Identified! MT - Missoula Co, 'Chryssie Crystal Creek' AsianFem 3UFMT, 20-35, Sep'85 Janet Lee Lucas

Doe says "white or biracial" so until she is actually identified, we are left to guess which is correct.

for what it is worth, the UID had light brown hair and I think most Japanese people have black hair.

Rhonda Lynn Yocom fits. She is of Asian (Filipino) descent. She was 19 when she disappeared in 1985. So within the timeline and also the right height and weight. The remains were skeletonized, so her tattoos are neither here nor there.

Where she went missing from (Oroville, CA) is still a good distance from Montana. But she had moved in with a biker guy and was using drugs (could explain the declining dental care.)

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1522dfca.html
RLYocom.jpg

I don't know about her likeness to the recon, but I thought I'd throw her out there.

Namus says Asian for race and says this in the dental section -

# 29 Screw-in dental post common to those used in Asia and unlike those used in North America and Europe.

I have found this 2004 article which contains some references to "Chryssie Crystal Creek"

http://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/missoula/skeletal-remains/Content?oid=1135677

I don't want to copy all of the references for copyright, but it talks about a girl who was writing a paper for her forensic anthropology degree and studied Chryssie very closely...

She marvels at her girl’s dental work—so unique, she enthuses, that it’s amazing no one has been able to identify her. She has a root canal under one of her incisors. And gaping cavities in some of her molars. Wimbrow suspects that her girl had access to excellent tooth care until about a year before her death, when she “let them go to pot.” One of the things Wimbrow wants to know is why. Other examiners have speculated that Chryssie Crystal Creek was a smoker and, judging by the distribution of the tobacco stains, that she was right-handed.

One expert has speculated from the condition of the pelvis, which was found in three pieces, that she had had a baby. They base this assumption on a tiny divot called the preauricular sulcus. Others contend that the preauricular sulcus doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with childbirth. Striking a balance between objectivity and subjectivity, science and its interpretation, is one of the things that intrigues Wimbrow about forensic anthropology.

Just thought I would paste this in as it mentions there is a chance she had at least one child which I can't see mentioned on Doe Network

Rose Marie Gayhart

Missing since March 14, 1985 from Livingston County, New York

Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 8, 1962

Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old

Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 110 lbs.

Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, curly hair; brown eyes.

Marks, Scars: She has a scar below her chin. Faint scars around nose and eye, which may not have been noticeable. Stretch marks from prior childbirth. She wears eyeglasses.

Dentals: Available.

DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Gayhart lived in the 50 block of northeast Barron Way in Fort Myers, Florida in 1985. Gayhart has never been heard from again. Her family believes foul play might have been involved in her disappearance.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/508dfny.html

Did you ever receive an answer on this? I'm curious because Rose now has a forum set up & I'd like to try to track which UIDs are ruled out. Seems not to be in her NAMUS at this time. Thank you!

FL FL - Rose Marie Gayhart, missing since 14 March 1985 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Bumping to see if anyone has heard answers on above question?

Is it just me or does she not look like real Asian? I'm looking at the reconstruction and I'm not seeing Asian I'm seeing like Hawaiian or Alaskan. Does that make sense? I know it's all Asian but... I don't know. Does anyone see what I'm saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me or does she not look like real Asian? I'm looking at the reconstruction and I'm not seeing Asian I'm seeing like Hawaiian or Alaskan. Does that make sense? I know it's all Asian but... I don't know. Does anyone see what I'm saying?

I think you mean, she doesn't look EAST Asian (Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Siberian/Eastern Russian) as opposed to: Filipino, Indian, Native American, etc.

------------------------------------------------
Now, I have some questions:
So in this case, only skeletal remains were found. How to they figure the time of death being around 1983-1985 (ie. within the last 2 years of being found)? How accurate are probable years of death when only skeletal remains are found?

Also, how accurate is age with skeletal remains? How many years can they be off? It lists her as probably 20-35. Is it possible she was in her early 40s?

Bumping! No rule outs on NamUs... Any news?

She appears very Asian to me. The cheekbones look like classic Japanese ones to me (I have Japanese family members). Though I find the reconstruction to be a bit cartoonish, at least in the eyes. And no offense to the artist, but I thought the first version looked like a Muppet. Particularly as the eyelids look non-existent.

Nevermind, I poked around some and found this:

"Authorities identified a victim of serial killer Wayne Nance...nearly 22-years after her body was dumped near Bonner. In December 1984...the sheriff's department recovered her body, but have spent more than two decades trying to find out who she was, where she came from and how she ended up with Wayne Nance.

"DNA helped authorities finally identify one of serial killer Wayne Nance's victims. Her name is Marcella Cheri Bachmann also known as "Marci." Bachmann's brother, Derek, found his sister in a Cold Case series featured on MontanasNews Station.com.

"Marcella Cheri Bachmann was a runaway from Oregon last spotted in Vancouver Washington in early 1984. Case files suggest Bachmann hitch-hiked to the Missoula area and met Wayne Nance at the Cabin Bar in Bonner where he worked as a bouncer. Several workers there say she went by the name "Robin" and lived with Nance.
"Weatherman: "When she was no longer around - he told people she got on a bus and left town."

"But, on Christmas Eve, 1984, hiker encountered a foot sticking out of the snow in the woods above the Milltown Dam. The victim had no name...but later authorities linked the murder to Wayne Nance, serial killer who struck the area in the 1980's. Since then, retired sheriff's captain Larry Weatherman remained committed to the case. It haunted him long after he retired...that this young victim had no name, no one to mourn her...and no proper resting place. Up until this week...her remains were kept in a county storage room.

"Marci's family wants to give credit to the Green River Task force for helping them even after they determined she wasn't a victim of Gary Ridgeway, a Seattle-area serial killer. They also want to thank Missoula County Sheriff's captain Greg Hinz for submitting Marci's DNA to a national registry. "

There is also the Washington connection of his previous victim, Marcella, pointed out by Angie previously. It proves he hunted in Washington around the same time as Nhi went missing.

There's no way we can ask Nance himself...

Because he was shot and killed in a home invasion in 1986.

So to those of you who are thinking "let's ask him" (I know some of you are) - it's not possible, sorry.

Sorry I'm another newby. I was wondering if Jean Le Chiu was ever ruled out for Crystal Creek since she was last seen talking to a tall white male. I have attempted to find Nance's whereabouts at the time of her disappearance and thought as a delivery person possibility of being in California at the time. Any thoughts?

The Nameless

Christy Crystal Creek was around 20 when she left home somewhere in the southeast U.S. and started hitchhiking. She stepped out of a semi-truck in the parking lot of a bar and went inside. Soon, she met Wayne Nance, who later shot her twice — point blank, execution style — and left her body in the woods.

Maybe.

No one knows what happened to Christy, or if they do, they’re not saying. In September 1985, a bear hunter found skeletal remains scattered across a hillside near East Missoula. When investigators arrived, all they found were the bones, two bullets lodged in the skull and small tufts of hair. There were no personal items like clothing or a purse, only the bare bones of Christy, and no one knew who she was.

Very little is known about the body of Jane Doe 3UFMT, nicknamed “Christy Crystal Creek” after the road near where her body was found. Nothing is known about how she ended up dead on a hillside outside Missoula, or why she arrived there in the first place. Even her age is an educated guess; she could have been anywhere between 19 and 21.

5ca56aebe002d.image.jpg

(click to enlarge)

The only absolute things about her are the two .32-caliber bullets that ended her life.

Sydney Bacon, 43, chose to study Christy’s remains for her forensic anthropology master’s thesis in 2004 at the University of Montana. Her choice to study Christy was motivated, in part, by the criminal aspect of the case. But what intrigued her most was the mystery surrounding Christy’s life and death.

Bacon hoped studying the bones would nail down some facts about the woman’s identity. And she hoped, even though she says she shouldn’t have, that she might be the one to finally identify the body.
---
She concluded Christy was indeed female, between 4-foot-11 and 5-foot-2. The width of her hips indicated she may have once been pregnant, even given birth.

She died between 1983 and 1985.

She had light brown, wavy hair most likely treated with a perm.

She underwent extensive and rare dental surgeries up until approximately a year before her death. She probably smoked cigarettes, staining one side of her mouth.

Christy’s body proved she had been well taken care of for most of her life. And now, she was forgotten. She’s been stuck in a box, in an evidence locker, for 30 years.
---
Since Christy’s death, it has been assumed — thanks to books like John Coston’s “To Kill and Kill Again: The Terrifying True Story of Montana’s Baby-Faced Serial Sex Murderer” — that she was a victim of Wayne Nance. Nance, who allegedly murdered four people in the Missoula area before dying in the botched attempted murder of Kris and Doug Wells, cannot be definitively linked to Christy’s murder. The only major connection between Christy and Nance’s other victims is the area where their bodies were found. Nance dumped two murder victims linked to him outside East Missoula, near Turah.

“We can try to assume [Christy was Nance’s victim],” said Judge Robert Deschamps, 75, of Missoula, Montana. “But we can’t know for sure.”
---
Christy was found in the wintertime, but her body might have been exposed to the elements for two years.

The Nameless

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-5_3-56-41.png
    upload_2019-4-5_3-56-41.png
    73 bytes · Views: 3
Please forgive me but I must say this, it’s driving me nuts. Seems insignificant, I know, but she’s already gone long enough without her true name. I saw she was given an endearing nickname, “Chryssie Crystal Creek, but I’ve only see one person other the original poster refer to her by the correct nickname. Is it possible to get the thread title changed accordingly? :oops:

Possibly?? Age is way off but the rest seems to fit IMO
https://www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/8501?nav
Missing Person / NamUs #MP8501
Chiu Le Jean, Female, Asian
8FC673C6-B450-41FC-9EFF-4EA86D2FBBFC.jpeg EB70E4FF-3320-4732-9AB6-BC7B7111C5ED.jpeg
Date of Last Contact: September 13, 1983 (‘83-‘85)
Missing From: San Diego, California (Montana)
Missing Age: 45 (20-35)

Nickname/Alias: Jean, Lilly; Jean, Li-Ching; Chiu, Lilly; Chiu, Li-Ching; Le, Chiu-Li-Ching
Height: 5' 0" (5’0”)
Weight: 100 lbs (100 lbs)
Hair Color: Black (varies)

Left Eye Color: Brown (unknown)
Right Eye Color: Maroon (huh?!)
Clothing: A white blouse with flowers
Jewelry: A diamond ring

Circumstances of Disappearance: Subject was last seen by her husband at the Rock&Roll Nightclub and Bowling Alley. She was talking to an unknown tall white male. The husband went to the car to wait for her, and after about 20 minutes he went back into the bar, but could not find her.

Namus says Asian for race and says this in the dental section -

# 29 Screw-in dental post common to those used in Asia and unlike those used in North America and Europe.

I wish we could see more information on the basis for these assumptions. For example is she 'believed' to be Asian (or part-Asian) based on DNA or it is based on skull/bone studies? Have isotopes shown she has lived in the US but is of Asian heritage, or has actually lived offshore?

And what is this "Asian-style dentistry"? Asia is a massive region with a huge amount of variability amongst medical standards. What part of Asia is this "work" from? I have lived/worked in N and SE Asia for most of my career and there are particular centers known for their dental work ie: Thailand. People fly from all over to have their dentals in places like that, because the quality is excellent and the cost much cheaper than at home. It's not necessarily an indicator of heritage.

(Oh gosh I'm sorry, I just realised this sounds very critical/harsh. I'm sure MT police are doing their very best and I don't mean to infer that they are not.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back