MN - Mom not at home during fatal Northside fire October 2015

She says she was in the house trying to save the children, not out getting drinks.

I know she was out of the house. She should be prosecuted for that. But people were saying she had enough money for alcohol so she could buy a space heater.

Space heaters are far more dangerous than the oven. The fire report up above goes on and on about space heaters and has little to say about an oven except it is bad news.

What are people supposed to do when they have no heat? I know when our electricty has gone out because of fallen branches on power lines and therefore the furnace cannot run, I have gone to a motel. But what are people with no money supposed to do?

I am saying someone could have bought her drinks. She may have not spent money.

Again, oven is not designed to be used with the door open. If you leave the door open, it can overheat whatever is next to it and cause a fire. Apparently this exact thing happened in this case. So I see no point of arguing that oven can be a a choice of a heating device. It's not designed for this and no expert on fire is going to tell you that you can safely use your oven to heat your apartment. Space heaters cause fires because people leave things close to them. You should never leave things close to your space heater. If her electricity had gone out she couldn't have used the oven because her oven was electric.
And if you have absolutely no choice but use your oven as a source of heat, then the least you can do is watch it when you are doing so.
To not cause fires with your space heater, keep it away from flammable materials.

"One of the most crucial tips to remember is to keep your heater away from drapes, furniture, or other flammable materials."

http://wwlp.com/2015/10/16/space-heaters-can-be-economical-but-also-a-safety-hazard/

The more recent articles about the funeral say she is married. Her husband was at the funeral. So apparently he wasn't at the home during the fire, since she is referred to as the only adult that claimed to have been there.

Totally the point. SMH

No one said that the oven was a good option. What's your suggestion? Shoplifting? Not being poor in the first place? I'd add more clothes, etc., but you can't buy a space heater with lint and crumpled Kleenex.

Not having kids.

For what it's worth, it was not that cold in Minneapolis. I just got heat a couple of days ago and we were just fine with an extra blanket or a long sleeved tshirt during the day. No one was freezing indoors.

Not having kids.

For what it's worth, it was not that cold in Minneapolis. I just got heat a couple of days ago and we were just fine with an extra blanket or a long sleeved tshirt during the day. No one was freezing indoors.
Not having kids is a great suggestion no one in the history of man has ever suggested. I suppose you have the answer as to how to accomplish that for society? Involuntarily sterelizing the poor?

Not having kids is a great suggestion no one in the history of man has ever suggested. I suppose you have the answer as to how to accomplish that for society? Involuntarily sterelizing the poor?

If you have them, you have to watch them.

Your major appliances can break (heater, air conditioner, etc) even if you are not poor.Obviously if you have money you have options such as go to the hotel, or buy some temporary appliances. But if you are broke and have no other options whatsoever than to turn on your oven and open the door (which is unsafe) then I think we can all agree it shouldn't be left un-attended.

Obviously she should have not left those little tiny children alone. I imagine she wil be facing some kind of criminal counts.

I hope she realizes that she does not need children. She can have the fun life or whatever it is she wants to do. No need to complicate it with children.

The more recent articles about the funeral say she is married. Her husband was at the funeral. So apparently he wasn't at the home during the fire, since she is referred to as the only adult that claimed to have been there.

they were separated:

According to the Star Tribune, which spoke to Patsy Thomas, Taneisha Stewart had recently left her husband and had been staying with her mother while she waited to move into her 'own little place'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ied-house-fire-started-left-stove-warmth.html

I have heard that the kids were screaming for their mother, but I have not heard where (probably won't ever be released) where they were found inside the home.

The article in the OP says Latoria was found at the top of the stairs.

they were separated:

According to the Star Tribune, which spoke to Patsy Thomas, Taneisha Stewart had recently left her husband and had been staying with her mother while she waited to move into her 'own little place'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ied-house-fire-started-left-stove-warmth.html

Not cold?

With temperatures at 40F, Stewart said she turned on the stove and left the door open for warmth as the children slept on the floor

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-started-left-stove-warmth.html#ixzz3ovJ6QwZJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I am in NO WAY advocating using an oven for heat, but in case of emergency, I have done it many times - safely. I lived in a very cold 20/30 BELOW zero for years and if/when the electric went out, you could freeze to death inside your house. But I knew this when I moved there so I bought a gas stove and a 100 lb propane tank. When the electric went out, I turned on the oven, herded the kids in the kitchen with sleeping bags/blankets and pillows will do, and had them sleep on the floor. Periodically I opened the oven door, but not for more than 15 minutes or so. Then I shut it again. All this time, the stove was radiating heat, even with the door closed. Of course, I was home, and smart enough not to have anything flammable near the stove in the first place. I even shut the oven off periodically so as not to overheat the thing. We were toasty for over 12 hours that time, but one needs to be careful.

I've used this method several times in emergencies, in several different houses. Maybe not the best method, but it can be done safely. Like I said, I'm NOT advocating anyone do this, just telling my own story.

My opinion safely.

Since she had been staying at her mom's house before, I wonder why she didn't just take the kids back there until the furnace was fixed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good question. She just got her place.

No furniture.

I used to work with the homeless. When they would finally get a place to live, there was nothing. No beds, no dressers, no tables. Nothing.

And the technical definition of homeless fits her even though she was living with family.

To move into a place with nothing is not what most of us would do. For some reason, that made perfectly fine sense to her.

For whatever reason, going back to the family was not an option. And I mean it could be as simple as she finally had her own place and did not want to o back there.

Poverty sucks. People in poverty get used to certain things such as filling out forms with intrusive questions, doing without, figuring out strategies to live with nothing.

I am not following as to what exactly does it have to do with poverty?
It's not like she couldn't afford to pay for heat. She moved into a place with a broken furnace. Furnace was going to be fixed the next day.
I have had my furnace broke for one reason or the other. If I turned my oven on to heat the place and left the door open, the house could have caught on fire.
Would that be blamed on poverty?
She turned her oven on, left the door open, and allegedly gone out.
It doesn't matter if the person who done that was poor or not. Would the oven know that the person who left it open was rich or poor and act accordingly as to only burn the house of the poor person?

I am not following as to what exactly does it have to do with poverty?
It's not like she couldn't afford to pay for heat. She moved into a place with a broken furnace. Furnace was going to be fixed the next day.
I have had my furnace broke for one reason or the other. If I turned my oven on to heat the place and left the door open, the house could have caught on fire.
Would that be blamed on poverty?
She turned her oven on, left the door open, and allegedly gone out.
It doesn't matter if the person who done that was poor or not. Would the oven know that the person who left it open was rich or poor and act accordingly as to only burn the house of the poor person?

Yes, poverty is hard to understand when you have not been there. There are some easy good books to read such as Nickel and Dimed by an author who lived on minimum wage to see what it was like, Really easy reading.

Another option would be to volunteer with an agency and make friends with a family in need. I worked with families in poverty for thirty years as a teacher. My job required lots of family interaction, The last two years I worked in a special program with the homeless families, Poverty on a whole new level for me. A whole new understanding of barriers to overcome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back