MI - Woman charged with assault on plane

I have only had one panic attack ever, and thank God I was not on a plane.

I felt completely out of control, like I was suffocating, and was not behaving rationally AT ALL. All I knew was that I was coming out of my skin and there was not way to explain it to anyone. I was able to rudely push through several people to get outside and attempt to calm myself. If I had not been able to exit the building I can seriously see myself freaking out even more, and banging on doors, whacking away at anyone who tried to stop me.

Afterwards I was MORTIFIED at my behavior, and surprised it even happened. I never had a panic attack before nor since....but it was super scary and I promise you I had ZERO control over it. The best I can describe it is what it must feel like to be drowning, and your body instinctive fights like crazy to not go under. It is your ONLY focus, only goal.

Anyhoo, that was the first thing I thought of when I read this story. Good thing nobody decided I needed "chunking" out a window. If she was having a panic attack, as I suspect she was, she honestly could not help acting on her need to "get out now". :(.

It may have been the first time she had the "privilege" of flying a smaller "puddle jumper" express plane. Some of those smaller planes are very claustrophobic. I was trying to look it up to see if it was a jet engine and I think it was. If it was a propeller plane then I would think for sure the plane gave her trouble but it seems to be jet engine. But still a smaller plane.

I refuse to fly propeller planes after my last experience on a puddle jumper. It was the most scariest flight I have ever been on. And when booking reservations the airlines try to hide the fact you will be on a prop plane.

I always check now to be sure a flight is jet engine. Those prop planes scare the daylights out of me. THey don't have the power like jets do in a storm. I was getting bounced around.

The very first thing that the stewardesses did when we were getting ready to take off was ask people to move to the other side to even out the weight. That was it for me. LOL
If a plane is that sensitive then I dont need to be on it. LOL

For the incident that happened with the lady my first thought was if she wanted off then they should have just opened a door and let her out. LOL
Seriously though I could see a panic attack causing this. I agree with the passenger that said all airlines need to have restraints available on all planes for emergencies.

They need to quit inconvenciening everyone and have a way to lock the uruly passenger to the seat in back and continue on to your destination. No need to stop anywhere other than original destination. Just lock them in back to a seat and turn up a good movie loud to ignore the unruly passenger.

One other thought I had that may have contributed to her issues is medication. A LOT of people have learned to take medicine before a flight to help calm their nerves. If this woman had taken something then maybe she was having a reaction to some kind of medicine.

(((EllieBee)))

Awww, thanks. It was a single, isolated incident, thank goodness. Never saw it coming. In hindsight, I was going through a divorce, which is very stressful no matter how civil the negotiations, so probably that had a part in it even though I thought I was handling things very well...

The worst part of it was that it was at my DD's first grade science fair.....how embarassing! I never even later apologized to the other parents I almost plowed over because I was so ashamed.

Again, this woman may not have had a panic attack at all, just speculating and relating.

I heard an updated report on Friday following Ms. Farquharson's Federal Court appearance. BF reportedly became agitated and had to be restrained by deputies. Judge said that BF should undergo psychiatric evaluation prior to her arraignment to determine competency. I didn't want to post the new information until it was available on WDIV website.

Farquharson is charged with assaulting a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft. She was taken to federal court on Friday before being transported to a nearby hospital. It's not clear when she could be arraigned.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...which-forced-landing-at-detroit-metro-airport

Haven't been back through thread to see if this has been posted previously, but Farquharson was charged with a misdemeanor assault this past July.

A criminal records check showed that Farquharson was arrested on a misdemeanor assault out of Mt. Vernon, N.Y., on July 16, the complaint said. An online records search lists her address as being in Mt. Vernon since 2014.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...bound-flight-diverted-metro-airport/78508768/

Well, she may not end up with much, or any federal prison time.

But I think it's a sure bet she will end up on a "no fly" list with these charges and publicity, at least for a period of time, until her charges are tried. At least I hope so.

IMO, she should be banned from all air travel for about 20 years or so, then officially re-evaluate her new situation when she's 42. That seems appropriate, IMO. Air travel is a privilege, not a right, and that privilege should be revoked when there is this kind of acting out. I think any competent adult who acts out like that inflight, for whatever reason (mental illness, OR bad attitude/ criminality), should get an immediate and extended ban on air travel, until we can make certain they are rehabilitated and safe.

Interesting-- that her picture and mug shot have been left out of the MSM reports. Wonder why?

Haven't been back through thread to see if this has been posted previously, but Farquharson was charged with a misdemeanor assault this past July.

A criminal records check showed that Farquharson was arrested on a misdemeanor assault out of Mt. Vernon, N.Y., on July 16, the complaint said. An online records search lists her address as being in Mt. Vernon since 2014.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...bound-flight-diverted-metro-airport/78508768/

I think it would be reassuring to the general public if we could prevent people convicted of assault from the privilege of flying on commercial passenger airplanes, for an extended period of years. I'd be just fine with that. Aircrews and their professional associations might be just fine with that, too.

...Interesting-- that her picture and mug shot have been left out of the MSM reports. Wonder why?

<snipped>

Farquharson's (somewhat obscured) face can be seen in a video shot at this link:

Disruption: The woman's face was briefly visible as officers pulled her up on the floor and moved her off the plane

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rt-unhinged-passenger-attacks-stewardess.html

K_Z: I always wonder if you live "up north" as in northern lower or Michigan's upper peninsula. Here in Oakland County, we refer to both as "up north" :)

I think it would be reassuring to the general public if we could prevent people convicted of assault from the privilege of flying on commercial passenger airplanes, for an extended period of years. I'd be just fine with that. Aircrews and their professional associations might be just fine with that, too.

We don't restrict sexual predators who might molest someone. We don't restrict convicted felons who might murder someone. Why would we restrict misdemeanor assault offenders because they *might* punch someone out.

ETA: I'd venture to guess the instances of women being groped on flights is far higher than assaults in-flight.

Well, it's a sure thing that Breanna Farqharson will be on United Airlines' passenger blacklist, probably forever!

I was referring specifically to her and others being dually listed on the TSA "big master" no fly list.

Individual airline carriers blacklist passengers all the time, for behavior FAR LESS egregious than what BF did. And it is perfectly legal for them to do so. (I thought most people knew this.)

Here's a few articles on the practice of individual airline blacklisting passengers, as well as what can land you on the TSA no fly list:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/14/business/airlines-blacklist-fliers-some-merely-annoying.html?_r=0

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/blacklisted-how-to-get-banned-for-life-by-125181311247.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...box-controversial-tweets-end-no-fly-list.html

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...27_1_airtran-flight-airtran-plane-federal-air

Your post gave no indication that you were talking about what individual airlines were allowed to do.

We don't restrict sexual predators who might molest someone. We don't restrict convicted felons who might murder someone. Why would we restrict misdemeanor assault offenders because they *might* punch someone out.

ETA: I'd venture to guess the instances of women being groped on flights is far higher than assaults in-flight.

Airlines are in enough financial trouble as it is. If they had to start doing criminal background checks and banning passengers they would all go bankrupt.

And when I was a USAF flight nurse, we moved psych patients in restraints and heavily medicated. Although I'm now an anesthetist, I can't anesthetize any fellow whacky passengers! But I don't have to get onboard with them!

Please feel free to anesthetize me, K_Z, should we ever fly together. I'm 6'3" and flying is so miserably cramped, I will be happy to be knocked unconscious. Use whatever is handy.

Please feel free to anesthetize me, K_Z, should we ever fly together. I'm 6'3" and flying is so miserably cramped, I will be happy to be knocked unconscious. Use whatever is handy.

My DH feels you on that one, same height. He dreads it, he's so squished in.

Today's Websleuths "Phrase that Pays" is clearly "chunking out a window".

I'm sure the OP meant "chucking". My goodness, how formal English has declined! I blame the public school system.

My DH feels you on that one, same height. He dreads it, he's so squished in.

I'm sure he's like I am: the distance from his hip to his knee is literally longer than the distance between his seat and the seat in front of him. So I sit, perched on one haunch with my spine twisted into an "S" shape. Since I live in California, I almost never take a flight that is less than 3 or 4 hours. That's a long time to imitate scoliosis.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back