MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry I don't see any direct comment/statement made by law enforcement. I see statements made by news stations who sometimes tend to sensationalize things to make a story more than it is. Does anyone have anything that can be quoted directly back to a law enforcement officer???

Yes, Sheriff Sanner publicly named Rassier as a Person of Interest in the July 3, 2010 St. Cloud Times. The title of the article is "Wetterling Investigation - Sheriff: Rassier 'Person of Interest' - Man Says He will Do What He Can To Help Investigators.

Then on September 29, 2010, The Times reported that no evidence was found after analyzing items taken during the June 2010 search of the Rassier farm. When asked if Rassier was still a POI, Sanner said "If I was the suspect I wouldn't take this as a signal to relax."

This news story from the Mpls. tribune states that DR was named a person of interest.

First part of article: http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shergal1/media/2010search1.jpg.html?sort=4&o=33
Second part of article:
http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shergal1/media/2010search2.jpg.html?sort=4&o=34

It also answers a couple of questions we've had..

Why we can't know what was in the search warrants:
"Judge Vicki Landwehr said their disclosure now "could cause future related searches to be unsuccessful and could create a substantial risk of severely hampering this ongoing investigation."

There were cadaver dogs used at the 2010 search.
"Publicly, the investigation seemed relatively quiet in recent months -- until last Wednesday, when authorities returned to the farm, this time with cadaver dogs, trucks and backhoes."

It was one of DR's relatives (his brother - stated in other articles) who started this story:
"A relative told the Star Tribune in 2004 that the man, said by some investigators to be on a short list of potential suspects, even called authorities that night to report a suspicious car turning around in his driveway."

Why LE was suspicious of DR:
"While the man was questioned in 1989, several investigators have said over the years that his answers always left them "uncomfortable."

Guilty by suspicion huh? Sounds about how things work in Stearns..... but so absolutely wrong. Someday, they'll learn...

Guilty by suspicion huh? Sounds about how things work in Stearns..... but so absolutely wrong. Someday, they'll learn...

Agree. Suspicious? Left LE uncomfortable. Yep. That's certainly a reason to name him a POI.

This news story from the Mpls. tribune states that DR was named a person of interest.

First part of article: http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shergal1/media/2010search1.jpg.html?sort=4&o=33
Second part of article:
http://s100.photobucket.com/user/shergal1/media/2010search2.jpg.html?sort=4&o=34

It also answers a couple of questions we've had..

Why we can't know what was in the search warrants:
"Judge Vicki Landwehr said their disclosure now "could cause future related searches to be unsuccessful and could create a substantial risk of severely hampering this ongoing investigation."

There were cadaver dogs used at the 2010 search.
"Publicly, the investigation seemed relatively quiet in recent months -- until last Wednesday, when authorities returned to the farm, this time with cadaver dogs, trucks and backhoes."

It was one of DR's relatives (his brother - stated in other articles) who started this story:
"A relative told the Star Tribune in 2004 that the man, said by some investigators to be on a short list of potential suspects, even called authorities that night to report a suspicious car turning around in his driveway."

Why LE was suspicious of DR:
"While the man was questioned in 1989, several investigators have said over the years that his answers always left them "uncomfortable."

I have paperwork with Landwehr's signature as well

Probable cause, although he would not elaborate. Same old. Same old.

Not at all a criticism, but I wonder why the Wetterlings have not hired a private investigator.

Exactly what they said about me! Probable cause for a search warrant, but the FBI, BCA, and Stearns County couldn't find a stitch of evidence. Coincidence that the application to detain me was signed by Landwehr....they know who to go to when their "probable cause" should be questioned. Turns out I find out straight from the horses mouth per say, their probable cause, was fabricated a bit

Probable cause, although he would not elaborate. Same old. Same old.

Not at all a criticism, but I wonder why the Wetterlings have not hired a private investigator.

Just because we would all like to know is not reason enough for the sheriff to explain what his probable cause was to the public. JMO.

ADMIN NOTE: You can ask a member about the origin of his/her user name. You cannot "sleuth" that member, nor discuss the member in third person, nor allude to any knowledge of the member's identity.

Questions should be addressed to a mod/admin in a private message. Do not comment about a moderated post in the thread.

Rules: Etiquette & Information

Just because we would all like to know is not reason enough for the sheriff to explain what his probable cause was to the public. JMO.

I once agreed with you, but after this many years, it's time for public knowledge. At what point will the public get this knowledge? When the Wetterling family is no longer alive? After 50 years?

I once agreed with you, but after this many years, it's time for public knowledge. At what point will the public get this knowledge? When the Wetterling family is no longer alive? After 50 years?

Especially being he has a history of saying he has something, which turns out to be nothing

Sheriff John Sanner told the Times that Daniel Rassier is a "person of interest" in Jacob's disappearance.
Video at link.
http://archive.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=856548

Patty Wetterling said Friday that the sheriff shared the news with her the night before, but didn't answer any questions or say anything beyond what he told the media.

"They can't. So we know as much as you know," she said. "I didn't really ask a lot of questions. I was grateful for the heads up."

"It's been my experience that these things take a long time," she added. "You wait and see -- and you hope. We hope we get some answers."

This process is still happening. Let the truth come to us soon.

Patty Wetterling said Friday that the sheriff shared the news with her the night before, but didn't answer any questions or say anything beyond what he told the media.

"They can't. So we know as much as you know," she said. "I didn't really ask a lot of questions. I was grateful for the heads up."

"It's been my experience that these things take a long time," she added. "You wait and see -- and you hope. We hope we get some answers."

This process is still happening. Let the truth come to us soon.

Just to be clear this happened four years ago.

I don't think the Public will ever receive this knowledge....at least not until the case has been solved(as in DR's words-the truth will be known when the case is solved). The sheriff may be on a razor's edge...releasing information may mollify those in the short run but compromise those in the long run. So my assumption is that LE will not release any info....until it either CONVICTS or CLEARS the POI. Until then, it's up to the rest of us to decipher. So waiting for Sheriff Sanner's proclamation will be fruitless...best to continue on investigating not expecting any forthcoming info from LE.

I don't think the Public will ever receive this knowledge....at least not until the case has been solved(as in DR's words-the truth will be known when the case is solved). The sheriff may be on a razor's edge...releasing information may mollify those in the short run but compromise those in the long run. So my assumption is that LE will not release any info....until it either CONVICTS or CLEARS the POI. Until then, it's up to the rest of us to decipher. So waiting for Sheriff Sanner's proclamation will be fruitless...best to continue on investigating not expecting any forthcoming info from LE.

We knew this. It was just venting time with the inability of Stearns Co to solve this case. I wonder how much DAILY time, WEEKLY time, or MONTHLY time they devote to the case. St. Cloud has its own police force so one would think county LE spends time on the more rural areas and smaller cities such as St. Joseph.

We knew this. It was just venting time with the inability of Stearns Co to solve this case. I wonder how much DAILY time, WEEKLY time, or MONTHLY time they devote to the case. St. Cloud has its own police force so one would think county LE spends time on the more rural areas and smaller cities such as St. Joseph.

I appreciate your point. IDK the daily, weekly or monthly time spent on JW's case by LE. 25 years is a LONG time. I suspect their investigation is minimal at this point. Which is my point....it may fall on those here on WS to research and follow up on any tips related to JW. We should not wait for the 'Holy Grail' from some other entity....it may and most likely will not be forthcoming. There's no point in waiting for more photos of footprints or tiretracks or testimony or whatever....we have what we have...and best to start from there.

Since Sterns County will not share their print evidence, is there any chance that residents in the area took pictures of the crime scene?

Why do you think that LE named DR a POI vs a Suspect?

A loose definition:
"A person of interest is someone police want to talk to for information about a case; a suspect is somebody officers think may be involved in the crime, Bellevue police spokesman Greg Grannis said."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle91...e-between-a-suspect-and-a-person-of-interest/

Does Stearns County have a history of naming specific suspects or do they tend to use the term POI? Or both terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500