Missing Georgia hiker--Meredith Emerson, 24 #4

This man is absolutely sick. I wonder what kind of mental disorder causes someone to do this? Seriously...it has to be something. Normal human beings cannot do this type of horrible disgusting thing. Oh how I pray her parents never read this transcript. What a dirty rotten b*stard. :furious:

Reading and hearing about this case has made me feel so differently towards wilderness places - I'm so wary now! Over spring break we went to the Smokies and then took the Foothills Parkway home - it's a two-lane with scenic overlooks on the western side of the park in Tennessee. I wouldn't even get out of the car when we would stop, and jumped every time a car went by.

That's because what's coming out is that police just didn't see the warning signs with this guy - he must have been parked on backroads - surely they saw him driving a circuit through small towns. He must have been seen on trails more than we know. And when they were searching, he knew exactly where to hide that poor girl so that LE would never find her. I'm not blaming the police, but it's so heartbreaking to know she was still alive for days and no one came to rescue her. :( I know LE must feel a million times worse than I do, but it's a cautionary tale that maybe they need to patrol logging roads and pull-offs more than they do. Maybe there needs to be some federal LE presence on the Appalachian Trail. We did see police cars on the Foothills Parkway, which was comforting, but there were also miles and miles with nobody.

Thank you all for reading this....I felt so awful after I read it....
I am sure that the transcript is real, as all the recent articles about this case quoted from it...
it is way more horrific to read it.
My take on the WE that Hilton uses in talking to them?
He felt a kinship with LE, why, he was working with them, helping them, leading them to the body...note how one of LE keeps saying
" I understand" to him....always a good idea to promote a feeling of kinship I suppose in these types of questionings.
I really, really feel sorry for any of LE who had to listen to his confessions....
they will forever be haunted by this.....

I can't believe he thought she was enjoying herself. What a psycho!

You're right, NNY, he does act as if he thinks he is a member of Law Enforcement, like he is proud or something of being the only one who can solve the crime. He sounds as if he thinks that he is so smart and everyone else is stupid. His arrogance is astonishing.

Here's the quote that bothered me (it's on page 78 on the cnn transcript.)
"Drove to here, I said hey, I gotta get this stuff arranged. We're gonna let you go, et cetera, et cetera. I've gotta move you off here, the law's all over the place and everything."

The transcript just seems like an odd thing to release to the press. It just seems to sensationalize the details of his crimes. Which I guess I had hoped Meredith's family would be spared from having it all released so publically. Not to mention the families of Cheryl and the Bryants.

I do hope she was focused on the beauty of the wilderness around her.

Yeah and I know this is petty and I shouldn't even be bothered by it considering the facts but.. telling the cops to go to the mc'donalds and get him a cup of coffee? You GOT to be kidding me? :furious: And saying Meredith owed him 'sex' (his words were not so nice) because she kept giving him the wrong pin numbers and how the sex wasn't even worth it. I just feel sick over this man and his evil.

Yes, but what I noticed is that when he asked for stuff, like cigarettes, coffee, etc, they just put him off....they never gave him anything, at least on tape...

as for why they released the transcript...perhaps some type of Sunshine law? I do not know...but I really think that Meredith's family already knows all of the awful details....they would have told them in as gentle a manner as possible, knowing that at some point this would come out.....

Very, very haunting look into the mind of a monster!
Oh, and I also feel sorry for his lawyer now!
I really think that Meredith did keep hoping that help was on its way....and that she had hope until the very end...

Good find Native and Truly!!
I don't get the sense that Hilton was living the script of any movie or snuff flick. He didn't even have a plan for the most part.

I don't agree that he has a speech impediment or stutter. I hear many radio and TV personalities use the I,I,I thing and I think it is an adopted affect. I've heard Rush, Randi Rhodes, Rob Morrow of Northern Exposure, Woody Allen, Mike Trevisano all use it and try to make it cool. Then it becomes a habit. A guy driving his van around all day would pick this up.

I also think LE could have done a better job on this interview by letting Hilton complete more sentences and listening more to what he was trying to explain rather than questions they wanted answered. That opportunity is gone forever now.

Someone earlier asked if he wore the clothes of the ATM card owners to fool the ATM camera and LE. I thought it was a real possibility but we'll never know.

This was so sad. To see Meredith thru GMH's eyes. He had more feeling for Ella than he did for her. He was so concerned about removing his jacket and sweater from her body so there would be no DNA and poured bleach on her yet he wasn't concerned about the DNA he left behind when he raped her? Did you catch his statement that her body wasn't the first to be dumped in Dawson Forest?

Did you catch his statement that her body wasn't the first to be dumped in Dawson Forest?

Yes, Emily, I did pick up on that, too. That was one of the things that I didn't like about the way LE questioned him for his statement/confession. Why didn't their ears perk up when he made that comment and encourage him to continue talking about it.

Several posters at the Tallahassee Democrat forum ( homepage > community > crime > Cheryl Dunlap) noticed this, too.

If I am not mistaken, the very moment that he made the remark about the bodies, his lawyer jumped right in and stopped the interview. It was just at the end....
From my reading of the entire transcript ( though I did skip his happy thoughts on cutting off his victim's head) it was clear to me, that since his lawyer was right there in the car, that LE was being very careful not to let him ramble too much, lest the lawyer cut the interview off!
I also think that it must have disgusted LE to hear him gloating, but I feel the real reason they kept interrupting was to keep the interview moving forward.

That's a good point, NNY. I sort of glossed over the decapitation, too. I really didn't want to hear how it was like chicken or lamb.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back