Misty gets 25 years - Are you happy with the St. John's verdict? ***POLL***

Are you satisfied with the St. John's verdict?

• Yes, justice was served.

Votes: 75 25.8%
  • No, she should have gotten a longer sentence because of the drug charges

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • No, she should have gotten a longer sentence because Haleigh is still missing

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • No, I think she should have had a lighter sentence because of her upbringing

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 30 10.3%
  • No, MC should have received the same or lesser sentence than RC.

Votes: 128 44.0%
  • other, I believe that Misty will get her judgement when it is due

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • No. She should have gotten YO given CR testimonies

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really have mixed emotions about Misty's sentencing. I was surprised by 25 years, only because I kept telling myself she would probably receive 15 years.

However, she was caught on tape, the evidence was solid, there was no way she could have denied evidence that strong. And Florida has laws in place specifically to punish drug offenders harshly.

Her attorney IMO did not serve her to the best of the ability. The last person he should have put on the stand as a witness was Misty's mom. Could he not see or feel the climate of how the local justice system consider the entire Croslin family as habitial lawbreakers.

The sadness that sits on my heart is that being in prison the only thing Misty will learn is to be a prisoner. Prison is not a place of rehabilitation. It's a place of punishment.

This was afterall a court proceedure to sentence Misty on her drug crimes. But no matter how they tied to dress it up, we all know the lingering ghost of Haleigh, a missing and probably dead child, was all over that courtroom.

I'm remaining optomistic. Now that they have all been sentenced, I believe we will see the focus change and justice for Haleigh will come very soon.
It's in my prayers.
jmo

I am OK with the sentence because I believe sooner or later the mandatory sentencing laws will be revamped to make more sense. At some point, the sentences of all the players will likely be commuted. I hope it happens because 25 years for what Misty was convicted of is ridiculous--I'll bet the Putnam County SO [who may eventually be tried] gets far less of a sentence than Misty, if he is convicted.

For now it's the law, so I can live with it. I am convinced it will not remain the law for long--Misty will be out before 25 years because I think what happened with these players will help citizens and lawmakers be more aware of the existing inequities in sentencing laws.

I am never happy to see a young person go to prison. I don't know enough about the law to say that it was fair or not fair. I'm just sad to see a young life wasted over something like that.
I don't think she should have got more time than Ronald did, but life isn't fair, and neither is the justice system there.
You're in my head again, TL2. :)

Well said. I agree.

I am not happy and feel the judge overstepped some boundaries, took sides, used the Haleigh case/her personal feelings during sentencing IMO.
I hope Fields can get some help for himself because his client IMO is being tried for the murder of Haleigh Cummings, was set up with the drug deal, and is being unjustifiably sentence. A man with more priors got 2 charges dropped and only 15 yrs for his other 3 charges, that right their should of been brought to the table yesterday IMO!
What reason would Misty have now to tell where Haleigh is? Heck, she said LE won't listen to her when it comes to Ron and he is the one that the courts are handling with kid gloves and giving preferred treatment, something is very wrong in that town IMO!

Misty Croslin gets 25 years, followed by five years of drug-offender probation. Judge also levied the required $500,000 fine.
updated 12:28am October 9, 2010
"Snip" Read More http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2010-10-09/croslin-gets-25-years

"Snip" By RICHARD PRIOR
Misty Janette Croslin told Judge Berger that she was entitled to a break because, "she learned her lesson not to mess with drugs." She wants to go back to school, is so young, wants to get a job and have a family.

The judge was left with few sentencing choices for Croslin, she could have sentenced Misty as an adult on the first-degree felony.

That would mean a minimum mandatory prison term of 25 years up to a maximum of 30 years.

Or the judge could have followed defense attorney Robert Fields' recommendation and sentenced her as a youthful offender.

The problem with that, Berger said, was the sentencing maximum was six years.

"I had to think ... is this case worth six years?" the judge said. "It's not.

"You made choices. Now you're going to have to live with the choices that you made."

Assistant State Attorney Jason Lewis urged Berger to give Croslin the maximum term.
Croslin said she was willing to take her share of the responsibility but wasn't going to shoulder it all.

She didn't hesitate when she admitted to Lewis that drug-dealing was wrong.

Croslin also said she probably wouldn't have been the focus of a drug investigation if it were not for the disappearance of HaLeigh Cummings.

"This case is not about HaLeigh Cummings, Misty," Berger said. "This case is about you and your co-defendants trafficking in drugs."

Crystal Sheffield, starred and occasionally glowered, at Misty for most of the hearing.

Misty said she had been raped for the first time in the seventh grade. It had happened several times since.
Misty took care of a legless great-grandmother when she was 6, feeding and cleaning her.

The family lived in campground tents for prolonged periods, she said.

When she met Ronald Cummings, he was 24; she was 16.

Her attorney then asked why she stayed with Cummings if, as she said, he dragged her around, threw her against a wall and choked her.

"I loved him," she said. "And he was better than where I was."

Lisa Croslin, took the stand and admitted that she had been a "terrible" mother.

Misty mouthed "I love you" as the elder Croslin left the stand.

QUOTED FROM JVM's Issues program...10/8/10..regarding Misty's sentence..

BEHAR: Here`s my big issue, and it`s called turn of the screw. Misty is charged with a total of eight counts, but today`s sentencing was only for one count, and she got 25 years, a quarter of a century. So why not sentence her to everything? Could this be a clever way to turn the screw and say to Misty, hey, ok, you`re getting 25 years, but you could get the rest of your life, Levi Page?

LEVI PAGE, CRIME BLOGGER: Yes. I mean, that`s a good way to get her to talk. And you know, I agree with Chelsea in the sense that Ronald is involved, but I disagree with Chelsea saying that Misty has told all. I mean she`s failed lie detector, she failed a layered voice analysis. I think she knows more than what she`s saying. And it`s obvious.
end of quote...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

underlined by me...

I have given much thought to the 25 year sentence of Misty...and went back again and again to these men's comments.....and IMO...this may be a "squeeze" play..to panic Misty into talking....(also, her sentence...may be..reduced..in the near future..time will tell how plays out)...

And one thing is for sure ...that we have heard about her sentencing in the courtroom yesterday...It was described that Misty became hysterical.....Perhaps if this is a strategy to put pressure on Misty..for more information...it may work...Misty is now freaked out...It is reality to her now...PLUS more sentencing coming from her other charges...Whatever it is she needs to finish telling the LE...that last bit of information..I hope she can....

IMO..the LE are right where they want to be...with these individuals...
and the LE are NOT opening their mouth to tell us anything...and what they ARE letting know...is STILL controlled...information....coming from them...

I find myself very frustrated with this case....days on end...but have to remind myself...that the LE has stratagies/methods/ that I know nothing about...so I am hoping their plan is working to finally make an arrest...

I have also feel that this case will be solved...and soon...

My thoughts on this are they we have a legal system in place that is supposed to provide for fair and equal system for all defendants whether rich or poor. And we know that isn't always the case. Poor defendants do not get the legal representation that rich defendants get IMO.

We have a bonding system in place which is supposed to provide for equal bonding for all defendants. I have only seen one bond anywhere near as high as these defendants in the two years I have been following the booking site in PC. They piled many charges of this sting over the course of several weeks. Thereby the bonds being very high and unreachable by poor defendants. These were not big time dealers but rather small street sales.

I do not like seeing what I call questionable legal tactics used to get to the resolution of Haleigh's case, by a court system being tweeked. The sentences for all of the defendants much too long IMO and different than what we see with other drug dealers selling far more street poison than what these five sold.

Were these defendants not very bright to find themselves in this situation? Absolutely they had to know how much PC wanted to solve this case. And they made enemies, remember this all came from a tip! They ticked off the wrong person(s).

None of this brings Haleigh home. It gives the justice system a big black eye in my opinion.

Do I want Haleigh's killer(s) charged? Absolutely with everything in me. But not this way. It is a fundamental value issue of a fair balanced justice system which for these defendants was not equal to other defendants. MOO

Not with the Son of Sam laws, Trident...I do believe Florida has their own version and anyone convicted of a crime, cannot benefit. JMHO

ETA:

Just rethought that, Trident...she's not convicted of anything HaLeigh, so she just might be able to do so...I take back the SOS reference....JMHO

The Supreme Court ruled 8-0 that New York's Son of Sam law was unconstitutional as written as it violated the 1st Amendment. Most states modeled their Son of Sam laws after NY's and have failed to revise them.

While Florida does have a Son of Sam type law, they have avoided the Constituionality of their law by resorting to General Forefeiture statute where the State is entitled to any proceeds of a crime. That includes proceeds from selling your story.

LE has to have a case (Haleigh's) to even present to the SA. I fear that this case was botched in the very beginning by one or more 'bad apples' so to speak. Every department has one, two, or more 'bad apples' and these are ofentimes weeded out. I have seen them come and go myself. JMO. I feel critical evidence was lost in the beginning. As I have stated in other posts; I am usually a staunch LE supporter, but not in Haleigh's case.

LE stated rather early on that Misty is the 'key' to solving Haleigh's case. I feel that this sentence yesterday was tied in with Haleigh's case and should not have been. I do not like the way it has all played out. I have never seen a Judge not give thought to the age, criminal record, or lack thereof, in a case that renders serving so many years. The reason there was no PSR in Misty's case is because of the way she plead. A pre-sentencing report will have everything in it the Judge needs to know, such as prior convictions, and criminal history. I know LE had Misty dead to rights on her drug dealing because it was on video and she was clearly guilty. I am just saying that this Judge threw the book at Misty without taking her age and lack of criminal record into consideration. I really feel it was unprofessional of this Judge to utter Haleigh's name in the proceeding as well as to have asked her the question about money. What did she expect Misty to say? No, that she did not like the money? To me, that was a question where she (the Judge) knew how Misty would answer and making herself seem even worse. I firmly believe that this Judge showed unprofessional contempt for Misty. I usually applaud any Judge for a lenghtly sentence in any crime, but not this one. Six years to a young person would seem like forever, much less the 25.

I am going to give up on my tirade after this post, and even though I do not like anything about Misty (or any of the people involved), I still feel it is unjust for Misty to serve 25 years while Ronald and the others got 15!

JMO, MOO, and INHO

My thoughts on this are they we have a legal system in place that is supposed to provide for fair and equal system for all defendants whether rich or poor. And we know that isn't always the case. Poor defendants do not get the legal representation that rich defendants get IMO.

We have a bonding system in place which is supposed to provide for equal bonding for all defendants. I have only seen one bond anywhere near as high as these defendants in the two years I have been following the booking site in PC. They piled many charges of this sting over the course of several weeks. Thereby the bonds being very high and unreachable by poor defendants. These were not big time dealers but rather small street sales.

I do not like seeing what I call questionable legal tactics used to get to the resolution of Haleigh's case, by a court system being tweeked. The sentences for all of the defendants much too long IMO and different than what we see with other drug dealers selling far more street poison than what these five sold.

Were these defendants not very bright to find themselves in this situation? Absolutely they had to know how much PC wanted to solve this case. And they made enemies, remember this all came from a tip! They ticked off the wrong person(s).

None of this brings Haleigh home. It gives the justice system a big black eye in my opinion.

Do I want Haleigh's killer(s) charged? Absolutely with everything in me. But not this way. It is a fundamental value issue of a fair balanced justice system which for these defendants was not equal to other defendants. MOO

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

RC seemed just as keen to do drug business as Misty to me and 25 years seems a lot for a few pills IMO. But it's the law and she didn't get her charges reduced so it is what it is.

I could only be happy about these sentences if someone was in prison for what happened to Haleigh, this isn't justice for Haleigh.

I voted justice was served.

The verdict I agree with, she was guilty of what she was accused of...JMHO.

I'm not comparing her sentence, in my mind, to anyone else that was charged for the drug bust. But that's just me.

As for her sentence, JMHO but I really don't expect to see her serve that long. I do expect for an appeal to be filed. Not just one either. I really do expect to see that she will have a reduction in sentence.

I know she has other charges she has to face, when is she due in court for them? I think that at the end of the day, she'll have a lot of years she's sentenced with---but she will get reductions and more than likely serve less time or comparable time to the others already sentenced. JMHO.

She has a great bargaining chip. RC is said to have used his right?-- Information.

No I am not happy with today's verdict...I think she should've gotten a lighter sentence.....I agree with Lone...this was an overkill, imo....

IMO, Misty never felt that she would actually get all those years...I think she had her mind wrapped around that YO program...when the judge said 25 years....IMO, that broke her in half.....I think we will be hearing about "new developments in the Haleigh case" sooner than we think....I honestly do believe that this sentencing is going to open Misty up....at least I hope it does.
JMO of course

Plus staff at St. John's County Jail told Misty she qualified for YO status and so did Chelsea and Misty's father, so I am sure Misty was hoping she would be given a second chance before they locked her up and threw away the key. When her sentencing is done, Misty will be locked away for the rest of her life. The two Judges, Berger and La Rue are focused on punishing criminals rather than rehabilitating them and personally I do not agree nor support this philosophy.

I am not happy and feel the judge overstepped some boundaries, took sides, used the Haleigh case/her personal feelings during sentencing IMO.
I hope Fields can get some help for himself because his client IMO is being tried for the murder of Haleigh Cummings, was set up with the drug deal, and is being unjustifiably sentence. A man with more priors got 2 charges dropped and only 15 yrs for his other 3 charges, that right their should of been brought to the table yesterday IMO!
What reason would Misty have now to tell where Haleigh is? Heck, she said LE won't listen to her when it comes to Ron and he is the one that the courts are handling with kid gloves and giving preferred treatment, something is very wrong in that town IMO!

I'm disgusted with that Judge. To say that Haleigh was not factor, how does she explain that Donna Brock who obtained the prescription, gave the drugs to Misty to sell, and did not have the mitigating factors that Misty has was sentenced on the same charge to 15 years.

I am disgusted that the Judge and the SA are holding Misty more responsible than the adults who used her to protect themselves.

Misty Croslin sentenced to 25 years in drug case, ordered to pay $500,000 fine
Croslin, 18, was last person known to have seen 5-year-old Haleigh Cummings alive

The former stepmother of missing Putnam County girl Haleigh Cummings was sentenced to 25 years in prison Friday for drug trafficking.

Misty Croslin, 18, offered a tearful apology for selling oxycodone pills to an undercover detective. She blamed her actions on her upbringing.

"It is wrong to drug deal, but when you grow up poor, that is what you do," she testified, WTLV-Channel 12 in Jacksonville reported.

A judge also sentenced Croslin to five years of drug-offender probation and a $500,000 fine.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...1_croslin-and-cummings-donna-brock-hope-sykes

Justice was served!

His Honor sentenced her to the minimum mandatory negating YO status...WHY?

MC still has 7 other charged that call for a 30 year minimum, I'd say this girl is going away for a very long time...I just hope she makes good use of her time incarcerated, gets herself an education and do right for herself.

While I get she lived what she's learned throughout her life, it's not an excuse that a judge would like to hear..IMO

While it might garner sympathy, she had choices each time she went to sell drugs to the OC...she even thought it to be a setup at one time, always go with what your gut tells you...I believe she felt important while wheeling and dealing. She has the most charges out of all of that crew. She seemed to have fit in very well...JMHO

Her parents are truly to blame, IMO, RC shouldn't have had an underage girl as his livein babysitter but ultimately, MC is responsible for her own behaviors/actions, she knows right from wrong. I just hope something good comes from this and she does grow to be a productive member of society. I do believe in second chances...JMHO

Still doesn't bring HaLeigh home!

Where is HaLeigh!

ETA:
I don't understand these astronomical fines...how will she ever pay back half a million dollars???

I too believe in second chances but never for a killer of a child or a psychopath which IMO Misty is.

I think the Judge should have made allowances for Misty's youth and her troubled past. I feel like the Judge is including blame for HaLeigh's disappearance in her decision to sentence Misty to 25 years. This case was about the drug charges, not about HaLeigh. jmo

LE has to have a case (Haleigh's) to even present to the SA. I fear that this case was botched in the very beginning by one or more 'bad apples' so to speak. Every department has one, two, or more 'bad apples' and these are ofentimes weeded out. I have seen them come and go myself. JMO. I feel critical evidence was lost in the beginning. As I have stated in other posts; I am usually a staunch LE supporter, but not in Haleigh's case.

LE stated rather early on that Misty is the 'key' to solving Haleigh's case. I feel that this sentence yesterday was tied in with Haleigh's case and should not have been. I do not like the way it has all played out. I have never seen a Judge not give thought to the age, criminal record, or lack thereof, in a case that renders serving so many years. The reason there was no PSR in Misty's case is because of the way she plead. A pre-sentencing report will have everything in it the Judge needs to know, such as prior convictions, and criminal history. I know LE had Misty dead to rights on her drug dealing because it was on video and she was clearly guilty. I am just saying that this Judge threw the book at Misty without taking her age and lack of criminal record into consideration. I really feel it was unprofessional of this Judge to utter Haleigh's name in the proceeding as well as to have asked her the question about money. What did she expect Misty to say? No, that she did not like the money? To me, that was a question where she (the Judge) knew how Misty would answer and making herself seem even worse. I firmly believe that this Judge showed unprofessional contempt for Misty. I usually applaud any Judge for a lenghtly sentence in any crime, but not this one. Six years to a young person would seem like forever, much less the 25.

I am going to give up on my tirade after this post, and even though I do not like anything about Misty (or any of the people involved), I still feel it is unjust for Misty to serve 25 years while Ronald and the others got 15!

JMO, MOO, and INHO
I completely agree with you on the money question. If that judge was asked that same question, she might not have admitted to love, but she would've been answering from the perspective, of having plenty of money, & not knowing what it's like to not know when your next meal is coming. I don't think Ron made Misty do without food, but once you've been raised like that, the thinking never goes away. They were kids who had to fend for themselves, & I guess that's when Tommy learned to steal from neighbors. MOO, So, the judge might not 'love' money, but I bet she loves her education, & her diplomas, & her family dinners & outings, & vacations...all paid for with money. Yeah Misty admitted to loving money. She loved being not broke, & having a little spending money, & yes she loved the drugs & partying it paid for. She herself, might not realize where her money values come from, but once they're there & ingrained, there there for good.

My older brother is kind of rich-worth several million & he's an attorney & works for a big construction company overseas. He just turned 50, just got married for the 1st time, his wife is expecting, they bought a nice house in Prosper Texas...all of this in less than a year's time! Up until then, he didn't spend hardly any of his money. Why? because he loves the security, that money in the bank gives him, & he doesn't want to ever be poor again...like we were, while growing up in Ark. We never did without food, or utilities, but he remembers very well what being poor felt like. When he was in jr high, we moved to Tex., & my dad got a better job, & my mom beame an RN, so money was good...but my brother still felt like that poor kid in Ark. still does, I think. So, Misty loves money, & loves what having money can do for her. I can understand that. I remember Tommy's call to Flo, when he was blaming Joe. It got brought up that Lindsey had turned down $200 for something, & he was flabergasted. This call was about Haleigh's murder, but he was still preoccupied with that little bit of money. Old habits die hard.

According to Florida law she got what she deserved. It has nothing to do with Ronald, Haleigh, or Misty's Mama.

Misty is not a child! She is an adult. This was Misty's drug trafficking sentence, nobody else's. I think Ronald got away with too little time, but this wasn't his trial. It was Misty's.

According to Florida law she got what she deserved. It has nothing to do with Ronald, Haleigh, or Misty's Mama.

Misty is not a child! She is an adult. This was Misty's drug trafficking sentence, nobody else's. I think Ronald got away with too little time, but this wasn't his trial. It was Misty's.

Yes, technically this is all true, so there MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE LAWS!!!! A man, raped this child when she was in 7th grade and got 8 years, she will do a lifetime because of his transgressions against her. Ron had a rap sheet longer than bookie sheet and never served a day, until now, but still got 2 charges dropped and will do less than her, but more than a child rapist. I think people could recover from drugs faster than a child would recover from a rape, so what is wrong with our laws????? If 1st offense for drug trafficking is min 25 then rape of a child should be LWOP. JMO. :furious:

I have to ask myself, if Misty grew up anywhere else with different parents, different surroundings, would she be in this mess today? I think not.

JMO, MOO, and INHO

I hear your and other posters' passion for this.

Is there anything we can do? Write? Email? make a voice heard, if nothing else?

tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member