MI - Woman charged with assault on plane

Well, she may not end up with much, or any federal prison time.

But I think it's a sure bet she will end up on a "no fly" list with these charges and publicity, at least for a period of time, until her charges are tried. At least I hope so.

IMO, she should be banned from all air travel for about 20 years or so, then officially re-evaluate her new situation when she's 42. That seems appropriate, IMO. Air travel is a privilege, not a right, and that privilege should be revoked when there is this kind of acting out. I think any competent adult who acts out like that inflight, for whatever reason (mental illness, OR bad attitude/ criminality), should get an immediate and extended ban on air travel, until we can make certain they are rehabilitated and safe.

Interesting-- that her picture and mug shot have been left out of the MSM reports. Wonder why?

I honestly hope that you are never put into a situation where you have an anxiety/panic attack. Like Ellie has stated... you literally have no control. I have had two panic attacks in my life and I literally thought I was going to die. I was in such a panic that I could not verbally explain what was going on.

I was also mortified. I didn't understand what was going on. My doctor told me I was stressed... even though I denied it. Obviously, my body was telling my otherwise. That is how he explained it to me. I haven't had one in over 10 years now. However...

...As someone who has been in THAT place... not on an airline... I find it quite heartless for you to say she should be banned from flying for 20 years. It really only takes common sense to understand this wasn't a woman who as drunk/high etc... Maybe she will never fly again? Who knows. I actually feel quite bad for her.

ETA: Her face is everywhere. It is not hard to find. So, I don't understand where you were going with that comment.

ETA:::: Can we also have all parents with their unruly children sit in a designated area away from us? I am ALL for that!! Or maybe BAN all unruly children from flying until they are 18 and can legally purchase a ticket?

I don't think we know that this was a "panic attack"-- maybe it was, or maybe not. It could even be something like schizophrenia. It's not the job of the flight crew or the other passengers to spend a lot of time figuring out "why" this person is displaying out of control behavior-- they simply need to get the situation under control immediately. This woman had another recent assault charge, as we have since found out. But even if it was a "panic attack", she shouldn't fly on commercial airplanes, IMO. She is clearly uncontrolled, and a real danger to herself and others.

And there definitely have been parents of unruly children who have been removed from flights, as well as disabled passengers (autistic and intellectually disabled) who were unable to comply with safety and conduct regulations, refusing to sit in their seats, assaulting other passengers, etc.

For whatever reason, this woman was out of control, and a danger to herself and others on an aircraft. As a former flight crew member, as well as a healthcare professional, I think it was entirely correct to physically restrain her, and divert the aircraft, arrest her, and then have her checked out medically. (And yes, the arrest does need to happen during/ before transport to a medical facility for a lot of reasons, including the safety of the medical personnel.) The legal stuff can be worked out later, including dropping the charges, if appropriate.

I certainly do believe that panic attacks are "real". I just strongly disagree with any suggestion or implication that "we" need to be compassionate and "tolerant" of out of control behavior of any origin, on an aircraft at 36,000 feet.

The place for compassionate and ongoing mental health care is after the crisis is over, the plane is on the ground, and everyone is safe. The US Military, and FAA have this position, as well. The safety of everyone else on the plane, and on the ground, and other aircraft in the flight path, takes clear priority over any hurt feelings or embarrassment on the part of the out of control passenger.

When I flew airevac in the pacific theater, we regularly moved patients with serious mental illnesses, such as panic attacks, OR antisocial criminal behavior (assault history) heavily medicated and in restraints. For their safety, as well as that of the flight crew, and other passengers.

BH has been released on bond:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ine-passenger-assault-detroit-metro/78704772/
U.S. Magistrate Anthony Patti spoke to Farquharson, who was dressed in prison clothes and shackled. The student responded, “Hello, nice to meet you.”

Patti asked Farquharson a series of questions ranging from who was the current U.S. president to whether she understood the charges against her. After being satisfied with her answers, Patti spoke to her parents, Delia and Raymond Farquharson, who appeared in the courtroom and agreed to be their daughter’s third-party custodians while she is out on bond.

Patti agreed to released Farquharson on bond with several conditions: Farquharson must return to Westchester, New York, within 24 hours and undergo a psychiatric evaluation. She also must comply with medical directives, including taking medication, and she must be accompanied by at least one parent while traveling to and from Michigan for her case.

Farquharson also told the judge she had a job at a start-up and had completed two years of college at SUNY Binghamton.

Delia and Raymond Farquharson both agreed to the conditions. Patti asked the couple if they understood that being a custodian meant reporting any bond violations, which could land their daughter back in jail. They said they did.

“She really needs help and support and you can provide it,” Patti said.

Delia Farquharson, who identified herself as a licensed social worker and graduate of Columbia University, asked to address the judge, telling him that she and her husband were grateful for the compassion and professional courtesy they and their daughter were shown in the last several days by the FBI, pretrial services and attorneys.

“Everyone has been more than gracious. We are really moved how this really traumatic experience has been made bearable,” she said.

Farquharson is expected to return to court on March 14.

BBM.

I fly often, and frequently have kids with me. I'm also an ex-USAF aircrew member. So, I'm accustomed to having a high level of situational awareness in the departure gate. If I observe any behavior in fellow passengers who cause me to be worried, I have a plan that my husband and kids are aware of. If that happens, I will simply quietly and unobtrusively gather our things and the kids and leave the departure gate and intentionally "miss" our flight. We can always say someone was ill in the bathroom as a cover story for why we didn't board. We could figure out how to get where we needed to be after the fact. I'm aware that if we don't board the flight will be delayed to remove our baggage, but I refuse to put myself and the kids in a bad situation, trapped with offensive and/ or violent people at 30,000 feet.

Twice in the past 5 years I considered implementing "the plan", but in both situations, the offensive and argumentative passenger ended up not boarding due to some other issue.

Just want people to be aware that if someone's behavior in a departure lounge is worrisome, it's ok to plan not to board. IMO, bad behavior is unlikely to improve when airborne, and could easily deteriorate.

I suspect this passenger had some observable worrisome issues before she ever got onboard. Maybe not, maybe she was just mentally ill, or a nervous flyer. But everyone should have a high degree of situational awareness of others' behavior in public places like airports.

Southwest Airlines used to have a "reality" show featuring aspects of their employee operation. Seems like there was always a feature about some passenger who had to be prevented from flying--frequently due to inebriation, occasionally something else (extreme BO, unsupervised senility, medical issues, etc). Generally picked up before the passenger was on the plane--but not always. Astonishing level of people skill required of gate agents, and at least the ones that made the air were able to deliver. Lot of cases were just over-imbibers who were promised a chance at a later plane if they could demonstrate acceptable sobriety and behavior. But I also recall one elderly man in a wheel chair who had soiled himself, and was assisted with a shower and clean clothes by someone who clearly understood that this could one day be him in need.

I don't understand the hate toward her. There was an issue, a disruption, it was handled and she was charged. Move on. If she becomes a repeat aggressor, the airline can choose to blacklist her. But sitting here talking about don't ever fly if you have panic attacks is pretty unsympathetic to people who experience them. What's your alternative to long distance travel? Drive?

Seems airlines should stock flights w flex-cuffs* like LEOs carry in riots, or even metal handcuffs, to restrain the unruly. Not like it's a new or uncommon phenomenon. Should paying passengers have to scramble for belts, neck ties, etc. to protect themselves against in flight violence?

Since I first flew yrs ago, passenger decorum has gone so far
...d
.....o
.......w
..........h
............i
..............l
................l.
Glad I do not have to anymore. Maybe being on a flight and getting clobbered by a drunk/drugged/just a jerk/who-ev is better than the 1960s, when a hijacker w gun would force pilot to divert to Cuba. IDK. End rant.

My hubby is a commercial pilot and carries these on his flights, but they are of little use in the cockpit. I'm unsure if they have them in the cabin. O/T my son and his cousin found a pair a few years back and decided to use them on my youngest son as a joke. It was a trip to the fire station to get them off safely.

I don't understand the hate toward her. There was an issue, a disruption, it was handled and she was charged. Move on. If she becomes a repeat aggressor, the airline can choose to blacklist her. But sitting here talking about don't ever fly if you have panic attacks is pretty unsympathetic to people who experience them. What's your alternative to long distance travel? Drive?

If someone is prone to violent panic attacks which cannot be controlled with medication, yes, it is in both their and the flying public's best interest that they not fly. I would hope that the young lady be given the opportunity to prove that she has successfully treated her anxiety. But no one is entitled to travel by air, particularly if they present a safety hazard to other passengers or crew.

If someone is prone to violent panic attacks which cannot be controlled with medication, yes, it is in both their and the flying public's best interest that they not fly. I would hope that the young lady be given the opportunity to prove that she has successfully treated her anxiety. But no one is entitled to travel by air, particularly if they present a safety hazard to other passengers or crew.

Is she prone to violent panic attacks? Why are they not controllable with medication? I honestly had no idea some can't be controlled - does the person just have to suffer and wait it out?

First—no one here is expressing any “hate” toward BF, so I reject that characterization. And the parents of this young woman went to great lengths to THANK the courts for their compassionate approach, and for their respect in this situation, so I don’t see any “hate” in that area, either. (See the above link to the bond article.) We are discussing what happens to people who have this kind of behavior on a commercial aircraft inflight, and her case in particular. That's not "hate".

*Yes-- she will have to travel by some sort of ground conveyance (bus, car, train, etc), or hire a private plane, for the forseeable future. (If a private plane and flight crew is willing, and the family can pay for it.) (more below)

*Yes, the airlines CAN (and have) blacklisted her for only ONE episode like this. Repeat violations are not necessary, and most airlines would not ever allow a passenger like that onboard again after such a very serious episode. The woman was out of control, assaulted and interfered with flight crew and other passengers, was subdued by 3 or more passengers, the flight was diverted, she was removed in restraints, and charged with federal crime/s, and it was all over the national news. At this point, it really doesn't matter to the airlines and FAA "why" she behaved the way she did-- that's up to mental health professionals and the federal courts and LE system to figure out.

*She has been bonded out, and has a court appointed custodian. (more below). She is not a legally fully competent adult at this point in time.

*In the future, it will be up to BF to petition the airlines to have her travel privileges re-instated, if she is not on a master "no fly" list. That will be a lengthy process, and airlines are not required by any laws to let someone fly again that has had an inflight episode like this.

Having compassion doesn’t mean you ignore or disregard laws and rules because you think someone *might* be mentally ill, and it doesn’t mean someone is a “hater” if they enforce, support, and uphold laws and rules in a matter of fact, and decisive, manner.

I can be sympathetic about her possibly having serious mental illness, and at the same time, strongly support her being barred from commercial aircraft for the forseeable future. What she did was very, very serious, and *could* bring her prison time, regardless of whether or not she has panic attacks or whatever her mental health diagnosis and situation is.

Had this kind of out of control behavior occurred in, say, a grocery store, the approach of employees and bystanders would have been considerably different, IMO, than what occurred on this flight. If this kind of behavior happened in a pre-school, and children were threatened and assaulted, the actions and reactions of staff and bystanders would also have been different.

The article also discloses that BF is not “just” anxious—but she has had her parents appointed by a federal judge to be her guardians/ custodians for the forseeable future, as it applies to this federal prosecution, and the conditions of her bond. BF is 22 years old—an adult, so the fact that the federal magistrate appointed a custodian for her tells us A LOT about what is going on. At this point in time, BF is not considered BY THE COURT to be fully competent to manage her own affairs.

Courts generally have the power to appoint a guardian for an individual in need of special protection. A guardian with responsibility for both the personal well-being and the financial interests of the ward is a general guardian. A person may also be appointed as aspecial guardian, having limited powers over the interests of the ward. A special guardian may, for example, be given the legal right to determine the disposition of the ward's property without being given any authority over the ward's person.

Depending on the jurisdiction, a legal guardian may be called a "conservator", "custodian", or curator. Many jurisdictions and theUniform Probate Code distinguish between a "guardian" or "guardian of the person" who is an individual with authority over and fiduciary responsibilities for the physical person of the ward, and a "conservator" or "guardian of the property" of a ward who has authority over and fiduciary responsibilities for significant property (often an inheritance or personal injury settlement) belonging to the ward. Some jurisdictions provide for public guardianship programs serving incapacitated adults or children.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_guardian

She was ordered to return from Detroit to Westchester, NY within 24 hours.

She was ordered to undergo psychiatric evaluation and care, and to comply with medication and therapy recommendations

She must return to Detroit in March for her next court appearance. Her federal charges have not been dropped, altered, or pleaded at this point in time.

Perhaps her parents are wealthy enough to afford to hire a private plane for them to return to Westchester, NY. Or maybe they will take a bus, or some combination of bus and Amtrack. Or maybe they will drive home. But it’s a pretty certain thing that BF and her guardian/s will not return to NY via commercial flight, nor back to Detroit in March. I highly doubt that any carrier will allow this woman on a commercial flight for a very long time.

However, I think if she complies fully with her mental health care, and court appearances, and has a cooperative attitude, apologizes, etc -- there is a good chance she might be able to avoid prison time, IMO. She could then get on with her life, work, school, and do what she needs to do to be mentally healthier. She may still face big fines, though, even without incarceration.

Is she prone to violent panic attacks? Why are they not controllable with medication? I honestly had no idea some can't be controlled - does the person just have to suffer and wait it out?

I have no idea if this person specifically is, I was making a general statement that sometimes "compassion" is insufficient in someone whose panic attacks cannot be controlled. And no, medication is not always effective for everyone. Clearly this young lady was violent. We don't know for sure at this time why that was the case.

Having compassion doesn’t mean you ignore or disregard laws and rules because you think someone *might* be mentally ill, and it doesn’t mean someone is a “hater” if they enforce, support, and uphold laws and rules in a matter of fact, and decisive, manner.

I can be sympathetic about her possibly having serious mental illness, and at the same time, strongly support her being barred from commercial aircraft for the forseeable future. What she did was very, very serious, and *could* bring her prison time, regardless of whether or not she has panic attacks or whatever her mental health diagnosis and situation is.

I agree.

I have no idea if this person specifically is, I was making a general statement that sometimes "compassion" is insufficient in someone whose panic attacks cannot be controlled. And no, medication is not always effective for everyone. Clearly this young lady was violent. We don't know for sure at this time why that was the case.

Someone who suffers uncontrollable panic attacks doesn't deserve compassion. Good to know.

Someone who suffers uncontrollable panic attacks doesn't deserve compassion. Good to know.

My post does not say someone who suffers from uncontrollable panic attacks doesn't deserve compassion. Don't put words in my mouth.

If someone's panic attacks makes them violent, and being on an airplane makes them have a panic attack, and medication cannot control it, then we have a problem that cannot be solved by being compassionate. Compassion alone does nothing for that person or the other people on the plane. The solution in the above scenario is that the person must travel by alternate means unless and until the person can control behavior which endangers others. That's a pretty simple concept.

One of the articles pointed out how the men that restrained her were trying to BE COMPASSIONATE, and trying to get her to talk with them, tell them her name, asking what was going on with her, etc.

Showing compassion doesn't mean ignoring dangerous behavior. They were entirely correct to restrain her from hurting herself, or further hurting others. None of the crew or passengers who restrained her have been charged with anything.

One of the articles pointed out how the men that restrained her were trying to BE COMPASSIONATE, and trying to get her to talk with them, tell them her name, asking what was going on with her, etc.

Showing compassion doesn't mean ignoring dangerous behavior. They were entirely correct to restrain her from hurting herself, or further hurting others. None of the crew or passengers who restrained her have been charged with anything.

Exactly. They were compassionate, they restrained her, they removed her from the plane. They neutralized the danger that she was presenting, be it because she's violent for no reason or she was having a panic attack.

I don't think anybody did anything wrong in this situation to ensure everyone was safe, including the aggressor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back