Michael Douglas Hopes To Beat Cancer

I do think it is in the poorest of taste to publicly blame one's cancer on the HPV virus contracted from performing oral sex on one's wife.

Tacky.

Yeah .. what a <modsnip> .. and isn't she in treatment for Bipolar .. advice to her .. get a lawyer .. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912DKxD0H1U"]Tammy Wynette - "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" - YouTube[/ame]

Into the fray:

I'm still not sure how many people really understand that there is a transmittable virus that causes cancer. I've known about the HPV -> cervical cancer risk for years, and I'd never heard of possible throat involvement. If the information is scientifically legit, it's worth getting out there even if the topic is embarrassing or tacky.

Yeah .. what a pig .. and isn't she in treatment for Bipolar .. advice to her .. get a lawyer .. Tammy Wynette - "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" - YouTube

I never got what she saw in him anyhoo. I mean, being his wife didn't exactly HELP her career. And he is kinda cheesy. I never had an issue with the guy other than finding him a little smarmy.

But now....I think he is in Tom Cruise's category. Icky poo.

Into the fray:

I'm still not sure how many people really understand that there is a transmittable virus that causes cancer. I've known about the HPV -> cervical cancer risk for years, and I'd never heard of possible throat involvement. If the information is scientifically legit, it's worth getting out there even if the topic is embarrassing or tacky.

I would be utterly wounded if my husband were to publicly announce that he got cancer from going down on me.

That is not doing the public any service. And CZJ is already in treatment for mental health issues.

I guess if CZJ were the one to make this statement, then okay. But for MD to do it......poor taste.

Does he ever mention her specifically? I'll admit I didn't click the link.

I guess I'd also argue the "no public service" point, since I wasn't aware of this vector for HPV.

I realize I'm squarely in the minority here, so I guess I'll just say: it's cancer, it's fatal, information is important.

Into the fray:

It's more the fact he shared it publicly that I find disgusting .. I mean was that really necessary? Way to degrade your wife.

I would be utterly wounded if my husband were to publicly announce that he got cancer from going down on me.

That is not doing the public any service. And CZJ is already in treatment for mental health issues.

I guess if CZJ were the one to make this statement, then okay. But for MD to do it......poor taste.

Honestly .. if that happened to me .. I'd realise I had made a huge mistake and put my exit strategy into place, which may involve simply driving off with my cat and leaving him to wonder what happened ..

Does he ever mention her specifically? I'll admit I didn't click the link.

I guess I'd also argue the "no public service" point, since I wasn't aware of this vector for HPV.

I realize I'm squarely in the minority here, so I guess I'll just say: it's cancer, it's fatal, information is important.

I suppose he might have been referencing another woman he had performed cunniligus on.

But since he has been married to CZJ for over ten years, I'd guess he was referring to his wife.

My call? We will read about a divorce petition in the next week. Which is why this "story" broke just now.

Hey maybe CZJ isn't in treatment for Bipolar at all .. maybe she's in there to keep her from doing something she may or may not regret later ..

Honestly .. if that happened to me .. I'd realise I had made a huge mistake and put my exit strategy into place, which may involve simply driving off with my cat and leaving him to wonder what happened ..

Word.

There is a way to bring this to the public forefront.

This ain't it.

I am pretty sure we will find there is a divorce in the works.

Hey maybe CZJ isn't in treatment for Bipolar at all .. maybe she's in there to keep her from doing something she may or may not regret later ..

What? Like choking an old, wattle-necked beotch for being a skeevy MF?

*looks innocent*

I think people should read up on HPV. It can be dormant in people until a flare up so it is entirely possible it was from someone other than CZJ. Cancer from HPV can take years ti develop. Maybe he discussed the public statement with his wife beforehand. I'm impressed that he was forthcoming about a topic that people would rather avoid. I'm betting a lot more people are now educating themselves about HPV. I think it is the fastest growing STD.

http://m.cdc.gov/en/HealthSafetyTopics/DiseasesConditions/STDs/genitalHPV_FS#a1

I think people should read up on HPV. It can be dormant in people until a flare up so it is entirely possible it was from someone other than CZJ. Cancer from HPV can take years ti develop. Maybe he discussed the public statement with his wife beforehand. I'm impressed that he was forthcoming about a topic that people would rather avoid. I'm betting a lot more people are now educating themselves about HPV. I think it is the fastest growing STD.

http://m.cdc.gov/en/HealthSafetyTopics/DiseasesConditions/STDs/genitalHPV_FS#a1

I agree. It has been in the news for a few years, since the HPV vaccine began, that oral sex can lead to this type of cancer. I'm surprised at how many do not know still.

I also agree it could be from his younger years, not necessarily his wife. It makes no difference where it came from, the good thing it that it is being said and getting some small amount of publicity that it is real and very, very possible. It may help a few younger people go to the clinic and pick up some free condoms or dams.

http://www.pamf.org/teen/sex/std/oral/dentaldam.html

Not sure if this is true or not. I think it is disgusting he made that statement. He has young children, I'm sure they will be proud to learn this someday.

Why do celes feel the need to share every aspect of their lives.

I think the fact that the word "disgusting" keeps being used points to people reacting on a gut level to the "dirty" concepts (sex, oral sex, STD). It makes people uncomfortable for many reasons. But it's still cancer.

If there is in fact a divorce proceeding soon, and it turns out this was just the first strike in a nasty press war, I will concede he was just being an obnoxious a$$hat, and I will come back to this thread and say so. :)

There were rumors of Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones splitting a few months ago.

Rebounding from split rumours: Michael Douglas takes a tense-looking Catherine Zeta-Jones by the hand as they attend basketball game

By Mike Larkin

PUBLISHED: 19:24 EST, 3 March 2013 | UPDATED: 02:50 EST, 4 March 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...me-following-rumours-split.html#ixzz2VLullWO9
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm taking a lot of these comments kinda personally, you guys. I know I shouldn't, but I am.

Why? Not because I'm partial to him, or because I feel badly for CZJ.

Because just over a year ago, I had surgery because I had been diagnosed with vulvar cancer caused by HPV.

Yes, really. There's a whole thread on it down in the prayer section.

I don't know who I got it from, but I'm not a *advertiser censored*. I know that it was there for many, many years, well over a decade. I lost a part of my body to this virus.

It's real. It happens. And it needs to be a much larger part of our personal discussions with partners.

The biggest issue with this particular virus is that in most men, there are NO symptoms, and in women the symptoms are vague and easily attributable to other, more common (and less deadly) illnesses.

The other issue is the rate of transmission. Very high. But since most folks don't know they have it, it's easily passed on.

The last issue is that condoms - male and female - are ineffective in preventing the transmission.

These things, put together, make for a very concerning issue...and while it's mostly women who get the cancer, yes, HPV can and does cause throat cancer, as well as vulvar cancer, and of course cervical cancer.

While I suppose I understand some of the comments, I don't believe you'd say that to me...to my face.

Have a care...I know that there are more folks on this board who have HPV, and a lot of folks here don't know they have it at all. Will it cause cancer for you/them? I don't know...all I know is that I lost a body part last year to this disease, and it was because of HPV.

And I'm no floozy.

Best-
Herding Cats

Wow right .. So what was the point of him making those degrading comments about his wife .. Oh of course, he wanted to degrade his wife, who was trying to deal with mental illness at the time. What a guy!

Willing to bet this current readjustment is based on advice from his lawyers however.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back