Missing Georgia hiker--Meredith Emerson, 24 #4

You are right, Indigo, I am sure that poor Meredith suffered unimaginably...for certain she was cold, and probably had no food...
in no way was I trying to minimize this.....
and I am sure that he hurt her more when the PIN # was wrong...
but at least, his motive in kidnapping was not just to maim and torture ( I hope) he was not a Ted Bundy, but it seems ( as horrific as it is) that his means of living was KILLING the defenseless and stealing from them!!
Though it makes no sense to me, as he would have had Veterans $$$

I cannot imagine how awful it must be to bury a child who has been preyed upon by someone like GMH.......
I never thought you were minimizing it at all NNY :blowkiss:
I totally agree with you.

This is one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't articles. But, it does show the compassion of GBI agent Cagle. Also, how Meredith's family feels about GBI involvement. The people I have met with GBI are so compassionate but I know all bureaus have their faults, failures etc. I just don't see it as negligence but what to do at the time. Such a hard thing to decide what is right when a life is at the balance.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me.../cagle_0302.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Wow, that is such a sad article, and you know that Cagle will be haunted by this for the rest of his life.
I agree that it is not incompetence,but just human imperfections and foibles.Hindsight is always 20/20.
I also agree that Hilton is evil, and just can imagine what PRIDE he took in recounting what transpired with poor Meredith over the last awful three days of her life....

Was it ever revealed how exactly Hilton was able to get control of Meredith on the trail?

Just absolutely heart breaking to read this account....all of the worst case scenarios any of us had considered, from rape to being beaten, freezing cold....what a monster!!!!

Thanks for posting this, CP....I just found it myself on AJC.

I have cried so many tears over this terrible account. He is a beast. Her strength should never be forgotten. As awful as it was she is God's angel. We have to believe that or we are forever doomed to this behavior.

Meredith Emerson, thank you for being you. Thank you for trying and know that you are in our hearts. For trying and not giving into this beast but doing what you could. To her parents, God give you the strength in the upcoming months. Your daughter was the best and you are too. I am so sorry for your loss.

Warning this is graphic telling of how Hilton captured and subdued Meredith. Terribly upsetting to read. Meredith was a hero.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...hilton_0323.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab
Thank you concernedperson for posting this link. I had pictured it coming to blows rather than a pellet gun or use of Ella. As a hiker I needed to know.

I am confused about a previous story which it was stated he left Ella in Meredith's car, only going back for her at Meredith's insistence. That seems to be left out of this timeline.

That part ( about Ella) could still fit. He subdued Meredith, by viciously beating her, tied her hands, put her in his van, put Ella in Meredith's car, and prepared to leave.
Then Meredith would have pleaded with him, told him that Ella would die alone in her car. Hilton would have relented for the sake of the dog....no such compassion for humans, though.

I saw this new story just now and had to come here and post this part of it. I had debated earlier that Gary loved dogs but he didn't love humans, since he let the dog free in a parking lot where someone would adopt him, but he decapitated a young woman.

Some had argued that the dog must have just run away from him, but that's not the case. He let the dog live on purpose.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23769881/

Hilton said he couldn't bring himself to kill Emerson's dog. When Bridges asked if Hilton had the same equivocations about Emerson, Hilton described the experience as "surreal."

"It was hard," Hilton told the investigator. "You gotta remember we had spent several good days together."

So even though he spent days with this woman, and respected her as a fighter, he didn't mind killing her, but he let the dog run free. :furious: "Surreal" or not, he made a clear choice of animals over human beings.

Yes, this is the story we have all been talking about....the AJC put it online yesterday.
He did indeed value the life of a dog over that of a human.
As for those 'good days " he spent with Meredith, the last days of her life...I do not think that anyone could ever, ever describe them as good. Just totally sick.....

He did indeed value the life of a dog over that of a human.

So did Hitler. He cried for days over the death of his dog and was a vegetarian because he loved animals so much....but could kill human beings without blinking an eye. Crazy how some people are wired.

So the raped Meredith... :furious: Her poor family. I don't know how they can keep from going crazy knowing all of the details and how many times LE were within range and she was still alive. I am so insulted that the actually waved at LE on his way to kill her. Unreal. :mad:

Do we know if he raped any other victims? Is that part of his MO?
Sorry if that has already been answered...tia

I just read this today, what a vile excuse of a human Hilton is! What truly blows my mind is how he told Meredith that she was going home, giving her a sense of false hope, and then he killed her anyway. This is so evil, and mean spirited! However, I am sadly not surprised that Hilton raped her, and had suspected as much, as Hilton strikes me as a total control freak. LE hadn't disclosed this before, but in one article, I seem to recall that they had said something to the effect that they could file "over a dozen charges" in Meredith's case. I have to say, I'm truly horrified and can't believe the offhanded callousness Hilton has displayed in describing Meredith's last days. Hilton has truly descended to a pathetic waste, and I so feel for Meredith, her family and friends, and her beloved Ella. :furious:

I just saw this, OMG! It's just exactly as what all of us had speculated earler. That poor sweet girl. The horror she endured at this pig's hands!:furious:

This vile is a poor excuse for a human.
I say that LE should play just as nasty and dirty as he plays.
"What are you talking about, Gary?" "We never made any deal with you."

In his (Hilton's) talking about the crime and what he did to Meredith, I imagine he derived great pleasure from telling his story, really got off on it. His words are that of a sociopathic, psychopath, vile monster!Typical.

He should die a long painful torturous death! :furious:
Why are there such scum alive on this earth???

Quote from the GBI transcript:

"EAH, I MEAN, YOU KNOW. IT'S BEEN TRYING FOR YOU. I'M SURE THESE CASES ARE EMOTIONALLY WRENCHING. CB: YEAH.
GMH: FOR YOU.
CB: YEAH.
GMH: BUT, THAT'S YOUR DAMN JOB. (LAUGHS) SO . .

I just read this entire transcript and can barely breathe.

I have never seen something like this published; I wonder if it is even real.

Her parents. I cannot even imagine them reading this.

He certainly knew every back road in North Georgia. He apparently did know all the details about expensive hiking equipment. He also must have come from a wealthy family originally, just a guess based on his description of kitchen knives and his utter arrogance acting like he is the one in charge, even when he talks to the investigators. And at one point, he said 'we' instead of 'I' which makes me wonder if there were others involved. He has a serious stutter, at least in the printed transcript.

I am going to try and sleep. What a disturbing thing to read.
Here is the transcript from cnn, as it has the page numbers on it.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/03/25/hilton.transcript.pdf

I am glad that she said how beautiful the creek and the woods were. I believe she must have attained a state of pure peace. Rest in peace, sweet Meredith.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back