Mother outraged after son has teeth removed at school

If it's more than a cleaning, a parent needs to be present. Full stop. JMO.

The permission slip is there. I imagine they see tons of kids.

Were there questions asked about allergies or reactions to something such as novacaine?

When I was a teacher, we had teeth cleaning but there was no access to tooth pulling.

It is a tremendous service as dentists are almost impossible to access wothout money. I was always impressed with how kind and caring the volunteers were.

I believe that there was info sent out ahead of time about this service.

I do know many parents never look at notes from school. The children I taught were young so I would safety pin any important notes on their backs.The ones who did not get a note on a particular day would want one , too. Lol

The permission slip is there. I imagine they see tons of kids.

Were there questions asked about allergies or reactions to something such as novacaine?

When I was a teacher, we had teeth cleaning but there was no access to tooth pulling.

It is a tremendous service as dentists are almost impossible to access wothout money. I was always impressed with how kind and caring the volunteers were.

I believe that there was info sent out ahead of time about this service.

I do know many parents never look at notes from school. The children I taught were young so I would safety pin any important notes on their backs.The ones who did not get a note on a particular day would want one , too. Lol

I understand that procedure is apparently that a permission slip is enough, however, my personal feelings are that my child is not to have more than a cleaning done without my being present and without extra express written permission. I love that these kid have access to this service, however, having teeth pulled is frightening, especially for a kid whose parent isn't there. And then they let this kid walk home after missing the bus? With no parent or guardian there?

I hope there is more to this story we're missing because based on the info we have, I'm not ok with this.

The permission slip says that teeth may be pulled.

I get that the permission slip technically gives them that right. As a teacher, I would call home before something like this just to be sure the parents were aware... If nothing else, to cover my own butt.

As a parent, I would hope to be notified before they pulled my child's teeth. I've never actually looked at the forms my little one brings home from daycare because we have a family dentist she goes to. I never would have thought it was anything more than a checkup/cleaning, with a referral, if necessary, for anything more.

It's always good policy to read thoroughly before signing on the dotted line. That just seems like common sense to me.

I understand that procedure is apparently that a permission slip is enough, however, my personal feelings are that my child is not to have more than a cleaning done without my being present and without extra express written permission. I love that these kid have access to this service, however, having teeth pulled is frightening, especially for a kid whose parent isn't there. And then they let this kid walk home after missing the bus? With no parent or guardian there?

I hope there is more to this story we're missing because based on the info we have, I'm not ok with this.
I do think it would be better practice to schedule 2 visits by the dental team. Most dentists I have seen, even as an adult, have scheduled any dental work other than regular checkup and general cleaning for a future appointment. This seems a logical solution for school programs since visits to the dentist can in itself be a traumatic event for children and even more so if additional dental work needs to be done.

By scheduling a second visit by dentists in the program, only cleaning and checking for problems would be done during the first visit, then notes sent home with students requiring follow-up. That way, parents can know in advance of needed dental procedures and opt to be present during the follow-up visit. JMO

People are usually all about making sure the children feel safe and secure. It boggles my mind that we'd just be like "Oh well, kiddo, your mom sucks so you get to deal with the trauma and pain of this," with no apparent empathy for this child.

It is crystal clear that communication was missed in the permission slip. I get it. No need to keep repeating that fact. However, a child was sent home by himself at the age of 9 directly following a procedure involving multiple tooth extractions (which can be pretty painful and downright traumatic when you're 9 years old and don't understand what's going on and your parents aren't there). And people are just like... not upset about that lol.

It depends on if it was loose already or not. But my best guess and recollection from being little is that yes they're like any other tooth extraction when there's roots present still. Once it gets to that point where it's just "hanging on by a thread" is, I'm my experience, when it's time to yank it by whatever method and it doesn't hurt much as it's just got one root holding it in by then. My dad used "tooth pliers," aka needle nose pliers to pull ours out when they were loose enough to twist around in our mouths. Ugh. I can still taste that metal then metallic blood taste just thinking about it. I was typically hysterical about it, but not because it actually hurt it was just scary to me.

Heck, I remember loosing a tooth Sunday morning at church. The Pastor took me to the kitchen, sat me up on a counter and then stuck his finger into a nearby sugar bowl -- and applied the sugar to the now-empty spot to "stop the bleeding."

I lost another at a Shrafft's in New York City. The waitress took it to the kitchen & returned with it in a little white Chinese-restaurant style take-out box.

Didn't your Daddy wrap a fresh handkerchief around those pliers??? Mine did.

:seeya:

Heck, I remember loosing a tooth Sunday morning at church. The Pastor took me to the kitchen, sat me up on a counter and then stuck his finger into a nearby sugar bowl -- and applied the sugar to the now-empty spot to "stop the bleeding."

I lost another at a Shrafft's in New York City. The waitress took it to the kitchen & returned with it in a little white Chinese-restaurant style take-out box.

Didn't your Daddy wrap a fresh handkerchief around those pliers??? Mine did.

I don't think so, but I am comforted to know my dad was note the only dad that did that. Nobody else's dad did in my class at school. I just thought my dad was weird. (love him so much and still think he's a little weird :) )

I don't think so, but I am comforted to know my dad was note the only dad that did that. Nobody else's dad did in my class at school. I just thought my dad was weird. (love him so much and still think he's a little weird :) )

OT:

When you're driving down the road & are trapped behind that giant RV driven by the white-haired guy in the ball cap & plaid shirt, please please please don't cuss him, that's my Dad.

I do think it would be better practice to schedule 2 visits by the dental team. Most dentists I have seen, even as an adult, have scheduled any dental work other than regular checkup and general cleaning for a future appointment. This seems a logical solution for school programs since visits to the dentist can in itself be a traumatic event for children and even more so if additional dental work needs to be done.

By scheduling a second visit by dentists in the program, only cleaning and checking for problems would be done during the first visit, then notes sent home with students requiring follow-up. That way, parents can know in advance of needed dental procedures and opt to be present during the follow-up visit. JMO

This is a volunteer program where people give of their time. I know in my school district they served thousands of children. It is a free service and because of our horrible health care access, we are lucky to have people willing to give of themselves

This totally upsets me. The child would have been dismissed from the classroom. I seriously doubt the dental team released the child.

When the children get their services, the teacher does not go to the room where the services are provided. The teacher has the rest of the class.

I am really upset as this is an amazing program where people volunteer and go to schools and serve children for free. Why should they if they are going to get scorned and berated. I feel it is the old, "No good deed goes unpunished."

There are other things over the years that were eliminated as money became tight. We used to get a lovely volunteer who came from the power company and taught electrical safety. We had people from the hospital do poison safety, CPR, and a friendly program about feeling comfortable at the doctor or hospital. We had peoole from a nutrition program do some nutritious meals. And we had Good Touch, Bad Touch about body safety.

All eliminated. There is only so much negativity people will take when they do stuff for free.

I don't think anybody is upset at the program, honestly. Multiple people have said it's a fantastic program, myself included. I'm upset with the school. I can't speak for others though.

If anything, I'd say be upset at the school for jeopardizing this program in the future by not ensuring this kid is completely safe and covered. CYA and all. A piece of paper, when we've even said in this thread that we know most people don't read it thoroughly, is not enough to protect a kid IMO. Everyone knows parents skim over the mass plethora of papers sent home from schools (we get a veritable book of papers every single day here), so if it's a medical type procedure, it needs more that. Again, JMO. I LOVE that this program is available because I KNOW there are millions of people who can't afford it on their own. My issue is that the SCHOOL let this kid go through this alone and then released him into the world at the ripe old age of 9 years old right after having teeth pulled. I get angry again every time I think about it, tbh.

I don't think anybody is upset at the program, honestly. Multiple people have said it's a fantastic program, myself included. I'm upset with the school. I can't speak for others though.

If anything, I'd say be upset at the school for jeopardizing this program in the future by not ensuring this kid is completely safe and covered. CYA and all. A piece of paper, when we've even said in this thread that we know most people don't read it thoroughly, is not enough to protect a kid IMO. Everyone knows parents skim over the mass plethora of papers sent home from schools (we get a veritable book of papers every single day here), so if it's a medical type procedure, it needs more that. Again, JMO. I LOVE that this program is available because I KNOW there are millions of people who can't afford it on their own. My issue is that the SCHOOL let this kid go through this alone and then released him into the world at the ripe old age of 9 years old right after having teeth pulled. I get angry again every time I think about it, tbh.

As a retired teacher who had this program in the schools I worked in, I know zero about dental stuff. The only reason I know what happened with the dental in my school is that the last few working years I did not work in the classroom. I had a job where I worked ithe community but had an office in an emoty classroom that was used for multiple things because it was empty.

Each child would be picked up from the clasroom and brought to the dental area that was set up in the classroom..

A team of people worked on each child. As I was in and out, I never was there for a long.

As a classroom teacher, each child was taken from my room by a dental staff person. I could never leave my room as I had the rest of the students.

When a child would come back, I would know zero about what happened.

Juat as when a child goes to speech or occupational therapy or whatever services a child may receive.

The school is merely the place where the kids are. This could be done at a community center in weekends or evenings and parents could bring their kids. Obciously, the school day is the most convenient.

I cannot remember if a parent ever asked to be with the child.

Why the child walked home is not specified. The child should have gone back to the class and then had a normal dismissal.

If the child was upset, the dental staff should have handled it. They are undoubtedly used to thousands of kids. He certainly cannot be the first child who cried.

The whole story is bizarre. And if the child was released to walk when he should have been bused, that is a concern.

Was there an attempt to contact the parent? Is there a school nurse? What exactly happened?

The article states the child missed the bus due to the procedure, so I'm assuming it went past school classroom time.

As a retired teacher who had this program in the schools I worked in, I know zero about dental stuff. The only reason I know what happened with the dental in my school is that the last few working years I did not work in the classroom. I had a job where I worked in the community but had an office in an empty classroom that was used for multiple things because it was empty.

Each child would be picked up from the classroom and brought to the dental area that was set up in the empty classroom..

A team of people worked on each child. As I was in and out, I never was there for a long period of time so my info is limited.

When I was a classroom teacher, each child was taken from my room by a dental staff person. I could never leave my room as I had the rest of the students.

When a child would come back, I would know zero about what happened.

Juat as when a child goes to speech or occupational therapy or whatever services a child may receive, I have no idea of what the interaction was in a particular day,

The school is merely the place where the kids are. This could be done at a community center on weekends or evenings and parents could bring their kids. Obviously, the school day is the most convenient.

I cannot remember if a parent ever asked to be with the child.

Why the child walked home is not specified. The child should have gone back to the class and then had a normal dismissal.

If the child was upset, the dental staff should have handled it. They are undoubtedly used to thousands of kids. He certainly cannot be the first child who cried.

The whole story is bizarre. And if the child was released to walk when he should have been bused, that is a concern.

Was there an attempt to contact the parent? Is there a school nurse? What exactly happened?

People expect teachers and schools to be all things. We provide clothing, food, emotional and monetary support if a child needs money for activities aside from the education.

The parents need to do things such as read the notes that are sent home. Someone takes time during their lives to communicate . Whatever the note is about such as health concerns such as a lice epidemic, activities in the class or community, and on and on.

This is a volunteer program where people give of their time. I know in my school district they served thousands of children. It is a free service and because of our horrible health care access, we are lucky to have people willing to give of themselves
I do understand that, so not sure how practical my suggestion is. It's that the program would work smoother for children whose teeth need extra attention if a 2nd day were scheduled to address major dental issues. I recognize that it could interfere with the regular schedules of dental staff who volunteer their time and expertise visiting numerous schools in the community. I think the problem lies with people expecting schools to be all things, but it is the best way of ensuring that most children receive adequate dental care since most children attend public schools. JMO

I do understand that, so not sure how practical my suggestion is. It's that the program would work smoother for children whose teeth need extra attention if a 2nd day were scheduled to address major dental issues. I recognize that it could interfere with the regular schedules of dental staff who volunteer their time and expertise visiting numerous schools in the community. I think the problem lies with people expecting schools to be all things, but it is the best way of ensuring that most children receive adequate dental care since most children attend public schools. JMO

They do not and cannot do extensive dental work.

Flemming says she sees now that the consent form she signed in March 2015 mentions extractions of baby teeth, but she'd still want to be notified before such a serious procedure.

http://newsok.com/article/feed/1155845

FGS the nine year old had baby teeth extracted and mom signed the consent form. Some just refuse to give up that victim mentality and take responsibility.

If mom didn't want dental procedures done on her child she shouldn't have consented by signing the form. It seems simple and common sense to me. I don't know what I'm missing.

Flemming says she sees now that the consent form she signed in March 2015 mentions extractions of baby teeth, but she'd still want to be notified before such a serious procedure.

http://newsok.com/article/feed/1155845

FGS the nine year old had baby teeth extracted and mom signed the consent form. Some just refuse to give up that victim mentality and take responsibility.

If mom didn't want dental procedures done on her child she shouldn't have consented by signing the form. It seems simple and common sense to me. I don't know what I'm missing.

jmo You didn't miss anything, she missed it by not reading what she signed. Dollars to Donuts if she had read it before she called the news station to make the complaint she wouldn't have made that call. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back