Mitigating Factor: Filicide Children Killed by Parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the link and believe that I would consider this more a "spouse revenge" filicide. Since Caylee's father was not in the picture, Caylee's two "parents" were Cindy and Casey. My theory is that after the argument, Casey got back at Cindy (and her alleged threats to gain custody of Caylee) by killing Caylee. Of course, this is just an opinion.

It sounds like KC for sure, except that neonaticide is when a newborn is killed within the first 24 hours of life. Caylee's murder doesn't fit the definition.

I believe that, had George and Cindy not finally realized Casey was pregnant, little Caylee would not have lived past her first day on earth. An article I read says that these girls/woman who commit neonaticide do not think of the babies as living beings. They think of them just like any other unpleasant item that is expelled from their body - not something you'd want to keep and nurture.

Chilly Willy:

IMO you are right-- if she had been able to conceal the pregnancy, the baby would not have lived past birth. So it may have been a "delayed" neaonaticide, or, as I stated previously, a "spousal revenge" filicide.

I am a big fan of statistics. I have not seen a thread like this started yet. Please feel free to add interesting studies, facts, or statistics relating to Parents who murder children.

Here is some good info I found....

The Numbers
Children under the age of 5 in the United States are more likely to be killed by their parents than anyone else. Contrary to popular mythology, they are rarely killed by a sex-crazed stranger. FBI crime statistics show that in 1999 parents were responsible for 57 percent of these murders, with family friends and acquaintances accounting for another 30 percent and other family members accounting for 8 percent. Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mothers.

If you would like to read more of this article it can be found here
http://www.slate.com/id/2063086/

This makes me want to cry!

I posted this in another thread (I will try and find the actual link)
Basically it said that mothers that kill their children usually dispose of their body in a *womb like* way so in a large body of water and or in a bag..
They also usually dispose of them within 10 miles of where they live!

I promise I will try and find the link ! I cant remember which thread I put it in !

It was from the centre for missing exploited childrens page of statistics. ( I think)

I always wondered why if they know this why they didnt concentrate in that area if they suspected the mother

Chilly Willy:

IMO you are right-- if she had been able to conceal the pregnancy, the baby would not have lived past birth. So it may have been a "delayed" neaonaticide, or, as I stated previously, a "spousal revenge" filicide.

Spot on, both Penelope and Chilly!

If FBI has a profile for KC (and you know they do) this research was probably part of the construction of that profile...It's interesting that Caylee fits into the probable age range for these types of victims, and the profile fits Casey as well as far as age, lack of a high school diploma, and lack of employment.
The two main methods in these mother cases were suffocation and drowning, either of which would explain why there was no trauma evidenced in the bones. Also, these mothers tend to place their deceased children in womb-like environments (trunk, garbage bag), and tend to dispose of them within one mile of their homes...it's fascinating, really how this seems to fit...

alittle off subject but a REASON.......mother in Pittsburgh......(child on death's door)beat and kicked him so bad (brain damage, etc) 19 months old, because she was FRUSTRATED with him......4 days after Christmas.........just reminded me of kc being tied down with her snothead........WTH???

I am a big fan of statistics. I have not seen a thread like this started yet. Please feel free to add interesting studies, facts, or statistics relating to Parents who murder children.

Here is some good info I found....

The Numbers
Children under the age of 5 in the United States are more likely to be killed by their parents than anyone else. Contrary to popular mythology, they are rarely killed by a sex-crazed stranger. FBI crime statistics show that in 1999 parents were responsible for 57 percent of these murders, with family friends and acquaintances accounting for another 30 percent and other family members accounting for 8 percent. Crime statistics further reveal that of the children under 5 killed from 1976 to 1999, 30 percent were murdered by their mothers while 31 percent were killed by their fathers. And while the strangers, acquaintances, and other family members who kill children skew heavily toward males (as does the entire class of murderers), children are as likely to be murdered by their fathers as by their mothers.

If you would like to read more of this article it can be found here
http://www.slate.com/id/2063086/

So, the odds are 95% that someone in the Anthony family killed Caylee. Big odds.

Are these articles written by or about Jose Baez?

http://swartzlenamon.com/deathpenaltyblog/in-depth-look-filicide-is-different-1#more-99

http://swartzlenamon.com/deathpenal...s-different-15th-annual-death-penalty-seminar

http://swartzlenamon.com/deathpenaltyblog/category/jose-baez

A general profile of mothers most at risk of committing filicide has developed. Typically, the mother is young, around 21 years of age. She is single and has had multiple unstable relationships with men. Either she is mentally deficient or an apparently normal young woman, forced to put off high school graduation, college, or career because of pregnancy. She is unemployed and has financial difficulties. She may have suffered from serious mental illness in the past, or only manifested undiagnosed personality changes after the birth of her child. Roughly, one fifth of these mothers have been victims of physical or sexual abuse.

Courage is what we, as death penalty attorneys, must muster in the face of horrible facts, a judge who loathes the client, a prosecutor who is determined to kill the client, the blood-lust of some members of society, and even the media-induced witch hunt against a client.

This is the type of courage that lawyers like Adam Tebrugge and Jose Baez demonstrate on a daily basis: Adam in the face of horrible evidence against his client, and Jose in his fight for his high-profile client.

In the face of all this, we must find the strength to file even those motions that we know will not be granted. We must do this, not only for the sake of due process and justice, but because sometimes, just sometimes, those motions are granted, and we win.

When the odds seems insurmountable and the outlook is bleak, we need to reach down deep inside and find the courage to write and argue one more time.

I was wondering the same thing maybe this is his secret defense. Try to get manslaughter instead of life wop for a fancy word someone made up to take the place of child murderer.

Insecticide=bug killer
Filicide=baby killer

We should discuss this upstairs I remember someone bringing this up way back when we first started getting info on this case.

Are these articles written by or about Jose Baez?

http://swartzlenamon.com/deathpenaltyblog/in-depth-look-filicide-is-different-1#more-99

http://swartzlenamon.com/deathpenal...s-different-15th-annual-death-penalty-seminar

http://swartzlenamon.com/deathpenaltyblog/category/jose-baez

A general profile of mothers most at risk of committing filicide has developed. Typically, the mother is young, around 21 years of age. She is single and has had multiple unstable relationships with men. Either she is mentally deficient or an apparently normal young woman, forced to put off high school graduation, college, or career because of pregnancy. She is unemployed and has financial difficulties. She may have suffered from serious mental illness in the past, or only manifested undiagnosed personality changes after the birth of her child. Roughly, one fifth of these mothers have been victims of physical or sexual abuse.

Courage is what we, as death penalty attorneys, must muster in the face of horrible facts, a judge who loathes the client, a prosecutor who is determined to kill the client, the blood-lust of some members of society, and even the media-induced witch hunt against a client.

This is the type of courage that lawyers like Adam Tebrugge and Jose Baez demonstrate on a daily basis: Adam in the face of horrible evidence against his client, and Jose in his fight for his high-profile client.

In the face of all this, we must find the strength to file even those motions that we know will not be granted. We must do this, not only for the sake of due process and justice, but because sometimes, just sometimes, those motions are granted, and we win.

When the odds seems insurmountable and the outlook is bleak, we need to reach down deep inside and find the courage to write and argue one more time.

This article was written by the firm that Jose B. used when Casey's case was a death penalty case. Terrance L. was hired by Jose as a DP lawyer, as Jose was not qualified.

It's just chalked full of juicy tidbits, isn't it. This one really made me sit up and take notice "we must find the strength to file even those motions that we know will not be granted"...isn't that exactly what JB has been doing? And to think it's all for the sake of due process and justice and the off chance that one will be granted and they'll win.

I was wondering the same thing maybe this is his secret defense. Try to get manslaughter instead of life wop for a fancy word someone made up to take the place of child murderer.

That's what it sounds like to me!

My husband has a female relative who had 3 children that her mother ended up raising because she couldn't be bothered. This relative once told me with a straight face she loved having cute cuddly babies, but she didn't like them anymore when they got to be "kids." :eek:

At least she was honest with her own feelings so someone could keep eyes on the children. Often Mother's will like the babies when they are little and as they begin to individuate (become their own individual with their own mind and own words/voice) the Mother no longer wants them around. Caylee was at this age as well. Also, I have serious concerns that CA never let KC & Caylee bond without insisting everything had to be her way as she was a Nurse and a Mother. I think KC thought she would never be able to live up to her Mother's expectations of what it was to be a Mother.

I doubt it, as it would require Casey to admit guilt and/or mental illness. I'm not sure a jury would buy it as a defense either.

Fillicide isn't a made-up word, the word and the studies have been around for years and years and years. These studies are written by social and medical statisticians and other scientists, so the language tends to be detatched. Most of the raw data for the US studies comes from of all places the CDC (Center for Disease Control).

My frustration with these studies and even more so for studies on the death penalty, is for all the detached language many of them seem to have a particular theory or axe to grind. I'd rather drawn my own conclusions-- thank you very much.

Oh well, what's the phrase... "Lies, damn lies, and statistics?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member