MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he realized they were police with the 911 operator, did the university grad inform that person of the vehicle that turned around in his driveway? If he forgot to do it then, then did he walk up and tell the responding officers? All in all when did DR first tell someone about the vehicles? Do we have that answer?

Very good questions. This description of a small dark car with lights close together really perplexes me. As you stated: why not tell the 911 operator the description of this vehicle? If DR had just been told of a kidnapping on his property AND he had seen a car then wouldn't this be the moment to say what he saw?! (But then why did LE delete or expunge the recording? or did they? DR himself admitted that LE told him that he was 'way too nervous' on that phone call to be concerned about wood being stolen. If LE heard that nervousness then why delete the recording? That recording would be definite leverage against DR.) And, as you stated, did DR tell Officer Bechtold about the car that night? We don't know. As for when DR told someone about the vehicles we only have the 10-24-89 newspaper account(as documented by ELOCsoul +shergal) but don't know of anything prior. Common sense says that if DR saw this car with the possible image of a woman(child?) in the passenger seat then this would be critically important information to translate to LE. Which is why I asked if DR's statement of the 'car with lights close together' was made pre-Kevin or post-Kevin and as already documented DR made the statement on 10-24-89. But the focus should really be whether or not he made any statements between 10-22-89 and 10-24-89....much more critical....more critical in the sense of urgency.

We know what he told the reporter within days of the abduction. We don't know weather it was factual as he saw and remembered it

We don't know what he told Officer Bechtold that night nor what he said at later interrogations and we have no idea as to his demeanor or state of "nervousness" but that all should be recorded in the case file.

We have no idea what was said on the 911 call.

What I have read strongly suggests that the 911 was deleted because no one involved in the investigation thought it had any value as evidence. (is this assumption correct?). If someone close to the crime acted inappropriately nervous or told conflicting accounts of what he saw, he would be questioned very thoroughly and everything he said well documented. Was this yet another glaring error?

Claiming that someone is under suspicion due to nervousness or inappropriate responses in the past, is an old interrogation trick and should be taken too seriously.

The 911 call wasn't saved because it seemed like a mistaken call. Would it have been saved if he had made that person aware of what he just witnessed?

Human, thank you for sharing this link. I have seen this video before and it gave me pause to consider just how many unreported cases of this kind are out there. I imagine the cases that are known about represent just a fraction of reality. I am thinking many souls would rather repress the memory forever if they could.

Did LE do a thorough search of the inside of DR's house in 2010? With dogs too?

I like the simplicity of a statement that Joy made, "either he is lying or telling the truth" so I will add to that and ask you, is someone who slept through a helicopter for 3 hours telling the truth?

What's really discouraging is how FBI, LE couldn't see the forest for the trees all those years ago...

Very good questions. This description of a small dark car with lights close together really perplexes me. As you stated: why not tell the 911 operator the description of this vehicle? If DR had just been told of a kidnapping on his property AND he had seen a car then wouldn't this be the moment to say what he saw?! (But then why did LE delete or expunge the recording? or did they? DR himself admitted that LE told him that he was 'way too nervous' on that phone call to be concerned about wood being stolen. If LE heard that nervousness then why delete the recording? That recording would be definite leverage against DR.) And, as you stated, did DR tell Officer Bechtold about the car that night? We don't know. As for when DR told someone about the vehicles we only have the 10-24-89 newspaper account(as documented by ELOCsoul +shergal) but don't know of anything prior. Common sense says that if DR saw this car with the possible image of a woman(child?) in the passenger seat then this would be critically important information to translate to LE. Which is why I asked if DR's statement of the 'car with lights close together' was made pre-Kevin or post-Kevin and as already documented DR made the statement on 10-24-89. But the focus should really be whether or not he made any statements between 10-22-89 and 10-24-89....much more critical....more critical in the sense of urgency.

DR would have had to make the statement to the reporter on the evening of 10/23/1989 or very early on 10/24 for it to have been in the Times on 10/24. The Times is always a day late with news - because they print the paper overnight, and I doubt that was any different back in 1989. This makes me very curious what reporters if any would have even been there as early as the evening of the abduction? Unless they heard sirens, or heard it on a scanner? It might be interesting to talk to that reporter and find out just when and by whom they were told that information. Maybe DR did tell Bechtold, and the reporter heard it from him.

DR would have had to make the statement to the reporter on the evening of 10/23/1989 or very early on 10/24 for it to have been in the Times on 10/24. The Times is always a day late with news - because they print the paper overnight, and I doubt that was any different back in 1989. This makes me very curious what reporters if any would have even been there as early as the evening of the abduction? Unless they heard sirens, or heard it on a scanner? It might be interesting to talk to that reporter and find out just when and by whom they were told that information. Maybe DR did tell Bechtold, and the reporter heard it from him.

I thought the story was that when DR came home from work on the 23rd he met a reporter there and he told her of two vehicles, but she only reported on one.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/0...ing-abduction/

3 minutes into this video. DR says "It's a brief conversation and I said something like, well I'll check it out down here or something to that effect". DR then searches his outbuildings and returns to the house. It then goes on to say DR was not questioned until the following morning.

So the proof is almost positive here that he did not give lead on a vehicle before he went to bed. He didn't say he told bechtold of a vehicle, he only says "well I'll check it out down here" and that's it. So did DR not want to bring up a vehicle yet because when he saw kevin it might have been LE? and he had just finished a 911 call accusing them of stealing his wood already.

3 minutes into this video. DR says "It's a brief conversation and I said something like, well I'll check it out down here or something to that effect". DR then searches his outbuildings and returns to the house. It then goes on to say DR was not questioned until the following morning.

So the proof is almost positive here that he did not give lead on a vehicle before he went to bed. He didn't say he told bechtold of a vehicle, he only says "well I'll check it out down here" and that's it. So did DR not want to bring up a vehicle yet because when he saw kevin it might have been LE? and he had just finished a 911 call accusing them of stealing his wood already.

Maybe he hadn't thought it up yet by then?

I had never thought of that....'that' being that Kevin could have appeared to DR as LE driving through the farmstead-looking for a lost boy. Would make sense time-wise. If DR did indeed see a 'mystery car' at the time of the abduction....then why bother to check his outbuildings? Because the mystery car and Jacob would have been long gone. And why would Jacob BE in one of his outbuildings?

There's 3 things that stick in my mind:

1. Aaron heard a rustling noise in the ditch on the way to Tom Thumb.
2. The perp appeared out of the driveway(coming from the east).
3. The perp proceeded east with Jacob in tow.

I had never thought of that....'that' being that Kevin could have appeared to DR as LE driving through the farmstead-looking for a lost boy. Would make sense time-wise. If DR did indeed see a 'mystery car' at the time of the abduction....then why bother to check his outbuildings? Because the mystery car and Jacob would have been long gone. And why would Jacob BE in one of his outbuildings?

If DR was innocent, he would have thought that Kevin was the abductor and immediately told the 911 operator about the car racing up his driveway around the time of abduction. Timewise that makes sense. If he saw a car at that time, he would have run down to tell the cops this info. Not wait to tell a reporter a day or 2 later.

If DR was guilty, he may think that Kevin driving up his driveway was a PARENT of one of the boys or LE looking for Jacob. When actual cops did show up, DR was nowhere to be found until he 'woke up' and called 911 at 11:23 that night. That is why he didn't mention it. Very early in the morning (3 am or so when cops were not on scene), DR realized his opportunity when he saw the fresh tire tracks, he knew he could redirect cops by telling newspaper that he saw a small car with close together lights. That would make LE look for a vehicle that was NOT like Kevin's. If they found Kevin, they would know he wasn't their guy and would look directly at DR. When DR saw the tracks, he also realized he could cover up even more by putting Jacob's shoe on his hand and placing a footprint directly adjacent to the tire track to make it appear that he was driven away. Does anyone know of any other footprints next to the one deep one from Jacob next to the tire track? If no, you have your answer. DR cleared his own tracks from the scene near Jacob's. Were there any DR prints on that driveway?

Wait, what did DR say he was doing at the actual abduction time? He says that he saw a small car drive around the driveway with a boy or small woman passenger at around the time of abduction (9:15ish) and then went to sleep immediately after that? When did he go to sleep? I wonder if he normally goes to sleep at this hour. His family would know for sure. When did DR go to sleep?

I still do not understand why a dog wouldn't go crazy about evil happening in the dog's very own driveway. Strangers, the smell of fear. Dogs sense that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500