Family of the missing girl say they believe the abduction was in connection with a feud the little girl’s mother was having with another man.

More: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/child-found-dead-in-home

Child's remains found in burned out home; amber alert issued for 5-year-old girl

The charred remains of a young child were found Sunday within hours of a report of a missing child who disappeared approximately one mile from the horrific discovery.

Detroit Police right now are saying they do not have evidence to link the incidents. The missing case and the body found are being investigated separately.

[snip]

Action News spoke with family members who say the little girl was snatched from the living room where she slept. We’re told a fan placed in an open window was pushed out of the way as the kidnapper grabbed her from the home.

The family says Mariah was last seen before her mother and other relatives went to bed.

Family of the missing girl say they believe the abduction was in connection with a feud the little girl’s mother was having with another man.

Oh God, and with the child found in the burned house, a neighbor saw a man walking away.

This little sweetie has grabbed my heart, and I'm so worried about her. :(

MARIHA_TRENICE_SMITH_20110724213948_640_480.JPG

Gorgeous little girl. God bless and protect you, Mariha.

Either it is horrible fact gathering / reporting, or the parents really have no idea how tall their daughter is. Either one is possible. We've seen horribly "off" numbers for height/weight before.

I think Mariha looks like a pretty average 5-year-old, personally.

Yes, I agree, she looks perfectly normal from her pic. She does look younger than 5, but it could be an old pic.

She is a beautiful girl. That smile is so bright, I bet she brings a room alive.

There certainly isn't very much in the media about this likely non-family abduction.

Seems like they are waiting on the results of the autopsy from the child found in the fire. :(

Police are calling the fire arson.

The (medical examiner) report is expected to be released Monday.

Mariah Trenice Smith is 3'5" and weighs 40 pounds.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/child-found-dead-in-home

There's the clarification on her size... they were just wrong in what they initially reported.

So, the thinking is that his man she is feuding with kidnaps her little girl... puts her in this house a mile away and sets it on fire?

Is the house abandoned?

This is definitely weird.

They're starting to consider the connection now, too.

[snip]

So her mother and other family members go to bed at 3 am and don't wake up til noon the next day :(

Why would someone not sleep in the same room with her??? Who leaves a 5 year old in a room, at night, where a window is open??!!!!

This makes me so angry!

http://www.detnews.com/article/2011...ed-Detroit-house--fire-suspicious--chief-says

Some neighbors said that the two-family flat, at 2916 and 2918 Waverly, had been vacant for years, but that sometimes people would occupy the house in order to use drugs that were purchased at a crack house down the street.

"I guess they would go in there and smoke and all that kind of stuff," said Demetra Hawkins, 17, who lives two houses down.

The red and yellow brick house sits next to another empty house, and other vacant homes are scattered throughout the neighborhood.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110725...se--fire-suspicious--chief-says#ixzz1T5ltvgwJ

Police are calling the fire arson.

The (medical examiner) report is expected to be released Monday.

Mariah Trenice Smith is 3'5" and weighs 40 pounds.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/child-found-dead-in-home

There's the clarification on her size... they were just wrong in what they initially reported.

So, the thinking is that his man she is feuding with kidnaps her little girl... puts her in this house a mile away and sets it on fire?

Is the house abandoned?

This is definitely weird.

3am - Mariha last seen
6am - House set on fire
12 noon - Missing person report

Saw a video that indicated the house was abandoned and used as a drug house. I'll go find it.

‪Child's Body Found in Arson Fire‬‏ - YouTube

So her mother and other family members go to bed at 3 am and don't wake up til noon the next day :(

Why would someone not sleep in the same room with her??? Who leaves a 5 year old in a room, at night, where a window is open??!!!!

This makes me so angry!

Me too. I know we are not supposed to blame the victims and her family are victims. And I feel so badly for them. But it angers me because it is so thoughtless. I bet they would never leave their wallets or a pile of cash sitting in the middle of the floor @ 3 am next to an open window.

Last Updated: July 25. 2011 7:12AM
Police investigating whether found body is missing Detroit girl, 5

Police are checking to see if a young child found dead in a burning house Sunday is the child reported abducted from her mother's west side home earlier the same day.

snip

Broadcast media reports indicate that the mother and another man had been arguing and that could have led to Mariha's disappearance. The mother didn't think that was the case.

http://detnews.com/article/20110725...body-is-missing-Detroit-girl--5#ixzz1T7JxhDzX

Praying for Mariha

This is very upsetting. Its so disturbing how parents can not keep children safe. I live in a area with maybe one sex offender not for children either, that is maybe 10 miles away. And guess what. I lock my windows every night, upstairs and down, I double check them, and the doors. I live in an area that is reasonable priced. I know times are tough and people can't be to picky on where to live. I check on my kids at night time. I am sure I make mistakes. But I'm a parent who is at least trying to keep my babies safe.
It looks like it could be her. Taken to soon Mariha. There is only one victim in this case as far as I see it.

Investigators: Body in house fire matches missing girl's description
8:17 AM, Jul. 25, 2011

"The way I'm looking at it is, someone climbed through the window and took my daughter," Konesha Smith, 24, said this morning, searching the neighborhood around Burlingame Street. "I can't even close my eyes because my daughter's missing."

A Detroit Fire Department investigator said today that a body matching Mariha's description was discovered at 7:55 a.m. Sunday in a burning, abandoned home a few blocks away at 2918 Waverly.

Smith said police asked her to provide dental records for the investigation, and she and members of her family have agreed to take lie detector tests today to rule themselves out as suspects.

more at link

http://www.freep.com/article/201107...escription?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

I am heartbroken. Why? Why all these people killing these precious babies and children? God why?

more from article

Smith said after a get-together at the home Saturday night and into the wee hours of Sunday, Mariha was put to bed on the living room floor with three cousins at about 3 a.m.

Smith said she was asleep on the couch in the same room when someone took her little girl. She didn't realize Mariha was missing -- not watching cartoons in another room with her cousins -- until about 11 a.m.

snip

"They think I'm a suspect right now, and I told them I never had anything to do with my daughter missing," she said. "They said they don't understand how someone can go over your head and take your daughter. I wish I knew! So, hopefully, after I take a lie detector test, they'll get up and start looking for her. I'm praying they've been looking for her."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back