MN MN - Brandon Swanson, 19, Marshall, 14 May 2008

What if the “Oh *advertiser censored*” had absolutely nothing to do with his fate at all? What if, after talking non stop for the better part of an hour, a LONG time for a cell call to last before the battery goes dead even with today’s technology, much less back then when batteries didn’t last near as long, he was just saying that because he realized his phone was getting ready to die and had NO way to contact anyone from that point further?

I mean if you’re lost, at night, in the middle of nowhere and your only life line is that phone and it’s flashing it’s going to turn off, and you KNOW that’s really horrible news, that’s pretty much the perfect circumstance for an “OH *advertiser censored*” moment!

Reposting the link to Jeff Hasse’s Missing Person Case Study, an excellent in depth discussion of Brandon’s case and the search efforts .
User:Jeff Hasse/Missing Person Case Study -- Brandon Swanson - Wikiversity

5 HRD dogs gave full trained final responses to a field cultivator.
Difference between revisions of "Search and rescue/SAR mission 2008 02" - Wikiversity

Also some questions here answered by Jeff, re: the river, cell phone, etc.
Difference between revisions of "Talk:Search and rescue/SAR mission 2008 02" - Wikiversity

WOW!!!! Thank you SOOOO much for reposting those links, was an extremely smart move on your part! Once a thread gets to be as long as this one, nobody takes the time to go back and re-read everything.

Somehow I missed those and it was quite an eye-opening experience. In fact so much so, it completely concluded the entire case in my mind.

Everything I stated prior still remains true in my opinion, as far as it being accidental, but my theory was missing two pieces. To me they were unimportant pieces and not needed to come to a proper conclusion, but it sure helps to finish putting the puzzle together!

That was the nature of the accident and what happened to his body. I think those links you posted definitely puts to rest both of those now. It undoubtedly explains the missing body part of the saga. However there could still be a tad of mystery concerning whether or not he got injured prior to his death.

Still as I stated previously, the ONLY thing that separated this story from any other typical, everyday, run-of-the-mill accidental death WAS the missing body. Only that in and of itself. It’s not like there were other clues, such as blood spots or missing shoes or shell casings. Just “missing” in this case is what created the entire mystery. Had the body been found in a field somewhere and an autopsy said he died of hypothermia, this case would have never gotten off the ground.

So never was any doubt in my mind he had some type of accident but now after reviewing your links, concluded that accident was hypothermia, it was what ultimately did him in.

I mean the facts speak for themselves. The temperatures were in the high 30’s AND he was soaking wet AND he had not been dressed for the outdoors AND had been exposed to it for at least a couple hours AND was physically exhausted, his body was depleted.

That is hands down, the absolute PERFECT situation for a death by cold. The perfect recipe for disaster. Many, MANY people have died of hypothermia in FAR less severe conditions than that! The only question left was, why did no one find the body?

But after reading that FIVE very trained dogs ALL hit on his LAST location as being on the front of a combine parked on the side of a field??? Well, I mean, seriously, what more does a person need? Yep, case closed for me LOL.

As far as I am personally concerned, this is what happened to him.

HE got lost, HE got wet, HE got hypothermia, HE died, HE got chewed up by a combine after he died.

This also explains why the body was never located even 10 years later and considering that active searches are STILL taking place that makes it even more believable. And these are not just regular searches, these people are experts and have everything laid out and mapped out in a grid like style. They are not leaving any stone unturned and have not come across any bones yet. Lots of people have gone missing but years later the remains were found by some hiker or somebody riding a bike or blah blah. But his never have.

Only possible question that could remain is whether or not the driver of the combine was aware he had run over a body and I have absolutely no experience at such things. Maybe someone reading this does?

I don’t know whether or not a combine machine could handle chewing up a body without the operator being aware of it? I would lean towards yes it could happen. But without knowing how loud they are, how powerful they are, or how many acres he was doing, I would have no idea. As well, the pattern in which he used.

If it was a large area and he wasn’t going straight back-and-forth and was moving in an outer square like pattern, it’s more than plausible that on a return trip he wouldn’t have even spotted the remains. Assuming they would still be there anyway, as if a combine is powerful enough, maybe it could chew up a body and spit it into the back holding compartment??? I’m just clueless about that.

I think however at this point it’s such an extremely minor detail that it’s just not relevant at all whether or not the operator did or did not know.

Last edited:
WOW!!!! Thank you SOOOO much for reposting those links, was an extremely smart move on your part! Once a thread gets to be as long as this one, nobody takes the time to go back and re-read everything.

Somehow I missed those and it was quite an eye-opening experience. In fact so much so, it completely concluded the entire case in my mind.

Everything I stated prior still remains true in my opinion, as far as it being accidental, but my theory was missing two pieces. To me they were unimportant pieces and not needed to come to a proper conclusion, but it sure helps to finish putting the puzzle together!

That was the nature of the accident and what happened to his body. I think those links you posted definitely puts to rest both of those now. It undoubtedly explains the missing body part of the saga. However there could still be a tad of mystery concerning whether or not he got injured prior to his death.

Still as I stated previously, the ONLY thing that separated this story from any other typical, everyday, run-of-the-mill accidental death WAS the missing body. Only that in and of itself. It’s not like there were other clues, such as blood spots or missing shoes or shell casings. Just “missing” in this case is what created the entire mystery. Had the body been found in a field somewhere and an autopsy said he died of hypothermia, this case would have never gotten off the ground.

So never was any doubt in my mind he had some type of accident but now after reviewing your links, concluded that accident was hypothermia, it was what ultimately did him in.

I mean the facts speak for themselves. The temperatures were in the high 30’s AND he was soaking wet AND he had not been dressed for the outdoors AND had been exposed to it for at least a couple hours AND was physically exhausted, his body was depleted.

That is hands down, the absolute PERFECT situation for a death by cold. The perfect recipe for disaster. Many, MANY people have died of hypothermia in FAR less severe conditions than that! The only question left was, why did no one find the body?

But after reading that FIVE very trained dogs ALL hit on his LAST location as being on the front of a combine parked on the side of a field??? Well, I mean, seriously, what more does a person need? Yep, case closed for me LOL.

As far as I am personally concerned, this is what happened to him.

HE got lost, HE got wet, HE got hypothermia, HE died, HE got chewed up by a combine after he died.

This also explains why the body was never located even 10 years later and considering that active searches are STILL taking place that makes it even more believable. And these are not just regular searches, these people are experts and have everything laid out and mapped out in a grid like style. They are not leaving any stone unturned and have not come across any bones yet. Lots of people have gone missing but years later the remains were found by some hiker or somebody riding a bike or blah blah. But his never have.

Only possible question that could remain is whether or not the driver of the combine was aware he had run over a body and I have absolutely no experience at such things. Maybe someone reading this does?

I don’t know whether or not a combine machine could handle chewing up a body without the operator being aware of it? I would lean towards yes it could happen. But without knowing how loud they are, how powerful they are, or how many acres he was doing, I would have no idea. As well, the pattern in which he used.

If it was a large area and he wasn’t going straight back-and-forth and was moving in an outer square like pattern, it’s more than plausible that on a return trip he wouldn’t have even spotted the remains. Assuming they would still be there anyway, as if a combine is powerful enough, maybe it could chew up a body and spit it into the back holding compartment??? I’m just clueless about that.

I think however at this point it’s such an extremely minor detail that it’s just not relevant at all whether or not the operator did or did not know.
Chewed up by a combine? What does that mean exactly?

So where’s the body?

Destroyed by the combine harvester machine. I don't think there would be much left.

Theory: Not my personal one, just a scenario of what could have happened.

The farmer didn't notice, especially if the big rotating blades were at the rear. He went off into his fields for several hours.
Any tiny pieces left behind were eaten by birds and other animals.
He parked his combine in a different place than where he left it the morning and the rain washed any blood away.

Have they used cadaver dogs in their fields?

Destroyed by the combine harvester machine. I don't think there would be much left.

Theory: Not my personal one, just a scenario of what could have happened.

The farmer didn't notice, especially if the big rotating blades were at the rear. He went off into his fields for several hours.
Any tiny pieces left behind were eaten by birds and other animals.
He parked his combine in a different place than where he left it the morning and the rain washed any blood away.

Have they used cadaver dogs in their fields?
That’s really not how a combine works, but I’d sure be interested where that combine was parked when Brandon went missing.

Haha, I'm not really a farm girl, does it show?
I do think that those fields and the farm and the combine need to be looked at with forensic precision, with blood/cadaver dogs.

Then, we can at least rule that theory out.
Lol! No worries. Combines can definitely be deadly, but I’m thinking a scent on the combine could mean two things..

If a combine were to run over him (or his already deceased body) would that be enough to get his scent on the front of it? I’d find it hard to believe the combine operator wouldn’t see a body, you’ve got really good visibility up there. But if somehow that happened, the body could be totally obscured from view afterwards.

But I think it would me more likely that the farmers just leave them out in the fields overnight during the harvest? They do that around here quite a lot. When it’s time to call it a day they just the combine way out in a field somewhere and return the next morning.

In those cases, part of the field has been cleared. If you find yourself walking through a field like that it’s easier to walk where it’s clear. And if I were cold and wet walking through a field like that, if I came across a combine parked out in the field the first thing I would think is maybe that could help me. Probably not, the cab’s probably locked up and everything electrical probably needs a key in the ignition - but if I’m cold, wet, desperate and out of options I’m going to give it a try.

I can envision a scenario where he thinks maybe if he could just break into the cab... Long enough to leave a good scent.

Wait a minute... I just went back and re-read that. It wasn’t a “combine” at all, it was a cultivator. Something like this:
EE84E281-F330-4113-A772-19CDE1051A10.jpeg
Significant difference. And significantly different ways to get a scent on one. So I guess the big question is still: where was this thing on the night Brandon went missing?

I apologize ahead of time if I ruffle any feathers with my style of writing! Sometimes I’m not very diplomatic and it could very well be seen as being sarcastic or facetious or think I’m better than anyone else or making fun of posts or bragging! Occasionally all of the above..

Though I do adore humorous sarcasm, I am VERY particular when and where I use it and will ONLY employ it when it’s at the SOLE expense of others! So ya know, I’ve got that going for me :)

Some people will even go as far as to call me long winded!!! ABSURD NOTION!!!. But I’ll come back to that on paragraph 26.

But I assure you that is not the case. At least not here and not on these type of forums. Now YouTube and such...yeah, ok, I will own that title and have little patience suffering fools! And I get the fun part of REALLY letting loose as an anonymous person, thus ensuring no fear of retribution :)

I have always been under the impression while having absolutely nothing credible to bring with it, that places like this and especially like this, brings with it a membership of people that are of higher moral fiber, intellect, and are all-around good and decent people!!! Yes I see the occasional crackhead researching something here to find out about one of their buddies, but I sure as heck don’t see them becoming a member!!! Course, every once in a while someone slips through like me...lol.

So if I do offend anyone, it’s only because I’m just trying to be very matter-of-fact and get to the point. I just said all of the above based on the very first sentence of my response below because as I wrote it I could see someone thinking I was being a smart *advertiser censored* and I truly am not!

Post: I just do not see the relevancy of that question at all and apparently you are not alone, was at least one other person interested as well. But I’m not sure what that proves?

It doesn’t really matter where it was parked the night he went missing or ANY other night after as well. The ONLY way it’s location could have an affect on the case “details” as we know them, details we are accepting at face value, meaning a solid belief they are credible enough to warrant the automatic acceptance of them (I do for many reasons) is if it was shipped out of state for repairs BEFORE he went missing and it did not return until AFTER the dogs hit on his scent.

This is because we have absolutely NO timeframe to go on whatsoever. The only thing we know as far as a timeframe is concerned is roughly when he went missing. That’s it. That’s all. So even though we are able to safely assume a lot of things about this case, up to and including a cause of death complete with a “walk away, case closed” conclusion, the one thing we don’t have a clue about is a timeframe. There is no evidence at all concerning one, much less something that could even vaguely be called conclusive.

We can speculate how long it took him to die from hypothermia, but no one will EVER know how long the body remained where it was until the hypothetical combine came along to dispose of it.

We are not even allowed the luxury to speculate on natural decomposition or animals scavenging, none of that would apply to the situation with the combine. His scent could have been picked up by just an ankle bone the combine hit.

The only aspect of a timeline that we can probably accurately detail with confidence, was he probably died within 24 hours of leaving his car, and his body remained in a certain location up until... it could have been that he died at one location and dogs brought his femur bone 25 miles away to the farmers field where his combine hit it and the dogs picked up the scent!

Also keep in mind they stated it was found on the FRONT of the combine, therefore we can safely assume he was NOT in the cab area as stated. But then again, one must allow for the very remote possibility that the cab was locked and no one was around with a key, so the dogs were unable to take it past that point. We don’t know the finer details of little things like that, but I’ll sleep good not knowing them as well.

I’m extremely happy having the rough, broad details on this case because so very very few have them! The case stands out amongst all of the others because so many out there were willing to take it 100 steps farther and provide us with those rough, yet eye-opening details. I’m OK guessing farmer John didn’t bother to lock that door.

I end by stating that it was extremely difficult for me not to utilize and dole out some much needed sarcasm and I for one would appreciate everyone displaying some empathy towards me for holding back and being a decent human and not revealing what a lowlife I can be!!!

My recent experiences bets a couple people out there will take my last paragraph seriously and will lash out and critique me for it : (

Last edited:
As far as potential perpetrators of foul play - assuming it wasn't someone totally random or unknown person - I have been thinking Israel Keyes. He was listed as in the west during that time period, but the Midwest around then, and given his patterns it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to make that trek. Nor would it be beyond Keyes' MO.

Does a FOIA request need to be made locally?

IK was traveling May 11th through May 17th 2008. He was known to stalk state parks. Brandon’s car was found near a state park. IK liked to make his murders look like accidents/lost hikers. What would you say if came across a stranger in the middle of the night in the middle of no where....”Oh, *advertiser censored*”. Those were his last words on the phone. Still trying to link IK to Minnesota in this time but I know that its a state on FBIs list.

IK was traveling May 11th through May 17th 2008. He was known to stalk state parks. Brandon’s car was found near a state park. IK liked to make his murders look like accidents/lost hikers. What would you say if came across a stranger in the middle of the night in the middle of no where....”Oh, ****”. Those were his last words on the phone. Still trying to link IK to Minnesota in this time but I know that its a state on FBIs list.

do you have any more info on where he was traveling during those dates by any chance?

i've long been suspecting IK in Brandon's disappearance. He had mentioned in interviews "blitz style" attacks -- if Brandon was walking over fences when he was talking to his dad, IK could have been hiding behind one, and like you said the "oh sh--" makes sense.

The public timeline of Keyes' travels/movements only includes MN one time as a pass-over on his way to North Dakota. Yet we know that he had a good military buddy who was from MN and Keyes was a big Vikings fan. I don't think he came here just once as a connecting point.

Also very interesting to note -- Brandon is listed on the FBI's site. Yet...the general consensus is that he had an accident. How many people who are thought to have died accidentally have been listed on the FBI site? Not a whole lot as far as I know.

Most people would think accident because why would you think of a serial killer in a rural spot like this? Also considering that statistically speaking, the vast majority of people are unlikely to ever encounter a serial killer, it's more fathomable to people that he could've accidentally been run over with a combine or other such harvester.

Unfortunately, since IK is gone, it's unlikely we'll ever know for sure. But based on his past crimes and behaviors, hopefully we can at least recover Brandon one day. I'm thinking he's at the bottom of a lake.

Does this guy still give updates on the search? Everything I read from him is quite old and I remember reading it years and years ago but can’t find any new info from him

I don’t get if he was drunk to the point of his senses being impeded how come his father didn’t pick up on it on a near 2 hour phone call? I could understand if he spoke to his parents for like 5 minutes before the call dropped but he was on the call for a long time. He would have been slurring and missing words or rambling. You can clearly tell when someone’s drunk on a phone call yet his father didn’t say anything about it. Years ago I thought he might have been bitten by a snake or something. The “oh ****” is entirely dependent on the tone of his voice when he said it. If he said it because he realised he forgot something from his car or walked too far out it would sound a lot different in urgency than saying it because he was about to slip down a ditch into the river. I hope we find out some answers about what happened to him

I don’t think he was drunk. Per this article The Strange and Abnormal: The unfortunate disappearance of Brandon Swanson a volunteer firefighter looked over the SAR and noted that both the people at the party and Brandon’s parents said he seemed fine and not intoxicated.

also to note that Brandon’s dad said that Brandon mentioned fences and that when he said “oh sh—“ it sounded like he slipped on rocks.

I don’t think he was drunk. Per this article The Strange and Abnormal: The unfortunate disappearance of Brandon Swanson a volunteer firefighter looked over the SAR and noted that both the people at the party and Brandon’s parents said he seemed fine and not intoxicated.

also to note that Brandon’s dad said that Brandon mentioned fences and that when he said “oh sh—“ it sounded like he slipped on rocks.

also, the glasses being found in the car is still so bizarre to me. I can’t really think of a non-foul play scenario where that would happen. Even being disoriented (say after a fall or something) it seems weird that he would take off his glasses, although I suppose stranger things have happened.

also for what it’s worth: there’s a very strong possibility IK was responsible for the disappearance of James Tidwell in Texas (after he fled AK after Samantha Koenig’s murder), and James’ eyeglasses were found in his truck too.

Recently visited the area and drove around. I would estimate the land is 80% flat, slightly hilly farm land, 15% prairie grass, and 5% wooded grove. The town to me sits almost at a slant and the roads leaving town run at an angles. I drove in the Tech School parking lot and left the area. I know it doesn't look right, but I wonder if he headed towards the Canby Golf Course road. Going that way would get you out of town to avoid being pulled over. It's only a couple miles away from the school. Then possible cuts down on the country backgrounds to where car ends up. The golf course road is gravel with evergreen trees and a club house up on a hill. He had been describing a golf course road to his parents, with bad phone reception & dropped calls, possibly meant this one? Might make sense where car ends up. I don't if he had a flashlight in story, or batteries dead from long winter. Maybe Brandon opens all car doors to shed light on ditch situation or from other cars crashing into it in the darkness. From moving around in 40 degree weather maybe his glasses fog up and takes them off. Back in the day I sled in the ditch multiple times and local farmers would pull us out with their tractors. Got the well deserved you kids probably should go home for the night. One time it was 8 above and freezing, we crashed into a field. We walked to nearest farmhouse with a light on and some drunk votech guys having a party took us in. They told us HS girls we should dress warmer for the winter weather. If he falls into the river and gets out I would say he has to get to the first farmhouse light he sees. I don't know if he carried a lighter and could attempt a fire in a wooded area. He talks about heading to a tavern, so one in Canby? There is a golf course in Minneota as well." Oh *advertiser censored*" could be hitting barb wire fence, electric fence, falling into drainage ditch, river, many possibilities. I'm 5'6 and in my 20's and 30's could walk 3.4 mph on an incline level 4 on a treadmill. I don't know if a person can really calculate walking through farmland. To get the car where it ended up he was probably buzzed, but not fall down drunk. Maybe being male, young, slightly impaired would be 3.2 mph. If you took off jogging, maybe got a lot farther than a person would think. Very tragic story.

Recently visited the area and drove around. I would estimate the land is 80% flat, slightly hilly farm land, 15% prairie grass, and 5% wooded grove. The town to me sits almost at a slant and the roads leaving town run at an angles. I drove in the Tech School parking lot and left the area. I know it doesn't look right, but I wonder if he headed towards the Canby Golf Course road. Going that way would get you out of town to avoid being pulled over. It's only a couple miles away from the school. Then possible cuts down on the country backgrounds to where car ends up. The golf course road is gravel with evergreen trees and a club house up on a hill. He had been describing a golf course road to his parents, with bad phone reception & dropped calls, possibly meant this one? Might make sense where car ends up. I don't if he had a flashlight in story, or batteries dead from long winter. Maybe Brandon opens all car doors to shed light on ditch situation or from other cars crashing into it in the darkness. From moving around in 40 degree weather maybe his glasses fog up and takes them off. Back in the day I sled in the ditch multiple times and local farmers would pull us out with their tractors. Got the well deserved you kids probably should go home for the night. One time it was 8 above and freezing, we crashed into a field. We walked to nearest farmhouse with a light on and some drunk votech guys having a party took us in. They told us HS girls we should dress warmer for the winter weather. If he falls into the river and gets out I would say he has to get to the first farmhouse light he sees. I don't know if he carried a lighter and could attempt a fire in a wooded area. He talks about heading to a tavern, so one in Canby? There is a golf course in Minneota as well." Oh ****" could be hitting barb wire fence, electric fence, falling into drainage ditch, river, many possibilities. I'm 5'6 and in my 20's and 30's could walk 3.4 mph on an incline level 4 on a treadmill. I don't know if a person can really calculate walking through farmland. To get the car where it ended up he was probably buzzed, but not fall down drunk. Maybe being male, young, slightly impaired would be 3.2 mph. If you took off jogging, maybe got a lot farther than a person would think. Very tragic story.
Welcome to Ws Sunbeam10, great first post!

I have a really simple question. I have done a lot of reading about this case, and one thing that never has come up is street signs. After the initial call to the parents where Brandon thought he was in lynd why didn't Brandon try to find one st sign to tell him where he was? I get it was dark and he was partially blind but I'd he just found one sign he would of been found. Like if I'm lost and on the phone with someone trying to find me I think the first thing I'm looking for is a street sign. Just makes no sense to me why Brandon or his dad didn't have him try and find one at an intersection. I looked at Google maps st views and anywhere where I could look that had street view in the area of an intersection had a sign.

Do we know roughly where Brandon's dad looked for him? I have read between Marshall and Lynd is where Brandon thought he was. I also read about a golf course and a dirt road. The course is on the northeast part of town while the tavern I believe is 106 e railroad st lynd, MN which is in the southwest part of the town. Lynd kinda looks like a pencil on a slant. The two locations are in the exact opposite direction. Knowing where his dad looked might not seem that important but, it could lead to ideas that Brandon didn't want to be found or possibly someone with with Brandon that made him lie to his father.

I actually had someone tell me they knew someone who knew what happened, and that he was buried in someone’s basement. I suggested they report it to authorities, who knows if they did.

???? I am new to this thread and spent over 2 hours reading every post, clicking every link, etc. Neesaki, you have been an avid writer and responder in this thread....and you are just now saying that you have a second hand account of what happened????? WHAT HAPPENED THEN? What did they say, who's basement, how did he get there, was he already dead, did they kill him, etc.. Did your friend report it to police????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trotski24
Back