GUILTY MI - Paul DeWolf, 25, fatally shot in Ann Arbor frat house, 23 July 2013

Could this have been a murder-for-hire?

I guess I've watched too many tv shows, but when I think of "murder for hire", I imagine husbands/wives (for insurance $) and/or bad business deals. But, we know so little, I suppose anything is possible. Do you have any thoughts as to who/why with regard to motive?? Could it have been such a professional hit that the shooter used a silencer?? I can't quite figure out how no one heard a gunshot... even if he did live in a basement apt. Also, if the house was not fully occupied it would be quieter thus enabling the shot to be heard.

I cannot completely dismiss the burglar theory, but I think the reason so few clues have been found is that the killer
planned it that way.

An interesting question is: why shoot in the neck? was this a shot badly aimed in the general direction of the victim,
or a carefully chosen effective target?

I am going with a theory that this is a very well-planned, professional type of murderer. Maybe even a silencer was used. This was not this person's "first time at the rodeo" so to speak.
But if that's the case, they need to look at the victim's money situation.
Did he owe money or was in debt to anyone?

all :moo:

Maybe I watch too much NCIS...

but he was in the Air Force...

Air Force personnel are trained in weapons... Aren't they?

Just a thought...

Just a thought...

They didn't find any guns in his room.

For what reason? He was a medical student. Doesn't sound like someone who could be a target of murder for hire plot.

I always think "in debt" with regard to a med school student. But, I suppose it's possible there could be some sort of competition involving funds for medical research students and someone wanted Paul out of the running... but it's very difficult to believe this would be worth committing murder.

I always think "in debt" with regard to a med school student. But, I suppose it's possible there could be some sort of competition involving funds for medical research students and someone wanted Paul out of the running... but it's very difficult to believe this would be worth committing murder.

Yes, medical students are often in deep dept due to cost of education. But most medical students take out legit loans. Why would he do otherwise? Nobody is getting killed over legit loan from legit sources. Also, MDs generally are not doing research. PhDs are.

I'm going with jealousy motive/cherchez la femme, as first expressed by Tuba in #26 above. Male shooter though.

....and then my only other theory would be a very deep, dark secret along the lines of a lover that no one knew about.....and I'm not going to say anything else, iykwim?

Just a possible theory....

moo & :twocents:

For what reason? He was a medical student. Doesn't sound like someone who could be a target of murder for hire plot.

It does not sound like he could be a target of any type of murder.
And yet, he is dead. It is likely that there is a motive. Unfortunately
we don't know what it is.

The lack of evidence, the effectiveness of the murder, the fact
that nobody seems to have heard the shot, suggest
that perhaps the murderer was a pro. I still think that this possibility
is perhaps far-fetched, but could it be a murder-for-hire?

Yes, medical students are often in deep dept due to cost of education. But most medical students take out legit loans. Why would he do otherwise? Nobody is getting killed over legit loan from legit sources. Also, MDs generally are not doing research. PhDs are.

I'm not saying this research involved money/funds, but he did research work in 2011. I'm not sure but I think I read something (somewhere... don't have a link at the moment about ACL/Myostatin research)

Page 16 SBRP - The Impact of Diabetes Mellitus on Knee
Joint Pathology

http://www.med.umich.edu/medstudent...ch/2010_2012_faculty_mentors_and_students.pdf

** This did involve funding ACL

Now, researchers from the University of Michigan Health System have identified a new drug target that may prevent one of the most dreaded consequences of an ACL tear –the weakening or loss of muscle tissue (muscle atrophy) that can be a career-killer in sports and ultimately develop into osteoarthritis.

INFORMATION:

Additional authors: Evan B. Lynch, B.S.E.; Max E. Davis, B.A.; Elizabeth R. Sibilsky Enselman, ME.d.,A.T.C.; Julie A. Harning; Paul D. DeWolf, B.S.; Tarek A. Makki, B.S.

Funding: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases grant number AR058920

Disclosures: None

Reference: "Changes in Circulating Biomarkers of Muscle Atrophy, Inflammation and Cartilage Turnover in Patients Undergoing Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction and Rehabilitation," American Journal of Sports Medicine, DOI:10.1177/0363546513490651.

http://press-news.org/106993-after-...atments-to-improve-recovery-for-athletes.html

They didn't find any guns in his room.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone he had contact with in the Air Force...

Someone with training in weapons (and silencers?) ... And access to weapons...

May have had a beef with him for some reason...

The angle of a competitive medical student reminds me of when my DH...(BF at the time)... Was in pre-med....

it was amazing how students would sabotage other students' labs/research/etc. to get an "edge up"...

In fact... That is part of the reason why my DH decided not to pursue this field...

He was appalled at the lack of ethics in a field where ethics is so important...

(well... Ethics is important in ALL areas, of course... But in such a supposedly "helping" profession... It seems many medical students didn't find this to be so...)

JMO

I'm not saying this research involved money/funds, but he did research work in 2011. I'm not sure but I think I read something (somewhere... don't have a link at the moment about ACL/Myostatin research)

Page 16 SBRP - The Impact of Diabetes Mellitus on Knee
Joint Pathology

http://www.med.umich.edu/medstudent...ch/2010_2012_faculty_mentors_and_students.pdf

** This did involve funding ACL

Now, researchers from the University of Michigan Health System have identified a new drug target that may prevent one of the most dreaded consequences of an ACL tear –the weakening or loss of muscle tissue (muscle atrophy) that can be a career-killer in sports and ultimately develop into osteoarthritis.

INFORMATION:

Additional authors: Evan B. Lynch, B.S.E.; Max E. Davis, B.A.; Elizabeth R. Sibilsky Enselman, ME.d.,A.T.C.; Julie A. Harning; Paul D. DeWolf, B.S.; Tarek A. Makki, B.S.

Funding: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases grant number AR058920

Disclosures: None

Reference: "Changes in Circulating Biomarkers of Muscle Atrophy, Inflammation and Cartilage Turnover in Patients Undergoing Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction and Rehabilitation," American Journal of Sports Medicine, DOI:10.1177/0363546513490651.

http://press-news.org/106993-after-...atments-to-improve-recovery-for-athletes.html

Great Sleuthing, Fredna!

(See what I did there? combined Fred and Edna? Like Brangelina?

Tee! Hee! clever.... No?)

NO!

Just a thought...

He mentions somewhere on his facebook page that he went
to a shooting range. So it is not unlikely that he owns a gun. According
to police no gun was found, and nothing was missing. But it is still
possible that he kept a gun in the room, but that the police does not
know about it (or does not want to tell us...)

His brother posted this image on his facebook page:
942139_823986828739_1177164083_n.jpg

I don't know whether the guns belongs to the brother or to one of his friends.
Any gun experts here?

Great Sleuthing, Fredna!

(See what I did there? combined Fred and Edna? Like Brangelina?

Tee! Hee! clever.... No?)

NO!

You are sooooo clever :cheer:

:floorlaugh:

Fredna = Brangelina (not even close... but it's only because Fred has a bad habit of drinking from the toilet)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back