MO - Six Mohler family members for child sex crimes, Bates City 2009 #4

My husband spoiled it for me. He read the article before he even got it home. He said he knows far more about the case from WS than he does from the People article. Nothing really new.

I do like the title, though:

"A Family of Monsters?"

A couple of tidbits that might be something or not:

"Burrell Sr.'s current wife, SM, 63, told them [ETA LE] that she had recently banished him to the basement of their Independence home after finding a stash of child *advertiser censored* hidden above a ceiling tile."

To date, we've never had confirmation that true child *advertiser censored* was found (showing actual children under the age of 18).

"....hauled away boxes of *advertiser censored*, computers and videotapes they believe could show some of the alleged assaults."

Oh, if we could all be so fortunate.

"....recovered a broken jar..."

We've only heard about shards of glass. Hmmm

Believe, I misread your post. I thought that you'd said an interview with Burrell. You are correct that there is a comment by Ms. Burris, the neighbor, and one by Mr. Young. No interviews with the guys, however.

Info we don't have access to or sensationalism? I guess only time will tell.

Why are they wanting a change of venue??

A change of venue is usually sought when either the defendant was too well known in the county and it is believed that for that reason the defendant couldn't get a fair trial, or that the media coverage has been so extensive that it predjuciced (sp) the jury pool.

In this case there has been a lot of media coverage, and several of the defendants were ministers and fairly well known. Why they decided one needed a cov and not the others, I have no idea.

A change of venue is usually sought when either the defendant was too well known in the county and it is believed that for that reason the defendant couldn't get a fair trial, or that the media coverage has been so extensive that it predjuciced (sp) the jury pool.

In this case there has been a lot of media coverage, and several of the defendants were ministers and fairly well known. Why they decided one needed a cov and not the others, I have no idea.

and usually a COV is to a county that's not adjacent! :confused:

I wonder what's up w/ the justice system in Missouri.....sure hope there is no judicial sleight of hand magic tricks going on.

I keep checking back to see if there's any news on the Mohler 6. Hopefully, we'll get some updates soon. In the meantime, I'd like everyone to revisit some of the info we found earlier. This really sets "the scene" for me and reinforces the level of guilt these alleged (hard to type that word) victims are facing as they participate in this ongoing investigation and prep for trial. I'm sure their pain must be great.

I posted a link to this same page on the thread concerning the Irish bishops meeting with the Pope but thought we needed to relook at this with the Mohlers in mind.

Guilt is guilt but man, those Mormon bishops sure dished it out to survivors of abuse:

http://www.i4m.com/think/sexuality/mormon_sex_purity.htm

Some points to ponder from various General Conferences:

"The victim must do all in his or her power to stop the abuse. Most often, the victim is innocent because of being disabled by fear or the power or authority of the offender. At some point in time, however, the Lord may prompt a victim to recognize a degree of responsibility for abuse."

" . . . Your virtue is worth more than your life. Please young folk, preserve your virtue even if you lose your lives."

"...There is no true Latter-day Saint who would not rather bury a son or daughter than to have him or her lose his or her chastity -- realizing that chastity is of more value than anything else in all the world."

"Once given or taken or stolen it can never be regained. Even in forced contact such as rape or incest, the injured one is greatly outraged. If she has not cooperated and contributed to the foul deed, she is of course in a more favorable position. There is no condemnation where there is absolutely no voluntary participation. It is better to die in defending one's virtue than to live having lost it without a struggle."

....I posted a link to this same page on the thread concerning the Irish bishops meeting with the Pope but thought we needed to relook at this with the Mohlers in mind.

Guilt is guilt but man, those Mormon bishops sure dished it out to survivors of abuse:

http://www.i4m.com/think/sexuality/mormon_sex_purity.htm

Some points to ponder from various General Conferences:

"The victim must do all in his or her power to stop the abuse. Most often, the victim is innocent because of being disabled by fear or the power or authority of the offender. At some point in time, however, the Lord may prompt a victim to recognize a degree of responsibility for abuse."

" . . . Your virtue is worth more than your life. Please young folk, preserve your virtue even if you lose your lives."

"...There is no true Latter-day Saint who would not rather bury a son or daughter than to have him or her lose his or her chastity -- realizing that chastity is of more value than anything else in all the world."

"Once given or taken or stolen it can never be regained. Even in forced contact such as rape or incest, the injured one is greatly outraged. If she has not cooperated and contributed to the foul deed, she is of course in a more favorable position. There is no condemnation where there is absolutely no voluntary participation. It is better to die in defending one's virtue than to live having lost it without a struggle."

I've always been amazed by how most religions empower the man and blame the woman. Maybe its the fact that religions are created by men? :waitasec: The passage that I underlined is exactly what I am referring to. See the victim is blamed for the abuse, not the abuser. As most of you know from previous posts, I was molested as a child and then blamed and punished for letting the abuse happen. Our family was Catholic; however that religion use to have some very similar beliefs to the ones listed for the Mormons.

Sorry for going O/T, but I had to get that out. I hope the Mohler's are all found guilty and then prison justice can take over.

jmo

3 Mohlers Want Trials Moved
Brothers Face Numerous Charges Including Rape

POSTED: 9:30 am CST March 1, 2010
UPDATED: 10:46 am CST March 1, 2010

LEXINGTON, Mo. -- Three of six men accused of sexually abusing young relatives two decades ago in Missouri are asking a judge to move their trials out of Lafayette County.

David Mohler, Burrell Mohler Jr. and Roland Mohler are expected in court Monday as a judge considers their change of venue motions. The brothers are facing numerous charges including rape.

The three, along with brother Jared Mohler, their 77-year-old father Burrell Mohler Sr. and 72-year-old uncle Darrel Mohler, are accused of assaulting at least three and as many as six relatives on a farm near Bates City.

The trials of the father and uncle have already been moved to Clay County.

David Mohler, Jared Mohler and Darrel Mohler have posted bond. The other three remain jailed in Lexington.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/22703803/detail.html

TM--Did I miss something? I thought only Darrel was granted a COV and to a courthouse a whopping 40 miles away. I don't remember reading that Sr. had been granted a COV. If so, to where?

Also, are you finding any recent comments about this case? It's been very very quiet lately. I imagine, with all the evidence and disclosures that LE must be dealing with, the investigation is painstakingly slow. I can only imagine what those young people are going through. You know this must be cathartic but also so extremely disruptive.

Given the ages we know them to be, they must have families of their own. I really pray they have great support systems. I guess they've taken the high road and completely avoided the media. Good for them. I have a feeling that they are being well advised by the prosecutors. The prosecutors know all too well how nasty this is going to be.

They grant COV's and don't report it? This sounds like Sr.'s is a done deal. Did I miss it?

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/3-Mo-men-accused-of-child-rape-want-trials-moved-85826612.html

"The trials of the father and uncle have already been moved to Clay County.

David Mohler, Jared Mohler and Darrel Mohler have posted bond. The other three remain jailed in Lexington."

Sr., Jr., and Roland have sure been sitting in jail for a spell. I hope they like those Louis L'Amour books (remember, those books with maps were found in the searches). That's about all they'd have to do, being that they don't have writing materials or stamps. I hope they are squirming just a bit about their kids having free will to finally shine the light on this evil.

Alleged evil, sorry.

The fox4kc link in my post #26 above says Sr. didn't get a new judge or COV....I just checked casenet -- looks like he also was assigned Judge Harman & granted trial moved to Clay County.

02/03/2010 Docket Entry: Judge Assigned
Text: The Honorable Larry Harman (27120) is assigned to this cause by Supreme Court of Missouri.

02/25/2010 Docket Entry: Motion Granted/Sustained
Text: Court rules on the Motion for Change of Venue. Motion is granted. Change of Venue is transferred to Clay Co.
Associated Docket Entries: 02/01/2010 - Motion for Change of Venue

Docket Entry: Order for Change of Venue
Text: Clerk directed to send the Change of Venue transcript to the Clay County Circuit Court.
Associated Docket Entries: 02/01/2010 - Motion for Change of Venue

Docket Entry: Change of Venue
Text: TRANSFERRED TO COUNTY - Clay

So much for accuracy in reporting....guess we are gonna have to just check casenet instead of local news sources.

Layfayette County has approximately 33,000 residents. Clay County has approximately 215,000 residents. Given the history of Clay County, you don't think the Mohlers are working the martyrdom angle, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_County,_Missouri

"Many members of the Latter Day Saint movement found refuge in Clay County in November 1833. In 1836 mobs drove the members of the church from the county. Leaders of this church, most notably church President Joseph Smith, Jr. was imprisoned for some months in Clay county, in the jail at Liberty."

FWIW, the two courthouses are about 40 miles apart and Liberty is only about 12 miles from where the alleged kidnapping of the man who was later murdered occurred. Liberty is a suburb of Independence/KC and much more heavily populated. I'm assuming that the argument is that there will be a far greater jury base. But I hardly think that an adult in either county has not followed this case.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2010/03/01/2-mo-men-granted-new-judge-abuse-case/

Two Mohler brothers to receive new judges in cases

"Two of six Missouri men accused of sexually abusing young relatives two decades ago have been granted requests for new judges in their cases.

David A. Mohler and his brother Roland Neil Mohler want their trials on numerous rape and other abuse charges moved out of northwest Missouri's Lafayette County. The judge granted their requests Monday, so each one will have a new judge, who will decide later on the requests for a change of venue.

Another brother, Burrell Edward Mohler Jr., withdrew his request Monday for a new judge. But he's still seeking a change of venue, and a hearing on that motion was scheduled for April 5....."

FWIW, the two courthouses are about 40 miles apart and Liberty is only about 12 miles from where the alleged kidnapping of the man who was later murdered occurred. Liberty is a suburb of Independence/KC and much more heavily populated. I'm assuming that the argument is that there will be a far greater jury base. But I hardly think that an adult in either county has not followed this case.

Yep. The entire county of Clay is basically a suburb of Kansas City. Guess where Lafayette county gets most of its news from - Kansas City! It seems to me that it would have been wiser of them to move it to a more rural county away from KC or St. Louis if they were going for the impartial jury such as Pettis or Saline maybe.

Doesn't make much sense from me.

ITA, In da Middle, it doesn't make sense. Unless, of course, that the guys are hoping for certain judges. That's what frightens me the most. So many people in the Greater Independence and Kansas City Area are LDS, RLDS, or Community of Christ Church members.

I almost feel that this in a time where the religion of the judge could make a difference. These men were obviously well respected in their churches. Up-thread there are many many comments about services they've led, baptisms they've performed--for decades. I think there's a conflict of interest if the judge shares a religious history in any way with any of these men. The jury questioning is going to be intriguing too. Does anyone know if they can ask about a person's faith and/or church experience?

This case has been hauntingly quiet. It feels like LE and the family have circled the wagons. Most of the guys are just sitting in jail. I'm getting a very ominous feeling that this is getting bigger, rather than smaller. When they went in and executed the search warrants, they pulled out a remarkable amount of "stuff". I truly wonder where the investigation has led?

I was doing some checking back yesterday on some earlier articles and there's so much I'd forgotten. There's a story about several of the young women relating that they were taken around to different locations and photographed in sexual positions with naked men while they were young girls. I'd forgotten that. We have no idea if any of these photos were found. We do know, though, that photo albums were taken in the search. My guess is that LE has been very busy identifying men who could be in these alleged photos. Can you imagine the fall-out from just that? Then, add in the rapes, the murders, the flipped rings. I don't think we're talking hysteria here. I get a sense that there's far too many little details.

From the little we've learned about these kids (that one or two are in LE), I have the hardest time believing that this is a witch hunt. I think it would have fallen apart long ago if the "vindictive ex-wife" story had been true. I think we're about ready to have a veil parted.

Do pedophiles honestly think that kids forget? We've had so many cases recently with people in their 20s-30s coming forward to expose the horrors of their childhoods. I think that once these survivors start having their own children, they realize the evil that was done to them. They experience the tenderness of loving your childrenand doing everthing in your power to protect them--the joy of parenting. They hold that mirror up to their own childhoods. That's when they say, "Enough" and start talking.

Homicide claim could hinder Mo. incest, rape cases

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – Bizarre allegations of rape, incest and bestiality in western Missouri led to the arrests of six family members last fall and unleashed public scorn over the unthinkable acts they are accused of committing two decades ago.

But one of the more sensational claims — that one of the suspects forced their young victims to help kill a man — is creating an uphill climb for prosecutors that could sink the rest of their case, legal experts say.

Investigators say the sexual abuse allegations have been corroborated by six siblings, at least three of whom say they were raped and molested over a 10-year period beginning in the mid-1980s on a farm east of Kansas City.

Still, the case against Burrell E. Mohler Sr., 77, his brother and four adult sons could be compromised by the homicide claim. Authorities have yet to produce a victim or file homicide charges, and officials are mum about whether a homicide investigation is even under way.

Without a body, prosecutors could face larger doubts about victims' stories that defense lawyers could exploit.
---
and much more, at
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hQjYY6EwfWzKKgbfAvy7Dv-6-FXwD9E8CL700

While I'm intrigued by Mr. Draper's article, it is still conjecture. I think we're going to have to wait for the trial to begin and see what shakes out. LE is not showing their hand at this juncture, IMO.

FWIW, count the times the word "could" shows up in the article.

I can't see the prosecution bringing in the 'murder' during the trial w/o some way to present it as "what the children were made to believe".

No telling what else the children were made to believe to keep them under the control of their abusers.

This article that appears to try to cast doubt on the children's stories could just be a red herring.........there's plenty of people who will want to NOT believe these horrors were inflicted on children years ago.....that's the easy way out for too many, IMO.

We should face the fact that LE made a huge mistake in initially overclaiming misdeeds in this case and that the repercussions for the prosecution may be severe. Yes, the word "could" does appear often, as it always does when the discussion is about future possibilities.

I tend to believe the six siblings's basic stories, that they were abused over a number of years. But, from the beginning, I doubted the more elaborate claims, in large part because they echoed what has since been proved false in similar cases in the past, i.e., the claims made in the so-called Satanic ritual abuse cases in the 1980s.

That LE could not see the possibility of this problem is shocking, because there was a clear template from which to work - after investigation, announce the basic charges, then quietly investigate fully the more elaborate claims. The ramifications for justice in this case are alarming ones. Abusers may well go free because LE was not satified merely to solve a horrible series of crimes; instead, it grabbed for the headlines and endorsed ones which may have never occurred.

While I'm intrigued by Mr. Draper's article, it is still conjecture. I think we're going to have to wait for the trial to begin and see what shakes out. LE is not showing their hand at this juncture, IMO.

FWIW, count the times the word "could" shows up in the article.

Is this Draper guy bored?

The state & LE haven't made a big deal out of the 'murders'....IIRC, it was in the docs that the children said that's what they saw....also, IIRC, the sheriff's office said they were still investigating the 'murders'....so what makes Draper think it's a big part of the state's case? The state has been *very* quiet about their case.

Makes me wonder what Draper is up to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back