Mother outraged after son has teeth removed at school

Nothing to add really, but the picture of the boy crying in the article just broke my heart. :( traumatic enough to go through, but to have news people in your face and mom making such a big fuss, too....

I do have to wonder about missing the bus and having to walk home. Not cool if that's true.
ITA! Not cool either if they didn't give him anything for pain.

Terrible mother who allowed her child's teeth to get to a state that they needed to be pulled. Unbelievable.
It is possible that she's a fantastic mother and his teeth were fine and were pulled to make room for his adult teeth.
Also, I don't care what she signed, when they decided to pull the teeth she still should have been consulted. Then to top that off having his teeth pulled led to him walking home, presumably in some pain.

I signed a permission slip for the school nurse to give my daughter Advil, and I have always gotten a call before she is given it asking if it is OK with me. If that can be done then calling someone's mother to make sure pulling 3 teeth out of their child's mouth is OK could also be done.

It is possible that she's a fantastic mother and his teeth were fine and were pulled to make room for his adult teeth.
Also, I don't care what she signed, when they decided to pull the teeth she still should have been consulted. Then to top that off having his teeth pulled led to him walking home, presumably in some pain.

I signed a permission slip for the school nurse to give my daughter Advil, and I have always gotten a call before she is given it asking if it is OK with me. If that can be done then calling someone's mother to make sure pulling 3 teeth out of their child's mouth is OK could also be done.

She needs a visit from CPS and her kid(s) need to be removed if she can't care for them. There's a good view of his lower anteriors and I can tell by looking at them he has poor oral hygiene and that is HER fault--he's only 9.

Here's what she signed.

I request that the dentist perform a dental check-up on my child at school which includes exam, cleaning, fluoride, sealants and x-rays as needed, as well as other dental work as needed, including fillings, extractions of infected baby teeth, numbing the mouth and teeth and other procedures as described more fully on the back of this page. This permission includes future dental visits. I have read the IMPORTANT NOTICE AND CONSENT ON THE BACK OF THIS PAGE and understand and agree to its terms.

Back of page:

I understand and authorize S.K. Pesis D.D.S. Big Smiles Maryland, PC; OHIP Lawrence B. Caplin DMD, P.A.(Provider) and its affiliated dentists to provide the following services for the named child for whom I am the custodial parent or legal guardian: dental exam & oral hygiene instruction, teeth cleaning, fluoride treatment, x-rays & dental sealants. I authorize the dentist to fill any cavities or to place a crown over the tooth if needed. I authorize Provider to extract any problem baby teeth or perform a pulpotomy (treatment of the nerves inside the tooth) as needed. I understand that there are risks to dental treatment including swelling or pain that may occur from the injection of a local anesthetic or allergic reaction. (For additional information regardingtherisksoftreatmentandtreatmentalternatives,pleasecallthenumberprovided.)

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org...entricity/Domain/8832/2015 16 Dental form.pdf

Unsubscribing now--stuff like this is incomprehensible to me.

Getting dental care is just about impossible unless you have dental insurance or have cash upfront.

There are some kind of low interest loans for dental. I forget what they are called.

My dentist does some care for lowincome but it is limited because the supplies cost a lot.

I hope that this does not involve a lawsuit and then the free dental care at schools will stop.

Is is CareCredit? It has zero interest for a certain amount of time. I have had to have a lot of dental work this last year and we looked into it but if you do not have it paid off by a certain date, you have to pay all of the interest from the date of the charge. We opted for a 401K load where we pay ourselves the interest. (I had A LOT of dental work that had to be done! I quit smoking though because of it!!!)

She needs a visit from CPS and her kid(s) need to be removed if she can't care for them. There's a good view of his lower anteriors and I can tell by looking at them he has poor oral hygiene and that is HER fault--he's only 9.
Here's what she signed....
Back of page: ....
I understand and authorize S.K. Pesis D.D.S. Big Smiles Maryland, PC; OHIP Lawrence B. Caplin DMD, P.A.(Provider) and its affiliated dentists to provide the following services for the named child for whom I am the custodial parent or legal guardian: dental exam & oral hygiene instruction, teeth cleaning, fluoride treatment, x-rays & dental sealants. I authorize the dentist to fill any cavities or to place a crown over the tooth if needed. I authorize Provider to extract any problem baby teeth or perform a pulpotomy (treatment of the nerves inside the tooth) as needed. I understand that there are risks to dental treatment including swelling or pain that may occur from the injection of a local anesthetic or allergic reaction. (For additional information regardingtherisksoftreatmentandtreatmentalternatives,pleasecallthenumberprovided.)
http://www.baltimorecityschools.org...entricity/Domain/8832/2015 16 Dental form.pdf

^sbm

Gardenista. Thank you so much for locating the ^ form and providing the language.

As noted in my earlier post, IDK exactly what release/consent/form the Mother did (or did not) sign, if any; IDK if the boy did (or did not) receive any pain meds, etc. I did a quick search for updates but did not find any. Anyone? Still imo reporter's phrasing was unprofessional -- stating multiple things as facts, based upon only Mother's & child's claims. School PIO's mouth is silenced & gagged by HIPAA; seems reporter ASSumed.

And a second point. One or more vid-stories showed a hand w release/form, but only part of the text & some handwritten notations). If she did see it, I wonder why reporter did not add as sidebar or link release form (shown on TV news vids). Alternatively she could have asked school for a blank form &about procedure generally. Presumably the school would have provided her a blank form w no HIPAA prob. IDK why that line of inquiry was not pursued or at least not written about. As always, JM2cts.

Sympathy for Mom & boy for an unhappy and unexpected experience.

Here's what she signed.

I request that the dentist perform a dental check-up on my child at school which includes exam, cleaning, fluoride, sealants and x-rays as needed, as well as other dental work as needed, including fillings, extractions of infected baby teeth, numbing the mouth and teeth and other procedures as described more fully on the back of this page. This permission includes future dental visits. I have read the IMPORTANT NOTICE AND CONSENT ON THE BACK OF THIS PAGE and understand and agree to its terms.

Back of page:

Bingo!!!!!!

Mommy signed the form and then called the news to make a stink.
IMO the reporter should be ashamed of herself. If she would've spent five mins looking into this she would've saw that this isn't news worthy. A mom consented for care for her child and then got angry when the care was given. SMH

Flemming says she sees now that the consent form she signed in March 2015 mentions extractions of baby teeth, but she’d still want to be notified before such a serious procedure.

In a statement, the Oral Health Impact Project of Pipersville, Pennsylvania, says its policy is to “obtain signed, valid consent forms before any and all procedures.”

http://wtop.com/baltimore/2017/01/mom-sons-teeth-pulled-at-school-without-notification/

bbm Now she sees.

more "news" that shouldn't even be in the news :facepalm:

Exactly!!
There are so many other topics that are actually news-worthy that this reporter should be ashamed of herself. A child received dental care at school and mom signed consent but got angry is not news-worthy IMO.
How awful would it be if these dentists decided not to offer services in schools anymore because they don't want the moms throwing fits?!? These services are extremely important for a child and their overall well-being. If these services where taken away, a lot of poor kids would suffer.
It's not the dentists fault that mom didn't read the form before signing. If anything, she should be praising the dentists for caring for her son .

Flemming says she sees now that the consent form she signed in March 2015 mentions extractions of baby teeth, but she’d still want to be notified before such a serious procedure.

as far as i know, the parents/guardians have the option of being there during the dental checkups/procedures,

if she wants to be notified then she should be there,

i am sure this dentist does not go around randomly pulling teeth, there was obviously a good reason for it, if anything this is going to help the child in the future, not harm him, so whats the problem anyway?

Here's what she signed.

Back of page:

What is incomprehensible to me is that they didn't give the mother a heads up before pulling 3 teeth. Also, no one has a problem with this kid missing his bus because of the procedure and having to walk home? Why wouldn't the mother be contacted to let her know they were about to pull his teeth and he could likely miss the bus because of this?

What is incomprehensible to me is that they didn't give the mother a heads up before pulling 3 teeth. Also, no one has a problem with this kid missing his bus because of the procedure and having to walk home? Why wouldn't the mother be contacted to let her know they were about to pull his teeth and he could likely miss the bus because of this?

I am wondering if he was a walker.

I remember when my daughter (young) had a primary tooth that was filled and the shot /topical novocaine that was used caused her to rub her cheek/jaw and it puffed out. jmo

I am wondering if he was a walker.

I remember when my daughter (young) had a primary tooth that was filled and the shot /topical novocaine that was used caused her to rub her cheek/jaw and it puffed out. jmo

The article said that he missed the bus because of the procedure.

Where did you see that he wasn't given anything for the pain?????
At 1:27 in the video, the reporter asks why the child wasn't given medication after the procedure, which follows the question of why he walked home alone. And, @ 20 sec the reporter had stated the child is still brought to tears by the pain. The reporter seems to infer that the child wasn't given anything for pain afterwards, but does not state this outright. The vague reference to medication near the end of the video could mean an antibiotic, which is why I said IF he wasn't given anything for pain.

It's no surprise the little boy was upset by the procedure, and his mother over-reacted before thinking things through (re-reading the permission form and contacting the school/dental program for an explanation of why the procedure was performed). To the news station, this probably seemed like the perfect human interest story to boost their ratings, so they sensationalized it. So, I am saying IF the reporting is accurate and IF the mother and boy's story is accurate, and IF I understand their inferences correctly. As other posters have pointed out, only one side of the story is presented, so there are a lot of inferences.

MOO :moo:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ry-school-removes-son-teeth-article-1.2954628

.... To the news station, this probably seemed like the perfect human interest story to boost their ratings, so they sensationalized it. So, I am saying IF the reporting is accurate and IF the mother and boy's story is accurate, and IF I understand their inferences correctly. As other posters have pointed out, only one side of the story is presented, so there are a lot of inferences. MOO :moo:http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ry-school-removes-son-teeth-article-1.2954628

^bbm & sbm
Boosting ratings? Exactly.
At risk of:deadhorse: article was not professionally written. JM2cts.

I remember kids pulling out there primary teeth alot. Tying a string around it and tie the string to a door knob then close the door.

in 41 seconds

[video=youtube;95DgoikfiJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95DgoikfiJU[/video]

My ? is did the tooth fairy come? We got silver dollars for the tooth under the pillow.

If it's more than a cleaning, a parent needs to be present. Full stop. JMO.

Does pulling out baby teeth hurt?
It depends on if it was loose already or not. But my best guess and recollection from being little is that yes they're like any other tooth extraction when there's roots present still. Once it gets to that point where it's just "hanging on by a thread" is, I'm my experience, when it's time to yank it by whatever method and it doesn't hurt much as it's just got one root holding it in by then. My dad used "tooth pliers," aka needle nose pliers to pull ours out when they were loose enough to twist around in our mouths. Ugh. I can still taste that metal then metallic blood taste just thinking about it. I was typically hysterical about it, but not because it actually hurt it was just scary to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back