MO MO - Ashley Martinez, 15, St. Joseph, 6 July 2004

I think about this case very often. I hope one day they find closure for this girl. Her case is the ONLY open missing case in St. Joseph Mo.
Anyway, here is some compilations I've done of the links you've all provided and things I've found myself. I'm hoping to breathe some new life into the case and bump this post in hopes that one day Ashley logs on and sees how hard her family and community are looking for her. I know that her mother still posts on her FB in hopes to find her.

The case has gone through two lead investigations and over 100+ tips to the police but nothing has panned out. If you have a tip please do not contact the family but rather send it directly to the St. Joseph PD at 816-271-4777 or call the Buchanan County Communication Center at 816-271-4777 or the TIPS Hotline at (816) 238-TIPS. NCMEC Case # #NCMC993587 NCIC Case #M-874158505 Police Case #04-26313

I personally think the case and interest slowed down because people viewed her as just a rebellious teenager but that's not really fair. We've all be there and we all would deserve people wanting to help us get home safe. Anyway, in this case, the family thinks Ashley went willingly with a man but I'd like to point out this is speculation and we don't know for what happened. Here's an outline of events and info that I could put together based on hearsay and articles. I'll do my best to outline which is which of course.

Ashley had a history of having done something similar to this before. Supposedly, in 2001 Ashley went to a friend's house for a sleepover. When her Mother called the friend she was informed Ashley left with a 20-year-old man. 10 hours later she walked over to an acquaintances house and called her mother for a ride home. Ashley was reported as a runaway at the time.

Then on July 6th, 2004 around noon Ashley (aged 15) and her little brother (aged 13) were dropped off at the Krug park pool by her mother. It's important to note the Krug pool is mostly the same layout as it was then. It's officially called Northwest Complex. Ashley's younger brother was at the pool when their mother came back but Ashley was not. Here is where the information on what happened that day starts to get muddled.

1. One version says she got into the car of Christopher Hart and left immediately.
2. Another version says she lingered at the pool several hours. Borrowed a friend's cellphone and called Hart who then came and picked her up.
3. Another version yet says she left with someone but not Hart and may have been going to the convenience store.

The car may have been Hart's father's car which has been missing since the date of Ashley's disappearance but there are some friend accounts that said the car was a maroon car that does not match Hart's father's car description. Another importance to note... while Christopher Hart was reportedly the last person seen with Ashley... there is a news article where the police say he's NOT a suspect. However, in other articles, it's stated they have attempted to talk to him in regards to Ashley and of course one of the reasons he gets pressed into an arrest later is because they suspect she may have ridden with him. So, that's very strange they suddenly decided he wasn't a suspect. The police noted that the same day Ashley went missing so did Christopher Hart.

11 days later after Ashley's disappearance, Christopher Hart was arrested in Olympia Washington but he used an alias and didn't show up in court. On September 7th, 2004 he was arrested again after WA police realized who he was. He was living with a cousin in the area at the time. <--- if anyone could help me find documents and links to smooth out this timeline of arrest events I would appreciate it. This information seems muddled with hearsay.

Then he was sent to state prison and then jail with articles stating that though he was questioned he refused to say anything about her. He acted bizarrely and underwent psych evaluations. The cousin said the father's car and girl were never there.

Then everything was quiet until 2017 when they thought they had a break in the case with a witness stepping forward. Actually, a cousin of Hart's this witness is outlined in several news articles but I don't want to drop the name. Allegedly they had a reputation of getting into cases before and a not good community reputation. That is 100% hearsay though. This witness said that Ashley and Hart wanted to go to Oregan and even asked them to go with them but they felt uncomfortable and bailed at the last moment. This new witness seemed to launch the police into investigations and there was even a cadaver search but that came up cold.

Lastly, most recently it seems Christopher Hart was cited in the local paper for being arrested again. So, that means he must have been out free for a little bit now. He was arrested for unlawful firearm charges. This was only a few days ago.

Now, this was an outline of events... I am going to add links to articles here but leaving out any that are not allowed. Please, don't take my short write-up as gospel! I'm just compiling info as I found it and thought a quick outline of events could help.

Community Comes Together for Ashley Martinez

Ashley Renee Martinez – The Charley Project

Two cases continue to puzzle authorities

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article679209.html

Project Jason-Voice for the Missing: 8/22/05 “Oh Ashley, Ashley”

Witness saw Ashley Martinez with man prior to disappearance

A new search in a cold case

This post is going to be entirely about Ashley and what she looks like and what she likes based on my previously posted links, links from you guys, and other various missing person sites. I'll add more sources on where I got my information to be the best of my abilities.

Ashley was only 15 years old at the time of her disappearance. 5'3, 110 pounds with blue eyes. Ashley had a very slim build. Her hair color is naturally a sandy blond but she did dye it different shades of blonde. The last time she was seen her hair had been styled straight and the length was upper back. Ashley is Caucasian. The birthday is January 24th, 1989. She does have a scar or scars on her left arm/wrist.

Clothing worn that day was blue jean shorts size 1 or junior 11, black top with red cherries size medium, and white Reebok tennis shoes with red accents shoe size 5. Ashley's tongue, naval, and ears were pierced. and she had a ring with two hearts joined together. (a gift from her mother) A black bikini with red cherries was worn underneath her clothing. Ashley was reported to have a bi-bipolar disorder and is supposed to have left her medications behind. She may have had an inhaler with her for her mild asthma attacks. I did find information that said that she had an emergency type inhaler but had not needed it in a long time. Ashley's family does have dental records and medical x-rays available. Ashley's teeth were normal. Ashley did not wear hats out of personal preference because they messed up her hair.

Ashley's favorite color may have been red and according to her mother, she wanted to be a model. She liked to read and write, phone, and friends. Ashley watched lifetime movies with her mom and liked the Titanic story.

Other important personal preferences include favorite restaurants being: Red Lobster and McDonald's. Favorite foods are Crab meat, vegetables (corn, peas, potatoes), tacos, and pizza. Lastly, favorite junk foods are Doritos with cheese dip, mint chocolate chip ice cream, Reese's peanut butter cups.

I have seen some missing person flyers that suggest that she still might be in the local area while others suggest she has left the area. Ashley has some age progression photos listed in various sites as well I would suggest looking at them and sharing.

ashley.4ourangel.com

http://www.findashleymartinez.com/

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/tag/ashley-martinez/ *this link now has a 404 error

MO - MO - Ashley Martinez, 15, St. Joseph, 6 July 2004

WATCH: Mother offers wisdom for when children go missing

Ashley Martinez, age 15, missing from Missouri : UnresolvedMysteries

Ashley Renee Martinez – The Charley Project Ashley Martinez

Dean Marie Pyle Peters & Cold Cases: Ashley Renee Martinez-Missing 9 Years

3433DFMO - Ashley Renee Martinez

This is a section on the possible main suspect of the case. Please remember... the police may not see him as the main suspect anymore. You guys know the rules... we can't harass and do anything to him. So, stay away. This information is here to help in coming up with theories and ideas so help bring Ashley home.

Christopher Mathias Hart is also known as Chris Hart, Christopher M. Hart, and Raymond Michael Price. Please note that he often spelled his name in different ways and in particular his middle name Mathias is either just M or often misspelled. Date of birth 12/20/1971

Court DOC ONE: with a photo of him at a younger age. This is complied information the link is at the bottom of my post. FL Prison arrest and details; DQ number: Q04346 Hair color: BLONDE OR STRAWBERRY Eye Color: blue Height: 5'08'' Custody: MEDIUM and Release date: 05/10/2000 Stated address upon release 116 WEST ISABELLE ST. JOSEPH, MO 64501 64501 He served a 2 year and 6-month prison sentence for 1998 offenses of Drug/Sale/Manuf/Deliv, resisting officer with violence and:BATT.LEO/FIRFGT/EMS/ETC. All in BAY county. He had detainers from St. Joseph mo of 1999. This court doc is from Florida Department of Corrections 501 S Calhoun St Tallahassee, FL 32399

(Side note: it's hearsay but supposedly he had lived close to the victim at one point in time but there is no way to know if this is true and which address is correct)
If you go to the browns Sherrif website and search his name on the outstanding warrants an active warrant appears for writing a bad check. Looks like this was from 1998 time. This is from Kansas. I'll add a link so you can search below.

I also have a Hart V State document. This court document outlines his priors as well as his currents leading up to Ashley's disappearance and afterward. I'm not entirely sure what I am reading here so maybe someone a little smarter can pick out the information that might be relevant to us. FindLaw's Missouri Court of Appeals case and opinions. Looks like maybe he attacked a professional and he took a plea deal for a long term drug rehab program.

Hart is also on the offender list. I will leave a link so that you can search for yourself. It also has a photo of him aged. MODOC Offender Search It lists his hair as brown now as it has darkened up. It has his active offense as AMPER WITH MOTOR VEH-1ST DEG. With a prior offense of failing to appear and Assult 2nd degree.

I found a news article that might explain in detail the vehicle tampering. http://www.moundcitynews.com/sites/default/files/9 September 24, 2015.pdf If you note it seems he had an accomplice there.

Important note: it's alleged as he is a sexual predatory but he is not in the sex offender list.

Most recent update on this man that he was arrested for unlawful discharge of firearms again in St. Joseph Mo. Meaning... he's been out free! Not now of course and you can search him up here. Inmate Search I suggest just searching by the last name Hart. This is now the most up to date photo we have of him and you can see he has aged a lot. Offense date was 6/29/2020 9:50 PM There was a brief mention of his arrest in the local paper but I can't find that link now.

I could still use help smoothing out the timeline of events leading up to and after his arrest in WA. It could help because knowing his whereabouts would give us routes to search along for Ashley.

Some of his known locations:
Several addresses in St. Joseph mo and activities in the surrounding cities.
Florida
Olympia WA
Kansas

Court DOC ONE:

CHRISTOPHER M HART Inmate Q04346: Florida Prisoner

Active warrent:

Outstanding Warrants | Brown County Sheriff's Office

Hart V. State

FindLaw's Missouri Court of Appeals case and opinions.

Notes and thoughtful Questions Section.

What happened to the unique car? It is rumored to have been registered in Christopher Hart's father's name. It has been missing since the day Ashley went missing. Gray 1995 Pontiac Bonneville , Missouri 377MPY License plate is 377MPY and VIN is 1G2HX52K2S4292423 It's a 95 pontiac bonneville from mo and grey.

What evidence for a connection to Hart does Ashley have? What type of connection is it? Drug dealer, lover, both? There are people that said they were together but are there any paper trails? Phone calls, notes, photos?

Where did Ashley get the heart ring that she was wearing when she went missing? Why does she have it? This question is answered. It was a ring given to her by her mother. I discovered this when looking at older missing person pages for her.

What sort of mental health diagnosis did Christopher Hart have? Was there evidence of it before? Would it have an impact on the missing and how?

Where did Ashley use to live in relation to Hart? It's rumored he lived close to her.

What type of drugs did Hart allegedly sell? Where did he get them? Idea because maybe he had debts to pay or it could be a line of people we could follow that might what happened to Ashley.

Where are the biggest trafficking lines for humans in Missouri, Washington, Kansas, Florida and California, and maybe along the way?

Did anyone see or have evidence of them traveling to Washington or California?

Did Hart have a history of having young lovers or interests in that area? This is significant because he might have a history with other girls and they might be able to provide insight.

Did people have to sign in to the pool that day and does the pool still have records?

Local rumor on the whereabouts of the car is that it could be in the Missouri River. There is a boat ramp access that isn't far from Krug park. However, it's very public and seeable.

It seems the family is important to Hart so maybe someone in his family tree could help with a clue or case. Perhaps offering a substantial award to any family that might know something could help.

Were CH's parents interviewed by LE, and did they fully cooperate? What did he have to say to them about what happened to that car, among other things, I wonder.

Is there anything of note mentioned in this article? It is unavailable for me due to location.
I haven't followed this case but it appears to me by a very brief review of the thread that the article contains new information. However, it is paywalled which is why I only posted the link.

To comply with WS TOS, here is the allowed preview of the article:

Ashley Martinez disappeared some 17 years ago, but a previously private affidavit could point away from a man a witness said was seen with the girl around the time she went missing.

Christopher Hart was previously identified by the Martinez family as the man they were told last was seen with the then 15-year-old. However, an affidavit provided by the Hart family to News-Press NOW this week says another witness saw Martinez with a different man some months after she went missing.

Last updated March 20, 2021; details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Ashley was last seen at 12:00 p.m. on July 6, 2004, when she was dropped off at the Krug Pool in the vicinity of St. Joseph Avenue and Krug Park in St. Joseph, Missouri with her younger brother. When her mother came to get them later, only the brother was waiting; Ashley had disappeared.

Subsequent investigation showed that Ashley had planned to run away to California with Christopher Matthias Hart, a 32-year-old man living close to her home. He was on parole for second-degree assault and has also been convicted of drug possession, unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest. He and Ashley were reportedly going to go to California, or possibly Oregon. Julie Wahlgren, a member of Hart's family, said she saw Ashley and Hart together at his house a few days after Ashley's disappearance. Wahlgren stated Ashley and Hart were planning to go to Oregon and Wahlgren was going to go with them, but decided not to, and Hart and Ashley left alone.

Eleven days after Ashley's disappearance, Hart was arrested in Olympia, Washington for purse-snatching. He gave the Washington officials a false name and as a result they did not know he was wanted in Missouri, so he was released. On September 7, two months after Ashley's disappearance, Hart was arrested again after Washington police discovered his true identity and the charges against him in Missouri. He had been staying with a cousin in the Olympia area.

Washington investigators found no sign of Ashley, or the stolen gray 1995 Pontiac Bonneville with Missouri license plates numbered 377MPY, which she and Hart had allegedly been traveling in. Hart's cousin said he had not seen Ashley or ever heard Hart mention her.

Hart has refused to divulge any information whatsoever on Ashley's whereabouts. He began acting bizarrely while in jail and was sent to the state mental hospital for a psychiatric evaluation. A photo of him is posted with this case summary. He was eventually released from prison on probation in 2015, but violated his probation and was re-arrested a month later and sent back to prison. In 2019, he was released again. He is currently in jail awaiting trial on charges of domestic violence and unlawful use of a weapon. He has never been charged in Ashley's case.

A female witness reported having seen Ashley on the northeast corner of Frederick Street and Leonard Road in St. Joseph in September 2004, three months after her disappearance. The witness was the vice principal at Ashley's school and knew her well, and said she recognized the jeans and t-shirt Ashley was wearing as ones she had previously worn to school. She said Ashley was accompanied by a tall African-American man and that she and Ashley waved at each other when she saw her. Later that same day, the witness saw Ashley and the unidentified man again, walking down Frederick Street across the highway bridge. This sighting has not been verified.

Ashley may still be in the local area or she may be in the Kansas City, Missouri area. There is no evidence that she ever arrived in Washington. When she disappeared, she left behind all her personal belongings, including her medication and her three cats.

Ashley ran away from home once before, in 2001, but she did not leave the state and was only gone for about a day before returning home voluntarily. She was an eighth-grader at Robidoux Middle School at the time of her disappearance. Ashley's case remains unsolved and is still classified as a runaway.

Wow, that's a twist in the case! I hope it's enough to get things moving for her case again.

Paraphrasing the article says say it's unclear if the police knew about this affidavit and they have not been able to be reached about the new press article to find out.

Also, I think it's OK that I post the affidavit link as it is from that publication in that article.

*Still trying to get ahold of learning all WS rules

READ: Full affidavit of Denise Campbell

Last edited:
Guys!!!! I just thought of something. I've been mulling the new information over. The affidavit witness signed the document in '09. FOUR years after the alleged sighting. They said they called either the police or the juvenile office to report it but the police have not confirmed or denied this. In the document, they cite that Ashley was wearing jeans and a t-shirt The witness said they had many "dealings" with Ashley in the document.

and according to Hart's mother who had a conversation with the witness and write about this attached to the affidavit document the witness said Ashley was wearing clothes she had seen her in before at school.

I'm kinda curious to see if other people are thinking like I am here but... we know what Ashley was wearing the day she disappeared and we also know she didn't go home ever again. She was wearing blue jeans SHORTS and a bikini and a black top.

She was only 15 and known to need medication. Is it just me or should she be classified as Endangered Missing rather than Runaway? I doubt she wanted to be away from her family permanently. She wouldn't have been in a rational state of mind if going through untreated bipolar disorder.

I hope she's safe out there and will finally contact her family, but in my opinion, she hasn't gone willingly missing for all this time. I really hope her family will get answers.

Are you saying you're skeptical about the alleged sighting or?
I think I am skeptical, as much I want some new information to help the case forward... after reading through the document I get the feeling this witness is emotionally invested negatively at Ashley. Some of the wording and the way they react to meeting Hart's mother makes me think this. The clothing statement as well.

I do think Ashley is classified as an endangered runaway now. I'm so mad about this one because I feel like people (in the area) are brushing off her case because the girl isn't matching up to their moral perceptions. I don't think Ashley is willingly missing at all.

I just found this article

Person of interest in Martinez case denies involvement

and I think it's ok to paraphrase the article? So, here it goes; the victim's mother had not heard of the affidavit until the news publications. The St. Joseph PD however made a statement saying that Hart is still a POI in the case. They also confirm they had not seen that affidavit before but had spoken with Campbell previously. Hart agrees to an interview for the first time but says he didn't do it and now he's writing a book. The victim's family has a PI involved in the case.

Disappearance of Missouri teen still a mystery nearly two decades after she went missing from public pool in July 2004

“It’s been a long 17 years,” Tammy said. “Sometimes I wonder what she’d be like today. But sometimes I don’t want to. I just think of her as my bubbly, happy 15-year-old daughter.”
https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/ne...ssouri-teen-went-missing-public-pool-n1273095

Sergeant Strong told Dateline authorities have followed up with all recent tips in the case and used Ashley’s DNA to compare with unidentified bodies found in the area, but nothing has led to Ashley’s whereabouts.

“We’ve been actively investigating this case for years – haven’t stopped,” Sgt. Strong told Dateline. “We’ve hit a lot of dead ends but that doesn’t mean were’ going to give up.”

Sergeant Strong added that authorities have recently received new information they hope will lead to some answers.

In early 2021, according to News-Press Now, Denise Campbell, a former school administrator at Robidoux Middle School, wrote in a sworn document that she saw the teenager with a man other than Hart in the fall of 2004.

The affidavit’s authenticity was verified by News-Press Now, who reported that it was notarized by a notary public and signed by a witness whose name, however, is illegible.

St. Joseph mother asks for closure on 17th anniversary of daughter's disappearance

“I never dreamed that I'd be standing here 17 years later regarding this situation,” said Tammy Mack, mother of missing St. Joseph teenager Ashely Martinez.

Martinez' little brother told his mom he saw his sister climb into the truck of an older man in the Krug Pool parking lot. That was the last time the 15-year-old was ever seen again.

Nearly two decades later, Mack revisited the pool to relive that seemingly normal summer day.

“It’s been 17 years of a nightmare,” said Mack, “People lose things that you might get over, but your child? That’s something you’ll never get over. Never.”

Martinez would be 32 this year.

Mack said her daughter's disappearance has been beyond difficult for her family as there have been no breaks in the case. Martinez' family continues to search for closure, hoping to find any answer as to where she went.

“I pray to God that you’re alive. We think about you everyday and it’ll never go away. It won’t,” said Mack.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back