GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder since one is arrested and one is still being questioned if that signifies not-so-equal involvement? I keep thinking the older one is the actual perpetrator and maybe the younger one is otherwise involved in covering it up....

The school district claims Sherri is deceased, but not LE and so far we don't know if they found the body.

Very odd the way this is being reported.

I wonder if the tip from a member of the public had anything to do with the newly posted reward for Sherry? I'm glad someone came forward, regardless though. If that's the case, it's sad it takes money to do the right thing.

I can't recall a single case in the USA where a witness came forward for the reward who would not have come forward anyway. If you follow my meaning!

I think the value of rewards is that it generates more media stories. The more media stories, the more likely it is that someone who has some information that they did not initially realise could have been pertinent finds out about the case and sends in a tip.

As a purely made up example: say there was a hit and run accident in Trenton, New Jersey. The victim is an ordinary, working class man, no one that has ever attracted media attention before. That might get only local media coverage.

Let's say that someone in the victim's family worked for a local gazillionaire, who is touched by that employee's grief and need to know who was responsible. The gazillionaire offers a $50K reward, which turns the local media story into a national media story.

The next door neighbour of someone who lives in a little town in Ohio knows her neighbour drove to Trenton and back recently. She notices that his car has extensive front end damage it hadn't had before. She also has seen her neighbour driving too fast and carelessly in the neighbourhood (in her opinion).

If the story had remained a local media story, she probably would never realise she knew something that might be salient to the case. But since the reward made the story go national, she goes "hmmmmm" and decides to call the tip line--maybe it's relevant.

And that's how the hit and run driver is caught.

His neighbour wasn't really motivated by the money; it was just that the money made it into a big enough story in the media that she noticed it and put it together with her neighbour's car damage.

If the hit and run accident had taken place in their little town in Ohio, that neighbour would have phoned in the tip without a doubt. But until she read about the case in New Jersey, she had no reason to think her neighbour's car damage was anything important to anyone but the owner.

The above, I emphasise, is completely hypothetical but it resembles the way several cases I've read about were solved.

What I find is sad is that so many things like hit and run, etc, happen every day that unless there is some way to involve money, the media cannot possibly give equal coverage to each incident.

at this time we don't even know if this was hit and run either....

we truly don't know much...

I can't recall a single case in the USA where a witness came forward for the reward who would not have come forward anyway. If you follow my meaning!

I think the value of rewards is that it generates more media stories. The more media stories, the more likely it is that someone who has some information that they did not initially realise could have been pertinent finds out about the case and sends in a tip.

As a purely made up example: say there was a hit and run accident in Trenton, New Jersey. The victim is an ordinary, working class man, no one that has ever attracted media attention before. That might get only local media coverage.

Let's say that someone in the victim's family worked for a local gazillionaire, who is touched by that employee's grief and need to know who was responsible. The gazillionaire offers a $50K reward, which turns the local media story into a national media story.

The next door neighbour of someone who lives in a little town in Ohio knows her neighbour drove to Trenton and back recently. She notices that his car has extensive front end damage it hadn't had before. She also has seen her neighbour driving too fast and carelessly in the neighbourhood (in her opinion).

If the story had remained a local media story, she probably would never realise she knew something that might be salient to the case. But since the reward made the story go national, she goes "hmmmmm" and decides to call the tip line--maybe it's relevant.

And that's how the hit and run driver is caught.

His neighbour wasn't really motivated by the money; it was just that the money made it into a big enough story in the media that she noticed it and put it together with her neighbour's car damage.

If the hit and run accident had taken place in their little town in Ohio, that neighbour would have phoned in the tip without a doubt. But until she read about the case in New Jersey, she had no reason to think her neighbour's car damage was anything important to anyone but the owner.

The above, I emphasise, is completely hypothetical but it resembles the way several cases I've read about were solved.

What I find is sad is that so many things like hit and run, etc, happen every day that unless there is some way to involve money, the media cannot possibly give equal coverage to each incident.

I tend to agree with this. I do think, though, that money could be a motivating factor for an unsavory type to turn someone in, when otherwise they wouldn't have the good conscience to do so.

My thinking is that one of them in custody is talking and has indicated she is dead, but they have not recovered her body yet.

I'm thinking someone has confessed but the body has not been recovered yet. Maybe perp waiting for a plea deal before telling LE where body is?

Of course it's MOO

I think LE needs to try this presser again... and look at what is already out there in media land (what the school said, the local paper, the family.. .I mean they have done an interview already re: her death)...

this is just nutz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member