MO MO - Bianca Piper, 13, Foley, 10 March 2005

Law & Order: Mother of missing girl is charged with assault

06/28/2005

ST. LOUIS
Mother of missing girl is charged with assault

The mother of a missing Lincoln County girl has been charged with domestic assault after police say she hit another daughter in the head with a curling iron and threatened to tie her up and lock her in a bedroom. The rest of the story can be found here:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...D436D073C5778C8C8625702F0012EDBE?OpenDocument

I find this very disturbing. I don't think it bodes well for poor Bianca. :(

You have got to be kidding me. This lady seems to be a piece of work here. She talks about her Daughter having problems with her temper and the likes but then pulls this kid of crap. LE needs to really focus on this lady. As a matter of fact let me get into a locked room with her for about an hour with no LE watching and we can find out what really happened. Poor sweet girl.

The article surely doesn't reflect well on Bianca's mom. LE has been to the home for domestic dispute with boyfriend and now assault on Bianca's sister. It definitely makes me wonder if she lost her temper with Bianca, rather than Bianca losing her temper the evening she disappeared as has been reported.

It certainly does make you wonder about her story.:waitasec:

Jenn said:
Maybe this will work. This story has haunted me for awhile. I wonder if they are going to consider her a suspect.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/D436D073C5778C8C8625702F0012EDBE?OpenDocument

I had actually never heard of Bianca until this post. I quoted part of an article I read about her on a search I did.

"Thirteen-year-old Bianca Piper loved the outdoors and was a student at Winfield Middle School in Foley, Missouri. She and her mother, Shannon Tanner, had just moved into the area in October of 2004. Because of a mental handicap, Bianca possessed the mentality of a six-year-old and suffered periodic bouts of anxiety and anger. Whenever these bouts occurred, her mother would follow a counselor's advice and drive Bianca a mile from their home and drop her off for a walk back. This action was a prescribed part of a self-control treatment program to help the young girl walk off her anger."

First of all, what kind a counselor in their right mind would instruct a parent to drop off a mentally challenged child ONE MILE from their home and make her walk back home? WTF is that all about? Did they ever confirm this with the so-called counselor? This article went on to describe that this mother dropped her off a mile or so down the road, in the dark, and left her with a flashlight. I just can't believe this article. I just can't believe it. I'll post the entire link below:

http://search.hp.netscape.com/hp/bo...ibrary.com/missing_children/bianca_piper.html

First time to post-
I feel so bad for Bianca. If she is still alive, I think she would have been found by now. Seems like mom took care of her- and would have taken care of the older girl except for LE. JMHO

The fact that she reached around LE to get ahold of glass and had to be subdued via a taser speak volumes. I believe the child involved in this incident may well have met with foul play had LE not arrived. I think poor Bianca's fate is explained through this behavior.

kk's mom said:
I had actually never heard of Bianca until this post. I quoted part of an article I read about her on a search I did.

"Thirteen-year-old Bianca Piper loved the outdoors and was a student at Winfield Middle School in Foley, Missouri. She and her mother, Shannon Tanner, had just moved into the area in October of 2004. Because of a mental handicap, Bianca possessed the mentality of a six-year-old and suffered periodic bouts of anxiety and anger. Whenever these bouts occurred, her mother would follow a counselor's advice and drive Bianca a mile from their home and drop her off for a walk back. This action was a prescribed part of a self-control treatment program to help the young girl walk off her anger."

First of all, what kind a counselor in their right mind would instruct a parent to drop off a mentally challenged child ONE MILE from their home and make her walk back home? WTF is that all about? Did they ever confirm this with the so-called counselor? This article went on to describe that this mother dropped her off a mile or so down the road, in the dark, and left her with a flashlight. I just can't believe this article. I just can't believe it. I'll post the entire link below:

http://search.hp.netscape.com/hp/boomframe.jsp?query=bianca+piper&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D765ecbbc9ef406ad%26clickedItemRank%3D1%26userQuery%3Dbianca%2Bpiper%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.crimelibrary.com%252Fmissing_children%252Fbianca_piper.html%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DHPSidebar%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crimelibrary.com%2Fmissing_children%2Fbianca_piper.html
Very good points. I have the same concerns. It just doesn't seem right. There has not been very much media coverage on this case as far as the investigation is concerned so I am not sure if they have followed up with the counselor. I can only pray the LE is doing there job on this one. It is such a sad case. IMO the mom should be charged with child endangerment if nothing else.

Shadow205 said:
Jenn, I havn't followed this case real close. Did the Mom take a polygraph?
I am not sure Shadow. I haven't read that she has but I will pull up some older articles to check.

I KNOW this doesnt look good but I think we should hold judgement until more facts are known. I too have a hard time beliving that she dropped Bianca off on a dark road- but some people are incredibly irresponsible- but it doesnt make the murderers.

I'm saying this because I am one of the people who jumped to conclusions about the Riley Fox case, and look where that ended up.............

I'm not saying shes innocent, just that we don't know. I hope they find Bianca safe and well................and until we know for sure otherwise, we should all be hoping for that.

Nothing new recently? That wasn't a good idea to leave her daughter on the side of the road...if that is what happened.

I wasn't there so I have no idea what went on between mother and daughter that day in the home. The mother's anxiety level is probably sky high with a daughter missing. Kids can push a parent to the point of wanting to hit them with something. The mom may have just tapped the daughter with the curling iron and the daughter has made the story worse than it was...we don't know.

There have been times when I could have knocked my 16 yr old grandaughter right through a wall...I wanted to after some of the things that came out of her mouth..but I didn't. I can understand how easy it would be to cross that line though. These kids go right for the jugler at times. By the time the cops got to the mother's house she may have been totally out of control. I think we need to cut her some slack. I know I would be on the edge of a breakdown if I had a daughter that is missing.

RockyMountains said:
You have got to be kidding me. This lady seems to be a piece of work here. She talks about her Daughter having problems with her temper and the likes but then pulls this kid of crap. LE needs to really focus on this lady. As a matter of fact let me get into a locked room with her for about an hour with no LE watching and we can find out what really happened. Poor sweet girl.
I have had a struggling feeling that the mom dropped this kid off the way she said she did. if she has it in her to hit the other kid with an object, I just wonder if she did the same to the one that is missing? except with something like a rolling pin or something else? if she did kill her daughter accidently or on purpose, wonder how she would have been able to move the body? didn't the kid way like 180 or so pounds? that would be hard for me to move, and almost very difficult for her mom to do. wonder if the moms boyfriend may have helped? I know I am casting judgement, but to me, I just can't imagine a mother doing her daughter the way she said she did. that is very reckless to say the least, and now the daughter is missing, she should be charged for placing a child in harms way or something along those lines, child endangerment? the area that she went missing in is somewhat remote and off of the main hwy from what I understand.

This has been so long. Is there any news at all that anyone has heard?

Mother of missing girl clings to fading hope

09/12/2005
By Susan Weich
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

FOLEY -- Six months after 13-year-old Bianca Piper disappeared without a trace near her home in Lincoln County, her mother knows hope is fading that Bianca will be found alive.

"I'm torn between wanting and not wanting to know," said her mother, Shannon Tanner. "I'd almost rather think she's out there somewhere and not know where she's at than know something terrible has happened."

Bianca has been missing since Tanner dropped the girl off about a mile from their home in Foley on a cold night in March. Tanner thought that walking back to their residence would give Bianca a chance to calm down after an argument.

The girl suffers from bipolar and attention deficit hyperactivity disorders and uses several medications to help control her mood swings and aggressive tendencies. Tanner said that a mental health therapist had recommended the walks but that Tanner had used the idea only once before - the night before Bianca disappeared.

Tanner said that on the first night, Bianca had met her with a packed bag when her mother got home from work and said she wanted to go to the hospital because she could feel herself losing control. Bianca had been hospitalized previously when doctors needed to adjust her medication, Tanner said.

She encouraged Bianca to try taking a walk instead.

"She came back, was happy, felt better and did her chores," Tanner said. "We had a great evening together, and she didn't mention going to the hospital anymore."

So when Tanner got home the night of March 10 and Bianca did not want to wash dishes, Tanner drove the girl down their gravel road and dropped her off with a flashlight just past a bridge that spans a creek.

247 exhausted leads

Bianca never returned, and police have exhausted 247 leads trying to find her. Authorities have not been able to confirm even one legitimate sighting of Bianca. The lack of evidence points to foul play, police say.

Tanner has been criticized for leaving her daughter to walk home alone, and some postings on Internet message boards have even speculated that she was involved in her daughter's disappearance. Police have questioned Tanner as well as her live-in boyfriend, Jim Felt, and consider neither of them suspects.

Tanner said that had not stopped the suspicions or cruel comments. Recently, a new co-worker who did not know who she was, but learned where she lived, asked how close her home was to where Bianca went missing. When she told him she lived right there, he said he thought Bianca's mother had killed her.

"I said, 'Really? What makes you say that?'" Tanner said. "And he said, 'Because she didn't cry enough in the first few days of the interviews.' I told him that I was Bianca's mother and that I did not hurt my daughter."

In the ensuing months, Tanner has used whatever means she had available to her to cope with her daughter's disappearance.

Initially, she had the support of legions of volunteers and emergency personnel who searched more than 270 square miles - nearly half of Lincoln County - for Bianca.

The Shawn Hornbeck Foundation lent a hand as did Rachelfind and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which offered a consultant to aid the team of Lincoln County sheriff's detectives investigating the case.

National exposure

The TV shows "America's Most Wanted" and "Without A Trace" featured Bianca's case, and her image was sent out on thousands of postcards and fliers that reached as far as Maryland.

Tanner gave the search a personal touch when she strung a set of lights designed by Bianca's idol, Hilary Duff, in the front room window to guide Bianca home.

Tanner's mother, Carol Young, blanketed homeless shelters with e-mails about Bianca.

The women sought the counsel of psychics, who in one case told Tanner that Bianca had been picked up in a van by a sex offender and in another told Young that Bianca was not alive.

But six months later, the only new lead is an unidentified corpse found recently on Kaskaskia Island in Illinois. A forensics expert will compare Bianca's dental records with the remains, those of a female between the ages of 13 and 20, police said.

Undaunted, Tanner recently worked with police to make an updated flier about Bianca and used money raised mostly from family members to post a $10,000 reward. The money is in addition to a $5,000 reward offered by a private foundation.

Tanner also has planned a vigil from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday near their home on McIntosh Hill Road where Bianca was last seen. Tanner has had special T-shirts made up with Bianca's image. She spearheaded an effort to start a Web site, www.findbianca.org where people can post leads about Bianca.

Tanner says that Bianca is always on her mind.

"Some days, I cry all the way to work," she said. "And there have been a couple of days where I haven't even been able to work."

She worries that some personal difficulties she has had since Bianca disappeared might stop people from caring about her daughter.

In May, Tanner filed for a restraining order against Felt but dropped it after the two reconciled.

Two months later, Tanner was charged with assaulting her 18-year-old daughter, who also suffers from a bipolar disorder in addition to schizophrenia.

Her daughter had stopped taking her medication, and Tanner said that when police arrived, she was trying to keep the girl from hurting herself. The Division of Family Services removed Tanner's third daughter, 15, from their home afterward, and she is living with Young now.

Police say they believe the incidents are unrelated to Bianca's disappearance, but Tanner is concerned about what others might think.

"I don't want people to stop caring because they think the family is messed up or that I might have something to do with it," she said. "There's a little girl missing, and we need to find her."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...2D?OpenDocument

Six Months Later, Hope Fading In Search For Bianca Piper
created: 9/13/2005 9:55:01 AM
updated: 9/13/2005 10:06:00 AM

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FOLEY, Mo. (AP) -- Shannon Tanner is torn between wanting to know, and not wanting to know, whether her daughter is still alive.

It has been six months since Bianca Piper, 13, disappeared in March after Tanner dropped the girl off about a mile from their Lincoln County home, thinking the walk would give Bianca time to calm down after an argument.

Bianca suffers from bipolar and attention deficit hyperactivity disorders and uses several medications to help control her mood swings and aggressive tendencies. A mental health therapist had recommended the walks.

In the half-year since Bianca's disappearance, police have exhausted 247 leads. Authorities have not confirmed even one legitimate sighting, and say the lack of evidence points to foul play.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
[/font]

Click link for picture.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=84647

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member