MO - Corbin Wiederholt, 9 mos, fatally shot by 5yo brother, Elmo, 19 Jan 2015

"Boys will be boys", said the grandfather.

Well, alrighty then!

I find the suggestion that the gun was locked in the cupboard and the five year old got himself a screw-driver or 'found a key' to break in and get the gun pretty incredible to be honest.

It would be nice if adults actually took responsibility for their mistakes now and then.

Daily Mail:

'I'm sorry, Mom. I shot Corbin': Mother recalls the moment her five-year-old son told her he had shot dead his baby brother with a revolver

Nine-month-old Corbin Wiederholt was shot in the head while in his playpen at his grandfather William Porter's home

Brother was holding a loaded .22 caliber revolver when it fired, a gun the boy's mother, Alexis, had no idea was even in the home

Emergency responders were called to the home in Elmo byAlexis

The baby was taken to hospital but died from his injuries in what police are calling a tragic accident

Alexis has revealed that after the incident, her five-year-old son said to her; 'I'm sorry, Mom. I shot Corbin.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...agnum-revolver-family-home.html#ixzz3PP7peQAF

Dear Websleuths Members,

I am literally begging you DO NOT turn this thread into an argument about gun control.

If that happens my head will explode.

Stay on topic. If someone brings up even a hint about the for or against argument of guns at the very least you will receive a long time out or outright ban for life.

Tricia

I don't think this has anything to do with gun control.
This has to do with common sense. :twocents:

My Dad always had guns in the house and I never saw them.
He moves them to his office when my children are staying there.
On my way down each Saturday I ensure my Dad has moved the guns.
Even though, my kids don't go upstairs which is where he keeps them.
It's simply out of an abundance of caution.

I especially feel badly for the mother in this case who had no idea the gun was there.
If I didn't know Dad had guns, I wouldn't know to ask him to move them.

And I'm sorry but Dad?? Telling a 5 year old boy to stay out of your room?
That is like dangling a chocolate cake in front of him and telling him not to eat it.
He is FIVE. You put a lock on the door and keep things away from him.
He is not old enough to be told to stay out of a room and reliably be trusted to do so. :twocents:

Porter told NBC News that he had the pistol for security and target practice and kept it in a locked case in his bedroom with other guns he uses for sport.

"I set it up behind the long arms. It's always been there. I've never moved it," he said.

What? He uses the pistol for target practice but it's always been behind the long guns and he never moved it out of the cupboard? :waitasec:

Did someone tell the mother it was a paintball gun?

I don't think this has anything to do with gun control.
This has to do with common sense. :twocents:

My Dad always had guns in the house and I never saw them.
He moves them to his office when my children are staying there.
On my way down each Saturday I ensure my Dad has moved the guns.
Even though, my kids don't go upstairs which is where he keeps them.
It's simply out of an abundance of caution.

I especially feel badly for the mother in this case who had no idea the gun was there.
If I didn't know Dad had guns, I wouldn't know to ask him to move them.

And I'm sorry but Dad?? Telling a 5 year old boy to stay out of your room?
That is like dangling a chocolate cake in front of him and telling him not to eat it.
He is FIVE. You put a lock on the door and keep things away from him.
He is not old enough to be told to stay out of a room and reliably be trusted to do so. :twocents:

Respectfully BBM.

As she grieves for her baby and worries about the future of her eldest son, whose name is being withheld by NBC News, Wiederholt said her loss should be a warning to others to protect children from firearms.

She said she had no idea that her father, William Porter, kept a loaded pistol in the Elmo home she and the children were visiting.

(snip)

"When I was growing up we always had guns in the house," she said. "We grew up on a farm and we hunted all the time.

"That's why I can't believe that the man who taught me gun safety — you keep guns unloaded and keep the safety on and keep them locked up — had a gun in the house with my children there."

http://askingsaveskids.org/

What? He uses the pistol for target practice but it's always been behind the long guns and he never moved it out of the cupboard? :waitasec:

Did someone tell the mother it was a paintball gun?

The mother, Alexis Widerholt, was in the kitchen when she heard a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot, according to White. She went into the living room where she found three of her four children — including the 5-year-old boy. Another child was playing with a paintball gun.

Her fourth child, the nine-month-old boy, was inside the master bedroom.

White happened to be near the phone when Widerholt made a frantic call to police just before 9 a.m., pleading for help for her baby, who she thought at the time had been shot in the side of his head with a paintball gun, he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...in-his-crib-by-5-year-old-brother-police-say/

Well, the story of what actually happened certainly did change from the initial news reports. It would be difficult to find fault with the mother if she didn't know loaded guns were in the same room where she'd put her baby down to sleep. The first article I linked in the opening post quoted a neighbor as saying that the mom and four boys lived at the house, so I wonder if the visit was an extended stay or temporary separation from dad, perhaps. The Fox 4 article stated:
A next door neighbor and friend of the family, Kathy Armentrout, said the woman was home alone with her four boys at the time of the shooting.

“They’re a very good family and this was a tragedy. It’s a sad deal. I just hope everybody prays for them,” she said.

Armentrout says the four little boys, who are brothers, live in the house, including the baby who was killed. She grabbed the three children who she says are ages five, three and one-and-a-half and brought them to her house.
bbm

It would be difficult to find fault with the mother
if she didn't know loaded guns were in the same room where she'd put her baby down to sleep.... a neighbor as saying that the mom and four boys lived at the house, so I wonder if the visit was an extended stay or temporary separation from dad, perhaps...
bbm sbm

From daisy7's post:
"When I was growing up we always had guns in the house," she said. "We grew up on a farm and we hunted all the time.
"That's why I can't believe that the man who taught me gun safety — you keep guns unloaded and keep the safety on and keep them locked up — had a gun in the house with my children there."
http://askingsaveskids.org/http://askingsaveskids.org/" bbm

Yes, were mom & kids living there or visiting. Either way, can't mother ask g'father/homeowner about guns, storage etc.?
If she grew up w safe gun usage & handling, seems like she'd know preschoolers & guns don't mix, and
w/ask about gun-storage, perhaps check it herself.

OTOH, if they were visitors, seems like gun-safety-practitioner- g'father w/h/stored & locked guns away before visit and
would not have relied on telling preschoolers (if he did) to keep out bedroom (where guns were unsecured).

Personal responsibility? How can parent assure kids' safety in home w unlocked guns, if any child is out of sight?

A parent w four children aged 5 and under is undoubtedly swamped.
RIP, little baby and healing thoughts for family and friends. I just cannot imagine being in their shoes.

bbm sbm

From daisy7's post:
http://askingsaveskids.org/http://askingsaveskids.org/" bbm

Yes, were mom & kids living there or visiting. Either way, can't mother ask g'father/homeowner about guns, storage etc.?
If she grew up w safe gun usage & handling, seems like she'd know preschoolers & guns don't mix, and
w/ask about gun-storage, perhaps check it herself.

OTOH, if they were visitors, seems like gun-safety-practitioner- g'father w/h/stored & locked guns away before visit and
would not have relied on telling preschoolers (if he did) to keep out bedroom (where guns were unsecured).

Personal responsibility? How can parent assure kids' safety in home w unlocked guns, if any child is out of sight?

A parent w four children aged 5 and under is undoubtedly swamped.
RIP, little baby and healing thoughts for family and friends. I just cannot imagine being in their shoes.
Besides the gun safety issues, what stood out to me is that when she grew up there was always a gun in the house, but she didn't know her Dad had one in the house??

My father in law had a gun in his house for years , we found out after he passed away . It was kept in the attic . I guess my mil knew , maybe . She never mentioned it to us . I don't feel comfortable around guns , I wish they told us . I like to know what's around my children .

Besides the gun safety issues, what stood out to me is that when she grew up there was always a gun in the house, but she didn't know her Dad had one in the house??

That does stand out, imo. Huge piece of this story is still missing. What also isn't clear is how the 5-year-old got the gun out of the gun safe. The mother said another young child was playing with a paintball gun. That isn't a toy for a small child, either.

JMO

I guess she might have meant she didn't know that there was a loaded gun that was accessible to children?

I wonder if the mother knew that the kids weren't supposed to go into the bedroom and why.

Yesterday, a 2yo fatally shot himself with his father's gun. http://tbo.com/news/crime/deputies-child-shoots-self-in-east-lake-20150121/?page=1

:(

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

The incident happened at about 5 p.m. after the child’s father put the boy in his vehicle, where he had placed a .380 caliber handgun in the glove box, said Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri. The father, Kevin Ahles, then became distracted and the boy reached for the gun and shot himself in the chest, Gualtieri said.

Investigators interviewed numerous people at the scene and confirmed that the boy was alone in the vehicle at the time of the shooting, Gualtieri said.

Another easily preventable tragedy. Do not leave toddlers alone in places with unsecured handguns.

RIP Kaleb Ahles.

24ED5D1B00000578-2921086-image-a-54_1421896956040.jpg

Tragedy occurred in Eastlake about 5pm Wednesday
Family were in the process of moving out of their home

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-glove-box-car-playing-it.html#ixzz3PYeOOxvE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I will stay away from the topic of guns. I just feel for the little boy who has to live with this for the rest of his life. It will most likely haunt him. :tears:

From MyBelle's post:
"....Huge piece of this story is still missing. What also isn't clear is how the 5-year-old got the gun out of the gun safe...." bbm

From http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investig...killed-n289541
"...Porter told NBC News that he had the pistol for security and target practice and
kept it in a locked case in his bedroom with other guns he uses for sport.
"I set it up behind the long arms. It's always been there. I've never moved it," he said.
It's unclear how the child got into the case, but Porter said it could be opened with a screwdriver or even a random key...."

Gun safe? Locked case? But 5 y/o can open w screwdriver or random key?
I guess g'father defines gun safe differently from some of the rest of us.
Sad, sad, sad,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1
Back