Misty says: Haleigh's Kidnapper 'Ruined Our Lives'

Kim, I sure hope you are wrong! I don't think many people know what happened that night, and the ones that do know, are all blood related.....except Misty. Unless she talks, I worry the truth may never be known.

I hope I'm wrong too! Oh Lord, I hope I'm wrong!

But, and this is a big but, she can not be blaming Ronald over the drug bust! He is the one that warned her that this man could be undercover. He kept telling her this, and she just blew him off! So, the fact that she wishes she had never met Ronald, can't have anything to do with drugs. That only leaves Haleigh. This is the reason I think she is coming closer to telling something. I can't see where distancing herself from Ronald, with regard to drugs will help her. What am I missing? I don't understand what you guys are seeing or hearing, that I don't.

I don't think you are missing anything and I agree with you on this point. It's a very, very key point. I don't want to say anything more about this, other than it makes me think that LE knows what it's doing.

Since there were so many interpretations of what Misty said, I decided to listen to the tape myself. In the News4.Jax video, It sounds to me like:

Misty says: "I hate this, man...they're trying to ruin our whole lives."

Then her father says: "Yeah....whoever did this to Haleigh is the one that ruined our lives. And, they better hope they find out before I do."

This leads me to think, again, that Misty is using a colloquial "they" to refer to whoever committed the abduction. If Misty participated by assisting in some fashion, then in her mind this doesn't count as committing the crime. She is blaming "Them". She is not ready to disclose who "They" are yet. I think her father is playing along, with the hope that she may disclose more. I really think he feels this is best for her in the long run and, being her parent, he certainly knows how to work with Misty.

I don't think you are missing anything and I agree with you on this point. It's a very, very key point. I don't want to say anything more about this, other than it makes me think that LE knows what it's doing.

Since there were so many interpretations of what Misty said, I decided to listen to the tape myself. In the News4.Jax video, It sounds to me like:

Then her father says: "Yeah....whoever did this to Haleigh is the one that ruined our lives. And, they better hope they find out before I do."

This leads me to think, again, that Misty is using a colloquial "they" to refer to whoever committed the abduction. If Misty participated by assisting in some fashion, then in her mind this doesn't count as committing the crime. She is blaming "Them". She is not ready to disclose who "They" are yet. I think her father is playing along, with the hope that she may disclose more. I really think he feels this is best for her in the long run and, being her parent, he certainly knows how to work with Misty.

She's using the present tense though "...they're trying to ruin..." It suggests that whatever she's talking about is an ongoing event that's still happening, like LE activity and the nastiness of the jail officers.

If she meant that Haleigh's abduction ruined her life it would be more natural to refer to it in the past tense like Hank is doing. "...the one that ruined our lives".

She's using the present tense though "...they're trying to ruin..." It suggests that whatever she's talking about is an ongoing event that's still happening, like LE activity and the nastiness of the jail officers.

If she meant that Haleigh's abduction ruined her life it would be more natural to refer to it in the past tense like Hank is doing. "...the one that ruined our lives".

BBM

Or... the nastiness of the Cummings Clan-- Teresa, GGS, and Ron? :waitasec:

Could be, imo.

Does misty ever use singular personal pronouns other than "I"? Is this some sort of lack of education oddity?

But, and this is a big but, she can not be blaming Ronald over the drug bust! He is the one that warned her that this man could be undercover. He kept telling her this, and she just blew him off! So, the fact that she wishes she had never met Ronald, can't have anything to do with drugs. That only leaves Haleigh. This is the reason I think she is coming closer to telling something. I can't see where distancing herself from Ronald, with regard to drugs will help her. What am I missing? I don't understand what you guys are seeing or hearing, that I don't.

I thought it was her family, not Ron, that was trying to warn her about the UC. If Ron thought the guy was UC, I doubt he would have been still doing deals with him.

Well, to be honest I think Misty did just fine after Haleigh had been kidnapped or whatever... She got married, she got to be on TV, she traveled, she had people like Donna get her stuff, she had a promising little business... She would have been just fine if them pesky LE people hadn't ruined her life by having her videotaped and arresting her and making her answer all those irritating questions.

Great post. I think you have put this into a proper perspective, Donjeta. Misty was in hog heaven after Haleigh disappeared. But darn it, she just didn't know how good she had it. Sitting in a jail cell day after day does have a way of spoiling the good life!

The transcript in the link is wrong, but the video has more of the context:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=154169&catid=3

Listening to the video this is what I think they're saying, more or less:

Hank: I tried to tell you. I know I tried to tell you. But no, you had to do your own thing just like you always had. Well, it's too late to cry over spilled milk anyway, so just forget about it. We all gotta do what we gotta do. I don't understand why this is all happening, but it's happening. Don't cry.
Misty: I hate this, man! They're trying to ruin our whole lives.
Hank: Yeah... whoever did this to Haleigh is the one that ruined our lives. And they better hope they find out before I do...
Misty They're trying to ruin our lives. They shouldn't be ruining our lives. They didn't ruin the person's life that did this, not ours!

The last sentence didn't come out quite as she wanted to, I think... but anyway, it seems clear to me that "they that ruin her life" in her opinion and "the person that did this" are separate, not the same folks.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=154169&catid=3

Hank: I tried to tell you. I know I tried to tell you. But no, you had to do your own thing just like you always had. Well, it's too late to cry over spilled milk anyway, so just forget about it. We all gotta do what we gotta do. I don't understand why this is all happening, but it's happening. Don't cry.
Hank: Yeah... whoever did this to Haleigh is the one that ruined our lives. And they better hope they find out before I do...
Misty They're trying to ruin our lives. They shouldn't be ruining our lives. They didn't ruin the person's life that did this, not ours!
The last sentence didn't come out quite as she wanted to, I think... but anyway, it seems clear to me that "they that ruin her life" in her opinion and "the person that did this" are separate, not the same folks.

I believe that should read, "they need to ruin the person's life that did this, not ours." I didn't go back and listen to it, but I believe that is how it was worded.

It is really hard to make out what the meanings of their words are,,,when the vids given to us, just show snippits..however, Misty is always a hardass, and she is a very manipulative depending on who she is talking to......In this snippit, she doesnt start crying until Hank, verbally hardens on what she has told LE about Tommy....saying he doesnt believe TC had anything to do with HC missing....I could tell in his voice he is tired of the bs and THATS when old story teller Misty starts crying....she knows this will usually change the subject to either her Mom or Dad.......Hank and Lisa will never be smart enough to know,,if they want this over with,,,they need to abandon her for a while...STOP sending her money, letters,and DO NOT accept her phone calls....How is it these people can be so dumb????? They have much more influence over MC than LE in MO....

If only Misty's parents could read this, southernvagirl. This is great advice IMO. I like that you have taken a hard look at the reality of Misty's behavior. When you claim the people involved here are dumb, I don't see that as an insult. It is the truth of the condition of how they lead their lives. Misty is uneducated in the basic of handling life situation and problems. She has no morals, and no character of what's truly right and wrong. I see this as both the outcome of little or no parental training and no formal education in school. It's my belief that Misty parents were probably raised the same way they have raised her - no control and no guidence. It's been passed on from generation to generation in the Croslin clan.
I like your stuff, vagirl.

Dear Misty,

You and your family, your friends, your associates, and your ex-husband and his family ruined your lives. No one else did that for you. You all make very poor choices, look selfishly at the world for what it SHOULD give you despite any merit or contribution from you all. None of you looks past the mirror in your head which suggests the entire world owes YOU simply by being in it.

That's not how the world rolls.

Sincerely,
The Universal Rule That Says It Is NOT All About You

Great note to Misty, debs. I'll pay the postage and provide the stationery for sending your well crafted letter to Misty's jail cell!
azwriter

Has misty ever used the word, "man" before when speaking to show frustration. I can't recall. I used to hear the word "f#$k" from her. Is this word, man, a substitute for the f bomb or did she really mean a person. Her switching her singular and plurals drives me crazy.

I guess it is time for me to read some of misty's transcripts...ugh! She is not specific in any of her speech patterns. She speaks in generalities...grrr.

Having recalled the premise on suspects who change up the pronouons, it is a belief that thay are lying when they do that. In her case, it is more difficult because it could be poor use of the English Language....don't know.

I believe that you are correct in that there should be a comma before the word "man". However, I think the use of words such as "them" or "they" refers to a fictitious entity, meaning "whoever" she is blaming for the Haleigh abduction and all that has subsequently happened. Misty still refuses to admit any involvement or give up the critical piece of information that she has which will solve this case. She hasn't reached the breaking point yet.

LE is being very smart in their approach, IMO. I think they will achieve their goal. They know what a girl wants.

"Politics makes strange bedfellows". I think many people will be surprised later on and have a new admiration.

You're right, "they" could be anybody.
Just to clarify, though. These folks don't use correct grammar. We all know that people speak differently in different parts of the country. I am guilty of saying "they" or "them" when the person is unknown, and I have heard many others do the same thing. So I really don't think she is assuming it is more than one person... she just doesn't know who it is. (Or trying to imply she doesn't know.)

I thought it was her family, not Ron, that was trying to warn her about the UC. If Ron thought the guy was UC, I doubt he would have been still doing deals with him.

It was in one of the "drug bust" videos, where Misty tells the UC that Ronald was suspicious of him, but she assured Ronald that he could trust him. Sorry, I don't remember which one, but it did happen.

I don't think that Misty has much concept of present vs past vs future tense, since she dropped out of school so early.

Another reason I think she was referring to whoever took Haleigh is that, from her father's response, he seems to have thought so too. He picked up on her thought and added to it.

ETA: Donjeta, I just saw your later post in which you added Misty's last sentence. What you said makes sense and I agree with you, now that this context is given!

I don't think that Misty has much concept of present vs past vs future tense, since she dropped out of school so early.

Another reason I think she was referring to whoever took Haleigh is that, from her father's response, he seems to have thought so too. He picked up on her thought and added to it.

She may not be able to explain the grammar of tenses but I do think she's able to use it in her speech. Children can use grammatical constructions long before they learn about their names at school.
I think Misty is blaming the people who arrested them and who suspect her of criminal activity for ruining their lives and I think Hank is trying to redirect the blame toward the abductor and remind Misty that she should be blaming that person for ruining their lives. She picks up part of that but the way she continues the discussion, saying that they should be trying to ruin the person's life who did this [took Haleigh], makes it more than clear to me that she treats the people ruining her life and Haleigh's abductor as separate entities. If the red and the green are the same the statement becomes nonsensical.

Edit: We were posting at the same time, never mind!

'Cause we all know, it's all about you, Misty.
How about what it did to Haleigh's life?

I could be totally wrong (and I probably am LOL) but I think that she is referring to it in present tense because it is still going on....
Yes Haleigh disappeared (past tense) BUT
they are still investigating (present tense)
they are still questioning MC and family (present tense)
articles are still be published (present tense)
news shows and such are still reporting it (present tense)

which is continuing to "ruin their lives" (present tense)

Now even though the event happened in the past, it is still very much in the public eye in the present and hopefully will be solved in the future.

therefore, it is in MC's eye a current event which is happening now.
JMOO

ETA: I really don't see MC as thinking of either the LE and/or whoever "took" Haleigh as 2 seperate entities sometimes. Because of what 1 did (took Haleigh) which pointed attention to the family, she feels that it caused the other 1 (LE) to continue to pay attention to the family which is continuing to "ruin their lives".....the 2 are interchangeable in her vocabulary in my opinion. and JMOO :smile:

BBM-Hank and Misty are referring to LE here? That is how I decipher it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjeta

BBM-Hank and Misty are referring to LE here? That is how I decipher it.

It can't be LE that hank is talking about.

This is a misquote. It should read.... They shouldn't be ruining our lives, they should be ruining the life of the person that did this, not ours.

That's what I hear, anyway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back