Mickey Shunick - Press Conference, 6 July 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q&A Session from Thursday's presser:

I will take questions at this time but I want to caution you that because the investigation is ongoing, there is a lot of information that we will not be able to divulge or discuss.

Q: Chief Craft, how did you know that he was in the area where Mickey’s bike was found? What evidence (inaudible)
A: We have some evidence that we can’t divulge at this time but we know, we can place his vehicle in that area at that time.

Q: When you were searching his home, what was some of the key evidence that was found there? Anything of importance that you can share with us that was found at his home?
A: As I speak we have been at that home since yesterday and we are still processing that scene so we can’t disclose or divulge any evidence that we may or may not have recovered.

Q: What evidence led to the first degree murder charge?
A: (pauses as if to consider how to answer) Um, based on the information developed by our investigators, uh, and the fact that she was kidnapped – an aggravated kidnapping constitutes a charge of first degree murder.

Q: Is there any evidence that there was any sort of struggle?
A: Uh, we can’t go into that at this point.

Q: Was any of Mickey’s DNA found inside his home?
A: We can’t go into that at this point.

Q: How much information (inaudible) bike?
A: Uhm, the bike was consistent – the rear rim was consistent with being struck by a vehicle and …

Q: Did anything come back from the lab reports?
A: We have no lab reports back as of this time.

Q: Chief Craft, was there a second person arrested – a female arrested in this – (inaudible) yesterday?
A: No, the only person arrested in this case has been Brandon Scott Lavergne.

Q: Was Lavergne questioned by the department immediately and then information gathered from his GPS?
A: Uh Lavergne was questioned by the department here after he was picked up by state police at I-10 and I-49.

Q: When was that?
A: Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon about 2:30.

Q: Is there any relation between Lavergne and Mickey Shunick?
A: Not that we are aware of.

Q: Any possibility that any other arrests could come about from this? I know a private investigator identified two descriptions of two separate suspects.
A: We don’t think so at this point.

Q: What (inaudible) believe she’s dead?
A: Just the evidence and information we have in the case that again, I cannot go into.

Q: Chief, was there any type of website or blog or anything that helped to connect you guys to Lavergne or help focus on him?
A: No, the information that came from the citizen is how he came to our attention.

Q: Did that citizen call the tip line?
A: I think that citizen did call the tips line.

Q: How were you able (inaudible) in Texas and put the two together?
A: Through investigation by our detectives and LA State Police we were able to determine that he had purchased another vehicle and so we located the first one over there.

Q: What was that unrelated warrant he was arrested on?
A: It has to do with sex offender registration.

Q: What brought him to the Lafayette area the night of her disappearance. Any information as to what he was doing there?
A: We have no information on that based on the fact that he has refused to talk to us or cooperate with us.

Q: Was his license destroyed, blocking out some information about him being a registered sex offender?
A: Yes.

Q: On May 28th, it says that he was in good standing on his sex offender website. How is that possible, uh, what does that have to do to go through that?
A: Well I don’t think that the people who run the registry would necessarily know that he had altered his driver’s license to hide that information. Uh, if he was making his contacts and making his visits, they may
be ruled in good standing.

Q: Where was he arrested?
A: He was arrested here at the Lafayette Police Department. He was stopped by LA State Police at I-10 and I-49 for a traffic violation.

Q: Do you think that he targeted her or this is a crime of coincidence?
A: I think that based on the information we have and the vehicle was seen in the area – you can see it on the video – maybe he was riding around looking for someone to victimize.

Q: Chief Craft, since he purchased a new vehicle – what was he driving, what was his mode of transportation when he was apprehended?
A: I think it’s a Z71, white pickup truck, just like the one he had.

Q: Chief, how long can you hold him and what’s next?
A: Well, right now he’s charged with aggravated kidnapping and first degree murder. So there’s no bond on the first degree murder. The district attorney has reviewed our affidavit and our warrant and they are in agreement with us that we had probable cause to arrest him and so there’s no bond on a first degree murder warrant so he’s going to be held in a correctional center.

Q: Chief if a body isn’t found do you expect any problem with that as far as prosecution or anything?
A: I couldn’t comment on that. I think that’s a question for the district attorney to answer.

Q: Has anybody else been questioned regarding (inaudible)?
A: Oh, hundreds of people have been questioned regarding this case.

Q: Since the arrest has been made?
A: Yes.

Q: Any females or girlfriends?
A: We’ve questioned a lot of people but I don’t want to go into who we’ve questioned or who we’ve talked to just primarily because our investigation is still ongoing and that may hinder our investigation to disclose that information at this time.

Q: Any clues on where the body may be?
A: (pauses) No.

Q: Chief, any better indication (inaudible) where or around she was taken?
A: Based on what we know in the video we would have to say between St. Landry and St. Mary and Blackham Coliseum. Somewhere between there.

Q: And is there any indication on exactly how they got her, the bike, everything into the vehicle?
A: No.

Q: Chief, with Mr. Lavergne, was there a bite mark on his hand possibly from Mickey Shunick?
A: Can’t comment on that.
Q: (inaudible)
A: Can’t comment on that.

Q: Can you comment on his prior record?

Q: Was there anyone else at the house when you went to investigate?

Q: Was there anyone else in that vehicle when he was apprehended?

Q: Was he an offshore worker?
A: Yes, he is an offshore worker.

Q: Do you know if he was offshore (inaudible) most of the investigation?
A: Well, we know that he’s been offshore for about the last two weeks.

Q: Do you all use FBI profiler in this investigation?
A: We did consult with the behavioral science unit with the FBI Academy at Quantico but the FBI’s made numerous resources available to us throughout this investigation.

Q: What (inaudible) motive for this crime?
A: He’s a sex offender.

Q: (something about truck on fire)
A: That’s part of the arson investigation that’s taking place in Texas at this time.

Q: Do you know how he got back to Louisiana after he set his truck on fire?
A: We’re not releasing that right now.

Q: Do you have reason to believe that Mickey Shunick was sexually assaulted in this crime?
A: We don’t know that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member