MO - Megan Reppond, 14, shot to death at Neosho slumber party, 27 Dec 2010

Different time, for sure, but I grew up in a household where my grandfather was a hunter and also very conscious about protecting his family from intruders. He kept a loaded pistol and a hunting knife under his side of the mattress. We children knew about it, but would never have even thought of touching anything like that.

As I said, different times we live in now, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the homeowners - I hardly think they intended to be the reason for this girl's death. Imagine the guilt. But stupid is stupid. And leaving a gun lying anywhere loaded in a houseful of kids is madness. When you own a gun you are taking on a huge responsibility.

I say this because I lost a classmate in elementary school. He got access to his father's gun (not secured, laying in a drawer) and he and some friends decided to play russian roulette. Bad decision, there were two bullets left in the gun. This family was never the same. This happened within blocks of my own home. I have never forgotten what that mother looked like when I would see her around the neighborhood. A ghost, that is what she resembled. A ghost just floating through the days.

IT upsets me when I hear stories like this. I am a big propponent for the right to bear arms and own a handgun. But when people don't take that priviledge and responsibility seriously it galls me.

Different time, for sure, but I grew up in a household where my grandfather was a hunter and also very conscious about protecting his family from intruders. He kept a loaded pistol and a hunting knife under his side of the mattress. We children knew about it, but would never have even thought of touching anything like that.

As I said, different times we live in now, I guess.

Yep. We always had a loaded 22 rifle by the back door - my best friend's dad was a sheriff's deputy and he had loaded guns in his house - in the living room! We knew better, we were taught, we shot guns and we knew it was no joke, plus a belt to your backside was a good measure to insure you at least thought long and hard about your decisions to go against what you were told.

This 14 year old is hurting terribly as is the guy who left the gun out as is everyone else involved. That man has a right to have a gun in his home. I really feel for him. It was an accident. Teenager or not - that young girl is very below average on the common sense scale. Maybe she's dumb as a box of rocks and maybe she just had a moment of bad judgment that will haunt her forever - but it was an accident. There were no bad intentions by anyone. It's just sad. Everyone's reaction is that there must be a finger to point somewhere, blame, blame, blame. I know it's coming to a law suit. I feel sorry for all involved.

I had the exact opposite reaction to the headline. Seriously, the gun didn't hop up and kill the girl. The gun is just a tool unless someone picks it up and pulls the trigger.

I mean, who does THAT?

A child (14 is still a kid in my book) who doesn't know any better. She's probably heard the words "never point a gun...", but if she has no experience with firearms, the words may not have meant much to her.

You know, I'm 56 and haven't touched a gun since I was, coincidentally, 14. I'm not sure *I* should be trusted with a loaded weapon, not because I don't remember the rules I was taught long ago, but because I'm not in the habit of practicing gun safety. I think it would be very easy to point a gun carelessly, accidentally jiggle a trigger, etc.

Which is why loaded guns shouldn't be where minors (or I) can get to them.

angelmom, I DO feel bad for everyone involved here, certainly including the gun owner. I'm sure he feels terrible. But he is the adult involved and has the greatest responsibility, in my book.

Yep. We always had a loaded 22 rifle by the back door - my best friend's dad was a sheriff's deputy and he had loaded guns in his house - in the living room! We knew better, we were taught, we shot guns and we knew it was no joke, plus a belt to your backside was a good measure to insure you at least thought long and hard about your decisions to go against what you were told.

This 14 year old is hurting terribly as is the guy who left the gun out as is everyone else involved. That man has a right to have a gun in his home. I really feel for him. It was an accident. Teenager or not - that young girl is very below average on the common sense scale. Maybe she's dumb as a box of rocks and maybe she just had a moment of bad judgment that will haunt her forever - but it was an accident. There were no bad intentions by anyone. It's just sad. Everyone's reaction is that there must be a finger to point somewhere, blame, blame, blame. I know it's coming to a law suit. I feel sorry for all involved.

I'm sure we've both read the same second amendment, ziggy, but I do not agree it guarantees the right of adults to provide loaded firearms (intentionally or accidentally, as in this case) to unsupervised minors.

Sorry, disagree with some of you. My seven year old has been told since she was two - guns kill people, if you pull the trigger EVER you are doing so with the intention of killing, not hurting someone or an animal. Followed by the next breath - you assume EVERY gun is loaded and will discharge when you pick it up - what did I just say about pulling the trigger? It is done so to kill.....

14 year olds know better -

The 14 year old contributed in her negligence to the death of her friend regardless of who left the gun where. She was not in her own home, handling someone else's property and trust me Nova, you dont just accidently jiggle a trigger. I took teen zig to the shooting range a couple of years ago when he was 14 and it scared the crap out of him - he thought it would be cool after paintball and airsoft guns. She was a contributory party...and old enough to know better as well as Mr. gun owner.

It's like off setting penalties.

I'm just gonna jump in here really quick.

I won't point the finger of blame at anyone, but just making a request. Any parents out there who might be reading this, even if you don't believe in guns, don't have guns, whatever:

Tell your kids that guns are for killing! Nothing else. Just killing. They are not for threatening, scaring, making a point, or especially not for joking around with.

Every gun you come across should be assumed to be both real, and loaded. Don't even touch a gun unless you want to kill something or someone.

Have this conversation on a regular basis, not just once.

BTW- I am not anti-gun. I own guns, and my daughter has been shooting since she was 14 yo.

ty tuff, had that talk last evening after reading and posting on this tragic case. Discussed with 10 year old and 6 year old that if you ever see a gun at someones home or out somewhere, do not touch it and immediately go tell an adult. I explained what happened at this slumber party and that anytime you see a gun your response should never be "I should pick that up" Guns are very dangerous tools and never should be touched by children.

My kids are learning gun safety even though I do not any longer have any actual firearms in my home. We do own a beebee gun that is kept, yep, locked in the safe. The kids get to shoot it every now and then with dad assisting and supervising. We figure it is a good way for them to learn gun safety and responsibility.

ty tuff, had that talk last evening after reading and posting on this tragic case. Discussed with 10 year old and 6 year old that if you ever see a gun at someones home or out somewhere, do not touch it and immediately go tell an adult. I explained what happened at this slumber party and that anytime you see a gun your response should never be "I should pick that up" Guns are very dangerous tools and never should be touched by children.

My kids are learning gun safety even though I do not any longer have any actual firearms in my home. We do own a beebee gun that is kept, yep, locked in the safe. The kids get to shoot it every now and then with dad assisting and supervising. We figure it is a good way for them to learn gun safety and responsibility.

I talked to my daughter last night too. Just going over safety in general. Like I mentioned, she shoots at the range with me, but reminders about safety can't hurt.

I'm glad you supervise even with BB guns. You could get hurt with a BB gun too. There a too many parents that would just let a kid loose with one.

Parents have got to teach their kids basic safety. Just like you teach them not to touch the hot stove or not to run in the street, you have to teach them about the world. They are not forever in your care, and letting go is so hard, but it happens. Not every environment is as safe as your home.

You can't be with them every minute of every day, so they have to learn to think for themselves.

I started with "don't point a gun" back when the guns were legos. I still have a hard time with paintball, and only let them play on a closed course where there are rules about protective gear and shooting too close.

Perfect example: we were at my parents' house and Dad had decided to get out the old Red Rider to scare the squirrels. :crazy: I didn't have to tell any of my kids not to touch it - they came and told me it was there! Of course, then I had the unpleasant job of lecturing my father, but it's a perfect example of how someone might not think about kids in the house and leave a gun out.

This isn't just about guns. You have to teach your kids all kinds of things that might not apply in your home. I have talked to mine about what to do if they are riding with someone (including a friend's parent) who appears to have been drinking or using drugs, and all kinds of other things. Does that guarantee they'll remember or be safe always? No. But at least I have made the effort to teach them basic, life saving information. Lack of basic safety info is also what killed those kids in FL who left the car running and died of CO poisoning. Tragic and unnecessary!

That 14yo is less than a year from getting her permit and being allowed to learn to DRIVE. I sure hope she uses better sense behind the wheel than she did at this party.

The 14 year old contributed in her negligence to the death of her friend regardless of who left the gun where. She was not in her own home, handling someone else's property and trust me Nova, you dont just accidently jiggle a trigger. I took teen zig to the shooting range a couple of years ago when he was 14 and it scared the crap out of him - he thought it would be cool after paintball and airsoft guns. She was a contributory party...and old enough to know better as well as Mr. gun owner.

It's like off setting penalties.

As I've said, it's been over 40 years since I've fired a weapon, so I certainly bow to your knowledge, ziggy. TV makes it seems as if there are guns with "hair-triggers" that go off very easily. Not so?

FWIW, I'm not saying the 14-year-old shouldn't have known better. She should have. But she's 14; I assume the homeowner was at least 30 or so. I can't agree they have equal culpability.

There may be some hair triggers Nova - I've fired 38 revolvers, 9m, rifles etc., just seems like you must really squeeze to get the device to fire - I'm no gun expert and there are plenty I have not handled.

I get your point, he's older, but she was a supervening act that actually caused the damage to the girl. This is why gun owners get the brunt of the responsibility and I think it should be shared, that's all.

I'm glad to see posters who are using this story to educate! Whether you approve of guns or not, training and education are so important on both sides. Yes the man made an error in leaving the gun available, however, what if he were responsible 99.9% of the other times and this was just one of those things...

As I've said, it's been over 40 years since I've fired a weapon, so I certainly bow to your knowledge, ziggy. TV makes it seems as if there are guns with "hair-triggers" that go off very easily. Not so?

FWIW, I'm not saying the 14-year-old shouldn't have known better. She should have. But she's 14; I assume the homeowner was at least 30 or so. I can't agree they have equal culpability.

If this girl was 4, I certainly would agree with your, but 14 year old is not a baby. 14 year olds can be charged as adults if they commit crimes.

wow what a heartbreaker, and a very thought provoking situation for those of us not directly involved. I have guns in my home, and children. I grew up in split family, half were hunters and half were stone cold set against anyone having any kind of gun. I guess I have the unique experience to see both sides of the issue. Ours are long arms, no handguns is my own person rule. My 11 yr old boy has a .22. He knows how to handle it, has taken every safety course he can, and is never going to have a key to the gun safe, for any reason. thats the best safety I feel we can practice. The gun safe sits in the attic, with a set of stairs that are tucked up in the ceiling. The pull chain to drop the stairs is too high for any child to reach, we like it this way! This is such an avoidable tragedy IMO. I feel horrible for everyone involved

I think the man should never be allowed to own a handgun again. I don't know if I would go so far as to lock him up and throw away the key, anymore than I would prosecute the teen shooter. But I definately think some sort of consequence needs to occur. Its not as if the girl went into a drawer and got it even. Its not as if it were anywhere but laying on the piano in plain view. This was irresponsible gun ownership. Period. Was it criminal? I don't think there was any intent on either the gunowner or the teen that pulled the trigger. Was it wrong? Yes on both parties fault.

I think that adults in this day and age should never assume that children have parents who teach them responsibility, or even pay attention to them for that matter. A loaded gun in a house with visiting children and teenagers should always be locked away.

If this girl was 4, I certainly would agree with your, but 14 year old is not a baby. 14 year olds can be charged as adults if they commit crimes.

I think that's wrong, too.

Don't get me wrong. I know 14 isn't 4. But I think the science is pretty clear on brain development (and lack thereof) in teens.

There may be some hair triggers Nova - I've fired 38 revolvers, 9m, rifles etc., just seems like you must really squeeze to get the device to fire - I'm no gun expert and there are plenty I have not handled.

I get your point, he's older, but she was a supervening act that actually caused the damage to the girl. This is why gun owners get the brunt of the responsibility and I think it should be shared, that's all.

I'm glad to see posters who are using this story to educate! Whether you approve of guns or not, training and education are so important on both sides. Yes the man made an error in leaving the gun available, however, what if he were responsible 99.9% of the other times and this was just one of those things...

I agree there is mitigation in that the gun owner wasn't playing with the gun himself and if, indeed, it turns out he usually kept his gun locked away from teenagers. (Also, obviously, there is mitigation in his lack of intent to kill. This seems almost certainly a manslaughter, rather than murder case, and maybe not even that. I don't know OK law.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back