Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 1 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
In earlier posts, the allegation of sex abuse was discussed. It has been said on here and in comments on the newspaper thread that if the husband had molested his daughter he would have been arrested.

As a child welfare worker, I can say that often times sex abuse cases are substantiated and unfortunately criminal charges are never brought on. This happens for a variety of reasons. For cases to be substantiated by CPS, you only need a preponderance of the evidence, as opposed to beyond a reasonable doubt in criminal proceedings. Often times, there is not enough physical evidence or the victims are too young to testify and it does not get brought to a criminal trial.

Of course, I am not saying this is what has happened in this case....just speaking from a general knowledge that these types of molestation allegations often do not get prosecuted. Both scary and sad, really.

Also, it is VERY common for abusers to accuse their victims of the very things they themselves have done to their victims and as another poster on here said....to claim their victim is mentally unstable, on medications, is a drug user, claim self defense, etc... Yes, men do get abused too, but abusers also use these tactics very frequently against their victims.

Thank you for this post... I have found all of these things to be true also in my work with kids... and divorce doesn't bring out the best in anyone, either. Any problems- real, imagined, lied about, etc- are just magnified, especially when kids are involved...IMO.
No matter what has happened here, I feel absolutely horrible for those two precious lives who are caught in the middle.

PS- Thank you's also to those who have posted in defense (no pun intended) of retaining an attorney. I've met some attorneys that I would rather feed to a pack of wolves than associate with, but I've also met plenty of the good guys... I encourage anyone who is completely innocent to still get advice from an attorney. You can still give LE what they need for their investigation making sure your rights are protected, sad but true, IMO.

Does anybody know what hubby's alibi is ? I haven't found it yet just that he has one.
Sorry if this was posted already, but I thought it was of interest:

Police searching wooded area in St. Joseph County for clues in abduction of Venus Rose Stewart

SNIPPED..............................................................................................

Risko said the tip that police acted on Friday was information that a person saw a man near the shoreline of Adams Lake within the time frame that Venus Stewart is believed to have been taken.

“It’s one of the few tips we’ve got so we’re going to act on it,” Risko said. “At this stage of the game, I don’t think we can let anything slide.”

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/poilce_searching_wooded_area_i.html

Also how is it that they (LE) can't find TWO vehicles this man owned ?

Missing St. Joseph County woman feared her estranged husband, records show: Venus Stewart had sought three protection orders against spouse
April 28, 2010, 8:19AM

SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Police are continuing to ask for assistance from anyone who may have seen Venus Stewart or a silver Mercury sedan with Virginia license plate XNP1453 or silver Dodge Ram pickup truck with Virginia license plate XNP1301. Both of the vehicles are registered to Douglas Stewart, Risko said.

Despite locating Douglas Stewart, police have yet to find the car or pickup truck, Risko said.

Police ask that anyone who may have seen Venus Stewart or the vehicles to call the State Police post in White Pigeon at 269-483-7611 or the State Police Regional Dispatch Center in Rockford at 616-866-6666.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/missing_st_joseph_county_woman_1.html

That was from Wednesday the 28th; has there been anything reported recently? That would seem to be something they could readily confirm. Either he has his car and/or truck or he doesn't.

It's never been clear to me if he was supposed to have had both in VA, either.

Does anybody recall the article where the husband stated he had been out of state ? I am trying to find it.....TIA

I think he prob. took a plane, I think he may have drove a vehicle somewhere and left it hopped a plane back home, maybe drove the other vehicle to abduct her in did what he did got rid of her and then changed vehicles drove to a little out of the way airport hopped a plane back to VG for his alibi .. something like that anyway. There is no way he could make the drive time unless he hired someone to snag Venus up.

They need to be checking smaller airports for his vehicles ... imo

Thank you for this post... I have found all of these things to be true also in my work with kids... and divorce doesn't bring out the best in anyone, either. Any problems- real, imagined, lied about, etc- are just magnified, especially when kids are involved...IMO.
No matter what has happened here, I feel absolutely horrible for those two precious lives who are caught in the middle.

<snipped>

That's the saddest part of this entire case.

Does anybody recall the article where the husband stated he had been out of state ? I am trying to find it.....TIA

I think he prob. took a plane, I think he may have drove a vehicle somewhere and left it hopped a plane back home, maybe drove the other vehicle to abduct her in did what he did got rid of her and then changed vehicles drove to a little out of the way airport hopped a plane back to VG for his alibi .. something like that anyway. There is know way he could make the drive time unless he hired someone to snag Venus up.

They need to be checking smaller airports for his vehicles ... imo

It was reported his alibi appears to be true. I would think the police could easily confirm he took a flight to Michigan and back.

IMO, if he had anything to do with this, then he hired someone. I don't believe he could have pulled it off and been back in VA (with an apparent alibi for his whereabouts) by the time police reached him the same day she disappeared.

That's what they said! :( This is SO sad! I want to know more about the husband's alibi!!!

OK got some clarification, on NG, as to the vehicles. Venus's dad said that as far as he knows the vehicles haven't been located, the mother said they should be in the husbands high rise apt parking lot (in Newport News). Confusing with little information coming out from LE, maybe having Venus's story on the show will bring about some answers.

I just heard about this case. This poor girl, how scared she must have been to live like this. I just saw the video on NG. Her parents are in so much pain, her mom could barely speak. OMG this is terrible.

The article says he was located Monday night in Newport News. According to google maps, Colon Township is just south of Battle Creek.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...85.331667&sspn=0.000000,0.000000&iwloc=A&sa=X

That's roughly 760 miles, or almost 13 hours of drive time (per mapquest).

ETA: the above articles are from Grand Rapids. That is about 820 miles, 13 1/2 hours drive time.

What time Monday night was he located?

Exactly what I just did and was thinking! I cannot find a time anywhere as to when he was reached "by phone". I have to imagine LE would have his pings and I'd venture a guess that he was unreachable earlier. I'm sure his name and number were the first thing given to LE as to "who". So if he drove like mad from around 8 am and it's roughly a 12 hr drive then he couldve picked up around 6 or 7 p.m to answer to LE and be in the vacinity of his place.

I think he was in the area (colon MI) during the weekend, maybe stalked her at the house and just waitied, saw her mom leave for work then jumped when she went to the mailbox.
Does anyone know what he's doing right now. Are there reports of him going to work? Or talking to reporters?

Police initially said they believed Stewart&#8217;s estranged husband, Douglas, abducted her between 7:10 and 8:30 a.m. Monday outside her parent&#8217;s home in the 55000 block of Driftwood Drive in Colon Township. Risko said Douglas Stewart, whom police were able to contact by phone late Monday night in Newport News, Va., where he resides, is a &#8220;person of interest&#8221; in his wife&#8217;s disappearance.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/michigan_state_police_remain_h.html

Late monday night was the best approximate time I could find. It's frustrating that there aren't more news articles on this story. Nothing at all out of Newport News, Va.

I believe it was indicated that LE said his alibi seemed to check out so I would think they were able to place him at work or someplace else that day; they certainly would not just go by the fact that he was home late that night, IMO. Maybe his cell phone records have been checked and calls were only made in VA that day. In any event, they did not clear him of involvement as far as I know, just indicated that his alibi, being in VA, seemed to be good. I can't understand the confusion about where his vehicles are.

I do think that in cases of missing women, when there are immediate suspects or POI's as far as husband or boyfriend go, the case draws less interest as people tend to respond more to the possibility of a random abduction. When it is presented as a possible "domestic" people shake their heads and go about their business. Unfortunate but true, IMO.

Good news - Nancy Grace is aware of this case!

venusnancygracecnn.jpg

Source: http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

nancygracefacebook.jpg

Source: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...d=114398558600551&comments=1#s114398558600551

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member