MS MS - Jeffrey Hegwood, 23, Hattiesburg, 20 March 1980

Hi Richard,
I have the answers to these questions, but I am not sure about posting. I am Jeff's cousin and am trying to generate interest in Jeff's case again. I emailed Sleuthster about the person that claimed to be his brother, but Jeff didn't have a brother.
Thank you,
Deborah

Hi Richard,
I have the answers to these questions, but I am not sure about posting. I am Jeff's cousin and am trying to generate interest in Jeff's case again. I emailed Sleuthster about the person that claimed to be his brother, but Jeff didn't have a brother.
Thank you,
Deborah

Hi Deborah, I sent you an email back. Would be glad to help in anyway can.

The person claiming to be Jeff's brother did post on my blog anonymously which did seem odd. They never responded back either to my question about the date. He had said Jeff was missing March 20, 1979 and missing persons sites have have him missing March 20, 1980.

The person named anonymous doesn't say he is Jeffs brother, he/she said Jeff is my brother so maybe anonymous is a women and Jeffs sister

Wow, thanks Sleuthster. If neither sister wrote the comment I agree something is strange.

I wish there was more to the story of his disappearance. There isn't much to work with. I have so many questions. A family member or a friend needs to tell the story of his last day and a lot more about his life. We also need to know if his car is missing or if he had a girlfriend. If his vehicle was found, what was found and where was it found? Also, did he live at home or did he have a roommate? Maybe he was simply killed for flirting with the wrong girl. There are endless possibilities on this case, especially without any info.

Jeff's cousin emailed me today and said that one of Jeff's sisters did actually post on my blog. She posted annon so her name is not out there.

I hope that we can get some more info on his disappearance.

Jeff's cousin emailed me today and said that one of Jeff's sisters did actually post on my blog. She posted annon so her name is not out there.

I hope that we can get some more info on his disappearance.

Unfortunately without any additional info, this case will probably never be solved. It will always be on the back burner for LE. Maybe with some talk about it on the internet, people may come out of the woodwork or the responsible perps will get nervous or someone may come forward with a tip for LE. This case needs to be livened up.

Yes - whatever the situation is, we do not judge here. No matter his lifestyle, we want peace and closure for families of the missing. Please share his story with us and while we probably won't solve it or find him (though it has been done in the past!), we can help identify additional resources for you and provide a place to ask questions and get support. Many people here have loved ones that are missing as well.

Deborah sent me an email thanking WS for playing Jeffs info on the radio. She also sent me detailed explaination of the day Jeff disappeared and I asked her for permission to copy and paste it on here. Waiting for response.

Edit-She gave me permission to post this.....

Here's the message;

Hi Cindi,

Sorry to bother you again. I can't seem to figure out how to post on the web site so I am going through you. I listened to the radio show tonight, thank you again for having them talk about Jeff's case. I just want to mention a couple of things:

Jeff wasn't a Bartender; he was the owner of the coffee house next to the college he attended, the University of Hattiesburg, MS. He also has blue eyes, now brown and the photo posted doesn't really look like he did when he went missing. That photo was over a year old. His hair was a lot shorter and he had become what one would say is " a man ", not a youngster. He was very handsome.

The evening he went missing he had left work, went to the bank to make a deposit, then went to the store to get a bottle of wine for his date that evening and then went back to his apartment, he never made it to his date with his girlfriend. Sometime between the store, prior to 10:00 pm because that is when the liquor store closed and the time he went missing, he had gone back to his apartment. The wine and his wallet were left at his apartment and it looks like he left or was forced to leave and only had time to grab his keys. His car was involved in a minor fender bender a few minutes after 10:00 pm, but it wasn't Jeff driving. The car that was bumped had two girls in it that got the tag as he left the scene. They described someone other than Jeff driving the car. The description fit that of his roommate, all the way down to the shoulder length hair and baseball cap, both of which Jeff did not have. This all happened on a Thursday night. Jeff's car was found bogged down in mud in a alley in a warehouse district on the following Tuesday Morning, the police had done nothing for those first few days. The keys had been ripped out of the ignition and were laying on the floor of the drivers side. There were some people living in the area that heard a car driving extremely fast into the alley and noise, but unfortunately no one bothered to look.

Thanks,
(I omitted name)

Well it seems pretty clear who the POI is. Thank god those girls were smart to take the notes they did.

What would the motive be though? Was he drunk or drugged, or just freaking out and that's why he was driving so carelessly? His girlfriend or any friends I imagine would know of any problems between him and his roommate, I would think.

It wasn't Jeff driving the car. We have no idea if he was in it or not, but not driving or sitting up in the passenger seat. No problems with the girlfriend, was suppose to be on the way to meet her, never made it. No one ever came forward or divulged during the
investigation that there was any problems with the roommate.

Hi Cindi,

I forgot to mention that he also stopped to get his hair cut before he picked up the wine.

Thanks so much for the new information! This is very helpful.

I have many questions, but here are a couple off the top of my head:

Did the roomate know the girl Jeff was planning to see that night? Also, did Jeff ever tell anyone he was having problems with his roomate?

Side note: is it possible to get police to question the girl and roommate again? Sometimes stories change after many years have passed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back